The continuing saga of Melbourne's injury list - 2014

alpha33

There are six players on the 2014 list that are IMO are lead in our saddle bags.

The reason is that for a number of seasons now they have given us very few games and are constantly injured.

The prospects for them given much contribution this year and beyond are minimal.

Jamar, since 2010 he has spent more time injured than playing. His contribution has been one good season in 2010.

Gawn, two knee reco's he is into his fifth season and has 17 games to his credit. Now has hamstring tightness and will probably be out another x weeks. If you cannot get on the park you are useless.

Dawes, the master of soft tissue injuries twelve games so far and god knows when he will front in 2014.

Clark do I need to list the saga of problems? No

Strauss into his sixth year for 24 games, broken legs and seemingly a major injury in four of his six years, ordinary player who is barely AFL standard.

Tapscott into his fifth season for 45 games, came to us with a hip injury and has I don't believe had one injury free pre season. Plays the tough guy but does not seem to have the body to go along with it. Injured constantly and again is barely AFL standard.

These players are chronic injury problems IMO will not get any better.

As soon as possible these players should be replaced.

I know it is easier said than done. As soon as contracts expire move them on.

If we can negotiate early termination lets do it.

If you cannot get on the park then all the talent in the world is of no use.

We need players that can be part of playing side, the above are liabilities.

• Like 8

There are six players on the 2014 list that are IMO are lead in our saddle bags.

The reason is that for a number of seasons now they have given us very few games and are constantly injured.

The prospects for them given much contribution this year and beyond are minimal.

Jamar, since 2010 he has spent more time injured than playing. His contribution has been one good season in 2010.

Gawn, two knee reco's he is into his fifth season and has 17 games to his credit. Now has hamstring tightness and will probably be out another x weeks. If you cannot get on the park you are useless.

Dawes, the master of soft tissue injuries twelve games so far and god knows when he will front in 2014.

Strauss into his sixth year for 24 games, broken legs and seemingly a major injury in four of his six years, ordinary player who is barely AFL standard.

bOLD move there OD :) but I concur. Sticking to just 6 even is hard

Many wont agree, many simply think you persist for its own sake with no regard to the actual motive for the club to exist. Its not a benelovent society and yet many would treat it a convalescence holiday for all these lovely lads.

We arent a clever club by a long way.... not unti we have more able to get on the park.

you have my vote OLD

Might be wrong but wasn't tapps' hip injury a result of a rogue sprinkler during pre season with us.

...but yes we seem to have a lot of frail players on the list.

Might be wrong but wasn't tapps' hip injury a result of a rogue sprinkler during pre season with us.

No he definitely had it when he hit us.

I'm not even sure of the situation of his contract, honestly if it ends this year unless he really shows something he shouldn't be offered another contract. Not enough from him in his time at the club. Same goes for Strauss, will need to show something this year.

Clark has another year to run and Dawes is at the club for another two years after this unless I'm much mistaken so unless they retire they'll still be on the list next year.

Gawn I think we should persist with, and Jamar has one more year to run unless I'm mistaken. The decision to give him as long as we did is up there with one of the worst in recent history, we showed him way too much faith in his body. Should've been two years with option of third and if he walked so be it.

Spot on OD. If you can't get on the park after many repeated efforts, then your body is not up to AFL.

We have our fair share of bodies that cannot sustain the rigours at this level, and it's killing us.

That would instantly wipe out 3/4 of our list.

We already knew theu were 50/50. 3 players will be cut from the team...not sure how thats a positive.

Because they haven't been cut already as most of the doomsayers around here have assumed.

Gawn I think we should persist with, and Jamar has one more year to run unless I'm mistaken. The decision to give him as long as we did is up there with one of the worst in recent history, we showed him way too much faith in his body. Should've been two years with option of third and if he walked so be it.

Gawn is still young and big blokes take time, I'd be sticking with him for another couple fo years.

Jamar should have been a year to year proposition, whoever gave him a 3 year contract should no longer be employed professionally. We have made so many BASIC errors in drafting, recruiting and list management over the years that we really have no right to be considered a professional club. Even armchair experts can see the routine amateur mistakes we make again and again.

Add to OD's list those who aren't/are no longer up to it - guys like Pedersen, Byrnes, Nicholson, Bail. That's 10 players, or more than a quarter of the team, who give us nothing year after year.

Replace some of our NQR's with guys like Shuey, Zaharakis, Sloane, Talia, Darling, Wines and our team takes on a vastly different character.

Given the nature and style of player that Roos has looked at /garnered I really have to wonder who on our list would be there had these/his parameters been used over the last 4-5 years

Now youre cooking Gonzo... .Once you get the swing of things you'll find half the list is nqr

You are a ruthless old bastard OD but is hard to fault your argument. As a poster above said Gawn is still young and his body may harden up. I believe Dawes has the class we need but needs to get on the paddock very soon.

What is it that makes some blokes durable and others apparently injury prone?

Genes,luck,fitness regime etc?

I said on here the year Jamar had his best season, that we should clear him. He was in high demand and we could have got a decent player and a good pick or even 2 picks. Many on here laughed at me. Since then he has given us nothing.

• Like 2

I can. You saw why tonight.

Stanrge comment. 24 touches at 75%, 4 clearances, 9 inside 50s, and a flying punch through the goal at the end which helped seal the game in a tight finish - a change of fortunes for Ricky (*cough*queensbirthday*cough*)