Aaron Davey - the future?

jumbo returns

Surprised his still on the list. I think would've been worthwhile hanging onto a Petterd, Bennell or god forbid, even a Morton for another season instead.

Gysberts was in this morning's paper (in an article on the Bulldogs) with a comment of how much he had bulked up since the beginning of this year.

All I've heard and seen at training (aside from the intra) has been extremely positive in regards to Flash, so I find it a bit strange that there's so much negativity all of a sudden.

He's had a lean couple of years, but he's been a great player for us and has done more for our club than most would realize. Let's remember some of the poor exits of the past and give the guy one more chance, he's more than earned it.

Don't forget he also brings much needed experience, you only need to look at who we went after in the trade/draft period to see we have placed a high premium on that quality, and not all of those players are automatic best 22 either.

It's most likely his last year, let the guy play.

Stuie you're ( note not your) getting into other posters for being negative about Davey, yet you blithely announce that "It's most likely his last year". What is the source of this sublime insight?

Stuie you're ( note not your) getting into other posters for being negative about Davey, yet you blithely announce that "It's most likely his last year". What is the source of this sublime insight?

It's the last year of his contract, his form has been ordinary the last couple of years, he's 30 in a few months. I love the guy, but being realistic it's likely his last year based on those factors. I don't think that's being negative at all.

Assuming you understand the difference between "likely" and "foregone conclusion" seeing YOU'RE wielding superiority through grammar.

Edited by stuie

He'll find it hard to make an impact.

He will always cop a hard tag, regardless of his form.

Judging by training etc I'm guessing he may play a defensive forward role this year, so Flash might be the one doing more of the tagging. IMO a role like that gives him the most chance to show something.

Judging by training etc I'm guessing he may play a defensive forward role this year, so Flash might be the one doing more of the tagging. IMO a role like that gives him the most chance to show something.

I haven't been to any training sessions (relying on reports and your observations, stuie) but, at the end of the day, he'll need to kick 2 - 3 goals per match to keep his spot in the team.

I don't think it'll happen.

I haven't been to any training sessions (relying on reports and your observations, stuie) but, at the end of the day, he'll need to kick 2 - 3 goals per match to keep his spot in the team.

I don't think it'll happen.

I disagree. If he can provide forward pressure and help keep the ball inside 50 I think the goals will be left up to Clark, Dawes, Howe, Byrnes, Blease, Sylvia etc. It's only my hunch so don't take it as gospel, but Neeld is pretty strong on defence and trying new roles for players so could be a go.

• Like 1

It's the last year of his contract, his form has been ordinary the last couple of years, he's 30 in a few months. I love the guy, but being realistic it's likely his last year based on those factors. I don't think that's being negative at all.

Assuming you understand the difference between "likely" and "foregone conclusion" seeing YOU'RE wielding superiority through grammar.

It isunt just the grammar.

At 30 I know that Flash cant perform as he did when younger. But hope he can still perform a role when required.

I reckon there are plenty of players who can substitute for another on the list.

I hope we can use this as a competitive incentive to get the best out of players .

It may also be that a player can peak one week or against a certain opponent or in a specific structure and so may not suit the next week opponent.

I am really waiting to see how Flash and the whole squad go

Really enjoying the training reports and the opinions that all DLanders provide

Just back old mate, so a point or two.

You base your rebuttal on three “factors” – “form”, “contact”

and “age”.

Yes his form has been poor but form it is not immutable and given his improved fitness,new coach etc, and good summer training it is possible (not certain) that it will to some extent return.

A positive view would be that that Davey has a good chance of finding some of this elusive quality.

His age is closing on 30 but so far as I am aware that number does not have a magical quality in itself and many players finish prior to attaining it just as many play on beyond that age. In those latter cases form is more relevant than chronology.

Yes he is in the last year of his contract but, as I understand it contracts can be renegotiated or renewed, generally depending again, on form.

I would argue then that it really comes down to form and as there have been a number of positive training reports about him and, unless you have a working crystal ball,I hold to my previous conclusion that your view is negative rather than “realistic”.

Especially in view of the fact that you claim to “love the guy”.

• Like 2

What about Davey as sub option? Has the skills to spot up a forward, still has pace (not what it once was obviously) and could provide some real energy in the forward line in the latter stages of a game.

The sub seems to be more a week to week thing. No one player can alleged be the sub. Considered to lose match fitness

You don't want one individual losing match fitness then being part of the starting 21. However if your designated sub isn't planned on breaking into the team it's not such a bad option. Admitting Davey's knee +\- work rate has permanently derailed his ability to play full games you could use him only as a sub. Then drop him back to the Vfl once a month to play a full game and keep the skills sharp.

We need to see how Davey goes in the nab cup. A few decent performances and he'll change straight away to best 22 vital player. I hope you can flash!