Paul Roos - he is now our King

Ron Burgundy

I wonder how much our 2010 demolition of Sydney had in the decision making process for Roos. I reckon he must have thought: "F**** they couldnt be that bad- a couple of years ago they were incredible"

While the God complex of this thread is a bit over the top, I do still randomly grin to myself when I remember that we landed Roos.

Whereas I constantly find myself saying "ROOSY!" to no one in particular. It's also become useful to counter any arrogance from the girlfriend (a Hawks supporter). Their current success no longer matters. Any Hawthorn talk is immediately extinguished with "ROOSY"!

• Like 2

COLA aside, I've never really had any great issue with the Swans. An ugly side is being revealed here.

Colless always has been a tosspot, I guess.

I beg to differ on Colless. OK he may have been off the mark with the Roos comment - time will tell but generally he is spot on the money.

If we put allegiances to one side, he was one of the few presidents to really hit the nail on the head with Hird.

Juilan Burnside and Essendon cult called hird heroic but as we all know he was anything but,

To be fair, if the situation were completely reversed we would all up in arms about the poaching going on...

But I would like to add that I don't care. Get the best!

If the situations were reversed and we had played in three grand finals in the last ten years and won two of them and just played in a PF I would be deliriously happy.

I live for the day other teams want to poach half our organisation.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 2

If the situations were reversed and we had played in three grand finals in the last ten years and won two of them and just played in a PF I would be deliriously happy.

I live for the day other teams want to poach half our organisation.

I say they can have our Ex President, Ex CEO and Ex Senior Coach and Ex Board Members.

But the can leave us our new King.

I love the fact that we have PJ and Roosy, talk about 2 no bullish!te men that just get on with the job. That honestly do not take a step back, we have all been waiting for this to happen since......... since............ for bloody ever. Its about time this sleepy giant a woke. God speed Roosy!

What a pathetic thread title. No offense to anyone, but come on...

The Duke of Donvale perhaps?

• Like 3

I wonder how much our 2010 demolition of Sydney had in the decision making process for Roos. I reckon he must have thought: "F**** they couldnt be that bad- a couple of years ago they were incredible"

I was there that day JnrMac but to be honest, we need to put that behind us. Roosy might have thought that for all we know but that being said, many on here look at that as the rule and not the exception in regards to how good we are. I know that mightn't have been your intention JnrMac but since that day, we have been on a steady slippery slope to near oblivion while the Swans dusted themselves off and won another flag.

While the God complex of this thread is a bit over the top, I do still randomly grin to myself when I remember that we landed Roos.

I do too Nasher but I thought the segment on OTC was less than impressive. The relationship between Roos and the Swans should be good, both parties were very good for each other. The fact it has soured benefits nobody.

Something has obviously gone on that has upset the Swans and IMO the best thing to do would have been to resolve it away from the media. Roos should have rung Colless and if possible sorted it out. Sending an email demanding an apology doesn't strike me as the way friends who respect each other would go about this if there had been a genuine misunderstanding.

Once you get past the macho beating of hairy chests only harm has been done. The spin off of the "tiff" is that Dew seems to be out of the equation for Roos assistant and the chances of sensible trading with the Swans is more difficult. I can't see how we win anything. Roos has handled this poorly by escalating this situation by using his privileged position as an OTC panellist.

I know I'll get howled down for this view and I fully support Roos but it won't stop me critically evaluating things he does. This was a mistake IMO where we have gained nothing and perhaps lost something.

• Like 2

The fact it has soured benefits nobody.

im not up to speed with you here BB.. How does it matter what our relationship is with the Swans...or any other club in that regard...

were we looking at having drinkies .. or a spin on the harbour afters ..etc. ?? facetious yes.. but wtf does it matter either way ?

What does matter is now when someone takes a swing they get a whack back !! I have NO problem with that...none at all.

I do too Nasher but I thought the segment on OTC was less than impressive. The relationship between Roos and the Swans should be good, both parties were very good for each other. The fact it has soured benefits nobody.

Something has obviously gone on that has upset the Swans and IMO the best thing to do would have been to resolve it away from the media. Roos should have rung Colless and if possible sorted it out. Sending an email demanding an apology doesn't strike me as the way friends who respect each other would go about this if there had been a genuine misunderstanding.

Once you get past the macho beating of hairy chests only harm has been done. The spin off of the "tiff" is that Dew seems to be out of the equation for Roos assistant and the chances of sensible trading with the Swans is more difficult. I can't see how we win anything. Roos has handled this poorly by escalating this situation by using his privileged position as an OTC panellist.

I know I'll get howled down for this view and I fully support Roos but it won't stop me critically evaluating things he does. This was a mistake IMO where we have gained nothing and perhaps lost something.

I know I'll be accused of being a fence-sitter as usual, but we don't really know what went on. You could equally argue that Colless should have spoken to Roos before going to the press criticising him in such a brutal manner based on facts Roos denies.

Since Colless apparently struck the first public blow, I'm not at all convinced Roos is at fault. Do we really want him to be walked over just to increase our chances of doing trades etc with Sydney? That's not the toughen-up/be hated message that many on here as keen on.

edit to add: On reflection, I'd remove the word 'equally' from the second sentence and replace it with "more strongly".

Edited by sue
  • Like 3

I think it's brilliant that Roos has said that he doesn't want to cop an unfair whack. It goes to the heart of being a club that stands up for itself. To that end, even when we are in the wrong lets attack, attack, attack. There is nothing to lose here except for the title of soft touches of the AFL.

I think it's brilliant that Roos has said that he doesn't want to cop an unfair whack. It goes to the heart of being a club that stands up for itself. To that end, even when we are in the wrong lets attack, attack, attack. There is nothing to lose here except for the title of soft touches of the AFL.

I agree. We are slowly repainting the image of our club as featherweights

• Like 1