The Mid Season Review

Young Dee

Good time to assess our list and direction.

Here is what Paul Roos thinks of the list and season so far:

Part 1:

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/2014-05-22/roos-mid-season-review-part-1

Part 2:

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/2014-05-22/roos-mid-season-review-2-jetta-and-player-improvement

I for one am very happy with the direction of the club and would never have thought we would have 3 wins at this point in the season (and against Carlton, Adelaide and Richmond).

But this season is not just about wins - it is rebuilding the MFC from the ashes. I think we have already begun to see this through a shift in the culture at the club.

I don't think you can underestimate the psychological effect in football.

We can clearly see the defensive structures building and once we have a good grasp of that we can begin with the offensive side of the game.

As far as the list goes - I think we have a good core group of players (Jones, Viney, Tyson, Vince, Frawley, McDonald, Dunn, Dawes + JKH, Salem, Toumpas etc) but our depth is weak and I expect that will be fixed come draft/trade time.

I am looking forward to the rest of the season!

How do others see:

1. the direction of the club

2. the current list

Edited by Young Dee
  • Like 1

The thing i am most enjoying about this year is that as Mike Sheehan said he would, Roos has improved every player on the list by 30% imo, and we have Hogan and Trengove to come back and i have a feeling Trenners will be a totally different player when he does.

the most rewarding thing for me about our wins is they have scored a couple of goals at the start of each of those games and got the jump on us and we didn't panic, just stuck to our plans, starting to ingrain a belief that we can win every game, even if we are behind. rays of culture starting to shine through.

• Like 3

How do others see:

1. the direction of the club

2. the current list

1. In the best hands its ever been in

2. its more solid and packed with potential than any other 2--3 win team but still has a bunch of deadwood which will be cleared at seasons end, and replaced with handpicked talent by Roosy, Taylor and Todd. We will then have a very good list with proper player development in place. its gonna be exciting.

The thing i am most enjoying about this year is that as Mike Sheehan said he would, Roos has improved every player on the list by 30% imo, and we have Hogan and Trengove to come back and i have a feeling Trenners will be a totally different player when he does.

the most rewarding thing for me about our wins is they have scored a couple of goals at the start of each of those games and got the jump on us and we didn't panic, just stuck to our plans, starting to ingrain a belief that we can win every game, even if we are behind. rays of culture starting to shine through.

Yes Trengove seems like a forgotten player to me - I had almost given up on him till he announced that he had been struggling with injury. I hope he can come back fitter, faster and stronger.

The great thing about Roos is how he has shifted the pressure of certain individuals (draftees, Toump, Trenners) - Under Neeld these players would be straight in the side and under the microscope but as a supporter you almost forget about these players.

We already have a good core midfield in Jones, Viney, Tyson, Vince - when you add on Tomp, Salem you have a decent midfield not to mention we might find some dimonds in the rough (Michie, Harmes, Hunt etc).

Now we need to target a key backman (preferably a good kick) and possibly another good ruck prospect)

Yes Trengove seems like a forgotten player to me - I had almost given up on him till he announced that he had been struggling with injury. I hope he can come back fitter, faster and stronger.

The great thing about Roos is how he has shifted the pressure of certain individuals (draftees, Toump, Trenners) - Under Neeld these players would be straight in the side and under the microscope but as a supporter you almost forget about these players.

We already have a good core midfield in Jones, Viney, Tyson, Vince - when you add on Tomp, Salem you have a decent midfield not to mention we might find some dimonds in the rough (Michie, Harmes, Hunt etc).

Now we need to target a key backman (preferably a good kick) and possibly another good ruck prospect)

Trenners will only add to the midfield depth that we are starting to build and basically comes back as a first year player, i reckon he is going to add alot.

i am fairly comfortable with Gawn, Jamar and Pedo doing bits of the ruckwork, but i'd like one more young ruckman also as depth

I really hope Chip stays and Roos settles him in at CHB, i reckon he is at his best when he runs and creates.

