• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Time to go Mark Neeld

Grand New Flag

Josh Mahoney, Leigh Brown both played in flags as did Byrnes and Dawes. What's the point?

Dawes and Byrnes are still playing, Brown and Mahoney were just players lucky enough to end up playing in a grand final and a bonus to win a premiership with their respective sides. Nearly all the quality coaches have been quality players in their day!

• Like 1

gnf

nobody is picking on you ,i also dont get any confidence from the coach and dont like his demeanor

but being involved from top to bottom at local club level for over 30 years ive learnt a few things about sacking coaches and backstabbing them.

but as much as we might dislike somebody we learn to deal in cold hard facts

having an opinion on the current coach is fine and thats what makes your passion for our club admirable

hope you enjoy the weekend , as im looking to see who matches up on birchall

• Like 1

gnf

nobody is picking on you ,i also dont get any confidence from the coach and dont like his demeanor

but being involved from top to bottom at local club level for over 30 years ive learnt a few things about sacking coaches and backstabbing them.

but as much as we might dislike somebody we learn to deal in cold hard facts

having an opinion on the current coach is fine and thats what makes your passion for our club admirable

hope you enjoy the weekend , as im looking to see who matches up on birchall

Thanks Jazza, I am not offended by anyone. I just love my club and I can see the end of it, I will do anything to attempt to get this club off the path that I see leads to extinction. I feel very strongly that we are making death tempting mistakes holding Neeld, I cant see any blue sky with Neeld, I only see further disaster. I hope I am wrong, but I have a history of reading these sort of things correctly. Obviously all are free to agree or disagree.

Go Dees, I will be at the game, nothing would make me happier than a truly competitive performance............. but I cant see this happening. When I say competitive I mean a less than 5 goal loss. Saying a 12 goals loss is a pass mark is disgraceful and makes me want to puke. That such talk comes from within the club, from within the coaching group simply further confirms to me that Neeld must go.

• Like 1

David King is stating the bleeding obvious. The hiring of Neeld as I have said since round 5, last year is the single biggest error this club has made since the dismissal of Norm Smith. The evidence for this is overwhelming. He continues to do untold damage, he may not have started the rot but he has brought this club to its knees.

On Monday our board meets, it is my view that the board have no choice but to dismiss Neeld.

It is true we are now in a no win situation. Due to our quickly deteriorating financial position which is a direct result of our appalling on-field performances since Neeld became coach, the cost of dismissing him will be a parting, painful, sting and final insult. It will put Melbourne deep into the red. However, let me make this very clear, the cost of maintaining him will be 10 fold that of paying out his contract.

In just 18 months under Neeld our club has gone from an exciting up and coming team, a club with no debt, a club with an expanding supporter base and genuine belief in future success, a club on the up. It is now a club that is the embarrassment of the league, a team that is measured against the worst teams in AFL/VFL history, a team that plays without spirit, confidence or self belief, a club battling to stay solvent with rapidly increasing debt, a club that is battling for its very survival.

Neeld must be dismissed ASAP so as we can start to heal, so a new coach with a modern game plan that suits the strengths and weakness of our list, who can install self belief and confidence can be appointed. At this point just about any stand in coach that can motivate and create confidence would be a massive improvement.

Failure to remove Neeld will result in the loss of a significant number of quality players come season end and this could be a nail in the coffin of our once great club. Changing coaches now may not save us but at least it gives us some hope, some chance of holding oour players, some chance of survival.

I simply cannot understand those on hear who come out in support of Neeld....... it is too illogical for me....... I don't get it. Are these people actually watching what is going on both on and off the field?

I am sure the board are aware of their fiduciary duties to the club and its members. I cannot see how they have any choice but to dismiss Neeld.

I hope that this tread can die with the imminent dismissal of Neeld and that we can once again start to look forward rather than back on what has been an complete and absolute disaster,

I again call on the board to uphold its fiduciary duty and dismiss Neeld. Not doing so could well be considered in a court as negligent.

