• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Monday 27th January, 2014 (Australia Day Holiday)

Whispering_Jack

Coupla (hopefully different) notes to add to the heap of info already posted:

* Have a feeling maybe Fitzy is being managed through some diabetes troubles. Wasn't taped up at all, didn't run much, but was struggling a bit in between grappling/ruck work drills.

* Spencer was kicking really well today. Usually hit targets on the run.

* Dawes didn't do much once with the main group. Sat in the forward line purely to be a target.

* JKH just bounces around, and was one of the very few players able to get his hands above the tackler too.

* Nicholson just a terrible kick.

* Watching Vince, Tyson, Cross, Jones, and Toumpas out there I'm genuinely excited about our midfield.

* Watching the backline without Garland is like a whole different scenario ... bit worried.

* King is at least 2 years off playing AFL.

* Salem being very slowly eased into things.

* Byrnes is just a space filler.

Eerie feeling leaving training today happy with our midfield but concerned about each end of the ground ...

I am sure that they timed his operation to have him back 'cherry' for Round 1.

Gratifying to read your positive comments on the midfield; if you and other posters are right, we may give a few teams a surprise this year!

• Like 1

:lol: :lol:

is there any difference in affairs of the heart, footy is all about Passion; its rooted right into our spirituality, IMO. but at the physical plane, acted out.

imo psychology is the doorway between our physical conscious mind & our subconscious true selves. our real base self. IMO all the rubbish superiorities, & insecurities are all in the false conscious EGO.

EGO is driven by insecurities ;;; we play sport, barrack, & create conflict, to appease the desire to overlook our lacking inner . us against them.

The Tom Wills Biog. 'First Wild Man of Australian Sport" by Greg De Moore is also instructive in this area.

I was there and asked a few questions.

Viney, knocked himself out last Monday during his first training back from his hip problem; failed a couple of the concussion tests so was put on light work. He feels better now, asked him could he take it down a notch at training, laughed and said he couldn't do it!!

Fitzpatrick ... came up with a new one, quote "there is nothing major I am on a tapered preparation".

Riley is four weeks away from full training; everything is fine with his leg, just looking forward to playing again.

Hogan is getting a bit [censored] off with being restricted at the moment. I told him we wanted to watch him for 10 years, not lose him to a degenerative knee, thankfully instead of hitting me, he agreed.

Terlich - asked him and said it was nothing, had his knee taped he left early, seemed to have some relatives watching, demonstrated to them he had twisted leg, i.e when it sticks in turf and twists, love the fact he was pulled out of training when it happened.

McKenzie/Cross/Spencer, got a jumper signed by Jordie at the end, they spent an extra 10 minutes at the end, think it was for Spencer's benefit, Cross tapping and Mc Kenzie kicking and vice versa with Spencer leading out of the square to mark in front of his face, nice to see ... Cross is so intense, even when you chat to him, Spencer really wants that no 1 ruck, and Jordie was Jordie, relishing the hard work, think too many on here have him out of the team too early.

• Like 21

:lol: :lol:

is there any difference in affairs of the heart, footy is all about Passion; its rooted right into our spirituality, IMO. but at the physical plane, acted out.

imo psychology is the doorway between our physical conscious mind & our subconscious true selves. our real base self. IMO all the rubbish superiorities, & insecurities are all in the false conscious EGO.

EGO is driven by insecurities ;;; we play sport, barrack, & create conflict, to appease the desire to overlook our lacking inner . us against them.

Also, Nicole Hayes', "The Whole of my World".

Others have given a pretty good rundown of the session so just a few observations.

I like the interaction with the players and coaches, noticed Roos & Stone in discussion with Trengove and Jones then Jones at another time, I'm guessing about the mid set ups as that was what they were previously working on. The communication appears to be good so I think players will be in no doubt about what they are required to do.

We now have more than a couple of players who can kick the ball well, hopefully this translates to match day but bringing in Tyson, Michie & Vince with the recruiting of Salem added to Watts, Strauss, Barry and Toumpas the forwards will get some ball to advantage.