1. Roos is amazing and deserves all-australian coach

2. Our best 22 is pretty good, but players like Nicholson and Strauss make my head hurt

• Like 2

1. Roos is amazing and deserves all-australian coach

2. Our best 22 is pretty good, but players like Nicholson and Strauss make my head hurt

I'm not even sure what our best 22 would be at the moment without injuries, maybe

Dunn Mcdonald Jetta

Grimes Garland Terlich

Vince Tyson M.jones

Bail Hogan Watts

Gawn Dawes JKH

Jamar Viney N.jones

Cross Pederson Howe

Trengove

I'm not even sure what our best 22 would be at the moment without injuries, maybe

Dunn Mcdonald Jetta

Grimes Garland Terlich

Vince Tyson M.jones

Bail Hogan Watts

Gawn Dawes JKH

Jamar Viney N.jones

Cross Pederson Howe

Trengove

No Love for Frawley, Sassy?

Back: Jetta, Dunn, Garland

Half-back: Grimes, McDonald, Howe

Mid: Vince, Viney, Cross

Half forward: Watts, Hogan, Pedersen

Forward: Gawn, Dawes, JKH

Foll: Jamar, N. Jones, Tyson

I/C: Trengove, Salem, Frawley

Sub: Bail

Emer: M. Jones, D. Terlich, J. Toumpas, Riley, Michie

Seems like a pretty good side.

• Like 2

Imagine if Roos could repeat the additions to our midfield like he did last year. i.e another batch like Tyson, Vince, Cross.

a nice thought.

Or instead go for one - a superstar (we don't have one...yet)

No Love for Frawley, Sassy?

Back: Jetta, Dunn, Garland

Half-back: Grimes, McDonald, Howe

Mid: Vince, Viney, Cross

Half forward: Watts, Hogan, Pedersen

Forward: Gawn, Dawes, JKH

Foll: Jamar, N. Jones, Tyson

I/C: Trengove, Salem, Frawley

Sub: Bail

I reckon that team has a couple of questions marks over it.

1) Jetta might make it. His Adelaide game was excellent. But he must show some consistency for the remainder of the season.

2) I'm not sold on Grimes at all. If his disposal and decision making doesn't improve, he won't be best 22 for mine.

3) Whilst I hope he'll be a star, Hogan hasn't played a game yet. But obviously, I hope we can answer that question before the end of this season.

4) Trengove will be very fringe unless he can recapture some of the form he showed at the start of his career. I'm hopeful he will be able to do this under Roos, but we'll have to wait and see.

The rest of the team is looking solid. They'll only get stronger, providing they continue to play their roles and therefore play more footy together. For 2014, I'm pretty happy with the strides we've made. Another draft where we target another mid (with two/three years under their belt - think Treloar, Shiel, Prestia etc), pick up a KPF and another experienced B grade mid (ala Vince) and we can start to aim for the fringe of the top 8.

I reckon that team has a couple of questions marks over it.

1) Jetta might make it. His Adelaide game was excellent. But he must show some consistency for the remainder of the season.

2) I'm not sold on Grimes at all. If his disposal and decision making doesn't improve, he won't be best 22 for mine.

3) Whilst I hope he'll be a star, Hogan hasn't played a game yet. But obviously, I hope we can answer that question before the end of this season.

4) Trengove will be very fringe unless he can recapture some of the form he showed at the start of his career. I'm hopeful he will be able to do this under Roos, but we'll have to wait and see.

The rest of the team is looking solid. They'll only get stronger, providing they continue to play their roles and therefore play more footy together. For 2014, I'm pretty happy with the strides we've made. Another draft where we target another mid (with two/three years under their belt - think Treloar, Shiel, Prestia etc), pick up a KPF and another experienced B grade mid (ala Vince) and we can start to aim for the fringe of the top 8.

1. I'd still have Jetta in for that game alone

2. Grimes is the captain, they don't really get dropped

3. Hogan is in our best 22, no explanation needed, he'll get chucked in when he's fully fit

4. Trengove will capture his 2010-2011 form, remember he was running around with a stuffed foot

With the list we have at the moment this is what i'd say would be the best 22

What is with the flute in the background of the review?

He is talking about improving a footy team - not defeating Sauron down at Mordor.

Although if we beat Geelong down there he can keep the flute...

