2014 off-season will be huge (list management)

Number 2

FYI, here is rpfc's wonderfully comprehensive Contracts Thread.

OOC at the end of 2013 - Watts, Sylvia (UFA), Davey (RFA), Taggert, Gawn, Tynan, Fitzpatrick, Nicholson, MacDonald, Sellar, Jetta, Davis, Rodan, Gillies, with Magner, Couch Clisby and Stark of the rookies

Out of that list you'd be looking at;

Re-sign - Watts, Sylvia, Gawn, Davey (reduced contract and assume he doesn't retire) though you'd consider trades if offered up for any of them

De-list - Gillies, Rodan, Davis, Jetta, Sellar, MacDonald, Nicholson, Fitzpatrick, Tynan

Unsure - Taggert (although I get Taggert and Tynan confused - one is a maybe keep the other is a delist)

Of the rookies I'd upgrade Magner, Couch can go not sure on the other two as have never seen them play.

So that's a pretty easy 9 spots freed up with a potential further two or three depending on what happens with Taggert, Sylvia and Davey.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 1

I have a footy signed by Watts so I want him in the side....de-list gillies, davis, sellar, Nicholson, tynan, give magner and couch a run in the second half....maybe trade blease...I don't know....

And please can I see Taggert against the Saints. How long is it going to take? It seems like Senior selection is based purely on draft order and not on what's being shown at VFL level. Or have I missed something?

I'm pretty sure Taggert missed all of last season with a serious back injury so this is almost effectively his first season.

• Jesus chose 12 followers or disciples, most of them were fishermen but Matthew was a toll collector, going by that I suggest we recruit players with a nautical theme in mind and someone who works for either city link or the tax office, success assured

I have a footy signed by Watts so I want him in the side....de-list gillies, davis, sellar, Nicholson, tynan, give magner and couch a run in the second half....maybe trade blease...I don't know....

Delist Tynan? Patience is required sometimes my young padawan.

• Like 1

Delist: David Rodan, Tom Gillies, James Sellar, Joel MacDonald, Josh Tynan, Daniel Nicholson, James Magner (rookie), Tom Couch (rookie), Nathan Stark (rookie)

Trade: Lynden Dunn for late pick (Sydney may see him as someone they can transform. Have lost Mattner off half back). We need to get rid of him for everyones sake.

Contract extentions: Sylvia & Watts 3 years, Gawn, Taggert & Davis 2 years, Davey, Jetta & Fitzpatrick 1 year and Mitch Clisby a 2nd year on the rookie list.

Automatic Inclusion: Jesse Hogan

Free Agent: Daniel Cross

National Draft: First 4 picks should all be midfielders who can win their own ball. An ability to play and use the ball off half back would be useful for at least 1 or 2 of them would be nice also. Last pick in that draft should be used on a small forward. Wouldn't mind us taking a punt on Chris Michaeliades from Sandringham Zebras, 21 year old with serious talent and goal sense.

Rookie Draft: Three picks, would use one on a project key position defender with some real athletic abilty but a bit untapped at this stage. Worst case scenario and Chip leaves at the end of 2014 we should get some depth in this department. Other two picks I'd use on mature age KPF'S to protect our structure in case as this year we have injury issues with the likes of Clark, Dawes or Hogan. Andrew Ainger a 25 year old 197cm forward with the Eagles in the SANFL has kicked 28 goals in 9 games this year and maybe Khan Haretuku who's just come back for the Dolphins in the VFL after a long injry lay off. 23 year old 198cm & 98kg. Can take a grab and works hard up the ground.

Our 22 would look along the lines of:

FB: Garland, Frawley, Terlich

HB: Grimes, McDonald, Toumpas

C: Sylvia, N. Jones, Evans

HF: Howe, Hogan, Tapscott

FF: Clark, Dawes, Byrnes

FOLL: Jamar, Cross*, Viney

INT: M. Jones, Trengove, Watts

SUB: Davey

And at Casey we'd have:

FB: RDraft, Davis, Clisby

HB: Strauss, Pedersen, NDraft

C: Blease, NDraft, Barry

HF: Bail, Haretuku*, Kent

FF: Fitzpatrick, Ainger*, Michaeliades*

FOLL: Gawn, NDraft, McKenzie

INT: Jetta, Spencer, Taggert, NDraft

*If we recruit them.

NDraft = National Draft Pick

RDraft = Rookie Draft Pick

And obviously I expect Viney and Taylor to oversee the list overhaul.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Tall Defence
  • Like 2

• Jesus chose 12 followers or disciples, most of them were fishermen but Matthew was a toll collector, going by that I suggest we recruit players with a nautical theme in mind and someone who works for either city link or the tax office, success assured

What about recruiting another Jack?

And please can I see Taggert against the Saints. How long is it going to take? It seems like Senior selection is based purely on draft order and not on what's being shown at VFL level. Or have I missed something?

Taggert is inconsistent at VFL level. Giving away games of footy will not make a better club.

Taggert is working on the defensive aspect of his role and until consistent in doing so doesn't deserve a senior game.

• Like 3

Don't think anyone would pick up Dunn, Sellar or Spencer even if we dropped them.

Fair point, but I was just focusing on what I would like to see happen. Dunn is still under contract for next season, so I'm not sure what that means regarding delisting options, so that's why I suggested a trade. Same goes for Spencer.

As for Sellar, I'd be happy to retain him for depth purposes only.

• Like 1

We really are reaching for the stars here aren't we; some of the best 22's are not much better than the ones we are playing now.

If we are serious we need to get rid of the NQR players and try to trade for some quality. Why would you swap the two best players in the VFL for a couple others from the same comp who are not even as good? If we get rid of Magner and Couch then for Christ's sake let's give up on this crap idea of so called Moneyball players.

We will have some early picks available so if we want to get a good player we are going to have to coax him across and offer up an incentive to his club to trade him. If we start picking up second rate players from minor comps we might as well fold the tent.

The MFC has become the dumping ground of all other teams and comps, no wonder we are ridiculed by the football world.

Edited by RobbieF

Taggert is inconsistent at VFL level. Giving away games of footy will not make a better club.

Taggert is working on the defensive aspect of his role and until consistent in doing so doesn't deserve a senior game.

Maybe they should play him in the middle instead of starvation corner...anyway I think he should play AFL because at least he knows what to do with the ball when he gets it. The kids one of the best kicks in the club, he is a strong build and good mark.

Bomber Thompson talked about getting games into kids at Geelong the other night, it's not giving away games to players with talent because a lot of the others in the side don't deserve to be there in the first place. The sooner him, Toumpas, Hogan, Viney, Kent and co get over 50 games the better off we will be.

• Like 1

Maybe they should play him in the middle instead of starvation corner...anyway I think he should play AFL because at least he knows what to do with the ball when he gets it. The kids one of the best kicks in the club, he is a strong build and good mark.

Bomber Thompson talked about getting games into kids at Geelong the other night, it's not giving away games to players with talent because a lot of the others in the side don't deserve to be there in the first place. The sooner him, Toumpas, Hogan, Viney, Kent and co get over 50 games the better off we will be.

Your post resonates with me strongly, well said.

Terlich and Kent have more skill and footy smarts in their pinky fingers than a lot of our list put together.

Taggert should be given some games. I would have much more faith in him producing good footy and contributing positively in comparison to someone like Bail for instance.

..... or a speed camera operator??

Mitch Clark is a stuffed unit and will never play afl again.

Whilst this is a real concern, is your statement based on fact, or on very understandable deep Demon pessimism?