We need to thank the Doggies for giving us Cross, the guy is a natural on ground leader and sets a great example at training. Adding him with Vince to our midfield along with Tyson and Michie as young guns and hopefully the emergence of Watts and Trengove the opposition should have more than Jones to worry about this year.

Terlich seemed to pick up a minor injury in one of the drills where he was tackled pretty hard. Did a few light run throughs then went in.

Over all I know some have asked about the game plan. If trainings anything to go by then it's nothing startling. Win the hard contested ball and spread, switch & share the ball and run hard both ways. No evidence of the down the line Malthouse/Neeld approach.

thank god we now have some coaches who learnt the trade in the old days of ruggedness, & physical play, in the Halcyon days of the Hawks, & Roys, then Swans.

real footy rather than malthouses athletes america.

He's a big unit 'master' and he doesn't mind throwing his weight around.

I've been patiently waiting for Spence the snake to slither onto the scene in a aggressive way.

As mentioned the highlight is probably how much physical stuff they are doing.

At least in the years I've been to trainings I have rarely seen much physical stuff at all and if it is done its usually tackling bags or pads.

Almost every session they do a couple of drills that involve picking up a ball along the ground as another player lays a tackle then get the handball out. They then go in to grappling on the ground and today they added a bit of fun for the players. In pairs they'd link hands then have a strength test trying to whack each other in the head. It looked silly but it wasn't done in a silly way. It was just a bit of fun but competitive and interesting. Obviously the new recruits will help (Aidan Riley a big smokey as well if he gets fit and can show his stuff) but Roos seems intent on making sure our guys aren't bullied at the contest.

The 3 main rucks were all back on track for some part doing some hit outs and were used as forward targets for a drill. With his long legs, added size and speedy bounds I'm telling you right now Jake Spencer is going to monster a marking contest at some point this year. He's got a heap of work to go in all areas of his game so I'm not predicting anything from him in terms of what improvement he's made overall but at some stage he'll either clunk a mark or break a pack in half and everyone will be surprised.

implementing aggression into a 'nice culture'. :lol:

hi All

for those that are on Facebook I loaded a few pictures here

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.253074601536873&type=1

we arrived about 10.15 and my wife took these , much better than if I took them !

hope this is ok to link them ( if not please delete or advise me how )

thanks

mark

Edited by markc
  • Like 3

* Watching Vince, Tyson, Cross, Jones, and Toumpas out there I'm genuinely excited about our midfield.

* Watching the backline without Garland is like a whole different scenario ... bit worried.

Eerie feeling leaving training today happy with our midfield but concerned about each end of the ground ...

Mainly agree, except I have some level of confidence with the backline due to Frawley and McDonald both looking good. Tommy Mc in particular is kicking pretty well and not showing any issues with shoulder surgery (except he could do with a bit more weight in time). Grimes as well looking good and Strauss, Clisby and Terlich in particular are all out there competing. They should all be better than last year and are fighting for one or 2 spots. Garland is a big miss but Dunn is the interesting one. If he can stand up and finally deliver on good training that he's shown for a couple of years then we could be ok. I've got no confidence in him really but he's fit, he trains hard and fast and he kicks the ball really well at training. If all goes completely pear shaped with our backline then Jayden Hunt is a prospect long term. For a guy who didn't play TAC at least he looks comfortable out there.

Forward line is even more up in the air but I'm pretty confident on Dawes and Hogan right now. And Kent is back doing stuff. Plus JKH as everyone notes is impressive. Howe's doing well and Tapscott and Blease are out there. Same with Byrnes. So again it's not perfect but at least the numbers are there for some competition between the smalls.

The 3 main problems we've hard in the Neeld years are:

1. Unable to get our hands on the footy

2. Unable to move the ball with skill which is often related to

3. Complete lack of run both in terms of movement at a contest, spread and follow up

Judging on today's training there will probably still be days when we struggle to move the ball as the overall skill level of the group isn't outstanding. Which is true of most teams but it makes sense if it's against Freo or Sydney compare to against the Gold Coast like it was for us last year. But there will be run and there will be guys going after the ball at the stoppages and around the ground.