Absolutely

What? You mean the reports from the media department of our club. What else are they going to say. These reports mean nothing, they are propaganda.

Reread my post perhaps? Nothing to do with anyone in the club, I was referring to the common and garden supporters who post here, and who've spoken to the players, coaches etc.

On the other hand, rather than just dismissing everything contrary to your views, why not present the evidence to support your sweeping claims that the atmosphere is toxic and everyone wants out? You've certainly been asked to do so enough times.

Really? Where is this flood? I know my 11 year old son berates me for threatening to give up... I get the feeling these parents you talk of (if they exist - I haven't noticed too many) are projecting their own emotional state onto their children.

All of my kids- the youngest is 21, and all of my grandchildren no longer support thid club and I'm a 58 year member. Two are no longer interested in afl. The rest follow other teams, but only one of them is passionate. That's 9 potential members who couldn't take watching losses any more

• Like 1

All of my kids- the youngest is 21, and all of my grandchildren no longer support thid club and I'm a 58 year member. Two are no longer interested in afl. The rest follow other teams, but only one of them is passionate. That's 9 potential members who couldn't take watching losses any more

Pitty your kids arent young enough to force them like mine are angrydee!!

Cant say you didnt try.

I'd personally like to see what Neeld can do next year... wheather he last last long will be the biggest factor. Either way the list will be in better shape than he got it. Fitness and skill wise... but who knows in regards to effort (considering currently under Neeld and previously under Bailey).

If we are a better off skills wise, I must be watching the wrong team.

Fitness wise, to what extent Neeld deserves credit for Misson's work I can't say, but on the face of it, match day fitness has not improved.

Sure, we may be better off in these areas after another year, but with another years' experience under the belt, you'd damn well hope to see improvement.

I'd be more willing to place a club in our position in the hands of Neeld, for another 18 months, if I could see some improvement on match day when it counts. Words are fine. Actions matter, and I'm not seeing it. I'm seeing steep decline with little sign of it turning around. The pass mark of keeping margins under 10 goals are nothing short of humiliating for everyone associated.

Some of the moves Neeld has made deserve acknowledgement. Matt Jones and Dean Terlich are success stories, and the majority of the names he has culled from the list, I agreed with. But his take no prisoners approach has taken us so much further backwards than was necessary and it has to be stopped. He, seemingly, is unable to stop it. I'll feel alot more confident and hopeful having an accomplished senior coach guiding this group from here.

• Like 3

If we are a better off skills wise, I must be watching the wrong team.

Fitness wise, to what extent Neeld deserves credit for Misson's work I can't say, but on the face of it, match day fitness has not improved.

Sure, we may be better off in these areas after another year, but with another years' experience under the belt, you'd damn well hope to see improvement.

I'd be more willing to place a club in our position in the hands of Neeld, for another 18 months, if I could see some improvement on match day when it counts. Words are fine. Actions matter, and I'm not seeing it. I'm seeing steep decline with little sign of it turning around. The pass mark of keeping margins under 10 goals are nothing short of humiliating for everyone associated.

Some of the moves Neeld has made deserve acknowledgement. Matt Jones and Dean Terlich are success stories, and the majority of the names he has culled from the list, I agreed with. But his take no prisoners approach has taken us so much further backwards than was necessary and it has to be stopped. He, seemingly, is unable to stop it. I'll feel alot more confident and hopeful having an accomplished senior coach guiding this group from here.

Skill wise Jones, Garland, ect. have improved.

Other players like Magner, Mackensie ect. arent up to AFL standard, and to be honest havent and will never be.

Either way you look at it (pro or anti Neeld), it's unanimous that on field performance does have to increase. To the degree or priority will be disputed, but it does. I'm all for the long-term but that isnt a licence to accept performances like this.

I understand alot of Neeld's game strategy is shaped around fitness and skills (ie, zoning), but doesn't mean he cant think outside of the box and adopt a Sydney strategy (drop forwards into the midfield and flood it), and to tackle the biggest issue with this group - effort.

