Suggestions of moving the Dee's to Tasmania

alias275

No one is saying we are. It's just some no name journo's suggestion.

But we seem to be the only club that gets constantly picked on. I just wish we can sort out the poor pathetic on field performances and push the attention onto someone else. for a change.

Not going to happen. The last time they merged/ relocated a club was Fitzroy and they had been undergoing financial troubles much worse than ours with a very small membership for decades. We clearly need to get our act together on the field but the current problems are manageable as we have dedicated members and a good core support of 19-20k at matches and about 30,000 members. Despite our horrible run of late we still have the support and the stadium to make a good go of things on our own without any need to merge or relocate. Any journo who says otherwise is attention seeking

If they are the areasons that it's "not going to happen", then I have less confidence now than before.

Firstly, Fitzroy did have financial problems that are a lot worse than ours. That said, it wasn't many years ago that we were over $5m in debt, and the man that changed that is no longer with us.

Secondly, if you really think a "good core support" amount of 19-20k at matches is financially viable, then you are horribly mistaken. I believe we lose money on games we host at the MCG with less than 25k crowd, hence why we rely so much on bigger crowds at games like the QB game. Playing games in front of 15k-20k at the MCG is a negative for the club. The only way they will increase those numbers is if we are a Top 4 side.

And finally, it's quite clear that we need to get out act together onfield. We are poor, and while I'm a believer that it can change overnight (like it appears to have with a team like Port), I've been saying that for the last 6 years.

It is expected that we will make a signifcant loss this year. If it's in the $1m ball park that was reported earlier, then the pressure will be right on our onfield performance to turn that around, and I'm just not sure if it will be an instant thing.

We are insignificant in the eyes of the football community. We dug this hole we are in, and no-one is too fussed if we get out or if we are buried, as we were the ones that put ourselves there. If onfield doesn't improve in the next 5 years (as I said in my original post), and let's face it, we can pump up our new draft picks to make ourselves sleep easier, but I'm concerned that our list is way off a handy team let alone one that could win a premiership. (nb. I said the same thing about Geelong in about 2005)...

• Like 1

Once we arrive as a permanent team it's North's and the Hawks who's sponsorship will dry up. They will leave when we arrive. It'll be part of the deal.

Please take this the best way possible:

You are talking out of your arse.

There is no impending move, there is no desire from the AFL, there is no way the Hawks are giving up $3m so easily.

There is nothing but you trying to scare folk.

• Like 1

Send the Saints!

There was a similar article by David Penberthy in the Murdoch rags 2 Saturdays back. Not sure who he is or who was behind the story but Tasmania cannot sustain a team in its own right.

Tasmania has a population of over 500,000.. What is the population of Geelong ?? Tas Government already spends between 20 and 30 million subsidizing Hawthorn and North Melbourne for only 6 games a year all up !!!! With the same help the AFL gives Gold Coast and GWS and other sponsorship and at least 30,000 members (minimum) Why would it not be sustainable ??? Your unsubstantiated "unsustainable" argument seems to be common in Tasmania , which is surprising to me. Tassie is just a poaching ground for mainland clubs.. Haven't enough room here to list all the current and past Great Tasmanian players... As a Tasmanian you should be more positive and supportive of our State...

• Like 1

I heard Mr Sheedy say yesterday that the AFL needs a third team in Sydney!

We could be the "Nth Sydney Demons"

It has a certain attraction

Wait until the Second team at least starts making it's mark, which seems a long way off !!! Sheedy's a comedian.... SOMETIMES.... He would have had his big tongue planted firmly in cheek..

Wait until the Second team at least starts making it's mark, which seems a long way off !!! Sheedy's a comedian.... SOMETIMES.... He would have had his big tongue planted firmly in cheek..

Hmm the NSD would look interesting in the fixture.

Fancy seeing the NSD vs WSG

looks a like a perscription a Mr Danks might arrange

staring at extinction, you mean? Not a good choice...

There is a strong "save the devils" campaign going on in Tassie at the moment... Appropriate name I would have thought ...lol

• Like 1

Really makes you wonder if the AFL is potentially appointing Paul Roos as our coach what else they might be up to.

Really makes you wonder if the AFL is potentially appointing Paul Roos as our coach what else they might be up to.

You can put your conspiracy theories away Demonfan.

There will be no Third sydney team this decade or probably the next.

Paul Roos will have no interest in coaching in the next couple of years let alone with the Dees.

The only danager to the MFc is if we continue to be irrelevant to the competition we may get amalgamated with GWS around the end of the decade.

• Like 1

You can put your conspiracy theories away Demonfan.

There will be no Third sydney team this decade or probably the next.

Paul Roos will have no interest in coaching in the next couple of years let alone with the Dees.

The only danager to the MFc is if we continue to be irrelevant to the competition we may get amalgamated with GWS around the end of the decade.

Haha just a brainstorm

• Like 1

Tasmania has a population of over 500,000.. What is the population of Geelong ?? Tas Government already spends between 20 and 30 million subsidizing Hawthorn and North Melbourne for only 6 games a year all up !!!! With the same help the AFL gives Gold Coast and GWS and other sponsorship and at least 30,000 members (minimum) Why would it not be sustainable ??? Your unsubstantiated "unsustainable" argument seems to be common in Tasmania , which is surprising to me. Tassie is just a poaching ground for mainland clubs.. Haven't enough room here to list all the current and past Great Tasmanian players... As a Tasmanian you should be more positive and supportive of our State...

When your government renewed the agreement with the Tassie Hawks you made your choice.

That decision, heavily lobbied for by the AFL and against by the PR team for the Tassie bid was the bullet that killed any chance of Tassie getting a team.

Hawthorn are entrenched now, NM are moving into Hobart.

It's done.

Try again in 20 years is the unofficial word from the PR people in charge of the Tassie bid.

As a Tasmanian footy fanatic, a Tasmanian footy team would get secondary support from me at best. MFC is the team that I barrack for and I can't imagine that changing; and most of the people I know who follow footy have their allegiances well and truly branded in.

Hawthorn and North have brought footy back to the state. A few games here and there from these clubs is all the market here warrants, IMO.

Edited by Nasher
Forum destroyed my formatting somehow

I don't know if you've noticed, soxy, but Tasmania as an entire state is a *bit* more sparse than Geelong the city. Looking at the population of Hobart would be much more relevant.

Hawthorn are already there , get off the plane and its hawthorn everywhere . North will have allot if trouble taking the market over

Hawthorn are already there , get off the plane and its hawthorn everywhere . North will have allot if trouble taking the market over

I don't think so Mark - Hawthorn play all their games in Launceston. Hobart is (obviously) the capital of Tasmania, and people from Hobart don't want to go to Launceston unless they're fanatical Hawthorn supporters. North play their games in Hobart and will get [and have been getting] plenty of support from the neutrals, and North has a decent following here anyway. I think it's a good growth strategy for them.

• Like 1

I don't think so Mark - Hawthorn play all their games in Launceston. Hobart is (obviously) the capital of Tasmania, and people from Hobart don't want to go to Launceston unless they're fanatical Hawthorn supporters. North play their games in Hobart and will get [and have been getting] plenty of support from the neutrals, and North has a decent following here anyway. I think it's a good growth strategy for them.

true re hobart v Launceston but I love giving it to my hawthorn mates that they are moving there !

they do play 4 games there still ? and north 2 ?