Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Adam Goodes - Australian of the Year

Whispering_Jack

Good luck to adam goodes, i'm sure he will be a good role model

I've always thought the title "Australian of the Year" a tad pretentious and over-reaching, and the selection essentially political

A better name might be "Australia Day Ambassador" or something similar

• Like 5

You're better than this.

Dead set, this country disappoints me. It is so hopelessly anti intellectual. That people can't have a certain view on the appointment of an individual as Australian of the Year is simply pathetic. Then again, we laud Ned Kelly. The Yanks respect Thomas Jefferson. Says a lot really.

People have been labelled as racist on this thread. I can't see any clear evidence of obscene or racist views, but the label comes out, quite conveniently, because it is at odds with an opposing view.

Labels that are used to censor opposing opinions are generally the domain of the inarticulate. Calling someone uneducated over the keyboard is not particularly clever either.

You not read Jabber's post then?

He even made the comment that a certain colored skin should not always win the award.

IMO the award should always be awarded on someone's merit. People should not win or be excluded simple because of the colour of there skin.

Personally I believe the AOTY award should be dropped as it too subjective. But I do not have an issue with Adam Goodes winning it this year.

• Like 2

I'm not sure if you can say that more than half of the threads started here are purely football threads but historically, that's how this started out until it was changed into a politically charged thread, ironically by some who don't like to be confronted by racism and intolerance. However, if a 13 or 14 year old kid screams what are interpreted as racist taunts at a player, at what time does discussion about that become not football related? If there's discussion about the fact that an award was made to a footballer but others are more worthy recipients, how is that not a discussion about football?

Personally, I'm happy if people want to put their views out their on the issues or directly on the game itself. It happens that when I heard about Travis Johnstone's drafting in late October, 1997, it was in the early days of the Internet and I was in New York. A couple of days later, on my way home, I picked up a copy of The Australian Newspaper and I read about Goodes selection at #43 by the Swans. I remember thinking then that his was a bargain selection. His participation in the decade and a half since then has done much to enrich our game and moreover, he's made a great contribution to his people. I understand that nine years ago he made some controversial comments about what Australia Day meant to many of his people. That he accepted this award on this day with grace suggests he's more a unifying factor than others who give lip service to the concept profess to be.

They've only been around the place for five minutes but I won't be complaining if in 2031, Christian Salem, Jay Kennedy-Harris or Jayden Hunt are considered worthy of such an award.

• Like 2

You're better than this. Dead set, this country disappoints me. It is so hopelessly anti intellectual. That people can't have a certain view on the appointment of an individual as Australian of the Year is simply pathetic. Then again, we laud Ned Kelly. The Yanks respect Thomas Jefferson. Says a lot really. People have been labelled as racist on this thread. I can't see any clear evidence of obscene or racist views, but the label comes out, quite conveniently, because it is at odds with an opposing view. Labels that are used to censor opposing opinions are generally the domain of the inarticulate. Calling someone uneducated over the keyboard is not particularly clever either.

I never called him a racist, nor said his initial remark was racist.

I was being straight to the point, which is exactly what I said. Educate yourself. If he would educate himself on some of the surrounding issues it would mean he wouldn't feel the need to post such a snide and sarcastic post on a thread that was started for congratulating an AFL footballer on the meaningful work he is doing within the community. That's all it is. So [censored] simple. Yet there are nuff nuffs who for one reason or another have decided to derail a thread making snide and sarcastic remarks about a player who was recognised for his positive contribution to our society. So with education my friend, an awareness and an understanding of the work Adam Goodes is doing, these twits wouldn't feel the need to post such self-serving, bitter and attention seeking few sentences.

If they are indeed impartial to who it was out of the candidates who took home the chocolates, or they think the whole award itself isn't worth the fuss then why not post a well thought out opinion piece on the matter just as others have respectfully done? Arrow has for instance..

I'm not trying to be clever Ron. Far from it. But is absolutely 100% about educating yourself. We wouldn't be dealing with posts like that otherwise.

• Like 2

You not read Jabber's post then?

He even made the comment that a certain colored skin should not always win the award.

IMO the award should always be awarded on someone's merit. People should not win or be excluded simple because of the colour of there skin.

Personally I believe the AOTY award should be dropped as it too subjective. But I do not have an issue with Adam Goodes winning it this year.

Sigh

There is a difference between reading and comprehending.

Edited by jabberwocky
  • Like 1

Australian of the Year is an idiot award because it tries to pretend that there is any semblance of a unified idea of what a 'real true blue dinky di you beaut Aussie' is supposed to be.

It's an embarrassment that the award list is peppered with 'celebrities' who have reached that status because of achievement in pretty banal fields.

Pat Rafter, Steve Waugh, Lee Kernaghan, Mark Taylor.

Flannery was an obviously politically motivated error too - the man is a not-especially-effective and poorly disciplined science communicator who's self-promoting overreaching has set back the vitally important credibility of climate science in Australia. I say that as someone who was mortified that the climate commission was cut and a firm supporter of the task of the independent climate council.

Anyway, regarding Adam Goodes.

He never actually 'went after' the 13 year old - his entire message from minute 1 of any contact with media was 'it is so sad, she probably doesn't really know how hurtful it is or even why, it's just so sad to see that this young girl has being raised in an environment, at home or at school, where saying things like that is seen as appropriate and clever'.

