Melbourne "great" Gerard Healy says coach Mark Neeld has two weeks to save his job

I know that there has been plenty of post on this topic and though I am loathe to start another thread on it

I think it need to be highlighted that it is now finally out in the open

In the Herald Sun today Gerard Healy has stated that Mark Neeld has two weeks to save his job !!!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/melbourne-great-gerard-healy-says-coach-mark-neeld-has-two-weeks-to-save-his-job/story-fni5f91a-1226651659514#

We play Hawthorn and then Collingwood, so if Healy is correct this just isn't going to happen

So it looks like its bye bye Neeld !

But the real important Question for me is if this is the case who will replace him ?

All I know and I believe most Melbourne supporters believe is we need a coach with a actual proven track record for a change ???

If we go for another wannabe that will most likely be the end of the Melbourne Football Club!

Another interesting Article is Gerard Healys comments on our Midfield

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-05-27/healy-on-demons-neeld

Earlier in the year (i think after the GC game) someone mentioned after Queens birthday as when Neeld would be gone and I agreed. It certainly looks like that's on track and when you think about it it makes sense given the bye offers a chance for the club to regroup after what will be another painful experience.

Barring us getting an upset of the century or performance of the year to push either one of these two teams, I believe Neeld will be gone by Tuesday/Wednesday after QB. Sad thing for Mark is there is nothing he can do about it, it's all down to the players. If they want him there then they will play for him and his future.

Equally as sad is that if they do put in a winning performances after he is sacked what does that say about the players.

This is what annoys the hell out of me LS. For decades we have had the players dictate what happens at the club, and as soon as someone comes in and tries to change that mentality, they don't "buy in" and it's the coach that cops it.

I'm not saying the coach should stay, but the players shouldn't escape charges. They are as responsible for the state of the MFC as the coach, president and board are, but are the ones that avoid any level of accountability being placed on them.

• Like 7

Earlier in the year (i think after the GC game) someone mentioned after Queens birthday as when Neeld would be gone and I agreed. It certainly looks like that's on track and when you think about it it makes sense given the bye offers a chance for the club to regroup after what will be another painful experience.

Barring us getting an upset of the century or performance of the year to push either one of these two teams, I believe Neeld will be gone by Tuesday/Wednesday after QB. Sad thing for Mark is there is nothing he can do about it, it's all down to the players. If they want him there then they will play for him and his future.

unfortunately the team we put on the field against Freo are not capable of producing a winning or even courageous losing pefrormance. They may ironically BE playing for Mark Neeld but sadly playing for him and being capable of winning are two different scenarios.. Bye bye Mark if his job is now depending on the Hawthorn and Collingwood games...

Equally as sad is that if they do put in a winning performances after he is sacked what does that say about the players.

It says they are not being stifled by a terrible gameplan, lack of communication and bare now eing backed to take the game on.

Edited by hogans_heroes
  • Like 1

This is what annoys the hell out of me LS. For decades we have had the players dictate what happens at the club, and as soon as someone comes in and tries to change that mentality, they don't "buy in" and it's the coach that cops it.

I'm not saying the coach should stay, but the players shouldn't escape charges. They are as responsible for the state of the MFC as the coach, president and board are, but are the ones that avoid any level of accountability being placed on them.

Those players not capable of being successful AFL players "shouldn't escape charges" as you say. They WILL NOT be there next year with our Club I sincerely hope... That will be the result of their "charges"

Those players not capable of being successful AFL players "shouldn't escape charges" as you say. They WILL NOT be there next year with our Club I sincerely hope... That will be the result of their "charges"

WTF?

I am not concerned about the players who appear to be incapable of making an AFL career. Every team has them, but I admire their work ethic and their "want" to get better, even if they are fighting a losing battle.

It's the ones that are capable that need addressing. The line of "I want to play finals before the end of my career so I will look elsewhere", that doesn't sit with me. You think you're good enough to get a game with Geelong or Hawthorn? Why don't you start by playing to the best of your ability with the MFC first.

