Changes v Lions

stuie

My changes for this week v Lions at TIO Stadium:

IN: Viney (sub)

OUT: Nichsolson

No one really put their hand up at Casey. Dom Barry was probably our best IMO, but he's not ready for AFL level, especially in the sapping Darwin conditions. Viney was rusty but ok, we'll need him this week even though he's probably a little underdone. I'm really hoping they resist the urge to bring in McKenzie or Pedersen who are just not up to AFL standard.

wrote this earlier, but quickly go over it again

DAVEY is finished and doesn't want to play footy anymore

wrote this earlier, but quickly go over it again

DAVEY is finished and doesn't want to play footy anymore

You know he's been playing forward yeah? You do also know we had the lowest inside 50s count on the weekend since the stat was recorded?

Just saying.

• Like 1

You know he's been playing forward yeah? You do also know we had the lowest inside 50s count on the weekend since the stat was recorded?

Just saying.

yeah I know all that

early in game he made no effort to run 30 metres to contest,

thought id get knocked for this ,but after 3 years and 3 coaches, its quite obvious , this man doesn't want to play footy

and find somebody who has watched last 3 years to disagree

the man is not interested

• Like 1

yeah I know all that

thought id get knocked for this ,but after 3 years and 3 coaches, its quite obvious , this man doesn't want to play footy

I disagree. I think he's shown some new life this year for the most part. At least more than what I expected.

• Like 2

With the Darwin conditions some thought might be given to going smaller up forward but I think for the sake of development and not cooking big Maxy Gawn we'd go with Fitzy, Watts and Dawes all in the team. Just look for one of them to make way as a sub if we are injury free.

If it sounds bad it's because it is - a soaking wet day in Geelong will always be a day that Davey struggles with. A nice slippery evening in Darwin might produce better results for him.

Besides that I wonder if it's time to give Kent a spell. He's not impacting games at all and I think it's time he goes back and has some big games at Casey.

OUT: Nicholson, Kent
IN: Viney, Strauss

Time for Strauss to be played. We all know about his limitations but his kicking is a weapon and especially in Darwin conditions to have a guy who doesn't turn it over and can actually hit targets from the backline will be crucial. We owe it to ourselves to fully make sure he's had chances to impress at AFL. We know Blease has had about 1million. I'd start Strauss and bring Clisby as the sub and play him on a wing when he comes on.

• Like 2

"... his kicking is a weapon"

Based on what I saw of him yesterday, mainly his panicky decision making, the only weapon he can be compared with is a 9mm to the foot.

Suffers from the same malady as the rest of his team mates - an inability to get the ball QUICKLY by foot further afield. Long and floaty doesnt equate to weapon-like in my book. When he can kick like a Malceski then he becomes dangerous.

"... his kicking is a weapon"

Based on what I saw of him yesterday, mainly his panicky decision making, the only weapon he can be compared with is a 9mm to the foot.

Suffers from the same malady as the rest of his team mates - an inability to get the ball QUICKLY by foot further afield. Long and floaty doesnt equate to weapon-like in my book. When he can kick like a Malceski then he becomes dangerous.

So what did he do right yesterday to be in the best 6?......mentioned in a couple of newspaper reports as well as having a strong game.......you do know what number he was in?

yeah I know all that

Jazza, I am afraid that is me old chap, he was a crumbing forward supposedly on Saturday with nothing to crumb, he laid 5 tackles which was 5 more than Jeremy Howe, so it is all relative......he was injury ravaged for the 2 of the 3 you mentioned, I for one will give him kudos for getting fit enough to be in the team again, it may be his last year, who knows, but to denigrate him like you have is rather unfair

Jazza, I am afraid that is me old chap, he was a crumbing forward supposedly on Saturday with nothing to crumb, he laid 5 tackles which was 5 more than Jeremy Howe, so it is all relative......he was injury ravaged for the 2 of the 3 you mentioned, I for one will give him kudos for getting fit enough to be in the team again, it may be his last year, who knows, but to denigrate him like you have is rather unfair

was hoping the last person I would upset was you

didn't want to denigrate him. the sad truth is its all over

im hoping for memories sake this is his last year

btw this is 3 years of not being THERE, its as I said VERY SAD

but for team balance and harmony,lets see him out the right way

I thought Strauss was good yesterday. He stood out amongst are very poor lot. Worth a look IMO. But if Craig does elavate him, he needs to told and given 5 games playing on a wing rotating in the back line.

