Training - Wednesday 6th November, 2013

Whispering_Jack

No doubt that those with headstarts and those that have kept their fitness are important.

My point was more that some players have surgeries in the off-season, some cannot work, this is when the hard work begins for a great number of the players, and I notice that there was a large 'injured' group today.

They will have time to get their 'fitness points'...

Neither Clisby or M Jones were ever listed to have surgeries as far as i know, nor were they discussed as having injuries. You may know more than me. I also heard some interplay which was a concern about attitude, but i don't want to expand on here this early in the season

I might be being unfair but i suspect not.

If Clark is running now why would he need more than 4 months to get fully match fit?

The nature of his injury. It seems chronic. I was surprised he was out there at all frankly. All power to him, i do not mean to malign him in any way. I think from the little we have seen of him he is an admirable character and a great footballer if we can get him on the park. Also best to take the time needed to get it right.

I was surprised i guess at how little progress he had made since the time i observed him light training at the end of last year.

Boys and girls, we will have to tie Clark up in the stands to stop him playing Round 1, which bit don't people get, he ran, kicked, marked, jumpred etc etc for close on 2 hours today without a problem. The reason he was supposedly running last in the 300 was he was running with Maia Westrupp encouraging him

As for Trengove, he had no problems in the group he was running with, suffice to say Grimes made a point of finishing first each time, he was also the most tired at the end, Trengove, Howe and Nicholson recovered better

As for Pederson, never understood the issue with his body shape, if he was overweight he would be not playing AFL, again watched him take the GPS unit off which means removing shirt, has no excess baggage, he is just big bodied

• Like 4

The nature of his injury. It seems chronic. I was surprised he was out there at all frankly. All power to him, i do not mean to malign him in any way. I think from the little we have seen of him he is an admirable character and a great footballer if we can get him on the park. Also best to take the time needed to get it right.

I was surprised i guess at how little progress he had made since the time i observed him light training at the end of last year.

Clark...the tall guy with the tatts right?.....I have a photo of him in the air grabbing a mark in the kick to kick...

Neither Clisby or M Jones were ever listed to have surgeries as far as i know, nor were they discussed as having injuries. You may know more than me. I also heard some interplay which was a concern about attitude, but i don't want to expand on here this early in the season

If it turns out that Clisby and Jones don't do the required work, it's no biggie, they just won't play. But I'd be staggered if two guys in their mid 20s who have been given the opportunity of a lifetime would be so stupid as to just throw it away by slacking off. I'm going to give them the benefit of the considerable amount of doubt.
  • Like 2

If it turns out that Clisby and Jones don't do the required work, it's no biggie, they just won't play. But I'd be staggered if two guys in their mid 20s who have been given the opportunity of a lifetime would be so stupid as to just throw it away by slacking off. I'm going to give them the benefit of the considerable amount of doubt.

I would be staggered too. If i hadn't have seen it with my own eyes i would not have believed it.

For us to progress we need to be elite - in every way. This time of year is very revealing in a lot of ways. That is all i am saying.

I trust Roos to get this all right. He has the full knowledge. Everything else is simply observation.

Jones played every game of a AFL season.

He would have had a few niggles to say the least.

I think you are making some laughable judgements on players, which is your right to do.

• Like 1

They were in a group with McDonald who is probably one of the top runners at the Club, and Toumpas who was known for his running at junior level, both M Jones and Clisby gutsed it out.

At one point I was stood near where the runs finished, the runners watiing were encouraging Toumpas to catch McDonald, he couldn't do it, does that mean he wasn't trying

I was actually shocked that they did the 300 repeat runs on the first morning

I would be staggered too. If i hadn't have seen it with my own eyes i would not have believed it.

For us to progress we need to be elite - in every way. This time of year is very revealing in a lot of ways. That is all i am saying.

I trust Roos to get this all right. He has the full knowledge. Everything else is simply observation.

With all due respect, some of what you are saying is twaddle

• Like 1

I reckon Howe in the back half, will suddenly make opposition bomb-entries putty in our hands.

I'm not so sure. Percentage play prevents the taking of speccies in the back half. While Howe has a terrific pair of hands for any sort of mark he takes many in situations which would be risky in the back half but perfectly acceptable elsewhere.

• Like 1

I'm not so sure. Percentage play prevents the taking of speccies in the back half. While Howe has a terrific pair of hands for any sort of mark he takes many in situations which would be risky in the back half but perfectly acceptable elsewhere.

While this is true, to take the marks he does he needs to be an elite reader of the ball in flight, as well as having elite hands. Speccies aside, he has a great skill set for an intercept marking half back

While this is true, to take the marks he does he needs to be an elite reader of the ball in flight, as well as having elite hands. Speccies aside, he has a great skill set for an intercept marking half back

I hope not., and so does Howie, spoke to him today, running improvement is all about getting bit more into midfield and wing.....let's not waste him down back......

• Like 1

With all due respect, some of what you are saying is twaddle

I find it really interesting on this site that if there is disagreement that the "go to" stance is personal abuse, rather than debate or argument based on information.

I am quite prepared to admit i am wrong, but be buggered if i am going to yield to someone who has no better argument than, what did you say again, "twaddle". Congratulations on you sophisticated analysis

• Like 3

How tall is Howe? Another big bodied, tall midfielder?

1.9 I believe

I find it really interesting on this site that if there is disagreement that the "go to" stance is personal abuse, rather than debate or argument based on information.

I am quite prepared to admit i am wrong, but be buggered if i am going to yield to someone who has no better argument than, what did you say again, "twaddle". Congratulations on you sophisticated analysis

That was analysis,......somehow you have turned two guys battling in heat on the first day back at training against two 'elite' runners into they are not up to it and could possibly have an attitude problem....I understand there are some Melbourne supporters who will always consider the glass half empty..................I 'll put it more politely....that assumption beggars belief....I was there I stood next to Clisby whilst he dry retched at the end of one run.....

• Like 2

Why? If he can get fit enough, there's no point playing him in the reserves. He is in the top 3 players at the club, he'll slot right back into the seniors once healthy.

I know that, however his injury is career threatening and 2014 needs to be the year that he is eased back in. We all want to see Mitch play again, but we need to be patient.

Were they flying?

Training the house down.

I hope not., and so does Howie, spoke to him today, running improvement is all about getting bit more into midfield and wing.....let's not waste him down back......

That's where he will be damaging for us. A nice let out from defence to put it up to Howe around the middle of the ground. He was getting mauled in the forward line this year and not allowed to fly for his marks, up the ground he will be a very hard match up.

• Like 1

Roos or no Roos I'm not going to fall into the trap of getting too excited over the boys "looking sharp" and "training the house down" at any point this summer. However, I do appreciate the reports. I have zero interest in the Spring Carnival and the cricket still a few weeks away, so I enjoy any Dees fix I can get. Thanks everyone.

Best bit I've read so far is Roos mimicking Hogan's strut. The kid's made of the right stuff. Can't wait to see him in action.

• Like 5