Dom Barry, Nathan Stark & Maia Westrupp

KC from Casey

I too have hopes for Barry Stuie, but I don't think the early signs are good.

I see you've conveniently ignored Bitter But Optimistic's post about the weight - Barry is as far from playing a senior game as anyone on our list. The fact that he is 19 (and not a rookie) and is still so far away from a senior game is not a great start. I'm not dismissing him as a failure but he is going to have to shape up pretty quickly and throw on a few kilos - we already have enough players on the list that are 'a while off'.

I didn't ignore it, I just have a different opinion. I don't think his weight is an issue at all. He needs to build up his core strength, but so does almost every first year player. I don't think he's this "skinny rake" others seem to think he is.

Also, I don't think the pressure should be on him because other players are a "while off" the pressure should be on them. The development of Taggert, Tynan, Strauss etc should have no bearing on the expectations on Barry given they were drafted at different times. I think we need to temper our expectations of our young players and let them develop the way we always complain that they are not. The 24-27 year olds should be carrying this team and it's expectations, not the 18-19 year olds.

KC, is that a positive step for Maia and a backward one for Barry? And what can you tell us about Koo?

The development league is a good name for what used to be the VFL reserves and both players need time to develop. Westrupp has only played three games to date and will probably remain at this level for the remainder of the season while Barry will be up and down between the seniors and the DL. This is because ATM there is competition for positions and game time at senior level while at DL level he can be used for longer as a wingman and other roles. In other words, he's not quite up to regular VFL level ATM but he's not going backwards either.

I dare say it'd be just to give him as much game time as possible brother, take a deep breath.

Song, it's normally this time of year that I turn to the progress of the young blokes. Purely a coping mechanism

• Like 2

Now now Stuie. I don't want to get involved in a debate here and raise your blood pressure but Barry is 183 and 70 compared to the rather strappind Morton at 193 and 88.

Went to a function with him a little while back, said he has put on about 10kg since coming to the club, so he might be around 80kg now - not huge I know, but an improvement

Think he needs to be thought of as a project type player. He won't play AFL this year. My expectation is he'll start to get a chance lateish next year.

I really rate the kid. Has great attitude, aggression at the ball, and really reminds A LOT of Michael Long.

'stuie', I think you are over rating him in the aggression stakes. Watching him a few times at pre season training in any of the competitive drills he was very timid, especially when faced with an opponent coming front on. Maybe you've been to a few Casey games and seen that he's turned it around but definitely not on training form, the Michael Long thing well we can only hope.

He does have some good skills 'stuie', he is a nice kick of the ball and he has built up a bit already in the time he's been at the club so this may give him some more confidence.

Went to a function with him a little while back, said he has put on about 10kg since coming to the club, so he might be around 80kg now - not huge I know, but an improvement

I asked him the same thing, Stark and Barry are both very young and growing, we have been pilloried in the past for breaking players, caution is the word with both, Barry is happy just playing, he floats between Development and Seniors depending on who else is available, watched him at Sandy in the wet and he had a very good game, watched one bit, one hand pick up coming out of the 50, lowered his eyes and bent a left foot lace out to Hogan....I am prepared to wait

Stark is really combative and an inside mid because young, more benefiical for him to build up gradually, we have Magner and Couch getting 40+ touches in Seniors so not really a spot anyway

Westrupp's development has surprised/delighted the coaching staff, a couple of weeks ago at Sandy they put him in defence he nailed his direct opponent 4 times with tackles, spoken to him a couple of times, handballing is still iffy, kicking is getting better, absolutely loves the physical stuff

• Like 1

RTG IMO to make it as an AFL player you have to have the correct body shape and the necessary amount of skills / talent.

If you are built like a rake then you have to have a large over supply of skill and talent.

From the occasions I have seen him at training and Casey Barry has too much of the former and is way down in the second.

Don't hold much hope for him.

There are not many Robert Flowers in any 20 year period.

Jake Neade weighs 67kg and is getting a game each week with Port.

Dom is now weighing 76kg

He needs to work on the defensive aspect of his game (sounds familiar) and if he can string a few good games together in the seniors he's been told he will get a game in the Melbourne side 2nd half of the season. Got a lot of talent and can run.

• Like 1

I too have hopes for Barry Stuie, but I don't think the early signs are good.

I see you've conveniently ignored Bitter But Optimistic's post about the weight - Barry is as far from playing a senior game as anyone on our list. The fact that he is 19 (and not a rookie) and is still so far away from a senior game is not a great start. I'm not dismissing him as a failure but he is going to have to shape up pretty quickly and throw on a few kilos - we already have enough players on the list that are 'a while off'.

