Whats up with this womens draft? For a second there I thought we had drafted a female. So this is like a special female AFL with two teams?

Bit disappointed really I thought I could actually have something to look at when I go to the footy.

Thirty six young athletic women on the field is something to look at! [i think that it would be a better sight for my aging eyes than watching Melbourne has been this year!]

• Like 2

Who really gives a fat rats about this?? Really!

Our business should be all about stabilising our club ... and winning games!

Not with political points scoring! and social equity... as noble issues that they may well be!

How is promoting womens' football a case of "political point scoring and social equity"?? This is something the club committed to some time ago and as such should be followed through with. Finally it brings womens' AFL into focus with a wider audience, albeit for a brief moment, and will hopefully promote interest in the various womens' leagues around the country.

As well as performing well in the AFL, our business should also be about promoting the game and promoting health and fitness... the fact that our mens' team is a basket case at the moment should not detract from that and should not mean that this promotion should take a back seat.

And I think that you will find that apart from yourself and a couple of others on this board, most probably do give a "fat rats", or at the very least, don't object to it.

• Like 3

do they play in lingerie? Just asking...

Can we put her on the rookie list OR even in our midfield ???? Just asking also... lol

Why the F are we and the bulldogs worrying about this? We are on the bottom of the ladder ffs and we are putting resources into this.

Yes it is a good initative but not when we have a forecast loss of 1.5m and sitting on the bottom of the ladder.

Are these woman being payed by the club? Does anybody know the story with this on what the intentions are for? Is it just a one off game sideshow? Are contracts involved?

SOME women actually DO become Members.. Don't they ??? If she is being PAID by the club, what is wrong with that ???? We are paying bigger money for some players who are probably worth less than Daisy at the present time... Aren't we ??? :)

As I said on the other thread regarding women's AFL, I've had a fairly big involvement at a school and club level. At a time when we're all questioning the direction of our footy club it's easy to attack every new club-driven initiative that is brought to our attention. It's incredibly disappointing that 90% of the posts regarding female footy involve sexist jokes or question the thought processes of the club's decision makers at a time when I couldn't be more proud of the role the MFC is taking in promoting women and AFL.

It's really quite simple.

Women's AFL is clearly a minority sport. It's participation rates are low but steadily increasing. The top 10% of players are very very good but the overall standard is still quite poor. With improving pathways, national championships at senior and under 18 level girls are starting to get a more positive message that the sport they love is being taken seriously. Games like the Demons/Bulldogs curtain raiser are a huge boost to the profile of the sport and further incentive for girls already in the sport to continue and an incredibly important advertising tool in the bid to recruit more players.

Imagine the AFL with the top 10% of talent playing on the field with another 40% who would be VFL standard and then another 25% would would be average players in local bush leagues and then another 25% who've never played the game before. That's roughly the demographic of most female footy competitions across the country. Obviously the standard is impacted negatively. When you watch any Women's AFL I urge you to focus on the skills, ability, co-ordination and sheer talent of the top 10% to gain an insight into what is possible. When the existing pathways extend to having a week in week out national competition the quality will improve immensely.

I can assure you that the top 10% are just as hard with their attack on the footy and possess just as much talent and potential as their male counterparts. The girls I've coached over the years live for the game. Their passion for footy is enormous. They deserve greater recognition.

And on a side note, the Bulldogs will win sadly. And keep an eye out for a little Indigenous girl called Ally Anderson. I'm proud to say I introduced her to the game about 7 years ago and she simply doesn't stop running! She was kicking drop punts right and left foot from the age of 12 without any coaching at all when she put her hand up to play her first game for me. If only Melbourne had picked her!!

• Like 3

She kept talking about how good it was to be drafted at #1, nothing about how good it is to be drafted by the MFC

Should listen to her again.

She's a Carlton member who said she would be proud to wear the Red & Blue simply because of the support we have given to women's football.

Good enough for me.

• Like 3

Why the F are we and the bulldogs worrying about this? We are on the bottom of the ladder ffs and we are putting resources into this.

Yes it is a good initative but not when we have a forecast loss of 1.5m and sitting on the bottom of the ladder.

Are these woman being payed by the club? Does anybody know the story with this on what the intentions are for? Is it just a one off game sideshow? Are contracts involved?

I'm not quite sure whether I'm more shocked that you posted this or whether people liked it..

You realise we live in 2013 not in the 1920's it's important to include women in the AFL these days. What does sitting on the bottom of the ladder have to do with doing good initiatives. If you're not winning on the field you should be doing MORE initiatives.

Good on the club for bringing women into the club, if I was a 22 year old girl and would never get the chance to play AFL or at the top level purely because of my gender I'd be devastated. Melbourne and the Dogs have given these women one opportunity to play in true jumpers, with I imagine real umpires and a crowd that they've wanted their whole career.

Your last sentence is embarrassing and christ sake Oli you've written some crap over the years but this is a new low. Quite frankly give all of them a contract because my guess is they will try a **** load harder than the male equivalents at the moment.

• Like 4

How is promoting womens' football a case of "political point scoring and social equity"?? This is something the club committed to some time ago and as such should be followed through with. Finally it brings womens' AFL into focus with a wider audience, albeit for a brief moment, and will hopefully promote interest in the various womens' leagues around the country.

As well as performing well in the AFL, our business should also be about promoting the game and promoting health and fitness... the fact that our mens' team is a basket case at the moment should not detract from that and should not mean that this promotion should take a back seat.

And I think that you will find that apart from yourself and a couple of others on this board, most probably do give a "fat rats", or at the very least, don't object to it.

Happy to support this, but, BUT the piont still is, resources still have to go into this venture. Would be entirely happy if we were on top of the ladder , but we are not! Our first priority MUST be to get our football club back on an even keel, and worry about initiatives like these later!

Aaron Davey's sister is playing in the game to apparently

Alwyn ??? Maybe we could make a swap ??? Just saying :blink:

Happy to support this, but, BUT the piont still is, resources still have to go into this venture. Would be entirely happy if we were on top of the ladder , but we are not! Our first priority MUST be to get our football club back on an even keel, and worry about initiatives like these later!

It's an absolute drop in the ocean. Most here want the coach sacked and haven't flinched at the potential payout that we'll have to make there yet you're prepared to quibble over a few thousand dollars.

• Like 3

Our first priority IS to get back to an even keel, but it isn't the ONLY priority. We have an obligation to help promote and grow the game, that is why the AFL is trying to save our butts now when we probably deserve the euthanasia route. This helps to continue the long path of obliterating discrimination in our society as an added bonus.

• 3 weeks later...

http://teambus.com.au/~teambus/projects/84/project-info/?id1=84

This match is a great milestone for women's footy and as part of it, Melbourne are asking for people to sponsor one of the players - cost is $500 and I think it'd be great if we at Demonland got behind one of the girls by getting a few people together who are happy to sponsor.

Any takers?

Because the MFC should focus on the development of the game for both male and females this is a fantastic move.

The MFC has many paid employees (coaches) that are looking after the MFC main team and would not get that involved in this initiative, so there should be not issue there.

This is a great way for the MFC to become a truely family focused Club and be as awesome as it should be.

Go the DEES!