Re seniors approach. I'm still trying to sort out the bs and the facts. I know Rivers left to play finals, not a reflection of Neeld. Moloney left because in some way he was burnt, that is a reflection of Neeld and Moloney.

Josh Mahoney, Leigh Brown both played in flags as did Byrnes and Dawes. What's the point?

I'm not saying I agree with the post you refer to, but the point was that the senior coach comes from a winning culture. Not an assistant coach and two players. It is the senior coach that sets the tone throughout the playing group. I'm not sure I agree with the insinuation that you cannot win a flag without it, but it probably doesn't hurt.

May be he can be our next coach.

If it was not for his experince at being a senior coach our board would have loved him to be here.

Another article in the HS today, journos must love this stuff.

www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/top-jobs-at-melbourne-up-in-the-air/

(Sorry don't know how to show the link properly)

This caught my eye:

"Newly-appointed board member Geoff Freeman has emerged as a key player in the remaking of the club.

Freeman, 65, an insurance industry heavyweight, joined the board last month after encouragement from president Don McLardy.

Freeman is a neighbour of AFL Commission chairman Mike Fitzpatrick and a close friend of former Geelong president Frank Costa, who helped transform the Cats.

Despite a recent health scare, he could replace McLardy as president before the end of the season".

We all new he was appointed at the request of McLardy and will most likely takeover his posi but I didn't know is that he is a close friend of Frank Costa.

I think Monday will be a HUGE day for the club and us long suffering supporters.

Change is a coming.

Edited by DemonOX

Another article in the HS today, journos must love this stuff.

www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/top-jobs-at-melbourne-up-in-the-air/

(Sorry don't know how to show the link properly)

This caught my eye:

"Newly-appointed board member Geoff Freeman has emerged as a key player in the remaking of the club.

Freeman, 65, an insurance industry heavyweight, joined the board last month after encouragement from president Don McLardy.

Freeman is a neighbour of AFL Commission chairman Mike Fitzpatrick and a close friend of former Geelong president Frank Costa, who helped transform the Cats.

Despite a recent health scare, he could replace McLardy as president before the end of the season".

We all new he was appointed at the request of McLardy and will most likely takeover his posi but I didn't know is that he is a close friend of Frank Costa.

I think Monday will be a HUGE day for the club and us long suffering supporters.

Change is a coming.

Please don't get my hopes up.

The hear there a good chance for both a new President and Coach, I must be dreaming!

Well I may as well go for broke here, anyone see a Premiership victory within the next 20 years after looking in their crystal ball?

At this stage I would simple settle for over 11 wines in the home and away rounds as I do support the MFC after all, it seems any of its other supporters appears to have settled for coming second each week these days. Personally I believe winner takes all and being second to none is the best way forward. Simple goals (KPI) is best for any new coach ect. as after MN in the coaching role it appears that keeping thing simple is the best policy.

I guess it's time for Voss to go as well. His team just isn't putting in any effort. Game was over by Quarter time.

Voss could be gone by years end mate. Being a club legend has helped him keep his job so far, but they are still playing more poor games than good.

Please don't get my hopes up.

The hear there a good chance for both a new President and Coach, I must be dreaming!

Well I may as well go for broke here, anyone see a Premiership victory within the next 20 years after looking in their crystal ball?

At this stage I would simple settle for over 11 wines in the home and away rounds as I do support the MFC after all, it seems any of its other supporters appears to have settled for coming second each week these days. Personally I believe winner takes all and being second to none is the best way forward. Simple goals (KPI) is best for any new coach ect. as after MN in the coaching role it appears that keeping thing simple is the best policy.

Is that 11 wines per game mate?:) We are all searching for ways to numb the pain:)

Is that 11 wines per game mate? :) We are all searching for ways to numb the pain:)

It because I actually care!

Skill wise Jones, Garland, ect. have improved.

Other players like Magner, Mackensie ect. arent up to AFL standard, and to be honest havent and will never be.