• Like 4

What is with the flute in the background of the review?

He is talking about improving a footy team - not defeating Sauron down at Mordor.

Although if we beat Geelong down there he can keep the flute...

..ssshh, its our secret, weapon.

I'm very happy with the direction at the moment. There has been a marked change in the comments coming from players in the last month or two which gives me real hope.

The list still needs work. We are seeing that more and more with the guys at Casey. The brutal honesty of the most recent VFL review was very revealing in that respect and shows that while we have capable players waiting in the wings, they are lacking in the crucial "non-negotiable" areas that are becoming more and more a focus at the club. Beyond that, there is a crucial lack of class in the senior 22 which is hurting us badly and needs to be addressed before we will be contending for finals.

• Like 1

1. I'd still have Jetta in for that game alone

2. Grimes is the captain, they don't really get dropped

3. Hogan is in our best 22, no explanation needed, he'll get chucked in when he's fully fit

4. Trengove will capture his 2010-2011 form, remember he was running around with a stuffed foot

With the list we have at the moment this is what i'd say would be the best 22

IMO:

1. He needs to be consistent. One game does not a player make.

2. If they lose the captaincy they do.

3. Naturally, but he hasn't played a game yet, so some of the hope should be tempered.

4. Let's hope so. He doesn't done it yet though.

Fair enough.

As for the direction of the club, it is building some strong foundations and appears to have enough business acumen to form a strong business model. This is something we haven't had in some time, if ever. PJ and Bartlett need to take a lot of credit for this. This will be tested/measured when AHG come up for the sponsorship renewal. If they re-sign you can bet your bottom dollar the business/personnel side of the club is resonating in the broader business community.

The current list is good without being great. The difference between the top and bottom sides usually has to do with 2 thigs:

1) The bottom players in the entire list - for us Harmes, Hunt, King etc.

2) And secondly by the bottom 4 players in the best 22. Jetta, Salem (only because he is young), Byrnes, Terlich who continue to look shaky at many times during a game.

But our biggest list problem is the lack of development in Strauss, Tappy, Nicho, Blease, Fitzy etc... who have been on our lst a while and keep on coming in and out of the team. I am a huge Blease fan but if this season continues as it is going, I reckon he is gone at season's end. All these players are probably going to be replaced with Michie, Riley, Jordie etc...

The turn around in confidence and positivity at MFC at present is remarkable, but the work is only just beginning. We are a long way from being a strong, leading, successful club. Benchmarks for me:

• 40,000+ members
  • Defeating teams in the top 8
  • Repeat sponsors
  • Free agents and traded players lining up to come to MFC

October 2014 - February 2015 will be a massive time for MFC. This will show how far we have come and if we are building something special.

• Like 4

I think the club and list is pretty much exactly where we should expect it to be. Don't forget, with our run after the bye we'll still be looking at probably 6-7 wins, which to be fair is the minimum we should really have expected this year. Next year is when we really take off, I think.

• Like 1

I think the club and list is pretty much exactly where we should expect it to be. Don't forget, with our run after the bye we'll still be looking at probably 6-7 wins, which to be fair is the minimum we should really have expected this year. Next year is when we really take off, I think.

While Roosy (for obvious reasons) will never mention it on the club website, I have heard less and less about the boys post 6 p.m. antics at Riva and Motel this year. I wonder what the drinking policy is at the club at the minute?
Of course, if there is one, it will be easier to enforce with Col and Beamer elsewhere...

A mid season review after round 9

Gotta love the MFC website lol

While Roosy (for obvious reasons) will never mention it on the club website, I have heard less and less about the boys post 6 p.m. antics at Riva and Motel this year. I wonder what the drinking policy is at the club at the minute?

Of course, if there is one, it will be easier to enforce with Col and Beamer elsewhere...

Jonesy's review is up. The admiration I have for that man knows no bounds.

What's going on with the background music btw? :huh: It sounds like something you'd hear at a massage salon.

Can't help yourselves really can you, the negativity has to appear doesn't it, can't you just say the reviews were good and it is nice to see the Club letting us know the thoughts of the Senior Coach and the 2 captains, then again!!!