AND he was taken in a swap for Pick 13 if memory serves. Was always overs by plenty IMHO

AND he was taken in a swap for Pick 13 if memory serves. Was always overs by plenty IMHO

Ahhhh no he wasn't! Let's get the facts right.

Pick 3 and Pick 13 went to GWS in return for Hogan, Barry and Pick 20. Also as part of this deal we allowed Gold Coast to take the first mini draft selection in a trade for pick 3 and therefore meant Viney got through to the second round. See Emma Quayle reference.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/three-win-in-minidraft-20121009-27bbk.html

So it's Hogan, Viney, Dawes and Barry for pick 3, 13, and 26.

So you can actually break that down as Hogan for pick 3, Viney for pick 13 (even though he was drafted at pick 26) and Dawes for pick 26 (despite being traded for 20) and Barry as the set of steak knives.

It was said pre draft that his value was as a late second or third round pick - somewhere between 30 and 55. That's where we should consider him for player development, not that it should be influenced by draft pick.

Taylor Duryea and Sam Grimley played in their first games for the hawks this year after being on the list for 4 years. They also showed little until last year that they'd even make it to AFL standard. We should hold on to kids for too long because we do have an opportunity to play them if they are good enough but what they do in their first year at least should be inconsequential.

• Like 8

Stephen Hill debut in 2009 at 72 kg but was also surrounded by a more experienced Midfield to assist him. So I think there are exceptions to the weight argument. But would prefer to see him given the chance to develop before deciding to get rid of him. There are others on the list that could be dropped before any of the three listed in the op especially since we are going along the youth line.

Stephen Hill debut in 2009 at 72 kg but was also surrounded by a more experienced Midfield to assist him. So I think there are exceptions to the weight argument. But would prefer to see him given the chance to develop before deciding to get rid of him. There are others on the list that could be dropped before any of the three listed in the op especially since we are going along the youth line.

The fact Barry is playing this week doesn't necessarily mean he's gone backwards. Could be an opportunity to get a full game into him whilst its available and then when the Dees go to Darwin he can have his week off then. That would be clever management

What did Barry cost us exactly? Wasn't he a first round draft pick (14?)? Surely for that he should be playing Casey Seniors at 19yo!

Typical of MFC in not regularly updating their Player Profiles!

What did Barry cost us exactly? Wasn't he a first round draft pick (14?)? Surely for that he should be playing Casey Seniors at 19yo!

Read my post number #37. He certainly wasn't a first round draft pick. He was closer to steak knives than that. Most likely valued as a third round pick.

Typical of MFC in not regularly updating their Player Profiles!

And nor should they. The primary focus on the club should be playing footy not spending money on website details being upgraded. Plus the players change weights all the time.

One game in Darwin or a bad case of gastro and they drop 5kg. Barry is light, needs to practice more physical footy and needs time. Put it this way in three years time, he should have an AFL body and if with that experience comes a tougher edge we will then have a guy who can run (both speed and endurance), can use the ball really well and can kick a goal.

Everyone gets upset that we didn't pick Lewis Jetta when he was playing park footy. Now we have a guy who could be a similar (without the brilliant speed but still quick) player and everyone wants to toss him out.

Got here at quarter time with Casey leading by a few goals but Werribee won the second and lead 7.5 to 6.6 at half time.

Barry kicked a nice goal, but not a lot else, Stark has not done a lot and Westrupp must have been at other end so nothing to add. I'm focusing more on Barry, who I would like to see work harder off the ball ATM.

Three quarter time: Casey Scorpions 9.9.63 to Werribee 8.8.56

Westrupp is at full back on a guy a foot taller. Beaten in the air a couple of times but won contest overall IMO. I know Stark is out there as I see him coming on and off, that's about it. Better quarter from Barry and another nice goal.

Casey Scorpions beat fourth placed Werribee by 2 goals but It's a significant victory because it enables the Scorps (7th) to stay in the finals race.

AFL Victoria Development League

Casey Scorpions 4.6.30 6.6.42 9.9.63 14.17.101

Werribee 2.0.12 7.5.47 8.8.56 13.11.89

Goals

Casey Scorpions Smith 4 Barry Clay Riseley 2 Fusinato Hill Jackson P Rosier

Werribee Tudor 3 Hicks 2 Davis Fort Purton-Smith Ruggles M Sullivan W Sullivan Williams Zumbo

Best

Casey Scorpions Pollard Lindsay Matthews P Rosier Smith Anderson

Werribee Ruggles Laracy Tudor W Sullivan Fairley Graham

Another cook

He is so unlike Cook that it is not funnily! Cook was recruited as a KPP (CHF?), Barry as a running outside midfielder. Where is the comparison?