Who's looking at past history? I am just commenting on Friday night.

As I said he did lead away from the goal square to free up space, so he did that well, and it was great coaching to create that space.

But really, how hard is it to lead away from an area? It's not sufficient for an AFL forward - they need to be able to positively influence contests when the ball comes their way. Very rarely did I see Pederson do that on Friday night.

With that statement I don't think you have played much footy, it is bloody hard to continually run away from the ball, knowing that they are not looking for you, you want the ball, the discipline and team oriented play that Pedersen showed impressed me and obviously Roos as well

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 1

If you say it 100 times it doesn't make it true Stuie. The concept that he wasn't working hard after half time is bogus. I see Riewoldt blowing hard after half time it's cos he works ****ing hard. We play a chip around style of football in the back half which means there's plenty of time to flood back for the opposition. When a spare man isn't available to chip too forward there needs to be a release target who will provide a target down the line.

In case you didn't notice, we switch the ball alot now, which means Cam was working side to side being the option for the long ball down the line. His job. He didn't duke any contested marks, but realistically that won't be his role this year. That's Dawes and Clark's role in our team.

WWithout Pederson playing how he did, and expecting King to do that role, we would be lost that NAB Cup game.

FWIW, in the 2005 premiership Jason Ball played that exact role for the Swans in the win. He had 4 touches..

• Like 2

Geees.....All this after a win in the NAB practise game.....God help the players when we lose one.......

All the footy club "experts" on this site will go into melt down

The football dept know what they want for all the players....us mug punter don't have a clue though some will disagree with me.....

• Like 5

Totally agree with the bold part. I'm not saying he's terrible, I'm just saying if he was fitter he could actually be more useful than just being a fat decoy.

Also, he's played more than one game for us...

I'm old enough to remember when Melbourne invented the decoy full forward role.

And I'm not calling Big Bob fat but I reckon he kicked a heap of goals at all levels

But with Pedersen when the opposition stop being "decoyed" it is time for the coach and team to use him

Is he good enough? I don't know he may be against some opponents, but I reckon the coach will find out and use him

Didnt Roos and Lynch alternate decoy position with Whelan?

That is a tough one Reverend, how do we know what their job is every week?

Also the idea only works if the opposition continues to fall for it.

Before long the good sides twig to the idea and then leave the person free as they know he is a decoy.

The Decoy then needs to be used.

In Pedersen's case is he up to it?

The question is not for us to answer. We need to have faith in Mr Roos to do his job. I guess what I'm saying is, that as a supporter, I am happy to support the players who take the field each week and to not criticise what I don't understand.

That's not to say I won't criticise acts of cowardice or perceived lack of effort.

I think we spend too much time on here speculating about players such as Pederson. He's clearly having a go and playing to instruction to the best of his ability. That's good enough for me. I'm just tired of the knockers who choose to berate players without understanding what they've been instructed to do. Let's stick to talking about what we know rather than what we are guessing at.

Edited by Crawf52

The question is not for us to answer. We need to have faith in Mr Roos to do his job. I guess what I'm saying is, that as a supporter, I am happy to support the players who take the field each week and to not criticise what I don't understand.

That's not to say I won't criticise acts of cowardice or perceived lack of effort.

I think we spend too much time on here speculating about players such as Pederson. He's clearly having a go and playing to instruction to the best of his ability. That's good enough for me. I'm just tired of the knockers who choose to berate players without understanding what they've been instructed to do. Let's stick to talking about what we know rather than what we are guessing at.

Well there goes Demonland Reverend.

might as well shut it down now.

• Like 3

That's why I spoke to Cam at the Family Day, to get an insight in to what role he had been asked to play, and to confirm we are good hands coaching wise, it was a good plan, and he confirmed what I thought, he was to lead away and create space

Geees.....All this after a win in the NAB practise game.....God help the players when we lose one.......

All the footy club "experts" on this site will go into melt down

The football dept know what they want for all the players....us mug punter don't have a clue though some will disagree with me.....

I do agree with all of this but in fairness, it just shows how much we miss watching it, miss debating it and miss over-analysing the crap out of it.

If you say it 100 times it doesn't make it true Stuie. The concept that he wasn't working hard after half time is bogus.

Never said he didn't work hard, said he isn't fit enough and struggled to get to contests in the second half.

Maybe I need to say it 101 times so you get the actual point?

That's why I spoke to Cam at the Family Day, to get an insight in to what role he had been asked to play, and to confirm we are good hands coaching wise, it was a good plan, and he confirmed what I thought, he was to lead away and create space

Hahahahaha... and what would you have done if it wasn't "confirmed we were in good hands coaching wise".... Gee wiz talk about self-importance

With that statement I don't think you have played much footy, it is bloody hard to continually run away from the ball, knowing that they are not looking for you, you want the ball, the discipline and team oriented play that Pedersen showed impressed me and obviously Roos as well

Yeah, you're right, it's a much harder skill than winning a contested possession, taking a contested mark, kicking to a teammate under pressure, winning a ruck contest, handballing to a player in space, kicking a goal under pressure, spoiling an opposition, reading the ball off a pack, picking up the ball cleanly off the deck, tackling a player, etc.

