Casey Scorpions v Geelong

Whispering_Jack

soon, I think Biff.. But I hope they wait another week or 2. to allow his newfound football to really settle into his memory banks.

he's starting to play how I imagined he would, about 3 years ago. I to was too impatient for him to come on. to much pressure from the start in a weak melbourne team.

Unless another long term injury opportunity opens up Nev can't play until round 12 when we will automatically be able to elevate another rookie.

I saw Riley's highlight package when we recruited him and instantly fell in love ( not that there is anything wrong with that !).

He is suicidal hard at the ball with a nice bit of pace to boot.

He is my new smoky to be a gun ( my previous smokeys were Newton, Gysberts and Bennell - sorry Aidan)

you're due for a win!

• Like 1

One of the best official vfl reports I've read if it is from an official source. Descriptive, encouraging, pulls no punches and makes it clear what needs to be improved but also gives credit where it is due.

its fantastic isn't it. I wonder if our postings about more honesty have been picked up on & respected. less cloke & dagger, more respect for us all.

& more accuracy for us all to read.

I like the way the clubs heading as we speak.

its easy to feel proud when things are like this.

• Like 2

Unless another long term injury opportunity opens up Nev can't play until round 12 when we will automatically be able to elevate another rookie.

Oh, thought we might have a LTI spot still available. I don't keep up with the office side of things like that.

thanks jack.

I saw Riley's highlight package when we recruited him and instantly fell in love ( not that there is anything wrong with that !).

He is my new smoky to be a gun ( my previous smokeys were Newton, Gysberts and Bennell - sorry Aidan)

Newton, Gysberts... What did you possibly see in them that made you think they'd be guns?!

Aiden may not join that group of delisted players, but he definitely won't be a gun. I'll tell you that now so you don't get your hopes up.

Good god man.

You've just hexed the pigdog. (there's a sentence you don't say every day)

• Like 1

Newton, Gysberts... What did you possibly see in them that made you think they'd be guns?!

Aiden may not join that group of delisted players, but he definitely won't be a gun. I'll tell you that now so you don't get your hopes up.

like a lot of us, blind hope of change probably.

Elaborate.

the bits I noticed, & I wasn't fully focused to say the least, is that the toump got ball when in space mostly.

I'd like to see him win more hard ball, getting that into his game ass well. especially at VFL level.

Yep agree and therin lies the problem. Would not play him until he starts to win his own ball. Not hard to get into space and pick up cheap possessions.

We are not yet at the stage where we can afford the luxury of an outside mid paced receiver. We won on the weekend because we had more goers than in previous games. We had more players that were prepared to work hard and win the hard ball and do the 1 percenters. Add the flair with Roosy's coaching moves and you had a very committed playing group that worked extremely hard.

Nup, Jimmy Toumpas needs to show a lot more to earn a call up in my book!

Edited by picket fence

Elaborate.

I'm just of the view that Aiden Riley won't become what those in the industry would term 'gun'.

I don't believe he'll reach those heights. I've seen him play, and I don't think he possesses the attributes to become a gun.

He's a hard-nosed rough around the edges footballer in the same mould as someone like McKenzie.

I have also seen him play and he's better than Mc Kenzie by far!

Will complement our mid field nicely. Just what the Doctor ordered a not so poor mans Ollie Wines!

Love it!

Gysberts highlight package looked good - his NAB form and magoos form looked good and his first few games looked great - then nothing - if the world stopped after his first 3 games then we you would suggest the recruiters looked like geniuses.

Newton was always more speculative for me ( as his draft pick 43 suggests) - he always showed glimpses - unfortunately he showed nothing more than glimpses and rare cameos.

I gotta say Steve - you gotta get yourself into the "then" - not what you know now. Tapscotts first few games - we looked pretty inspired with his selection too - not looking so flash now though.

Looking at Riley - great form mainly shown at Sturt which is a whole different level - but was the clearance king - his problem being that every time he ramped up with a good period of form he would get himself injured - he also found it hard to break into what is Adelaide's strength - their midfield - the same reason that Vince is now with us.

I have also seen him play and he's better than Mc Kenzie by far!

Will complement our mid field nicely. Just what the Doctor ordered a not so poor mans Ollie Wines!

Love it!

Rileys disposal is quite good - but he was used both in the SANFL and his few appearances with Adelaide in a different role than McKenzie - comparing him to Wines is fairer than comparing him to McKenzie.

McKenzie has purely been a shut down footballer - Saty's post about McKenzie getting more involved as link man is right. I am no apologist for McKenzie but have seen him pretty much do whatever the coach has asked of him. Was he a little more positive in output on Saturday ? - yup - exactly what Roos apparently was asking for.

I'll judge McKenzie on what he delivers going forward this season not what he has done previously.

( the reason I am quite gung ho on McKenzie - is because he has the unbelievable appetite for the contest and has a great attitude. I absolutely see his limitations - Whilst he doesn't have the same abilities as Jones I rate him the equal in his attitude to extract the best out of himself. Under the proper tutelage of Roos and Stone I can see him extracting every last bit of talent out of himself - whether it is good enough time will tell)

Had to laugh at the VFL report for Bleasey:

Sam Blease: Unfortunately, Bleasey went to tackle a bloke early in the first quarter and he tackled him with his chin and knocked himself out. He didn’t take any further part in the game. It was by the 10-minute mark, so that was his day.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2014-04-15/vfl-player-review-round-two

Bit of humour from Brett Allison

• Like 3

I suspect that bypasses my belief that Lucas Cook would be a great for us. He's gone into fashion apparently and may well one day design a terrific away jumper for us. So I'm not totally conceding.

Gysberts and Morto could help knit them for us too RTG-to build up their arm strength!

• Like 1

This has probably already been done to death but i like this part. This guy is really pursuing his life long dream. Small steps but he's on the way.

James Harmes: He played inside mid and had a really strong game. He went hard and showed his strength of winning contested football. It was a really strong performance from him and it will put him in contention for Casey seniors next week.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/south-east/lifelong-melbourne-football-club-fan-james-harmes-fulfils-his-demon-dream-through-draft/story-fngnvoeu-1226769698721

Edited by Rusty Nails