Players to target at the end of the year

As for Tom Mitchell, yes he's a decent player.. But not one I'd be wanting to pay overs for.

He's a 180 cm contested ball winner who doesn't provide much else and we're screaming out for classy mids who can provide our midfield with some flair.

Viney

Jones

Cross

Tyson

They're all hard at it contested ball winners. We need some power mids who can break games open with their speed, penetrating kicking and decision making. Players that opposition players will hate dealing with.

Yes I'm talking about you Dangerfield...

• Like 1

Trading our first round picks including the one we'd receive if Frawley left and receiving Tom Mitchell and Gary Rohan would be nothing short of a disastrous off-season..

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, nooooo thanks.

Not Sure why you would think Disastrous off season?? We get 2 pretty good mids! Would love Parker but swans I highly doubt would let go? They would want 2 first round picks, he is great but one player doesn't make a side or 3 mids which rosy said we really needed!!!

Not Sure why you would think Disastrous off season?? We get 2 pretty good mids! Would love Parker but swans I highly doubt would let go? They would want 2 first round picks, he is great but one player doesn't make a side or 3 mids which rosy said we really needed!!!

Because it would be Tom Mitchell and Gar Rohan for potentially two top 5 picks....

Are you mad?

• Like 2

Because it would be Tom Mitchell and Gar Rohan for potentially two top 5 picks....

Are you mad?

And how many years have we recruited top draft pick that haven't quite turned out??? not say Roos can't develop them but we are in more need for blokes who been in the system for a bit! Plus there is no guarantee those young bloke will be ready for round 1 next year

Are you mad?

No, you would only trade one pick for the 2 of them. There is no way for both picks and even then you would need to have a serious think about it.

I would definitely go to the draft with one pick though.

• Like 1

We can get far far BETTER for our (potentially) two first round picks, hell I'd even say our trade for Tyson/Salem is better than that. Tom Mitchell has played 4 AFL games this year while Rohan has played 6, they haven't proven themselves yet so to say give them both our first round picks is beyond me...

I say keep our very first pick, trade the other, for someone who is PROVEN and who has CLASS. I'll even do pick 4 + Toump, for Dangerfield. We have the cap, and expect Roos to get a huge scalp this year. He's impatient for success and he says we need class, Patty will do us wonders.

I would offer Levi Greenwood a serious contract, and one he couldn't say no to.

He's out of contract, he's a ball magnet goalkicking midfielder and has had a seriously good year.

I'd offer Greenwood a $3 million 5 year contract. I think he's about 24 so about to hit his prime.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

No, you would only trade one pick for the 2 of them. There is no way for both picks and even then you would need to have a serious think about it.

I would definitely go to the draft with one pick though.

I don't think you understood the conversation that was going on..

A poster was suggesting two top 5/10 picks for those two players, not me.

I don't think you understood the conversation that was going on..

A poster was suggesting two top 5/10 picks for those two players, not me.

I understand the conversation but it came off a point I made earlier about who would be packaged up with Mitchell for one pick. I agree with you that there is no way you would trade 2 top 10 picks for those two. I know your posts well enough 'steve' to know you would never have suggested that.

...and as for Rohan, I know a lot are sceptical and for good reason. The only reason I would put Rohan in the mix is that we have Roos and Stone on board who would be all over him as a player and know if he is right for us or not. If we went for him at the end of the year you can bet that he would be a good get.

Anyone think John Butcher from port could be a option to replace clark up forward.. His still only young and has kicked 28 goals from 11 games in the SANFL. I remember one season might have been 2011 he finished the year with a bag of goals and looked to have found his place at AFL level but injuries/form and Schulz, westhoff form keeping him out. He was a top pick so he obviously has talent but his goal kicking was always an issue. I think he could be worth a punt if we didn't have to give much up for him.

I understand the conversation but it came off a point I made earlier about who would be packaged up with Mitchell for one pick. I agree with you that there is no way you would trade 2 top 10 picks for those two. I know your posts well enough 'steve' to know you would never have suggested that.

...and as for Rohan, I know a lot are sceptical and for good reason. The only reason I would put Rohan in the mix is that we have Roos and Stone on board who would be all over him as a player and know if he is right for us or not. If we went for him at the end of the year you can bet that he would be a good get.

Fair enough then..

But I still wouldn't feel comfortable even with one of those top 5 picks for Mitchell and a player.

Just wouldn't sit well with me.

I would offer Levi Greenwood a serious contract, and one he couldn't say no to.