Either way you look at it (pro or anti Neeld), it's unanimous that on field performance does have to increase. To the degree or priority will be disputed, but it does. I'm all for the long-term but that isnt a licence to accept performances like this.

I understand alot of Neeld's game strategy is shaped around fitness and skills (ie, zoning), but doesn't mean he cant think outside of the box and adopt a Sydney strategy (drop forwards into the midfield and flood it), and to tackle the biggest issue with this group - effort.

Re seniors approach. I'm still trying to sort out the bs and the facts. I know Rivers left to play finals, not a reflection of Neeld. Moloney left because in some way he was burnt, that is a reflection of Neeld and Moloney.

My understanding of 'skills' is that the term applies to the players' ability in kicking, handballing, choosing the correct option and reading the play. 'Fitness' is similar - continuous sprint ability is essential, endurance is expected of any player.

The ability to follow a game plan is a separate issue - skills and fitness go with the player to any club whereas game plan has to be learned for the specific club.

It's ground hog day!

Another day another article this time from Crawf. HS- Neeld must exit - Crawf

This is something from an ex players perspective that is very interesting.

"I fell out of love with Hawthorn, too, there for a while and looked at leaving. But the club made changes - and while I didn't initially support them all - they changed the mindset of people at the club.

"That's why Melbourne needs to make the change now and chase the best and most experienced coach it can find."

Wonder if the dees players feel the same.

Edited by DemonOX
  • Like 1

"I fell out of love with Hawthorn, too, there for a while and looked at leaving. But the club made changes - and while I didn't initially support them all - they changed the mindset of people at the club.

"That's why Melbourne needs to make the change now and chase the best and most experienced coach it can find."

Wonder if the dees players feel the same.

nah...they're all happy losing by 100 points every week, getting laughed at in the media and finishing on the bottom. They're close knit ..on purpose...and all hoping to be one club players. Dont mean to be sarcastic but crawf is SO right in this. Without much hope on match day or trust in the coach and his direction how could anyone enjoy playing for us. And I dont care what the players say about Neeld in the media...when you lose by the margins we are, week after week (for the 2nd year in a row), then theres no way players would be filled with the grand vision of the future. Nor should they be.

Bush had a grand vision for Iraq too.

Edited by Wells 11
  • Like 2

I am not a big poster on here and rarely respond to these types of threads but I have it on good authority (cannot reveal source) that MN will be sacked on Monday and replaced by an assistant coach likely to be Jade Rawlings. I can understand why we are all polarised as it is a lose-lose situation for us.

If we keep him, players and supporters lose hope . Sponsors and players leave the club. Media continue to trash us and supporters fail to show up at games.

If we sack him, it shows no loyalty and will scare future coaches. More importantly it will cost us so much money. Players who do support MN and it is obvious there are many ( I remember Colin Garland hugging MN after the Essendon win last year) will be further disenchanted with the club.

No matter if what I heard eventuates or not, it is a few more years of pain. Lets just get behind the club and attend every week we can. The club needs us and my 12 yr old loves the club as much as I do although he would like to see us win a few more games.

As an aside, the fact I have heard what is going to happen upsets me most of all as it shows poor management at an executive level. Such things must be kept behind closed doors. I will be relieved if I am wrong about Monday. It will mean the board can keep things hush and it is likely to mean a good showing by the players today .

• Like 5

If we sack him, it only shows we do not tolerate incompetence.

Why would the caretaker coach be Rawlings and not Craig?

Why do people think we can't turn this around within 1 year. Our guys can play footy. We have a very competent spine and are a good midfielder short of an acceptable midfield.

If trengove can get back to his best, Sylvia steps up, grimes entrenches himself as centreman, the 2 jones boys keep performing, mckenzie rediscovers his good form, viney, toumpas, Kent, jetta, tapscott, magner and Howe can all add depth.

Our team is not too bad.

I believe a 12 month turnaround should be our objective. Aim for finals 2015.

Anything less represents a loser mentality.

• Like 1