Brett Ratten, Worthy of consideration

Deemanding

It appears that Paul Roos is out contention for the senior coaching position, I believe there is a case to pursue Brett Ratten;-

50.9% win ratio. Considering the starting point, a more than a fair result after 5 years at the helm. Carlton were nearly as diabolical us at the time of his appointment,thus has first hand knowledge of a dispirited player group and a club that had endured many years of hard times with a disgruntled and disillusioned supporter base.

In his first full year of coaching in 2008 won 10 games compared to 4 wins in 2007, appears to readily get his message and game plan over to playing group with immediate results. The MFC can't afford to spruik another 5 year rebuild without any initial hope.

His last year at Carlton with the benefit of hindsight ,11 wins and losses. seems to stack up well against the messiah with virtually the same player group. May of been harshly and unjustly dismissed.

At the moment, an assistant coach at the current ladder leader and premiership favourite. If we can't get Alistair Clarkson, getting someone from the inner sanctum would be a tremendous fillip . Remember, the Hawks 10 years ago where down and out. Brett having intimate access to Clarkson and the Hawthorn establishment, would of undoubtedly enhanced his already well credentialled arsenal of tactics and man management. The success Damian Hardwick is now having at the Tigers after a stint as an assistant coach at the Hawks is a great precedent thus can't be under estimated.

Could be another John Northey. Northey was harshly dealt with by the Swans, again replaced by the messiah at the time, Tom Hafey. With fire in the belly and a point to prove, guided the Dees to its most successful period since the glory days of Norm Smith.

Understands and has experienced the MFC culture,without been part the old boys club,thus, no surprises or false impressions. Even though the last decent midfield coach we've had at the club, thought it best to advance his career by coaching Norwood in 2nd Division of the EFL. Enough said!

I know there are other worthy candidates such as Eade and Williams, however I thought I throw Brett Ratten's name into the ring to get a bit if discussion going.

• Like 2

Ratten>Craig

I tend to agree - probably just because my mind tells me that Craig has been at the club for a couple years now which must mean he is bad (also seems to be almost to relaxed)

Not sure about Ratten as coach - maybe Williams as coach and Ratten as assistant or as midfield coach.

In any case we should be looking at getting him to the club as well as Ling.

Edited by Young Dee

As is shown under Micky Milkshake: Carlton is an ordinary team that shouldn't have got close to the finals it found itself in under Ratts. He's a better coach than he is given credit for, and he has a Swooper style of getting the best out of so-so players.

Give him five years and we *will* be a power of the competition,

• Like 1

Ratten>Craig

How is that, Stuie?

Craig was Adelaide's longest serving coach. An early pioneer of the whole team run from behind the footy that defines our era of 'slingshot' footy. A bloke who had the term 'Crowbots' invented for his hard working cadre of 22 competitors.

The last 7 games does not define Craig, and nor does Neeld.

I think many are being swayed by perception and it's a shame.

• Like 3

I wouldn't be against this. I'm still on the Rocket Eade train. Next would be Chocko with plenty of reservations. I think Ratts would be up there as I think he would handle other political issues around the club better than Chocko and wouldn't be as outspoken but I think Chocko would be more likely to produce results on-field.

I wouldn't be against this. I'm still on the Rocket Eade train. Next would be Chocko with plenty of reservations. I think Ratts would be up there as I think he would handle other political issues around the club better than Chocko and wouldn't be as outspoken but I think Chocko would be more likely to produce results on-field.

yep, im all for rats

btw shouldn't you be working on something??

• Like 1

How is that, Stuie?

Craig was Adelaide's longest serving coach. An early pioneer of the whole team run from behind the footy that defines our era of 'slingshot' footy. A bloke who had the term 'Crowbots' invented for his hard working cadre of 22 competitors.

I know it's close to impossible to change a game plan this late into a season, but our team selection and game day coach performances have been as bad under Craig as they were under Neeld.

• Like 3

Ratten simply overacheived with the crappy Carlton list, Malthouse has simply not achieved with it. Finally the one eyed biased Carlton supporters can see that their list is not as good as they thought.

As for Rattan, I would love him at the MFC, although as head coach not too sure.

I know it's close to impossible to change a game plan this late into a season, but our team selection and game day coach performances have been as bad under Craig as they were under Neeld.

I would tend to disagree with that. I think you have forgotten what the team was like under Neeld - go and watch one of the mid season games.

Craig has thrown Neelds boundary line/contested ball gameplan in the bin and has said take the game on and go through the corridor.

Craig was not really left with much and I don't think his team selection has been that bad (he is playing Fitzy and Kent, Davis and Strauss and generally left Rodan, Pederson and Nicholson out). I would like to see Taggert but think he should stay in the Casey environment for the rest of the season (so really there is no one else who we could really bring in accept maybe Magner).

I would tend to disagree with that. I think you have forgotten what the team was like under Neeld - go and watch one of the mid season games.

Craig has thrown Neelds boundary line/contested ball gameplan in the bin and has said take the game on and go through the corridor.

Craig was not really left with much and I don't think his team selection has been that bad (he is playing Fitzy and Kent, Davis and Strauss and generally left Rodan, Pederson and Nicholson out). I would like to see Taggert but think he should stay in the Casey environment for the rest of the season (so really there is no one else who we could really bring in accept maybe Magner).

Have you watched any of the games since Craig took over or are you kidding?

we are still losing the plot mentally, craig has installed no confidence that could be sustained, cant see what he has done to push him ahead of eade and williams

Think you're the one embarrassing yourself with these quality in-depth posts pal.

I'm not your pal.

But fine, embarrass yourself.

It wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

What specific selection decisions and gameday performances are you referring to?

I'm not your pal.

But fine, embarrass yourself.

It wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

What specific selection decisions and gameday performances are you referring to?

How about you say something about footy before questioning others. All you've given to this thread so far is a "no thanks" and some insults.

• Like 1

As a mids coach for sure he has had a run with us before as well IIRC

How is that, Stuie?

Craig was looking over Neelds shoulder when he handed Pederson a 3 yr deal,we just have to hope that Brisbane hire him so we dont have to pay out another contract, at the moment hes been the best candidate to finish the season off,theres no possible way that hes in contention for head coach next year.

Ratten would get my vote. I thought that he was doing a reasonable job at Carlton and was unlucky with injurys. Malthouse has obviously not been any better. He has also had assisitant experiance at the Hawks, Blues and us previously, so he would of gained a lot of experiance. He is also a respected bloke. He would be my first choice. I am not sure why he has not been mentioned as much as some of the other names.