Finals 2013

Deemachine

with our fwd line seemingly set up for many years to come i think we will improve immensly! last season our only tall fwd was clark and whenever it was kicked to him he was often double teamed, and he still did remarkably well. When he went down injured we had to rely on Rivers and garland in thw fwd line, and they're not exactly what you would call seasoned fwds although they did do well considering they're defenders. With dawes and Pedersen in their for next season, having 3 talls should stretch most if not all defences and it will give Clark, as well as the other 2 a chance to fight 1 on 1 instead of 2 on 1. Once Hogan comes in and gets some experience at the top level, i feel we will have the most dangerous fwd line in the comp! I can't think of any defence that could withstand 4 tall, strong fwds in the one side!

We have also recruited Brynes, Rodan and barry who will bring in desperately needed pace to our side which we have lacked for many years. These 3 will also be able to fill the hole in the fwd line of small, nippy guys. They would be able to do this as they, presumably switch between the fwdline and midfield.

Viney will also add some much needed grunt to our midfield as will pick 4 (hopefully wines). There is still the PSD to come too as well as the delisted player free agency thing and we can still add another load of players to move us up the ladder.

The number of players that we will have brought in by the end will be HUGE and it may take a full season together for them to gel, but imagine if it was to have already happened by the time the season starts! We should be in for a very exciting 2013; the top 8 would be fantastic and would certainly keep a few haters quiet (CW). With all that being said i don't think we will quite make the 8, but i'd say 9-12 is definitely achievable if things gel nicely and that would mean about 8-12 wins :) if not we should definitely still have a better season than this as we have cleared out al lot of the list cloggers who are no longer needed.

GO DEES :lol:

edit: we also need improvement from key players we already have such as trengove, sylvia (largely consistency), blease (endurance) and a range of others.

Edited by young dee enthusiast
  • Like 1

I am well aware of the saying re 'long bows'.

My reply to you was a metaphor implying that a repeat is a distinct possibility.

All you have to do is compare MFC today to this time last year.

BTW

You also implied that I am a youngster or uneducated.

I can remember black outs in the 2nd WW and started barracking for the Dees in 1947. So I guess that means the other; and

that is a matter of opinion. It could be the difference between having the ability to read or not.

Well skills 32 I certainly did not mean the insult you.

My apologies.

I must have misunderstood your comment.

Again sorry

Still think a modest increase is the best we can expect

However I am happy for you to point out to me at the end of August how wrong I was.

Well skills 32 I certainly did not mean the insult you.

My apologies.

I must have misunderstood your comment.

Again sorry

Still think a modest increase is the best we can expect

However I am happy for you to point out to me at the end of August how wrong I was.

Apologies accepted Old Dee.

Money where the mouth is.

Six pack of Crownies says we play finals in 2013.

I just can't foresee it, unfortunately. Had we had a similar fixture (12/14 to start at the G) a couple of years ago I'd say we'd a shoe in, but our form at the G this year really hit an all time low. Add to the fact that we haven't won in Round 1 for an eternity, and losing in Round 1 to an interstate team last season certainly shook us up for a long period. I'd be surprised if I turn up to the Port Adelaide match and not see Melbourne errors. I'm just really glad that we'll look like a new team more than ever this year, so at least I hope we make different mistakes

I'm in the serious belief that the Dees could have a spot in the finals next year.

In the season just gone, I watched in disbelief in many games as our defenders and midfield worked hard

To get the ball to our forward 50 only for it to be rebounded out again and again. This was particularly evident after Mitch got injured. In picking up Dawes, Pederson, Byrnes and Rodan I Can't see our attack falling down at half forward anymore. Especially with Viney and Wines (hopefully ) joining the midfield and our draw (GWS and GC both twice) I am very excited about 2013.

Am I justified in this thinking or am I an over enthusiastic optimist?

way over the top, l hope to win 6-8 and that will be it at the most

I just can't foresee it, unfortunately. Had we had a similar fixture (12/14 to start at the G) a couple of years ago I'd say we'd a shoe in, but our form at the G this year really hit an all time low. Add to the fact that we haven't won in Round 1 for an eternity, and losing in Round 1 to an interstate team last season certainly shook us up for a long period. I'd be surprised if I turn up to the Port Adelaide match and not see Melbourne errors. I'm just really glad that we'll look like a new team more than ever this year, so at least I hope we make different mistakes

Not to mention, after the debacle that was their end-of-season, Port (new coach, new fitness guru, new players etc. etc.) will be keen. Let's not forget that they were more than respectable for the first half of this year.

