WELCOME TO DEMONLAND - PAUL ROOS

timmyo64

Some think Williams is THE choice.. You assume hes second choice etc . Its not desperation to be looking at someone as a serious contender just because hes not the medias favourite

No matter who gets our gig I won't hold my breath for success, we have lived this nightmare for many a moon.

I think Roos might like hot humid weather. Me thinks he is off our List of coaching options. Would have loved to have him but he is perhaps a bit too smart to sign up to the MFC basket case.

I would say that 28 degrees, blue sky and warmish as of yest would be a bit more appealing than Melbs weather unfortunately.

Not a popular choice but Rodney Eade is the man for Melbourne. He is a career coach. Think he'll be better for his role at the pies.

im with you my clear choice was a good coach at both sydney and bulldogs still has alot to offer and good developer of kids prooven!

So because there's speculation that Roos may be linked to the Brisbane job "he's not that good anyway" and "it was really Lyon and Longmire that should take the credit". Speculation from people not equipped to know. And heresay from expert "Geelong" sources.

Classic Demonland.

Mock and misquote if you like, but it comes from those that would probably know, including from the head coach (that bit is 2nd hand though).

Mock and misquote if you like, but it comes from those that would probably know, including from the head coach (that bit is 2nd hand though).

I'm sure they have an opinion, but they wouldn't "know" anything.

There's an old saying, success has a thousand fathers and failure is an orphan.

I don't discount the contribution of others, but to succeed when you're the one steering the ship in AFL footy should never be under estimated. Just ask Neeld, Voss and countless others.

Edited by Ben-Hur

It's true, i highly doubt anyone but Roos himself actually knows what he is going to do.

That's great, but it has nothing to do what was being discussed.

My apologies, this is a Paul Roos thread so i assumed your comment would be related to him ;)

• Like 1

It's true, i highly doubt anyone but Roos himself actually knows what he is going to do.

Everyone knows what he is going to do. Not coach unless something changes and then he'll tell everyone.

Since he made that comment, Lions position is now available and possibly Essendons. Wonder what they will do if Hird gets suspended for 12mths which I suspect would be about right. Who will coach next year, who will coach after that. Hird? Wonder if that all constitutes something changing.

Everyone knows what he is going to do. Not coach unless something changes and then he'll tell everyone.

Since he made that comment, Lions position is now available and possibly Essendons. Wonder what they will do if Hird gets suspended for 12mths which I suspect would be about right. Who will coach next year, who will coach after that. Hird? Wonder if that all constitutes something changing.

Just read an interview with him tonight where he said the exact same thing to the lions as he did to us, not interested in coaching, at the moment, no commitment has been made to the lions, he would let them know if things change, felt uneasy even talking about it while Voss was in place, if he is being honest this may backfire on the lions.

There's an old saying, success has a thousand fathers and failure is an orphan.

I don't discount the contribution of others, but to succeed when you're the one steering the ship in AFL footy should never be under estimated. Just ask Neeld, Voss and countless others.

Fair point.

But I still think it gives somewhat of an insight.

Alternatively they could have said he was a great coach/tactician/motivator and has a lot to respect in the industry.

That they didn't tells me he isn't the cut-above first choice as advertised.

I still think we will end up with a good coach, whether its Roos, Williams or Eade.

It's the alternative to those 3 that really scares me.

Fair point.

But I still think it gives somewhat of an insight.

Alternatively they could have said he was a great coach/tactician/motivator and has a lot to respect in the industry.

That they didn't tells me he isn't the cut-above first choice as advertised.

I still think we will end up with a good coach, whether its Roos, Williams or Eade.

It's the alternative to those 3 that really scares me.

I remember seeing Roos out and about a bit during his playing days with the Roys and the thing that alway stuck with me was he was the centre of the playing group, everything gravitated around him and I think this is what he brings to coaching. He is a leader and people follow him, and he's also smart enough to delegate and let people do their thing. Man management and getting the best out of people is a big part of coaching.

Whether he comes to us or not, who knows. I just hope we get the right man for the job this time.

• Like 1

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/brisbane-lions-coach-michael-voss-will-not-be-given-a-new-contract/story-fndv8d6r-1226696515172

Roos says he spoke to Lions a month ago, said he felt uncomfortable talking to them whilst a coach was still in place, and they said Voss was aware they were speaking to Roos.

Now, making the assumption Roos is telling the truth, does the shellshocked Voss seem like someone who knew other people were being asked about their availability for his job?

Voss, who in the morning was participating in a presser discussing the tough job he had in coming weeks selling Brown on going around again, seemingly unaware of his impending departure?

If Roos has been lied to by the Lions CEO, do you think he'd feel particularly good towards that organisation at the moment?

That he'd feel he could trust them and that he'd like to work with those people?

Not saying Roos will come to MFC, but Roos to the Lions seems hardly a fair accompli.

...and that puzzles me even more, as to why the Lions would unceremoniously pull the rug out from under a favourite son, without having another coach ready to take his place...

Unless Roos is playing the PR game, so he doesn't cop flak like Ross Lyon when he arrived at Freo.

If Roos does eventually land at the Lions, I know what my money would be on.

Edited by Machiavelli

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/brisbane-lions-coach-michael-voss-will-not-be-given-a-new-contract/story-fndv8d6r-1226696515172

Roos says he spoke to Lions a month ago, said he felt uncomfortable talking to them whilst a coach was still in place, and they said Voss was aware they were speaking to Roos.

Now, making the assumption Roos is telling the truth, does the shellshocked Voss seem like someone who knew other people were being asked about their availability for his job?

Who was participating in a presser discussing the tough job he had in coming weeks selling Brown on going around again?

If Roos has been lied to by the Lions CEO, do you think he'd feel particularly good towards that organisation at the moment?

That he'd feel he could trust them and that he'd like to work with those people?

Not saying Roos will come to MFC, but Roos to the Lions seems hardly a fair accompli.

...and that puzzles me even more, as to why the Lions would unceremoniously pull the rug out from under a favourite son, without having another coach ready to take his place...

Unless Roos is playing the PR game, so he doesn't cop flak like Ross Lyon when he arrived at Freo.

If Roos does eventually land at the Lions, I know what my money would be on.

I got the same sort of impression from the article, wondered if they sacked Voss simply because Roos wouldn't talk to them while he was in place, you'd hope a professional sporting organisation would be better than that.

I still have optimism that we will get our man, but Williams is fine if we don't

I got the same sort of impression from the article, wondered if they sacked Voss simply because Roos wouldn't talk to them while he was in place, you'd hope a professional sporting organisation would be better than that.

Maybe they didn't offer Voss a new contract because he had under performed over 5 years and they did not believe he was the appropriate coach going forward. How unprofessional is that?

• Like 1