Why do we need an outside centre who can run and present and deliver?

red and blue forever

there is much debate on her that we need a player that is an outside centre who can run and present and deliver. so the toumpas and wines debates carry on.

my question is, why are we in such a need for it? why does no-one see that in the future that will be Jacks Watts role, which he will do sensationally.?

Ok he will play down back to begin with next year, But Watts will play on the wing as soon as mid way thru the season and he'll be a superstar at it. sellar, mc donald,(CHB) garland, frawley,Dunn are all the backline need in terms of bigs. Watts will pinch hit but mostly play centre. If they don't play him there then they need to take a long hard look at themselves.

• Like 1

We need more than Watts playing this role (if infact he plays this role). Why not have two wingman with speed, ball winning ability, good run and spread delivering forward. In fact lets take it further and ask for the flankers and midfielders to have this ability too.

FWIW I think Trengove can play a good balance of both inside and outside play. He was under alot of off field work load in 2012 that hindered his effect on field. Misson will program a more rounded training regime allowing him to play on a wing and centre square. Training seemed to focus on building a base during the 2011/2012 period, now its time to build pace to add to the base.

I believe Jones had the base prior to Misson coming on board therefore he excelled as a midfielder. Other players like Trengove, Grimes, McKenzie etc will excel in 2102 as a result too.

Watts will benefit too

Is the question posed by the tread title actually meant to be serious?

possibly unintentionally rhetorical

there is much debate on her that we need a player that is an outside centre who can run and present and deliver. so the toumpas and wines debates carry on.

my question is, why are we in such a need for it? why does no-one see that in the future that will be Jacks Watts role, which he will do sensationally.?

Ok he will play down back to begin with next year, But Watts will play on the wing as soon as mid way thru the season and he'll be a superstar at it. sellar, mc donald,(CHB) garland, frawley,Dunn are all the backline need in terms of bigs. Watts will pinch hit but mostly play centre. If they don't play him there then they need to take a long hard look at themselves.

Are you Mark Neeld? Otherwise there's a lot of assumptions in your comments.

In fact, Neeld himself has said that Watts will be a fixture in the back line in 2013. I'll believe him.

Take the best available at pick 4. If Toumpas is there, I believe it will be him. And he is exactly what we need to balance J Viney, Jones, Magner, Trengove, Grimes, etc. Toumpas is all class and too good to pass up on. We've shot ourselves in the draft foot too many times in the past few years.

Best available.

• Like 1

Is the question posed by the tread title actually meant to be serious?

I know that is a position needed in any good team, my contension is the view we currently have no-one to fill that role, and we desperatly need to fill that need with pick 4

my argument is we have that player in watts, and what we look for in the draft does not necessarially need to be a outside centre.

I know that is a position needed in any good team, my contension is the view we currently have no-one to fill that role, and we desperatly need to fill that need with pick 4

my argument is we have that player in watts, and what we look for in the draft does not necessarially need to be a outside centre.

Mine was an attempt at an ironical response to your question.

I believe Jones had the base prior to Misson coming on board therefore he excelled as a midfielder. Other players like Trengove, Grimes, McKenzie etc will excel in 2102 as a result too.

As a Melbourne supporter I consider myself a patient guy, but that's getting a bit extreme.

• Like 2

we have blease and watts isnt too much of a sprinter, more glides and rarely hits top pace

Need toumpas desperately, we were horrid at spread last year

McK, Jones, Viney, Trenners, Magner all inside mids

Every side needs pace like Young, Hill, Wellingham Jetta, etc - more valuable than u think in this game of structures

As a Melbourne supporter I consider myself a patient guy, but that's getting a bit extreme.

Whats extreme about the club being on a path that will reach 'Elite' fitness. Jones was a fitness freak before arriving to the club. Add to that many years of pre seasons of course he had the fitness level when Misson got to the club. Trengove is still young and is working towards an elite level. He has natural endurance and pace and I believe Misson is working on a path to Elite fitness and pace with Trengove, McKenzie (who has yet to complete a pre-season until this year) and Grimes etc. Grimes injuries are well documented.

You say you are patient, but have little confidence in our midfield when Misson has had 12 months, add to that 3 weeks to get the players up to speed. It will take longer and I believe the club when they say they have been on a high training load throughout the season. We were slow last season as a result.

I ve read too much crap (now including from you). When Bailey was at the helm we were considered are fast and dynamic team. Do you honestly believe that our pace somehow got lost now Morton (known for his endurance), Cook and Gysberts has left the club. I'll add Scully to that too. He was an endurance player.

I can only assume that you are cant look past 2012. Geez, Frawley is a very fast KPP. People tend to forget that both Frawley and Garland have the pace to shut down small to medium forwards.

I'm hopeful

• Like 1

Jones may have been a fitness freak before he arrived at the Club but you wouldn't know it. In the first year at Melbourne he seemed to have no pace and rarely tackled and I wanted the Club to get rid of him. Now he is one of our hardest and most effective players, (not due to Misson) and he is one of our best 22, notwithstanding who we recruit into the mix.

Whilst we didnt win enough contested footy last year compared to other teams, the actual amount of contested footy we won as a percentage of our possessions was way too high. It was highlighted many times that we had too many on top of the contest and if we did get it our run and spread just wasn't there.

I believe Toumpas from the little I have read can get his own ball AND run and spread - isnt that the best of both worlds ?

I don't have the energy.

Sorry B-H, I just don't take much notice of what you write lately. Its that Avatar, sorry but I think I'm in love with her. No wonder you don't have the energy.

Edited by It's Time
  • Like 1

Whats extreme about the club being on a path that will reach 'Elite' fitness. Jones was a fitness freak before arriving to the club. Add to that many years of pre seasons of course he had the fitness level when Misson got to the club. Trengove is still young and is working towards an elite level. He has natural endurance and pace and I believe Misson is working on a path to Elite fitness and pace with Trengove, McKenzie (who has yet to complete a pre-season until this year) and Grimes etc. Grimes injuries are well documented.

You say you are patient, but have little confidence in our midfield when Misson has had 12 months, add to that 3 weeks to get the players up to speed. It will take longer and I believe the club when they say they have been on a high training load throughout the season. We were slow last season as a result.

I ve read too much crap (now including from you). When Bailey was at the helm we were considered are fast and dynamic team. Do you honestly believe that our pace somehow got lost now Morton (known for his endurance), Cook and Gysberts has left the club. I'll add Scully to that too. He was an endurance player.

I can only assume that you are cant look past 2012. Geez, Frawley is a very fast KPP. People tend to forget that both Frawley and Garland have the pace to shut down small to medium forwards.

I'm hopeful

ah you do realise the date in your earlier post read 2102