• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

What is the one thing that has kept you going?

the fork

Bon and bred Demon, couldn't support any other team and wouldn't even contemplate it. Love the Demons and will till the day l die.

• Like 2

It's only football. A long time ago I realised that it wasn't a good idea to abdicate my own happiness to a bunch of dumb arse footballers. Once you let go of the idea of allowing winning or losing to overly affect your state of mind the process of supporting your club becomes much more enjoyable. These days I sit at the Gee in an almost Karmic state as I watch our lads butcher another kick or handball to the stationary guy with three beefy defenders surrounding him. When things get tough i simply mutter my own little mantra to help me get through the game. "Ohm Hot jam donuts, hot jam donuts, hot jam donuts". Works every time.

• Like 2

I don't need to tell a single person reading this forum that its been a tough several years for us all. Like many on here I love my footy club, its been mine since birth and I find myself caring about it more than I probably should. I don't need to provide a spread sheet of the potential saviours, false dawns, tragedies, mistakes, anguish and failures we as a club have endured. There has been times in the past few years where in my darker moments I was forced to ponder which club I'd barrack for should mine bite the dust? The sad answer is, there is no answer, I'd probably give the game away. During this time I think we've each held onto something that has kept us going. A thought, a hope, a simple wish. I'm interested to know what yours is?

What's the one thing that has kept you supporting our club during these lean years?

# Hope, til Now...

# Now.... nothing fork,,, I've been feeling like that since the late 90's off & on...& pretty much right thru the early 2000's, I've felt truly sceptical.....

I've been to One game this year & haven't renewed my membership this year by way of protest... & disillusionment at the congested game I do not like, & the way the AFL has treated us as a scapegoat, for their own misdeemeanors.

...also the inept ways of generation upon generation of MFC boards & admins failures, to give us the supporters something Real. add to that, the realisation that the club doesn't care about the supporter base anymore, & only tries to Prop up the members, & I find with my beliefs & philosophies of Life, I can't support those ways,,,, as long as the club doesn't start to lookout for its grass roots supporters with facilities.... if all I'm doing via membership, is supporting that way of thinking, then I'll withdraw to just being a TV & Radio & internet participant... & listen from the Pier, the River, the Beach, or the boat?

# Hope, til Now...

# Now.... nothing fork,,, I've been feeling like that since the late 90's off & on...& pretty much right thru the early 2000's, I've felt truly sceptical.....

I've been to One game this year & haven't renewed my membership this year by way of protest... & disillusionment at the congested game I do not like, & the way the AFL has treated us as a scapegoat, for their own misdeemeanors.

...also the inept ways of generation upon generation of MFC boards & admins failures, to give us the supporters something Real. add to that, the realisation that the club doesn't care about the supporter base anymore, & only tries to Prop up the members, & I find with my beliefs & philosophies of Life, I can't support those ways,,,, as long as the club doesn't start to lookout for its grass roots supporters with facilities.... if all I'm doing via membership, is supporting that way of thinking, then I'll withdraw to just being a TV & Radio & internet participant... & listen from the Pier, the River, the Beach, or the boat?

I might join you Dee-luded

where did you have in mind.

Edited by old dee

I don't need to tell a single person reading this forum that its been a tough several years for us all. Like many on here I love my footy club, its been mine since birth and I find myself caring about it more than I probably should. I don't need to provide a spread sheet of the potential saviours, false dawns, tragedies, mistakes, anguish and failures we as a club have endured. There has been times in the past few years where in my darker moments I was forced to ponder which club I'd barrack for should mine bite the dust? The sad answer is, there is no answer, I'd probably give the game away. During this time I think we've each held onto something that has kept us going. A thought, a hope, a simple wish. I'm interested to know what yours is?

What's the one thing that has kept you supporting our club during these lean years?

# Hope, til Now...

# Hope, til Now...

Oh so you are not a supporter now, assume you are not going to post any more on here either then?

Oh so you are not a supporter now, assume you are not going to post any more on here either then?

I'm now a barracker, until the club changes away from being unrepresentative of ordinary demon supporters... it'll stay that way... & read the post again about internet.

I'm now a barracker, until the club changes away from being unrepresentative of ordinary demon supporters... it'll stay that way... & read the post again about internet.

I would like to hear/see your defintion of an ordinary demon supporter,

what facilities?