The Moloney saga last year was satisfying for me. Great example of a player who thinks they can do what they want because they are a "good" player, have a person (Neeld) challenge them, they sulk, think they can get a walk up start in a better/higher/successful team, make it known well before the end of the season about their intentions, then all of a sudden when push comes to shove, only 1 team wants tehm, and it's a team that is not much better off than us! It gave me great pleasure to see that unfold for a player who tried to hold my club to ransom.

Out of "the" 3, only Frawley will get snapped up by a top team, but not all in the Top 8 will take him on because of his professionalism.

• Like 6

WTF?

I am not concerned about the players who appear to be incapable of making an AFL career. Every team has them, but I admire their work ethic and their "want" to get better, even if they are fighting a losing battle.

It's the ones that are capable that need addressing. The line of "I want to play finals before the end of my career so I will look elsewhere", that doesn't sit with me. You think you're good enough to get a game with Geelong or Hawthorn? Why don't you start by playing to the best of your ability with the MFC first.

The Moloney saga last year was satisfying for me. Great example of a player who thinks they can do what they want because they are a "good" player, have a person (Neeld) challenge them, they sulk, think they can get a walk up start in a better/higher/successful team, make it known well before the end of the season about their intentions, then all of a sudden when push comes to shove, only 1 team wants tehm, and it's a team that is not much better off than us! It gave me great pleasure to see that unfold for a player who tried to hold my club to ransom.

Out of "the" 3, only Frawley will get snapped up by a top team, but not all in the Top 8 will take him on because of his professionalism.

You may be a "Master Demon" and have been responsible for a few thousand posts on DL, but I am entitled to and will always express my opinions and your reply starting with "WTF" doesn't phase or impress me one iota.. I ,unlike you, AM very concerned about the players who appear to be incapable of making an AFL career..them .being on our list is my concern !! "every team has them" BUT we have many more which is the bulk of our problems.and as for Moloney going to the only team that wanted him...you say Brisbane is not much better off than us ??? Really ??? don't see much evidence to back that up andwho really cares ?? Beamer certainly made our midfield look pretty poor at the Gabba .. Remember we only lost by 26 points and he had 30 plus that day and was probably the difference between the two teams... !!!

You may be a "Master Demon" and have been responsible for a few thousand posts on DL, but I am entitled to and will always express my opinions and your reply starting with "WTF" doesn't phase or impress me one iota.. I ,unlike you, AM very concerned about the players who appear to be incapable of making an AFL career..them .being on our list is my concern !! "every team has them" BUT we have many more which is the bulk of our problems.and as for Moloney going to the only team that wanted him...you say Brisbane is not much better off than us ??? Really ??? don't see much evidence to back that up andwho really cares ?? Beamer certainly made our midfield look pretty poor at the Gabba .. Remember we only lost by 26 points and he had 30 plus that day and was probably the difference between the two teams... !!!

Soxy, I couldn't give a toss how many posts I have made and how many you have made, I don't waste my time looking at that stuff.

Moloney leaving was one of the best things for this Club going forward. It showed that when a player dictates to the club how they are going to do things, and sulk if the club doesn't allow it, that sometimes you're better off pulling your head in, working your ass off and start doing what you are paid to do. The fact that only Brisbane wanted him should've been a big wake up call for the likes of Sylvia and Watts. You can't put on a public display of unprofessionalism, like what Moloney did last year, and expect the power clubs will want it. FWIW, I would make our midfield look poor at the moment, but that's just Beamer hey, star against poor sides. Good for him.

The players that are in danger of not being AFL standard don't have very good role models or mentors to help get that extra few % out of that might jkust make them AFL standard. I think you fix that first, then you worry about who can and can't play footy.

• Like 2

I've changed the title to accommodate the fact that Gerard Healy never was, is or will be a Melbourne great.

He left the club for big coin from Sydney and was a part of the Sydney team that was humiliated by Melbourne in a semi final in 1987. That's how I like to remember him - a mercenary in a losing finals team.

He might have won a "Bluey" and might have been a Sydney "great" but he's done nothing to inspire a feeling in me that he was a great of our club and to use that adjective in relation to the person demeans our club.

• Like 13

Healy is a goose.

Fancy leaving the Ultimatum for when we face power sides Hawthorn and Collingwood.

