Leadership group and captaincy 2014

old55

Jack Viney to make leadership group surely.

You're normally better than this. Like most you blew it with Grimes and Trengove and now you want to wack Viney into the leadership group.

Let the kid(s) develop.

I have my reservations about Jones as well. Dawes is never on the park and Jonny come lately. Why not make Chip captain and put some pressure on him to stay.

Grimes and Garland the others in the mix and from the outside who appeal.

• Like 1

You're normally better than this. Like most you blew it with Grimes and Trengove and now you want to wack Viney into the leadership group.

Let the kid(s) develop.

I have my reservations about Jones as well. Dawes is never on the park and Jonny come lately. Why not make Chip captain and put some pressure on him to stay.

I am finding it difficult to disagree with most of that BB

I can see why JT & JG were elected by the group as having outstanding leadership qualities and JT has shown he is all class with his withdrawal from the captaincy this week. There is however more to captaincy than just having leadership qualities though and at Sydney, Geelong and Hawthorn the captain has also set the standard for the culture. Dealing with team mates who don't adhere to the not negotiables and team rules, who lapse off field or play selfish footy on the field, needs leaders who are at the top of the pecking order and get buy in from those below them in the pecking order. JT will still lead on the track and he is an out standing young man but needs to become the best footballer he can without that burden. Roos has stated " The players will determine where the club goes this season" so to my mind Grimes, Jones and Garland will be the ones to lead this irrespective of whether one or all of them are captain. The likes of Dawes, Cross an even Byrnes will provide the benchmarks that were set at other clubs to develop and create our own Demon culture as their form of leadership but I wouldn't give them a title.

I don't understand why some people want Dawes as captain or vice captain. Those that are in favour of this, could you please explain?

From what I've seen, he's rarely able to get on the field, and when he does he doesn't impact the game very much. Sure, he's intelligent and well-spoken, but a captain needs to be more than that, in my opinion.

Maybe a bit like Harry Hoppman - non playing captain of Australia's Davis Cup team for many years ? decades. :-)?

I'd like to see the player who kicks the the most farkin goals in the preseason captain !

I'd like to see the player who kicks the the most farkin goals in the preseason captain !

What time did you start drinking today?

• Like 1

What time did you start drinking today?

Like Leadership Teams I'm in seriouse training

Let the kid(s) develop.

Viney is cut from a completely different cloth to Grimes and especially Trengove.

Jack Viney gives the younger brigade a voice within the leadership group and a more approachable guy for the younger brigade.

What do we know about Viney? He is a dead set leader, bleeds red and blue, isn't afraid to speak up, plays football like it should be played - follow Jack.

Viney is a dead set lock for leadership.

Let the kid(s) develop.

No way, have you heard him interviewed, pretty poor speaker, inarticulate, can play footy though, maybe leadership group but not captain material.

He is also 19/20.

Let him play. We have alternatives.

I can't believe I am saying this but we have some good, solid leaders.

They can't get through yoga without getting injured, but they are good solid leaders and we added a couple more in the off-season.

• Like 2

Noted that David Misson indicated that Grimes is back from leave early and training already and was on the training track first day with with the younger players. I believe this is a statement by Grimes that he is the captain of the MFC and wants to retain the captaincy. A fine young man who has taken the the first opportunity set the standard. A good start to pre season for me.

• Like 5

Noted that David Misson indicated that Grimes is back from leave early and training already and was on the training track first day with with the younger players. I believe this is a statement by Grimes that he is the captain of the MFC and wants to retain the captaincy. A fine young man who has taken the the first opportunity set the standard. A good start to pre season for me.

A sensible first post, you have a lot to learn about 'land.

The Mission interview is very interesting. Grimes wants it is prepared to do the hard yards to keep it and it doesn't seem to weigh his shoulders down. For mine he is a good choice for Captain and it give us some stability. Jones for Vice or co captain.

Captain - Grimes (HB)

VC - Jones (M), Garland (B), Dawes (F)

LG - Trengove (M), Clark (F/M), McKenzie (M), Frawley (B), Cross/Vince/Byrnes (M/HF)

Would probably pick Vince over Cross and Byrnes given his age/role, while allowing Cross and Byrnes to mentor/on-field coach our young mids/HF's, e.g. Viney, Toumpas, Tyson, Michie, Kent etc.