He's out of contract, he's a ball magnet goalkicking midfielder and has had a seriously good year.

I'd offer Greenwood a $3 million 5 year contract. I think he's about 24 so about to hit his prime.

Don't be be fooled.

North have Harvey, Dal Santo, Swallow, Cunnington, Zeibomb etc all players opposition teams would target ahead of Greenwood.

He is having a good year thanks to these guys, but I honestly don't rate him too highly.

And I certainly wouldn't be offering 3 mill to him for 5 years.

When Roos says our midfield lacks class etc, he is talking about genuine A grade mids who can determine the results of matches.

Not topping up on B grade mids who are made to look a lot better than they are due to the players around them.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 1

Fair enough then..

But I still wouldn't feel comfortable even with one of those top 5 picks for Mitchell and a player.

Just wouldn't sit well with me.

Not sure on that one either but feel Roos would have a good handle on his true value. That's an advantage we have.

Don't be be fooled.

North have Harvey, Dal Santo, Swallow, Cunnington, Zeibomb etc all players opposition teams would target ahead of Greenwood.

He is having a good year thanks to these guys, but I honestly don't rate him too highly.

And I certainly wouldn't be offering 3 mill to him for 5 years.

When Roos says our midfield lacks class etc, he is talking about genuine A grade mids who can determine the results of matches.

Not topping up on B grade mids who are made to look a lot better than they are due to the players around them.

Agree on Greenwood, he's been good but his disposal is very iffy. If we're spending that kind of money it has to be for a potential A grader.

• Like 1

I'd be very interested in Greenwood if he was still on the outer at North and we could get him on the cheap. Unfortunately he had to go ahead and have a stellar season and cement himself in their best 22.

• Like 1

Andrew Gaff is OOC at the end of this year,

i'd offer him a good contract to come home, and our second rounder and steak knives, he is not worth our first rounder in my opinion.

• Like 1

Andrew Gaff is OOC at the end of this year,

i'd offer him a good contract to come home, and our second rounder and steak knives, he is not worth our first rounder in my opinion.

I don't really think he is worth that 'Mike'. A real outside player who struggles with a tag and can't get his own ball, not what we want.

I think Gaff would be a significant upgrade over Rohan Bail, but not many players get an opportunity to run along the wings these days, with defensive structures and rolling mauls.

His type is dying out with the current rules in place.

Agility and quick bursts of acceleration in tight spaces are much more valuable.

• Like 1

Roos really liked the giving up of pick 2 for a quality player plus a later first rounder. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same deal again with GWS. Buy one, get one free.

Here is a name that appeals as a potential bargain... Brad Sewell.

Another hamstring injury has meant another 4-5 wks out. This year has been ruined by injury. At 30, hawks are likely to offer him at best a one year deal. He is surplus for them and has tasted premiership glory already.

We should offer a 2 year deal. We need on field leaders. We need centre square clearances. We need midfield depth. Sewell in exchange for pick 80 or exchange in trade for James Strauss (who is likely to be delisted anyway).

The Cross experiment has worked. I agreed with this, despite being howled down by some of this site. Why not again?? on the proviso we buy as a late pick trade , delisted FA or swap for a player we would delist anyway

Edited by spirit of norm smith

Here is a name that appeals as a potential bargain... Brad Sewell.

Another hamstring injury has meant another 4-5 wks out. This year has been ruined by injury. At 30, hawks are likely to offer him at best a one year deal. He is surplus for them and has tasted premiership glory already.

We should offer a 2 year deal. We need on field leaders. We need centre square clearances. We need midfield depth. Sewell in exchange for pick 80 or exchange in trade for James Strauss (who is likely to be delisted anyway).

The Cross experiment has worked. I agreed with this, despite being howled down by some of this site. Why not again?? on the proviso we buy as a late pick trade , delisted FA or swap for a player we would delist anyway

If Sewell came for free like Cross then I wouldn't say no. With a depleted Hawks midfield he still came in and played very well. For a year or 2 it might be worth looking at.

I certainly find it interesting that Tom Mitchell is averaging about 30 disposals a game in the seconds and yet Brandon Jack and Zac Jones who have averaged less, have been getting games ahead of him in the seniors.

His in his third year at the Swans and at no point has there been any media release of him re-signing or extending his contract.

We know the Swans cap is ridiculously tight and I won't be surprised if he is on the table at the end of the year seeking more money and more opportunity - certainly worth it.