My point was unless you are actually 'immersed' in the Club as most posters on here are, your opinion on anything would not carry the same weight, although of course this board is a democracy and you are allowed to post

I do not have the brains to stop

We don't need brains when we have single malt whisky. A dram or two of Laphroiag will always ease the pain and keep me going. As long as Scotland continues to produce the good stuff, I need nothing else to keep me dedicated to the Dees.

Not sure what I would do if I wasn't able to drink...

The reality is that all this emotional and time investment in a miserable losing team, where there is seldom any joy, only STRENGTHENS our resolve. Otherwise, what is all that investment for? It's brutally ironic that the worse things get as a Dees supporter, the less option there is to stop caring, as the sense of waste would be just too overwhelming. It's NOT an option.

One day, Sisyphus adorned in his Red and Blue scarf will roll that boulder to the top of the hill, stand atop it, shout to the world "all good things come to the Dees who wait" then fall to his knees weeping with joy.

Just before the rock rolls back and squashes him for all time? I didn't really mean that. It's just sometimes hard not to see things through jaundiced eyes.

• Like 1

Each year around October/November the membership renewals for me and three of my kids arrive in the mail. There is no conversation, discussion or discernment - we are Melbourne people through and through so we renew. I was born 6 months after our last premiership and have not wavered one day in my support. I will say that this year almost got to me. After seeing the West Coast and Essendon games early in the season I had to stop watching games, going to games and even visiting Demonland - it was seriously the lowest point of my Dees supporting life. That is including the horrible mid-1970's period when we were poor.

What gets me through?

Addiction - possibly.

The greatest game on earth - yes.

Love for the club - yes.

Love for the jumper - probably more than anything else.

I'm Melbourne, through and through, and no dysfunctional administration or administrator, pathetic coach, skinny player, or loud-mouth Collingwood/Hawthorn/Carlton/Essendon tossbag will move me away from the Dees.

And when we DO hold up the cup - don't come near me if you are not a Dees supporter - I will give all of you the biggest spray ever and love every minute of it.

Melbourne - through and through.

• Like 2

I would like to hear/see your defintion of an ordinary demon supporter,

what facilities?

My point was unless you are actually 'immersed' in the Club as most posters on here are, your opinion on anything would not carry the same weight, although of course this board is a democracy and you are allowed to post

all opinions are the same satyr...

weight? what weight? who cares about weight, I only care about tangible things... not member numbers or $$$ spent at sponsors whims... there's only One thing MFC I care about now, & thats to get the that cup.

.... apart from that I've lost interest in footy pretty much.. don't like watching AFL on TV anymore, after once being an avid watcher of all afl games,,, & reader of all footy & sport news... the world over.

although I found, I didn't mind listening on the radio... I didn't have to watch it.

I think my go will be local footy, upcountry... or car racing & rallying, fishing, etc... I may join a car club. & buy me a yank tank. :wub:

#edit: ... thanks for allowing the democracy to continue satyr, you sure I can post tho?

Edited by dee-luded

Each year around October/November the membership renewals for me and three of my kids arrive in the mail. There is no conversation, discussion or discernment - we are Melbourne people through and through so we renew. I was born 6 months after our last premiership and have not wavered one day in my support. I will say that this year almost got to me. After seeing the West Coast and Essendon games early in the season I had to stop watching games, going to games and even visiting Demonland - it was seriously the lowest point of my Dees supporting life. That is including the horrible mid-1970's period when we were poor.

What gets me through?

Addiction - possibly.

The greatest game on earth - yes.

Love for the club - yes.

Love for the jumper - probably more than anything else.

I'm Melbourne, through and through, and no dysfunctional administration or administrator, pathetic coach, skinny player, or loud-mouth Collingwood/Hawthorn/Carlton/Essendon tossbag will move me away from the Dees.

And when we DO hold up the cup - don't come near me if you are not a Dees supporter - I will give all of you the biggest spray ever and love every minute of it.

Melbourne - through and through.

Maldon boy, as someone else who was conceived the year of our last premiership, I have occasional moments of horrible imagining that it was my entry into the world that cursed the club. Many thanks to you for allowing me now to share that burden ;-)

Maldon boy, as someone else who was conceived the year of our last premiership, I have occasional moments of horrible imagining that it was my entry into the world that cursed the club. Many thanks to you for allowing me now to share that burden ;-)

So you and Maldon boy are the problem.

Please change to Collingwood or adelaide.

Only joking Webber

all opinions are the same satyr...

weight? what weight? who cares about weight, I only care about tangible things... not member numbers or $$$ spent at sponsors whims... there's only One thing MFC I care about now, & thats to get the that cup.