• Like 2

Is there any chance that we will have a new coach before seasons end or are we just looking at an interim coach? (Viney? - if so whats the point?). If we do plan to bring in a new coach before seasons end then we will have to go through all the selection process again and that would take time and then the coach would want to change things at the club (gameplan etc.). I just can't see it happening unless we have already talked to possible coaches (Ratten etc.) then the bye would have to be the time to do it. But you have to ask yourself what would be better for the coach - to come in midway through a season or at seasons end where they can make changes and have more of a clean slate.

This is the last roll of the dice for Melbourne... so have to get it right

Edited by Young Dee

Healy is a goose.

Fancy leaving the Ultimatum for when we face power sides Hawthorn and Collingwood.

Bloody courageous statement from Healy..NOT !!. Although I saw him play with Melbourne and the Healy name was and is still associated with the Club I regarded him more as a Swan great because that's where he played his best football in my opinion. To me he is now just another sesationalizing football journalist and not a very good one at that. B)

• Like 2

Is there any chance that we will have a new coach before seasons end or are we just looking at an interim coach? (Viney? - if so whats the point?). If we do plan to bring in a new coach before seasons end then we will have to go through all the selection process again and that would take time and then the coach would want to change things at the club (gameplan etc.). I just can't see it happening unless we have already talked to possible coaches (Ratten etc.) then the bye would have to be the time to do it. But you have to ask yourself what would be better for the coach - to come in midway through a season or at seasons end where they can make changes and have more of a clean slate.

This is the last roll of the dice for Melbourne... so have to get it right

Young Dee I couldn't agree with you more , as to wether to come in Midway or end of Season , from my own Viewpoint I hope a coach would come in NOW .

My Logic for this is we are already a Basket Case , the positives a Coach could come to gain from starting now rather then end of year is this

He doesn't have to worry about this season and he would bare no blame for it .

He could afford to try different things and he would gain a better understanding of the players under match conditions.

If he was able to help them improve their performance before the end of the year It would be a absolute bonus .

It would give existing players some hope that maybe Melbourne is finally on the right path and they will take this into account when deciding their future .

Those players who are staying anyway would be able to look forward to the next year under this new coach who has helped them through the last part of their season and hopefully with their improvement

If nothing changes under the New coach he has every right then to start pointing Fingers because it will show that the players aren't up to it and the supporters would be able to now for sure that it wasn't the coaches fault especially if he was a coach with a proven track record

The only problem 'all though it be minor' I believe , is in finding that sort of a coach . :blink:

Couldn't agree more WJ and Soxy. This Healy was a Swan, more than a Demon.

I get the impression listening to his recent calls during Melbourne games, he has an agenda of his own. Can't quite put my finger on it. To me this article just reinforces my belief.

Maybe he thinks he can save the club ?

I also hope his brother is a loyal Demon.

I've changed the title to accommodate the fact that Gerard Healy never was, is or will be a Melbourne great.

He left the club for big coin from Sydney and was a part of the Sydney team that was humiliated by Melbourne in a semi final in 1987. That's how I like to remember him - a mercenary in a losing finals team.

He might have won a "Bluey" and might have been a Sydney "great" but he's done nothing to inspire a feeling in me that he was a great of our club and to use that adjective in relation to the person demeans our club.

He decided to [censored] off after being offered big money , doesn't that remind you of Tom Scully.

• Like 1

Sorry And who would make A difference in the next 2 weeks to our club. Let him coAch the season out. Seriously our brand is damaged not beyond repair, heads will roll but 4 christs sake it's just making it worse and it's more embarrassing if we cut a coach mid term

Let it go people's The players will lift am confident of that, just no more interstate games pleeAsaasse

• Like 2

He was a Demon great. We should have kept him. Did he fall out with the coach? I can't recall. He would have helped us in the 1988 Grand Final! By the way Northey was good but he built on foundations of culture, hardness, development and recruiting laid down by Barassi. Neeld is building on quicksand laid down by Schwab, Prendergast, Connolly, Bailey, McLardy. Neeld however is not the man for the job. We should have recruited Malthouse. Now we need to recruit an established coach with a proven track record. Who will the panel be though? There is nobody at the club who can make the right decision. Jackson left Essendon in tatters. They were supposed to be the power club for a decade after 2000 premiership.