• Like 3

Mainly agree, except I have some level of confidence with the backline... etc

Yeah it's mainly the depth of quality tall backs I worry about now I guess. With no Garland and very little Tommy Mc today it was a bit of a wake up call for me.

• Like 1

Just back from training, got there at 10am left at 11:45am.

I am not going to give a full report on drills etc ... because they have all been reported on at length in previous training posts. Instead just a few reflections/opinions on how I saw some things today.

Based on the four pre-season sessions I have seen so far for season 2014:

Frawley, Dunn and Strauss are lock-ins for backline positions. They were sharp, precise and focused today and super impressive.

The wide running receiver position(s) are open - wide open. Blease, Evans, Barry, Bail, Vince and probably others are all training well.

Small forward. JKH is impressive. At full pace he picks up wobbling half-volleys and turns on a five cent piece. Was evading some of the best tacklers in the team. Will be considered for round 1.

Tackling:

Cross is amazing in the tackling drill.

When approaching to be tackled he doesn't brace his body, he just plows in all open and sort of splats into the opponent. Very effective method.

Watts was tackling very well but still seems very soft when being tackled.

The kicking today, considering the wind, was really sharp. The occasional kick was missed by most players but the delivery to a moving target seemed clean cut.

There was a lot of ball on ground, close in work today with a huge group of players around the ball. Considering this is how the modern game is played, good to see the emphasis at training.

• Like 14

Yeah it's mainly the depth of quality tall backs I worry about now I guess. With no Garland and very little Tommy Mc today it was a bit of a wake up call for me.

With you there 'stuie', it really looks light on without Garland.

Thanks for all your reports folks. I envy you guys being able to watch the boys train while I'm stuck up here on the Gold Coast where things are so dull, colourless and boring.

Especially enjoy Satyricon's in depth and up close reports - they're gold.

regretting you are not so up close and in deep with the lingerie ladies WJ?

Looked for you there old buddy but you must have been in your "going out" collar...

Didn't you see the Spandex Stu?

BTW. I agree with your comment on Spencer's kicking. He was definitely getting the ball very close to his foot before releasing it. The problem is , it is a slow process for a bloke his size. I expect he will still be looking to handball as much as possible.

• Like 1

Others have given a pretty good rundown of the session so just a few observations.

I like the interaction with the players and coaches, noticed Roos & Stone in discussion with Trengove and Jones then Jones at another time, I'm guessing about the mid set ups as that was what they were previously working on. The communication appears to be good so I think players will be in no doubt about what they are required to do.

We now have more than a couple of players who can kick the ball well, hopefully this translates to match day but bringing in Tyson, Michie & Vince with the recruiting of Salem added to Watts, Strauss, Barry and Toumpas the forwards will get some ball to advantage.

We need to thank the Doggies for giving us Cross, the guy is a natural on ground leader and sets a great example at training. Adding him with Vince to our midfield along with Tyson and Michie as young guns and hopefully the emergence of Watts and Trengove the opposition should have more than Jones to worry about this year.

Terlich seemed to pick up a minor injury in one of the drills where he was tackled pretty hard. Did a few light run throughs then went in.

Over all I know some have asked about the game plan. If trainings anything to go by then it's nothing startling. Win the hard contested ball and spread, switch & share the ball and run hard both ways. No evidence of the down the line Malthouse/Neeld approach.

Thank God

• Like 1

I'm not worried about the lack of Garland for a short time as long as we have Frawley and Tommy in there. Dunn can go third tall if he has to and is a very good one-on-one competitor. Grimes is also pretty hard to beat, so that takes care of most teams' marking options. Terlich and Strauss go in as small rebounders and it looks fine. Rotate a few other mids through, add in Clisby if necessary. They'll be fine.

• Like 3

Some observations from this morning to add to the fairly comprehensive run down that have already been posted.

- I got there at 9:20 and the boys were out on the ground doing their warm ups. I left at 11:45 and there were still some players out on the ground, with the bulk of the group having just finished. The reason I mention this is that for well over 2 hours they really went at it and were still going strong at the end in hot (27degrees) and windy conditions, Simply put these boys are really fit (I assume all clubs would be at a similar level but it was impressive nonetheless).

