AFL NATIONAL DRAFT - Pick 9

What

Agree I would've preferred to Eagles to stay there especially if they were taking Sheed. I'd be happy if the pies draft Bontempelli, not because I dont rate him but he's up to 194cm and it's a long way to win a clearance at that height. He's going to have to play half forward and half back until he settles at least. We are already trying to introduce Watts and to a lesser extent Howe to the midfield.

He'll be a Goodes-type in the end, I think.

But I agree, not what we're targeting.

Freeman, Lennon, Kolo & potentially a slider.

Aish or Scharenberg? Can't see Billings falling too far.

I think it's too early for Crouch or Salem.

Now that those videos are out, prepare the Ben Lennon hype to build...

I presume you mean in the general footballing public, not MFC supporters. He looks like a good ball user and a nice set shot, but I want us drafting natural mids. I guess I'll trust Roos and his team though.

• Like 1

He'll be a Goodes-type in the end, I think.

But I agree, not what we're targeting.

Freeman, Lennon, Kolo & potentially a slider.

Aish or Scharenberg? Can't see Billings falling too far.

I think it's too early for Crouch or Salem.

Aish might fall a spot or two, but I still see him going top 5 with what people seem to be saying (Media and forums). Only reason for him to slide, that I can tell, is that he might need a bit more time to develop and is a slight build.

No good point me commenting on who is best or who my pref might be, only to say that we are lacking out and out midfield type players, and I hope we look at a bigger body that might be ready for AFL football.

Yep. Just watched both Lennon and Freeman. Lennon would be my pick based on the vision only.

See, I'd go with Freeman. His hips remind me of Moloney though, but he's quicker, a better kick and can win the ball on the outside seemingly.

Edited by AdamFarr

It could be a typo but afl website had crouch averaging 37 touches over 7 games at tac cup. Is that right?

Would be pretty close to right, he was getting a lot of ball at tac cup level. A bit quieter at the champs as he was coming off broken hand.

It could be a typo but afl website had crouch averaging 37 touches over 7 games at tac cup. Is that right?

According to Knightmare he didn't get less than 30 touches all year in TAC and had a few 40+. He's also reputed to be pretty lazy on the track and not to have much endurance. Scary to think what sort of numbers he'll be getting if he can develop a tank.

See, I'd go with Freeman. His hips remind me of Moloney though, but he's quicker, a better kick and can win the ball on the outside seemingly.

I thought Lennon looked the far better kick.

He just had a lot more composure. Freeman semed to rush his kicks and kick to position rather than pick a player out.

Totally depends on Lennons ability to learn how to play through the middle. I would be happy with either to be honest.

I am basing this on highlights alone. I would love to know what they are both like defensively.

• Like 3

Not really worried.

Different lists, different gameplans, different needs.

And I don't think their trade was based on being worried about us at 9.

We wouldn't be banking on just one player.

I think it's more likely that we gazump them by having pick 9 ahead of their pick 10.

Mind you, we could've gazump we Collingwood if we wanted.

Pick 9 & 40 for pick 6 is better than pick 11 & 37 for pick 6.

As far as the Eagles are concerned, since they plan to ontrade 37 for Yeo.

You've raised a really good point there.

Surely eagles would have preferred our puck 9 and 40 and 40 would have still got them Yeo.

So why didn't we trade instead of filling wood unless we knew there was no threat of collingwood chasing the player we have in mind.

Lennon looks great in those highlights. Really handy attributes to have for someone who can be developed into a full time mid. Kicking and marking are unbelievable and whilst his frame isn't solid yet, he's no stick. Extremely hard to tell from a highlights package but if Lennon's not afraid of getting his hands dirty and has the right attitude, he'll be a jet.

Josh Kelly extremely underwhelming. Have seen him play before a couple of times and the highlights are the same. He'll get eaten alive next year if he plays AFL. Definitely needs a frame.

Freeman is the other I'd be happy with although he seems to have a habit of throwing ball to boot without thinking ala Nathan Jones early in his career. Something that can be easily fixed.

We need a well rounded mid with pick 9. Not a one-dimensional inside mid with not much outside game or a skinny classy outside mid with no ball winning ability. Needs to be a Dangerfield/Fyfe type of player for us.

Lennon or Freeman. Make it happen.

• Like 4

According to Knightmare he didn't get less than 30 touches all year in TAC and had a few 40+. He's also reputed to be pretty lazy on the track and not to have much endurance. Scary to think what sort of numbers he'll be getting if he can develop a tank.

Tested in top 10 in 3k time trial. Maybe he drops off after this?

Looking on BF, Collingwood fans are thinking Freeman at 10, they are hoping to grab who (if anyone) slips from the top 5. I think Freeman will more likely than not be there at pick 9.

Just on Crouch, If you were to look at his stats, he did get a lot of the ball, but he also had a lot of handball recieves, Im talking 15+ each game, some games he would get 25 +

I would put money on Collingwood taken Bontempelli or Freeman. I belevie they will take Freeman now they have pick 6.

Taking Dom Sheed at pick 9 would be nice coup and also stick it up up WCE. He would be good fit for us.

• Like 1

Sheed is the other I like but I reckon will be gone by pick 9.

Really? I think he's no chance to go that early.

Agree that either Lennon or Freeman are the way to go, although I wouldn't be disappointed with Kolodjasnij.

I can imagine Roos wanting him as a Malceski-like driver off the HBF and wing.

Lennon I see as being a bit like Steve Johnson.

Will play high HFF for a few years before be can move into the middle.

Very smart player though. Plays the angles well and always looking ahead a couple of steps. Fantastic kick.

Edited by Machsy
  • Like 1

Crouch gets a lot of footy, but doesn't have a lot of polish.

Not really clean, just shovels it out a bit haphazardly at times and not a great kick.

He's a high volume accumulator, and that in itself has a lot of worth, but considering what class is available at pick 9, it's a firm NO.

If he was there at a 2nd round pick you wouldn't hesitate.

• Like 1

Just on Crouch, If you were to look at his stats, he did get a lot of the ball, but he also had a lot of handball recieves, Im talking 15+ each game, some games he would get 25 +

He was told he needed to improve his outside game, at least he listens.

Terry Wallet on trade radio saying we should take Sheed at pick 9 if hes there

the Wallet hath spoken

Can't see it myself but we all know Terry's record at selecting players.

I am more confused now than before.

On that footage alone, and, based on the players likely to be in contention at 9, the two that stood out to me weren't genuine mids.

1. Lennon: Very clean, very smart and good size. But, is he capable being a mid, or, is he suited to a roaming HFF role?

2. Koldashnij: This kid could be anything. Reads the play well, has height, pace and a killer boot. Do we need a skinny sweeper, or, can he develop an engine and beef up to play in the midfield?

Freeman is interesting. I love his intent and he clearance work. Unfortunately, he wasn't as clean as I thought, even when he had a little time.....this may come

- Confused - The Vault Junction Oval

• Like 2

Really? I think he's no chance to go that early.

Agree that either Lennon or Freeman are the way to go, although I wouldn't be disappointed with Kolodjasnij.

I can imagine Roos wanting him as a Malceski-like driver off the HBF and wing.

Lennon I see as being a bit like Steve Johnson.

Will play high HFF for a few years before be can move into the middle.

Very smart player though. Plays the angles well and always looking ahead a couple of steps. Fantastic kick.

Just read this - very similar thoughts.