"... his kicking is a weapon" Based on what I saw of him yesterday, mainly his panicky decision making, the only weapon he can be compared with is a 9mm to the foot. Suffers from the same malady as the rest of his team mates - an inability to get the ball QUICKLY by foot further afield. Long and floaty doesnt equate to weapon-like in my book. When he can kick like a Malceski then he becomes dangerous.

I'm not sure we were at the same game yesterday. It was blowing a gale and all kicks floated either with the wind or against it.

I would bring in Dom Barry, nothing to lose play him as a sub, drop Kent, he has had a good run at AFL, send him back to VFL get him full of confidence for the finals.

It would be great for Dom's development head away with the team back to the top end get a taste.

I would also bring in Strauss for Dunn, Dunn is a spud, he is a very dumb footballer. I like Clisby and Terlich but the both a very lose in defense, Strauss has worked hard defensively and can kick.

Leave Jordie and Jack in the VFL, we need some fresh players for next week against North.

I would say if we were ever going to give Dom Barry a game this year Darwin would be the place for it. I agree that he's not ready, but he probably won't be this year anyway.

Agree that Viney could probably use another week although his apparent exhaustion had a lot to do with the number of injuries during the match and thus less time on the bench.

In reality though I just don't see that many changes to the side. You can't draw many conclusions from a game in which we were soundly thrashed in pretty much every department like that, especially given the conditions. Bringing in McKenzie for Nicholson maybe. Viney for someone maybe.

We could very well see an unchanged lineup.

I think some of you have forgotten that Spencer is available and he had his career best game v St Kilda, so I reckon they might leave Fitzy behind, given it will be slippery (humid) in Darwin.

Horses for courses means Davey has to play this one and means that Barry should travel with team and maybe be the sub. That probably means Blease misses out, given that Byrnes and Kent were two of our better players against Cats.

The other selection issues are whether to bring back Viney and McKenzie - I'm told neither set world on fire in VFL.

McKenzie would have to come in as swap for Nicho and could tag Rich.

Not sure whom Viney would come in for, but among options would be resting Howey (looks a bit tired of late), Dunn (only thing saving him is his long kick, although it rarely hits a target) or Clisby (He didn't provide any run against Cats - not alone though- and Grimes did well as defender against Lions last time.

So for me its: In: Viney, McKenzie, Barry, Spencer

Out: Fitzy, Nicho, Blease, Clisby or Dunn

I think some of you have forgotten that Spencer is available and he had his career best game v St Kilda, so I reckon they might leave Fitzy behind, given it will be slippery (humid) in Darwin.

Horses for courses means Davey has to play this one and means that Barry should travel with team and maybe be the sub. That probably means Blease misses out, given that Byrnes and Kent were two of our better players against Cats.

The other selection issues are whether to bring back Viney and McKenzie - I'm told neither set world on fire in VFL.

Not sure whom Viney would come in for, but among options would be resting Howey (looks a bit tired of late), Dunn (only thing saving him is his long kick, although it rarely hits a target) or Clisby (He didn't provide any run against Cats - not alone though- and Grimes did well as defender against Lions last time.

We haven't forgotten, we are just aware that he is not up to AFL standard, and that Fitzy and Gawn are going to play a big part in our club's future, rendering no need for him.

In response to the OP:

Ideal changes:

In: Strauss, McKenzie, Rodan

Out: Kent, Dunn, Nicholson

Expected changes:

In: McKenzie

Out: Kent

Viney needs more time at Casey to get his fitness up.

McKenzie isn't a quality footballer by any stretch, but we need someone to be able to quell the influence of a star opposition player (this week, Rich, Hanley, or Rockliff), and Nicholson just does not cut it.

Edited by Demonof1994

Are you Spencils brother?He is really not in the mix.

Rest Howe-never.

Blease out?he is our best run and carry player.

MckEnzie is out because he cannot kick the ball to another Melbourne player.

I agree with you on Nicho because at the moment he is a three goal player-not for us.

Barry no.

Jetta yes-play him out to see if the glimpses were just that.