2013 Player Review - # 17 Sam Blease

Demonland

A disappointing season from the youngster who was expected to step up and provide some excitement. Still has plenty to work on, particularly his defensive side.

Games MFC 2013 10 Career Total 31

Goals MFC 2013 5 Career Total 34

Games CSFC 2013 8 Goals CSFC 2013 4

Keith "Bluey" Truscott Memorial Trophy 71 votes

One of the players I am most looking forward to under Roos. Had natural flair and instincts to run and take the game on but needs to learn to do it both ways. Struggled to adapt under Neeld but the nurturing nature of Roos may allow him to thrive.

Has the x factor not many others have, just needs to get the basics right first

I'm not sure how Paul Roos is going to take to Blease. I was once a fan but have been let down far too often to the point where I'm thinking he might even be of more value to us on the trade table than anywhere else.

To think that when he was playing for Vic Metro in the under 18 championships, I rated him well ahead of the likes of Zaharakis and others who are now so far in front of him that it's not funny.

• Like 3

Like so many of the draft picks of that time, one dimensional and not built or wired to play the modern game.

Which is why the likes of Zaharakis, who has a more complete, less flashy game have overtaken him.

Needs to re-invent himself.

Edited by dandeeman

Was David King's prediction to be Melbourne's breakout star in 2013, based upon the practice match he attended.

Do us a favour King. Stop making predictions.

He did say last year around May that getting Neeld was a big mistake for us. He saw the writing on the wall before any of us did.

But i agree the guy is a muppet

He did say last year around May that getting Neeld was a big mistake for us. He saw the writing on the wall before any of us did.

What he did was take swipe at an easy target. He made the comment when Neeld had barely been 6 months into the job if I recall correctly. The fact Neeld ending up getting the sack a year and a half later doesn't make the timing of his comments any less premature.

Ask Geelong fans what they think of his predictions.

King alright. King [censored].

I'm not sure how Paul Roos is going to take to Blease. I was once a fan but have been let down far too often to the point where I'm thinking he might even be of more value to us on the trade table than anywhere else.

To think that when he was playing for Vic Metro in the under 18 championships, I rated him well ahead of the likes of Zaharakis and others who are now so far in front of him that it's not funny.

I agree with you WJ.

I honestly think what you see is what you get with Blease.

I would trade him today. Another poor pick IMO.

Very disappointing season.

Like so many of our players I just don't know where he stands.

IMO he is not a midfielder, not a forward, not a back man - could be a wingmen?

As said above he is going to need to learn to run both ways if he wants to stick around under Roos - in a similar boat to Tappy

Very disappointing season.

Like so many of our players I just don't know where he stands.

IMO he is not a midfielder, not a forward, not a back man - could be a wingmen?

As said above he is going to need to learn to run both ways if he wants to stick around under Roos - in a similar boat to Tappy

IMO neither have the aerobic capacity for modern AFL.

neither play out standing games at VFL level.

I doubt they will be on our list in 2015 but who knows Roos might work a miracle.

At the risk of making ranga comparisons, perhaps he could become our Gary Rohan? He would however need to learn how to chase and tackle first, but he's capable of some brilliant things on the field and his speed is a weapon.

Been a big disappointment so far. Arguably the biggest. Hope he can turn it around next year cause it could be his last chance to do so.

Edited by P-man

He has x-factor, but will he have the drive to work hard enough under Paul Roos? Needs a big pre-season if we hold on to him, build his tank so he isn't puffed after a 100m sprint.

I still think he can become a player for us.

I agree with you WJ.

I honestly think what you see is what you get with Blease.

I would trade him today. Another poor pick IMO.

He could have been a poor pick or he could have been poorly developed.

I think we always jump to the conclusion that its a poor pick if a player doesn't meet our expectations.

I don't believe where we are now comes down to poor selection.

Watts, Scully, Trengove, Morton, Strauss, Blease, Tappy, Cook, Gysberts - You can't just blame that on poor selection. Look at all those players does any have what you would call an AFL body/endurance?

All those players where high draft picks but none have performed as expected.

To use a really bad metaphor: Building a list is like baking a cake, you can buy the best quality ingredients (players) but if you suck at baking (developing) then your cake is not going to taste very good.

How does Geelong turn late draft picks into good players? - it doesn't just come down to good drafting.

However there are obviously some who have been poor selections and possibly Blease was one of those - we will never know.

Edited by Young Dee

He could have been a poor pick or he could have been poorly developed.

I think we always jump to the conclusion that its a poor pick if a player doesn't meet our expectations.

I don't believe where we are now comes down to poor selection.

Watts, Scully, Trengove, Morton, Strauss, Blease, Tappy, Cook, Gysberts - You can't just blame that on poor selection. Look at all those players does any have what you would call an AFL body/endurance?

All those players where high draft picks but none have performed as expected.

To use a really bad metaphor: Building a list is like baking a cake, you can buy the best quality ingredients (players) but if you suck at baking (developing) then your cake is not going to taste very good.

How does Geelong turn late draft picks into good players? - it doesn't just come down to good drafting.

However there are obviously some who have been poor selections and possibly Blease was one of those but its just impossible to make that call.

No tank young Dee and IMO will never have one, also appears to want to play one way and appears loath to change.
  • Like 1

No tank young Dee and IMO will never have one, also appears to want to play one way and appears loath to change.

Sounds a bit like Gysberts from Demonland reports. I guess that could come down to his character and/or club culture - that Frawely and Watts group seem to be the back class slackers of the team.

I wonder how much influence a group like that has on the rest of the team.

Edited by Young Dee

He takes the game on and is not inhibited like most on our list. He's got speed and we must develop his endurance. I thought that was why we had Mission. If we can't then the training programs are flawed. However he must run both ways and be smart and time runs...For me he gets another yr to see what he can be, I reckon he will be a weapon.

Roos rated him as 'potential' in an article assessing Melbourne's list. Roos wants pace but you would think he would be scratching his head a bloke like Blease with great pace cannot rack up the tackles.

Yes I reckon he is a one dimensional player but if coached well has the attributes to be a consistent damaging player.

Sam should just see the ball, get the ball and run off with the ball and kick the goal. And play a simple game.

He is a simple one trick pony but his speed is a great trick. Showed some 'glimpses' at the end of 2012 but seemed to go a long way backwards last year.

Has been a victim of over coaching in my opinion and looks very confused game day.

Hopefully he can find a spot on a flank/wing and go back to playing a simple fun game

For what? Pick 88?

Contracted till next year, wouldn't get anything for him if traded so better to wait and see for another season

he'll be a sweetener I reckon...or part of something convoluted.