Hopefully a win for the Dees, though I think it's going to depend on the stars aligning over the off-season, especially in regards to injuries. If Clark isn't back, and we lose the likes of Sylvia and/or Frawley, could be a bit of an ask.

Consider the areas of improvement that should occur. I don't know if it's enough to make the finals but .......... who knows?

Firstly, Neeld's game plan will begin to gel and become more natural to the players. All of the "structures" and set plays will be more instinctive.

Second, they will come off a much better preseason fitness base which will mean it is more likely that they will be able to implement the plan.

Third, the backline has already proven itself to be pretty reasonable and will only get better as players like McDonald, Nicholson and Strauss (I'm yet to convinced about this guy) gain experience. If Watts is given permission to stay in the the defence for 2013 then he should cover for the loss of rivers. I think Dunn has also been a great success. He can play this role very effectively.

Fourth, ruck stocks are better. Jamar, Spencer, Gawn, Fitz, Pederson and Clark is a good mix of experience and potential, providing they all stay healthy.

Fifth, the midfield will be stronger. Moloney was running on three cylinders this year so was a wasted mid o a certain extent. Jones is in career best form and can still improve. Trengove is hopefully over what was slowing him down and will make incremental improvement. If his execution can match his work rate he will be better. Grimes has been good and will improve as he learns the mid role. I don't expect Viney and Wines to have quite the impact that people are assuming. Both are still young and inexperienced. Viney has not played that much footy in 2012. i think both will play regularly but expect them to peter out a little as the season goes on. Taggert and Tynam should get some games. Both appear to be real goers but again are coming off significant injuries. Bail, Sylvia, McKenzie and Howe will all spend time in the midfield mix as well. Overall I think there will be a net gain. Hopefully a substantial one

Sixth, Pace. We have been lacking both inside and outside pace. Blease, Bail and Nicholson have been quickest line breakers. The inclusion of Byrnes and Rodan (if he stays upright) will add to this. Also as the game plan becomes more intrenched the ball movement will improve and it will look like we are quicker.

Seventh, The inclusion of Dawes and Pederson will change the way we bring the ball into the foward fifty. Pederson is actually a very mobile tall and uses the ball really well. I hope that Clark makes something like a full recovery. I'll wait and see. If he does then we will have a great mix of height strength and versatility.

Eighth, we now have depth. The injuries and dramas that beset us in 2012 were very hard to cover. There will be more injuries next year but we will be better placed to cover them.

Ninth, we have offloaded some players whose attitude was not acceptable. The team ethos will build from here and hopefully we will be a much more mentally resilient team.

In summary, if we add all of these thing up, if some or most of these things are true (there many 'ifs and buts'), we will have to win some more games. Confidence is an intangible thing but it could play a big role as the pieces fall into place.

Edited by btdemon
  • Like 6

Agree with most of what you have said btdemon.

IMO that will get us about eight wins and a considerable reduction in the number of 8 -10 goal losses

we endured in 2012.

If we finish with eight wins and a reduction in big losses it will have been a big improvment

on a year were we not competitive in 90% of games.

I really like the look of the players structure that can used. It may be a chance for Neeld to invent a game style. Not congested defensive nor open Pagan paddock but the demon rotation model where the forwards Clarke Howe Dawes Pederson all rotate around the forward line from depp in the pockets to deep in the flanks

Always moving so that 1 big tall is in each position and allowing enough space for the circulating Roden Blease byrnes and midfielders can support at the ball drop.

Viney and Wines may not have as much influence as some seem to want but if their attitude, enthusiasm and agression is picked up by others there is plenty of spreadto add.

The backline can benefit from the solid base that has developed and maybe with a bit more pressure to ease the barrage into our defence the turnovers can be decreased. With Watts and Dunn delivering more accuratly to a forward line that offers more options there might even be a more effective return from defensive attack.

The midfield strength including the Jamar Spencer Gawn Fitz options provide some alternative options that again can provide some real variation with a rotation around the centre weighting numbers when we have the ball and responding to attacks by spreading.

Who knows a new year a new team a new strategy

Lets see what we come up with

• Like 1

Not going to expect too much from the boys next year, but, I am an optimist by nature. If we finish the year with a percentage around 100-110%, I'd take that.

Edited by 1 red eye 1 blue eye

There is very little chance of this happening but stranger things have happened in football, that's for sure.

I think realistically we will win 6 - 8 games and finish 14th ahead of GWS, GC, Port and the Doggies.

Will be very happy to be proven wrong though!

I must say that if as you suggest we beat the four teams above we will finish 11th! (We finished 14th this year.)