.... apart from that I've lost interest in footy pretty much.. don't like watching AFL on TV anymore, after once being an avid watcher of all afl games,,, & reader of all footy & sport news... the world over.

although I found, I didn't mind listening on the radio... I didn't have to watch it.

I think my go will be local footy, upcountry... or car racing & rallying, fishing, etc... I may join a car club. & buy me a yank tank. :wub:

#edit: ... thanks for allowing the democracy to continue satyr, you sure I can post tho?

I beg to differ, a jaundiced opinion is not the same as an optimistically based opinion, you stilll didn't answer my question about ordinary supporters or facilities, footy is going to the ground for 2 to 2 and half hours, watching the game and then leaving

I beg to differ, a jaundiced opinion is not the same as an optimistically based opinion, you stilll didn't answer my question about ordinary supporters or facilities, footy is going to the ground for 2 to 2 and half hours, watching the game and then leaving

... when I said 'ordinary' supporters/barrackers... (now we seem to have even to differentiate between a supporter which once we all were, before members became the new vogue), I was saying grass roots supporters who are not yet taken a membership, or members who just sit anywhere around the outer.

the club, imo does not look after these well at all... & worse since that new northern stand was built, removing the players race from reach of the non members. & no more access to the rooms, as was, prior to the new northern stand.

I wish that old smokers stand was still there... like the sydney siders did at the SCG.

dee-luded and Saty As a non MCC member I have always sat out with the plebs.

If I am very honest I have always felt like a second class member.

I do agree with you dee-luded that we are now well and truely divorced from the team, not that it is the MFC's fault.

I go to other football clubs and I get a more belonging feeling than I ever have going to the G to watch the Dees.

Has it stopped me going to watch the MFc for the past 54 years? No!

But I am not sure that it is not a dicouragement for young people and future members.

I have longed for a social club for 40+ years, I doubt we will ever have one.

The cruncher for me is win games when that is happeneing the rest just becomes minor irritations.

I'm just concerned that we'll find that we've mixed up our mythical characters and instead of being Sisyphus we'll find out we're actually Icarus, get to the top of the mountain and have our wings drop off.

In answer to the question initially posed, I think it's passion. The Demons may not give all the rewards that passion can deliver, but they also don't expect anything in return.

Camus had Sisyphus as the happiest of all mortals, on the grounds that there wasn't anything worse could ever happen to him - and every time he stretched at the top of the hill, before starting back down again, he knew he had all over again achieved a kind of victory. Survival - what can Collingwood and Essendon and Sydney supporters know about that, compared to us?

Edited by nextplease
  • Like 3

dee-luded and Saty As a non MCC member I have always sat out with the plebs.

If I am very honest I have always felt like a second class member.

I do agree with you dee-luded that we are now well and truely divorced from the team, not that it is the MFC's fault.

I go to other football clubs and I get a more belonging feeling than I ever have going to the G to watch the Dees.

Has it stopped me going to watch the MFc for the past 54 years? No!

But I am not sure that it is not a dicouragement for young people and future members.

I have longed for a social club for 40+ years, I doubt we will ever have one.

The cruncher for me is win games when that is happeneing the rest just becomes minor irritations.

I always sit in the outer, and myself and my lovely lady vary it, depending on the crowd and who we are playing. the MCC would definitely not have me as a member, but feeling divorced from the Club?.....I go and watch training, I attend functions, I go to the AGM, I volunteer for things etc etc.......you can be as involved as you want to be.....

I always sit in the outer, and myself and my lovely lady vary it, depending on the crowd and who we are playing. the MCC would definitely not have me as a member, but feeling divorced from the Club?.....I go and watch training, I attend functions, I go to the AGM, I volunteer for things etc etc.......you can be as involved as you want to be.....

I do all those too Saty.

But there is not the same feeling for me as there is at other clubs (non AFL ) that I visit.

Now a large part of that may be the fact that we are an AFL club and it is hard to be involved in the same way you can at a smaller club.

I Have friends who are Carlton, Richmond and Hawthorn members, I have been with them on numerous occasions to their home games ( not always when playing the dees ) and it feels different. It is hard to explain, just feels more inclusive.

• Like 1

So you and Maldon boy are the problem.

Please change to Collingwood or adelaide.

Only joking Webber

Could try it, but the footy gods would know my heart wasn't in it.....