Other than that, he's one of the top players in the AFL for the last decade, seen as the quintessential leadership figure at THE club in the AFL known for it's leadership culture, and an all-round nice bloke who gets involved in the community. so, good for him.

And for those implying that the award has been given on skin colour and politics, you've missed a chance to back up your great mate Cory Bernadi because 'obviously' this award has been given to Goodes as a part of a leftist conspiracy to make it look like children of single parents are regular human beings who aren't actually going to become criminals and vagrants.

• Like 8

They've only been around the place for five minutes but I won't be complaining if in 2031, Christian Salem, Jay Kennedy-Harris or Jayden Hunt are considered worthy of such an award.

Come to think of it, I'd be more comfortable if Adam Goodes received such an award in 2031 instead of now. I feel like any 'national award' should be given for either a truly extraordinary achievement (did the Australian team who led the smallpox vaccination campaign get one?) or a lifetime of persistent effort.

Which I think is something we are sure to get from Goodes.

So maybe the main problem with the award was that it was premature?

The results of a scientist or physician are going to be more tangible and easier to measure than the results of an indigenous role model and anti racism campaigner.

Edited by jabberwocky

The suggestion of an Australian Day Ambassador is to be commended. Far more apt and speaks to a better reach in terms of affect.

So few of these so called Aussies of the year deserve such kudos. It smacks of jingoism and national guilt/esteem come cringe ethos.

Those who continually seek to divide do this wonderful country an ill service.

There are I suggest a whole lot of people who need to GET OVER a whole lot of issues.

A lot of 'victims' running around for mine

• Like 2

The suggestion of an Australian Day Ambassador is to be commended. Far more apt and speaks to a better reach in terms of affect.

So few of these so called Aussies of the year deserve such kudos. It smacks of jingoism and national guilt/esteem come cringe ethos.

Those who continually seek to divide do this wonderful country an ill service.

There are I suggest a whole lot of people who need to GET OVER a whole lot of issues.

A lot of 'victims' running around for mine

yep, and then you have 'awards' like this applauding the victims and people like stuie calling you stupid if you don't go along with it. Fancy overlooking the bloke who has run a charity for sick kids for 15 years... that's what a victim is, not a millionaire footballer who has to 'suffer' the occasional stupid comment from the other side of the fence.

Fancy overlooking the bloke who has run a charity for sick kids for 15 years... that's what a victim is, not a millionaire footballer who has to 'suffer' the occasional stupid comment from the other side of the fence., Cathy Freeman and Pat rafter,

Unless you have similar objections to AOTY for Jock Sturrock, Dawn Fraser, Jack Brabham, Lionel Rose, Evonne Goolagong, Shane Gould, Robert de Castella, Kay Cottee, Mark Taylor, Steve Waugh, Cathy Freeman and Pat Rafter, I'd suggest you're just concern trolling. Because it's never about race.

• Like 1

Unless you have similar objections to AOTY for Jock Sturrock, Dawn Fraser, Jack Brabham, Lionel Rose, Evonne Goolagong, Shane Gould, Robert de Castella, Kay Cottee, Mark Taylor, Steve Waugh, Cathy Freeman and Pat Rafter, I'd suggest you're just concern trolling. Because it's never about race.

Off one step, straight through the big sticks.

Brain surgery and science requires a sharp intellect

But it's not Rocket Science.

This type of idiocy sums up this thread, and has really brought Demonland down a few pegs in my book.

We are all doing our bit.

• Like 1

Not doing enough Biff. Stuie is referring to neither you or I. Maybe Stuie's mellowing?

You can only stay at the top for so long .

I guess we are yesterdays anti-heros.

• Like 1

y'know it was a lot more fun when neeld was around, we had posters claiming I Believe In Neeld and other such rubbish, we had people asking for patience and backing a rebuild..such fun

y'know it was a lot more fun when neeld was around, we had posters claiming I Believe In Neeld and other such rubbish, we had people asking for patience and backing a rebuild..such fun

Oh yes ,back before Stuie learnt to upload gifs.

Those were the days.

Innocence ,a youthful list and a bus driver with no map.

• Like 1

what utter bullshlt

nice strawman argument... take a bow ...go on..then stick your head...

Just look how this country fawns over sportsmen and women... where are the Einsteins, the Pastueus , Noble even. ..

they got it right in 1990..a rarity in this event it seems

So many seem to accommodate what the tabloid public percieve as important in this world.

It ought to be reserved for ppl who make a difference above and way beyond what they choose to do. Many are handsomely rewarded anyway for what they achieve.its almost heir f'n job for christs sake. But there are those that look beyond, that , those that perform at levels not understood by the many of us they simply go the extra, but invariably not for themselves but the betterment of those around them or even large the country itself. And yet still some of them are overlooked in the name of "public" perceptions.

Dont even bother comparing a Goodes with a Dunlop...I mean...really

Bonner was a trailblazer...worthy

Peter Hill also...look at what he had to overcome

[censored] Smith has the idea...defy the norm

Cottee did something unique then...but it was for her..

Kiernan was outside the square

Clark , Stanley...they looked beyond

Goold yep

Slim Dusty...really...I mean really ffs some sort of pub elected thing this ?

Frazer ...good

Flannery...baaaaaadddd !!!

Rush...great actor,...but...Baymarrwangga easily eclipsed him...lets get real ppl

lets face it in all reality this thing called AOTY has become a political thing. its a joke...without humour

Im sick of al this PC crap

edit....censored..the guys name is D I C K ffs

Edited by beelzebub