WATTS, SHORT CIRCUITING OR NOT?

picket fence

Use your body Jack. There were times you could have muscled your way into the action. You can do it!!

I wonder,if Watts was a bit crook, like Fitzpatrick.

I think the Big H has an unspecified back problem 426. Wouldn't mind drafting that Malfoy kid seems to have a fair bit of mongrel about him. Also heard Snape may be unrestricted free agent, he has real attitude. Then they may have to call us the Mighty Dementors.

Always thought that Malfoy looked a bit like David Rhys-Jones...

This guy is maligned by MFC supporters to a degree that surprised me.

I have defended Watts over the journey, but my will is weakening.

I have always thought that Watts-the-midfielder was ambitious, because he will never have the tenacity and love of the contest. I think Roos fell in love with the Mundy/Fyfe tall mids and thought Watts could emulate them.

He will either be:

A hit-up forward with a good conversion.

A floaty winger that we use (with Howe) for the get-out kick when we exit D50

A backman that will be better than Frawley

Trade-bait to a decent side

The MFC has a history of drafting boys you want your daughter to marry, rather than those you want to go to war with.

Edited by TGR
  • Like 4

Always thought that Malfoy looked a bit like David Rhys-Jones...

Yes I can see that. What about Snape and Sticks Kernahan? Or is it just the mullett?

"you can't judge a book by its cover". HOWEVER

I guess my biggest problem with Watts is that he doesn't look like he is trying hard enough.

We hate skill errors and bemoan a players lack of leg speed but we move on.

Lack of effort ( and I grant you that it may be perceived) burns badly.

My biggest fear is that he is trying his hardest

• Like 1

I have always thought that Watts-the-midfielder was ambitious, because he will never have the tenacity and love of the contest. I think Roos fell in love with the Mundy/Fyfe tall mids and thought Watts could emulate them.

He will either be:

The MFC has a history of drafting boys you want your daughter to marry, rather than those you want to go to war with.

Like Rod Grinter, Martin Pike, Dean Chiron, Anthony Ingerson, Brock McLean and Rod Owen?

Edited by ManDee

Does anyone else think that Judd looks like Voldemort ?

N Jones or G Ablett & C Judd have all been doubles at some time for Voldemort

This crap about Watts being mistreated needs to end. If that's the biggest concern is his life he's doing alright, it was nearly five years ago.

Yep so it did, but that does not lessen what happened at the time.

Is Watts over it or does it still rankle in his mind, who knows ?

Roos made a point of emphasising that, that type of behaviour towards a young player would not happen under his watch

Strange Roos thought it important enough to mention even before he actually started coaching , I wonder why that was ?

But then again you seem to be more informed than most and obviously understand how Watts feels or should Feel

"Grow up Watts get over it, you are an AFL Footballer now, get out there and play some real football".

Who Knows maybe you are just right ! :lol:

He will either be:

Agree TGR but who would trade and for what?

How Roos goes about the education of Mister Watts will tell us a lot about how we will eventually go as a team. Everything now is a sort of prequel to the main event. The REAL transformation of the list.

Does Roos bash his head against a wall ? Does he mecurially manage to find the magic button and turn Pinocchio into a real boy ? or Watts into a Real man's man footy player ?

Some seem confused by many of the comments here. its not so much that he doesnt try, he does. He does put much effort in but to what result. He tries, and tries many of us to the extreme..

What some including myself are saying: anything he does man on man is to no effect. How can you get away with this at AFL level ?

maybe its different these days but in my day as a player you were taught to tackle and tackle hard. You were educated that there are many fold reasons for this. 1) a legitimate opportunity to physicially hurt the opposition 2) If done properly it broke their run of play 3) You end up with the ball either by them dispensing it to your advantage or you got the free and not to be slighted or taken lightly 4) your opposition player might get spooked and think twice next time....yes INTIMIDATION !!

when ol Jackie tackles does ANY of this transpire ?

Thats the beef..simple as

• Like 2

If there ever will be a game when Watts will go out to play for his career you'd think it would be this weekend. I was very critical of him after last week but I still hope he comes good.

We used to say similar things about Sylvia

And it never really happened .

For different reasons I fear a similar fate for Watts

We used to say similar things about Sylvia

And it never really happened .

For different reasons I fear a similar fate for Watts

I can't see Roos being as patient with a player not prepared to do the basics as our previous coaches

I get all the JW support, concern and disillusionment. I'm not sure JW really realises the massive opportunity playing AFL footy is.

Anyone else hear only recently when Vince was being interviewed on a radio station (can't remember which one) and they were doing their usual jokes with him being a bit of a "party boy", which I may add he handles and gives back like a seasoned comedian dealing with a heckler, and they asked him if he had any "party competition" at the club and who did he name that likes to stay out late? Jack Watts.

I get that players need release, breaks and down time etc. but if I was so maligned as poor Jack, and constantly had the spot light on me, I would be doing everything in my powers to shake the doubters, and bloody make It. Including training, and behaving like a complete professional.

I just think he enjoys being named as an AFL player, but doesn't quite realize what he actually has. Perhaps that is what Roosy spoke to him about? Who knows.

• Like 1

I get all the JW support, concern and disillusionment. I'm not sure JW really realises the massive opportunity playing AFL footy is.

Anyone else hear only recently when Vince was being interviewed on a radio station (can't remember which one) and they were doing their usual jokes with him being a bit of a "party boy", which I may add he handles and gives back like a seasoned comedian dealing with a heckler, and they asked him if he had any "party competition" at the club and who did he name that likes to stay out late? Jack Watts.

I get that players need release, breaks and down time etc. but if I was so maligned as poor Jack, and constantly had the spot light on me, I would be doing everything in my powers to shake the doubters, and bloody make It. Including training, and behaving like a complete professional.

I just think he enjoys being named as an AFL player, but doesn't quite realize what he actually has. Perhaps that is what Roosy spoke to him about? Who knows.

Getting back to a Neeld comment. We have a lot of players who are just happy to be on an AFL list. What we need is players who see that as a bare minimum and won't be happy until they are holding the big cup at the end of the season.

• Like 1

Hang all this Latin

I have always had a lot of sympathy for Jack Watts. He is not built to play tough man on man footy against key defenders - and I thought that Roos' decision to develop him as a midfielder might be a turning point for him. He ran hard against St Kilda and won a lot of the ball.His body language was positive.

Since then he has had to spend a bit of time as a forward - and his apparent unwllingness/inability to apply pressure to the opposition seems to have returned - even when he is in the midfield. In many ways I found his lacklustre performance on Saturday one of the most disappointing aspects of the game. I just hope he was carrying an injury.

I agree with those posters who have said that they believe that Roos regards "Project Watts" as a special challenge. Whether or not he is dropped this week or named on the bench or named to start in the midfield will tell us how patient Roos is prepared to be.

i went back to the recording of the Suns match to watch & see again. I've only got thru the first Qtr to this point & surprisingly up till that point, he hasn't been a disgrace. trying to win the ball around the stoppages, just in a non aggressive fashion.

so his efforts that I've seen, so far in this game, may have been more energetic than I thought, but still too soft a fashion.

I'll get thru the rest of the recording to recheck my earlier impressions.

I still wonder if he'll play.

Who does he play for? :)

Slytherin

• Like 3