- the main session finished with some repeat effort gut running/strength work. This consisted of a set of about 15 push ups in the centre of the ground ,, followed by a sprint to the goal posts and back (JKH smashed them all there and back)' this was followed by a set of 15 or so sit ups, then another run this time to about 35m out from goal and back, (this time JKH paid for his earlier exertion and was well back in the pack., next was a sustained bridge (isometric ab exercise) then more run throughs, one more strength exercise and a final run through. Most interesting thing for me out of all of this was in the last run through back to middle of the ground Ie after 3-4 power/strength efforts with intensity running in between. Jack Watts was one of the first to finish, and ahead of T-Mac.

- Watts' skills stood out in very windy conditions today, in a run and carry exericise 2hrs into the session, he lasered a ball 45m diagonally, and weighted it perfectly just over the fingers of Grimesy to hit the leading target in the chest. Extremely impressive given the volume of running already completed. I would just love him to assert himself a bit more, an example of this was in a transition drill moving the ball from backline to full forward, with a blue team and a green team. Jack (Blue) had put 5m on Grimesy (Green) leading out to the wing, and Nicho had the ball on half back flank looking for a target. Despite being clear of his opponent he didn't call for the ball, and Nicho ended up kicking it 10m past him to Pickles (For those wondering Nicho hit pickles with the pass. )I was thinking at the time if this was a game situation where a player had the option of pickles or watts both free, the ball simply has to go to Watts, and he has to really really want the ball in those situations and vocally demand it, so that he can hurt teams with his foot skills.

- Dawes looks in very good physical condition. Compared to training sessions this time last year he is fmustve dropped at least 3-4 kilos as he looks far more chiseled. His Muscle definition is very impressive. He took his shirt off at one point while doing work with the rehab group and I instantly felt imasculated.

And lastly from me it's been mentioned that one of the fun things they incorporated into training today was an exercise where players paired up standing opposite each other. Then each player with their right hand grabbed opposite players left wrist. The challenge was to slap the other player in the face with your left hand (which the other player tried to stop as they were holding your wrist with their right hand), whilst at the same time stopping your opponent from slapping you in the face with his left hand.... Sorry if that's confusing but it's hard to explain, essentially it required strength, peripheral vision and good boxing skills.... Anyway notable pairs first time they did this Nath Jones vs Trenners who surprisingly held his own (I expected Jonesy to eat him up). Grimes vs Watts (stalemate).

The next time they did this towards the end if the session Jonesy was opposed to Jayden Hunt, and predictably dominated him, giving him 4 really good slaps in the face!! Hilarious!! By this time of the session there were only about 6 of us left on the punt rd side of the ground who saw it but suffice to say it provided us with great amusement.

• Like 17

Hi everyone,

1st post on DL and 1st pre-season training visit for me today.

After watching the last 2 pre-seasons under Neeld, today's visit was a refreshing experience needless to say. They look fit. There is now a definite focus on gut (two-way) running the full length of the ground to support and give options and saw some really solid examples of it from Trenners, Michie, Cross, Vince, M Jones and N. Jones.

There are some clear differences that I see already in the way we move the ball under Roos that I'd like to point out (from my perspective).

It appears as if the transition from defence, going forward, is no longer slow, wide and within 5 metres of the boundary line (TFFT).

In the game-sim drills I saw, it's evident that Roos wants the ball moved as close to, or through the middle as possible. If held up at half back, the switch across half-back takes place and it transitions along the opposite wing and the instinct is look to hit back into the middle of 50m arc at CHF or the edge of the square. Makes sense really being we have some good hit up forwards in (hopefully) Hogan, Dawes, Howe and Clark , no point going to the boundary.

If you can imagine the game play taking place on oval within an oval (say 15-20 mtrs in from the outer boundary), that's the radius that ball movement takes place within. It is a couple of quick short, sure ball movements and then long to the spread (and this year when there is spread, there is more than one option). I'm sure the Roos mantra is, 'Don't Give It Away Cheaply, Hit A Target'.