I am so surprised that, given how complex it is to run away from the ball, junior footballers are taught the easy things like marking, kicking, handballing, tackling, spoiling, but are not taught how to run away from the footy.

There were a few players in my junior teams and at school footy that ran away from the ball. I'm really surprised they didn't make it to AFL level given how well they had mastered this complex skill.

• Like 2

I think if Pedo turns out the be a player, it would be a bonus.

Most have wrote him off - myself included - but he is gaining some traction now, had a good game on the weekend.

Was a very gutsy act running back with the flight. If Pedo continues those acts, he'll turn many into fans.

Demonlanders have perfected the art of turning a silk purse into a sow's ear and turning up those rare clouds that have the tin lining. Nathan Jones, Chip Frawley, Mark Jamar (although he has seemingly regressed somewhat of late), have all been ridiculed early in their careers at the MFC, yet over time proved themselves to be made of the right stuff... there is no reason why Pedersen could not do the same. I certainly thought that apart from a couple of skill errors (which he was not alone in), he had a very serviceable game; as was evidenced by Roos' post game comments.

Edited by hardtack

Demonlanders have perfected the art of turning a silk purse into a sow's ear and turning up those rare clouds that have the tin lining. Nathan Jones, Chip Frawley, Mark Jamar (although he has seemingly regressed somewhat of late), have all been ridiculed early in their careers at the MFC, yet over time proved themselves to be made of the right stuff... there is no reason why Pedersen could not do the same. I certainly thought that apart from a couple of skill errors (which he was not alone in), he had a very serviceable game; as was evidenced by Roos' post game comments.

Jones, Chip, and Jamar all were (wrongly) ridiculed in their early years.

Pedo is about to turn 27.

For me he is nothing but a backup to someone like Dawes/Hogan or perhaps a a tall defender if they go down.

If we had an injury free forwardline to choose from, he wouldn't be getting a gig. Nothing against him, but we certainly have players who can contribute a lot more and don't make as many errors on game day.

We need to squeeze him out of the best 22 eventually.

Nothing wrong with him trying his guys out to earn a cemented spot, will only help our performances while the quality talls are down.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 3

Jones, Chip, and Jamar all were (wrongly) ridiculed in their early years.

Pedo is about to turn 27.

And just exactly how many AFL games has he played? 26.

He was taken as a mature age rookie in 2011, and so has only been in the system for 3 years (how many seasons did it take Jones, Chip and Jamar to hit their straps?). In his first season at the Kangaroos: "...Pedersen had an excellent debut season, winning the Kangaroos’ best first-year player and kicking 18 goals in 14 games.", so there is obviously something there to work with.

The thing that really annoys me is the fact that posters on here (and I don't know if you have done this, so it's not aimed at you Stuie), are the "nasty" comments about his weight; totally uncalled for and completely baseless.

Edited by hardtack

For me he is nothing but a backup to someone like Dawes/Hogan or perhaps a a tall defender if they go down.

If we had an injury free forwardline to choose from, he wouldn't be getting a gig. Nothing against him, but we certainly have players who can contribute a lot more and don't make as many errors on game day.

We need to squeeze him out of the best 22 eventually.

Nothing wrong with him trying his guys out to earn a cemented spot, will only help our performances while the quality talls are down.

You make sense. Strange thing here sometimes. Not forgetting that the best 22 are not always the best selection when it comes to playing some opposition teams. Sometimes you need to draw on quite specific skills and characteristics to achieve a win. This is where depth and competition for spots is crucial.

• Like 2

Players like Pederson and Dunn will be very handy for us throughout the season.

Utilities, swingmen...both mature and strong,they gives us a bit of depth in the medium talls department.

• Like 1

Utilities, swingmen...both mature and strong,they gives us a bit of depth in the medium talls department.

I dislike Lynden Dunn with a passion. But even I don't lump him in with Pedersen.

Stop making sense, you will get some of them on here confused

Hahahahaha... and what would you have done if it wasn't "confirmed we were in good hands coaching wise".... Gee wiz talk about self-importance

It takes a lot as I am fairly tolerant, but you have finally made my ignore list, you really are a tool

Yeah, you're right, it's a much harder skill than winning a contested possession, taking a contested mark, kicking to a teammate under pressure, winning a ruck contest, handballing to a player in space, kicking a goal under pressure, spoiling an opposition, reading the ball off a pack, picking up the ball cleanly off the deck, tackling a player, etc.

I am so surprised that, given how complex it is to run away from the ball, junior footballers are taught the easy things like marking, kicking, handballing, tackling, spoiling, but are not taught how to run away from the footy.

There were a few players in my junior teams and at school footy that ran away from the ball. I'm really surprised they didn't make it to AFL level given how well they had mastered this complex skill.

Miscomprehension of posts to score personal points...I'll give you that one.....nothing valid to add/detract from the Pedersen debate...didn't think so

That tells me that you deliberately chose to ignore the rest of my post.

For the record Hardy, I don't think Pedo is terrible or has no potential, I just think he could actually offer something more than a decoy if he could get his endurance up. He'll only ever be depth, as I don't really see him getting a lot better post-27, but he could give us more.