Forecasting the Demons, Round 1, 2014

Thought this deserved it's own thread. Post the line-up you believe (injury permitting) we will trot out in just over six months time.

For me:

FB: Clisby Frawley Garland

HB: Grimes McDonald Terlich

C: Toumpas Viney Aish

HF: Kent Dawes Watts

FF: Howe Clark Hogan

RR: Gawn N Jones McKenzie

I/C: Trengove Evans Adams Greenwood

Next 5: M Jones, Fitzpatrick, Taggert, Jetta, Dunn

This lineup is working off the assumption that we DO NOT get a priority pick.

- I believe we draft Aish with pick two, though i wouldnt mind seeing that pick get swung for either Rory Sloane, Scooter Selwood or David Swallow.

- I believe we trade Jamar and our second round pick (maybe an additional sweetener) for Taylor Adams from GWS

- I believe we trade our third pick and maybe a sweetener for Levi Greenwood from the Roos.

- I believe Watts stays and Sylvia goes.

I believe there is definitely reason for optimism with the above lineup. Our forward line will be one of the most potent in the league, our backline looks rock solid, and Aish, Greenwood, and Adams provide a well needed top-up to a midfield that will boast an improved Viney, Toumpas and Evans. We may need to recruit a good crumbing forward as well, but this prediction is based on a midfield-first recruitment plan.

Thoughts? I know many are probably too worn down to think about next year and that's fine. As I'm posting this, I realise it probably belongs in the 'Find a Friend for Jesse' forum, but that's for the Mods to decide.

Oh and the most important piece, Paul Roos as coach is worth including.

Cheers

Edited by Demonof1994

not sure about aish

players with 2 vowels at the start of their name rarely dominate

would love to see jack steven

and one other top class mid

Edited by jazza

not sure about aish

players with 2 vowels at the start of their name rarely dominate

would love to see jack steven

and one other top class mid

We'd all love to see Jack Steven but StKilda wouldn't trade their best younger player even if we gave them pick 2, so let's be a bit realistic.

Aish with pick 2, second round for Adams and third or forth round for Greendwood is a realistic trade period.

I'm not sure Clark will be ready to be the back up ruck come round 1. Fitzpatrick may find a role over Hogan who might be eased into the team. If we get Roos he won't be rushing Hogan.

I'm also not sure about having 3 big forwards and Watts and Howe named in the same forward line. Roos would rather use those positions for back up midfielders. Starting Watts or Howe as the sub or playing them on a wing after a proven preseason might be wiser. I know Roos is generally anti preseason but I'd love to see us treat all games like round 1 and be prepared for once.

Can I wait till I see our squad for 2014 please!

yeah...might make it a tad more relevant :rolleyes:

You are 95% on the money Demonof1994.

Your trading possibilities work for me but I am unsure about Aish starting round 1.

Jamar and pick 2 for Adams is a winner as I rate Adams very highly.

The only downside is you have neither Fitzpatrick or Spencer in to help out Gawn: are you suggesting we swing Clark in and through the ruck? I hope not.

Also, could Barry be a starter in 2014? He may compete with Evans for a place but Evans showed a fair bit until he got injured (again).

If Watts leaves, Taggert comes into the 22 on the interchange and Trengove goes to the wing.

C: Toumpas Viney Evans
I/C: Trengove Fitzpatrick Adams Greenwood

Your trading possibilities work for me but I am unsure about Aish starting round 1.

The only downside is you have neither Fitzpatrick or Spencer in to help out Gawn: are you suggesting we swing Clark in and through the ruck? I hope not.

Also, could Barry be a starter in 2014? He may compete with Evans for a place but Evans showed a fair bit until he got injured (again).

If Watts leaves, Taggert comes into the 22 on the interchange and Trengove goes to the wing.

Good point you make about the rucks , but I think we would become a bit too top-heavy with Gawn, Fitz, Dawes, Hogan and Clark in the side. I could be wrong though. Would love to see Barry, but my preference is Evans at the moment, Barry could definitely contest with Evans and Kent for a gig though

Don't care who is in the side Round 1 2014.

I just want 4 points...a win.

We would be in the 8...!!

and if we win every game in 2014 we would be Premiers!

Unfortunately it time to face reality.

IMO the MFC can expect about 5 to 8 wins next season.

Jamar and pick 2 for adams? no way in the world, james aish imo is as good a prospect as adams if not better, jamar and 21 sounds better to me.

Jamar and pick 2 for adams? no way in the world, james aish imo is as good a prospect as adams if not better, jamar and 21 sounds better to me.

My original post says Jamar and OUR second pick. Not pick 2 overall

My original post says Jamar and OUR second pick. Not pick 2 overall

Sorry mate, didn't read it correctly.

Hogans_Heroes

we have tabled a substantial long term offer, but as far as i knew he wasn't really keen on coming to MFC, i suppose it's a better chance with Roos on board.

Sorry mate, didn't read it correctly.

Hogans_Heroes

we have tabled a substantial long term offer, but as far as i knew he wasn't really keen on coming to MFC, i suppose it's a better chance with Roos on board.

All good

Actually if Boyd was still there, I would have no objection of picking him up instead of Aish with our No. 2 pick [in addition to trading for Taylor Adams with our second round pick No. 20]. Also not sure that Sylvia will leave and still see a role for him [ahead of Greenwood].

Watching the Bulldogs game... I really don't see Gawn being our No.1 ruck man in the short term future. He looks to have skills but at this stage in his career he really needs to build on his endurance and add a few Kg's to his frame. Against Minson he was just bullied in the ruck because he didn't have enough size and strength. I don't mind Spencer at this stage... he really seems to work hard and he has second efforts once the ball hits the ground... seems to love the contest and looks to tackle and get into the contested stuff. Might not have the polish as a few others but maybe having him as no.1 and clark no.2 would be good?

• Like 1

Also would love to see Howe play more on the wing. With Dawes, Clark and Hogan in the forward line I think that gives us flexibility with Howe and he can rest up forward. He defintely has the skills and speed to play on the wing and would be a great leading option coming out of the backline.

Actually, we could be ninth. But I'd take it.

say that again

and you were in the room when he said it

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm9th