I've been reading anxiously for some weeks now (stuck at work) of all the posters giving their feedback on training and how this guy and that guy is up and about ... but I had trouble seeing that to be honest. Not in a bad way, let me explain.

Last year, I saw N.Jones dominate everything, Grimes trying hard and most others..... well let's just say a big gap between those two and the rest.

Today , N. Jones was no less of a shinning light. He was as manic as we have come to expect. But also at that level were Cross, Michie, M. Jones, McKenzie, Vince, Toumpas, Evans and Watts - they were all pushing hard.

I think what Roos & Co is assembling is a workhorse midfield.

I was quietly impressed today with:

Michie: He appears to be the quiet, under the radar type. He is a ball magnet - always near it and I'm sure will develop just nicely under Roos and Stone's tutelage.

Strauss: He was vocal, pushed hard on all drills and his kicking is super smooth.

JKH: I've read a lot about him. Not much more to say - it's all true! He is super exciting and will get his opportunity when the time is right. But he is doing his chances no harm by his training intensity. There's a little 'Jeff Farmer' in his evasiveness.

Salem: People have said how slim he is and he may need more time to develop, and rightly so. But, he was 5 metres away from me standing with Toumpas - they are almost identical in size and physique. He may get his chance at some point this year if his form warrants. I do think his tank will limit his opportunities however. His kicking ... well ... hits the target in a very 'Adem Yze' kind of way.

Frawley & Dunn - Very vocal and leading the way.

After the rehab group finished Jamar, Gawn and Dawes were all used as prop forwards in some full-length drills. All moving freely.

I don't feel as concerned as others here about their return to the main group. Maybe being an ex-senior coach I understand individual workloads and working to a plan. I would say at this point Spencer is the clear front runner for Rd-1. But no doubt Roos sees Jamar as the No 1 and being he is an older player, he is preparing him for an early season return (if he warrants it on form).

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dawes be back in full training, if not end of this week, definitely next. Hogan probably 1-2 weeks until full training, he is purely precautionary. Clark will be the same precautionary measure but I would say probably 2-3 weeks before a main group return. I'm basing this on their movement and how I would manage them in the same position, remembering there is a whole season ahead of us. We don't need to peak at Rd-1.

All in all, I'm quietly impressed without being as excited as others on here.

I would think the midfield additions will definitely be more sound and provide more link up and opportunity.

What we do need is for some players to take a step towards or to the next level. (Watts, Strauss, Blease, Tapscott, Evans, McKenzie, Terlich). Based on what I saw, they're all training with more intent and enjoyment.

Carn the DEES

• Like 29

Salem: People have said how slim he is and he may need more time to develop, and rightly so. But, he was 5 metres away from me standing with Toumpas - they are almost identical in size and physique. He may get his chance at some point this year if his form warrants. I do think his tank will limit his opportunities however. His kicking ... well ... hits the target in a very 'Adem Yze' kind of way.

When he was up close I was surprised at how strong he was through the legs. His body won't stop him from game time this year but as you say the tank may. They seem to be managing his workloads (as they are with all) so as not to push him too hard from the sessions I've seen.

And lastly from me it's been mentioned that one of the fun things they incorporated into training today was an exercise where players paired up standing opposite each other. Then each player with their right hand grabbed opposite players left wrist. The challenge was to slap the other player in the face with your left hand (which the other player tried to stop as they were holding your wrist with their right hand), whilst at the same time stopping your opponent from slapping you in the face with his left hand.... Sorry if that's confusing but it's hard to explain, essentially it required strength, peripheral vision and good boxing skills.... Anyway notable pairs first time they did this Nath Jones vs Trenners who surprisingly held his own (I expected Jonesy to eat him up). Grimes vs Watts (stalemate).

The next time they did this towards the end if the session Jonesy was opposed to Jayden Hunt, and predictably dominated him, giving him 4 really good slaps in the face!! Hilarious!! By this time of the session there were only about 6 of us left on the punt rd side of the ground who saw it but suffice to say it provided us with great amusement.

Brilliant :) Loved the image of Jonesy slapping down the newcomer.