• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Friday 31st January, 2014

All the Jacks

I was at a few training sessions last year and we weren't that good. Only bloke who thought we were really super amazing fantastic good was Neeld and that infamous 'training the house down' quote. Not going to lie but through these reports my rep will be on the line come the opening month of the season.

Good to hear tas but I wasn't having a go at you as such just wary of the positive training reports and our past performances in rd 1.

Don't get me wrong I hope this season our training transposes to on the field performances and the last 7 yrs will be a distant memory.

Thanks for the reports by the way greatly appreciated especially as I am interstate.

• Like 1

F$k cars....talking about footy here or what?

You're my favourite poster.

You know that.

Rogers Ramblings:

After much cutting and pasting in recent weeks (thanks Tassie) I thought it high time to squeeze in a training session and have gone for quantity over quality. Being the last night before Febfast, I could not entertain typing stuff last night.

I got there a little late but looked to have only missed on some stretching. The drills all looked clean and sharp so I looked mostly at what the smaller groups were doing.

I watched the ruck group (Spencer, Gawn, King and Jamar) for some time with the big Spencil looking primed for Round 1. The drills were designed to work on technique, then later, backing up after the hitout. Spencer was reasonably dominant in this but one observation is that once hes out of the contest, thats it easy for his opponent to tap straight to his mid. Jamar was much better at impacting the hitout even when he knew he couldnt win the tap. A couple of times he was even able to sneak his big mit in there at last nanosecond and win the tap when seemingly out of the contest.

One thing I noticed about Gawn (last year) was he would continually bend right down to brace against or give himself leverage against stronger ruckmen. Unfortunately his usual height advantage would be completely nullified. This time around hes looking a lot stronger but Im not seeing him maximise his height advantage just yet, but too early to tell.

King is the best kick of the four and looks a bit of a prospect. He was completely out bodied and out muscled, then exhausted but he kept at it and even won a couple of hitouts.

I then watched Dawes and Hogan have a really good workout with Rawlings. They were doing a lot of work on leading patterns, repeat leading followed up with short passes into 50. One drill started in the forward pocket with both players starting together then sprinting in opposite directions to the fence. One would go to the goal fence the other the hff fence. Theyd touch the fence, sprint back on a lead, Rawings would kick to the one on the hff who would then short pass, at speed to the other. Then they might do a push-up after hitting the fence and sprint to lead. After repeating this endless times theyd sprint to present as a target to the main sessions full ground drill. Exhausting stuff. I couldnt split them for drive and intensity. For the whole time I was watching, Hogan missed one mark and a difficult worm-burner at that jeez he was down on himself for missing.

Fitzy was with them for a time, but a withdrew for some laps. On that note, Fitzy was used as a target for some of the full ground drills took some great diving marks from ordinary delivery and quickly dished off. Earned himself a bit of applause.

I had a quick look at the drill of about eight players where you keep handballing around and can only tackle your opponent. The drill is supposed to be about blocking but I didnt see much of it.

Looking at Watts, you can see the lift in intensity and the effort hes putting in, but sheesh, tackling is such as afterthought with him usually that fraction too late. Early days though.

The Scratch Match:

As to expected with the first hitout a very messy affair. The standouts for me were Tyson, Vince and Cross. Note, I was at one end of the ground and couldnt see a lot at the other. I was watching Watts very closely (his opponents were Vince and briefly Jordie). Watts got a free or two at the start to look dominant but that was probably about it. At one ball-up in front of us Vince got 15 metres away from Watts before he even realised Vince got the clearance.

In another passage of play Vince lost him again and there was 50 metres between them. I was watching him (Watts) run though the middle with no opponent (possibly shaking my head and questioning this midfield experiment) with Vince down in the forward line, around the footy. Watts looked to be heading to pick-up someone (anyone) when I heard Roos yell out Stay where you are Wattsy. The moral of that ditty is it was just a scratch match and Watts was a step ahead of the play as it turns out.

My first real look at Tyson suggests he was a bargain. Hes just a cut above the rest IMO and a huge acquisition. I love the thought of Tyson, Viney and N Jones at the centre bounces. Tyson has all the tricks with good disposal, great vision and outstanding hands that I hope translates to a lot of clearances down the track.

Cross was just a picture of composure. His body strength gave him time to dispose of the ball cleanly, even with someone hanging off him.

These guys (noticeably all in their first year at the club) stood out mainly because they played with purpose and knew what they had to do. The rest were just a blob of midfielders with the odd nice piece of play (one from N Jones, Barry and Evans off the top of my head). Again, its just a scratch match so very rusty but it will take them some time to gel with each other. There was a good defensive effort (as far as is possible when youre not really tackling), but they tended to revert to type when under pressure by getting pushed further and further back and making poor decisions. This may also be in part to the ground. It was 16 a side, but looked ridiculously crowded to me. Anyone know what the ground dimensions are?

Kent was pretty good too. I was surprised he even played as he didnt join in many of the other drills if any.

At one point N Jones gave Dunn the biggest gobful not sure what he did, but Jones not happy at all.

The rucks for the scratch match were Spence and King one sided as youd expect, but I do like the look of King kills Spencer in the co-ordination stakes.

Extra training:

Quite a number stayed behind to do some extra work. JKH and Cross did some goal kicking. JKH didnt miss too many but probably struggles over 40 metres. Goes at it 100% - every aspect of training! Love it. Pedersen joined it a bit later. Nicho was standing on the goal line kicking the ball to anyone who wanted a shot just a bit of extra kicking practice I assume.

Spencer was doing some extra work on marking contests with Stafford with Jamar looking on. Howe was lobbing a few in and Spencer pole-axed him (Staf) at one point got a few laughs.

Thats about it off the top of my head apart from the fact that I love the look of Michie too.

• Like 26

Thanks Roger Mellie..and agree with your statement on Gawn...with that height why crouch and I was frustrated last season watching it..

Is it to help him spring to greater heights ?

Thanks Roger Mellie..and agree with your statement on Gawn...with that height why crouch and I was frustrated last season watching it..

Is it to help him spring to greater heights ?

Lack of conditioning and lack of both upper and lower body strength. Stronger legs will give him more power through the hips to stay up right and strong arms will let him push off with just his arms instead of leaning in. Plus more fitness will let him feel stronger and not be sucking in for air. Either way I'm not too concerned. Ruck technique takes years to learn and comes with the body needed. As long as he shows a desire for the contests his height will make him hard to beat.

• Like 3

Very happy to ditch them

After reading your (actual) report I think we're richer for having both. You may lack tasman's youthful enthusiasm and humour, but your report ranked right up there in informativeness (is that a word?). Thanks mate.

• Like 2