• Like 1

Soxy, I couldn't give a toss how many posts I have made and how many you have made, I don't waste my time looking at that stuff.

Moloney leaving was one of the best things for this Club going forward. It showed that when a player dictates to the club how they are going to do things, and sulk if the club doesn't allow it, that sometimes you're better off pulling your head in, working your ass off and start doing what you are paid to do. The fact that only Brisbane wanted him should've been a big wake up call for the likes of Sylvia and Watts. You can't put on a public display of unprofessionalism, like what Moloney did last year, and expect the power clubs will want it. FWIW, I would make our midfield look poor at the moment, but that's just Beamer hey, star against poor sides. Good for him.

The players that are in danger of not being AFL standard don't have very good role models or mentors to help get that extra few % out of that might jkust make them AFL standard. I think you fix that first, then you worry about who can and can't play footy.

these posts are always based on the assumption that Moloney was sooking but what if he was just voicing the concerns of many players? The fact that brad green had to ask other players to buy in when he left and what rivers has said now leads me to the conclusion that few have bought in and he may have - as grant Thomas suggested - lost the players from the get go.

Moloney says he didn't believe in neeld as a coach. Hells gates and others have raised fundamental concerns about neeld's game day coaching ability.

this is a coach who moved Moloney out indirectly, ensuring Nathan Jones will always be tagged, added three newbies to the midfield and continues with McKenzie and then expresses surprise that we got smashed in the centre in round 1 to port.

I just think there is more to the Moloney rivers story than people sometimes suggest. Moloney was a diehard see after all and while he was woefully inconsistent, him being in the side would have sheltered and helped our young mids and drawn a tag away from Nathan Jones.

He was a Demon great. We should have kept him. Did he fall out with the coach? I can't recall. He would have helped us in the 1988 Grand Final! By the way Northey was good but he built on foundations of culture, hardness, development and recruiting laid down by Barassi. Neeld is building on quicksand laid down by Schwab, Prendergast, Connolly, Bailey, McLardy. Neeld however is not the man for the job. We should have recruited Malthouse. Now we need to recruit an established coach with a proven track record. Who will the panel be though? There is nobody at the club who can make the right decision. Jackson left Essendon in tatters. They were supposed to be the power club for a decade after 2000 premiership.

correct northey got some of the benefits laid down by barassi in the same way roos benefitted from the hard yards put in by rocket eade at the swans.

Edited by Norm Smith's Curse

Isn't this just great, the brother of the guy on our board responsible for the football department making big statements on our coach. Is this inside knowledge or his opinion?

It is unfair to Mark Neeld to judge him on the next two games, even if we are playing our best footy Fremantle, Hawthorn and Collingwood are 10 goal better teams. The fact we are playing bad footy makes these clubs 15 goal better teams, the fact that we have 5 starting 18 players out just adds to this.

Can Mark Neeld coach, no idea, will we ever find out no because he is in charge of the second rebuild, if this season was our second year of a rebuild Neeld would not be under this pressure, was Bailey in his second year, from memory we were 1 and 10 mid year and happy for our club to lose to get the priority pick on offer, the fact is we have lost patience to be 6 years into a rebuild and have a worse list than we started with is extremely upsetting. Is this Neelds fault no way, we got our drafting and trading so badly wrong since 2007. He has nothing, 1 AFL standard midfielder that is consistantly at AFL level, 1 only, how can any coach win games with 1 midfielder, unless Sylvia, Trengove, Viney, Toumpas, Blease, Grimes can lift there consistant out put to be AFL standard midfielders our team will continue to be smashed. We can't expect to much from Viney and Toumpas this year but the other 4 need to drive our midfield forward.

I don't want Mark Neeld sacked, I want to find out if he can coach and this won't happen till the back half of this year when we get Clark, Grimes, McDonald, Sylvia, Viney back in with hopefully a fully confident Blease and Toumpas, playing mainly against teams that will be bottom 8.

• Like 5

You nake some good points Dr. But Neeld is to inexperienced for this monumental task.

I do not blame him as he did not hire himself, but he is out of his league at the MFC.

We need the best of the best to give us a fighting chance.

50 years of neglect and sellfish quick decision making have us where we are.