Schwab re-signs for three years

Stigga

The thing that the Melbourne Football Club needs the most is unity and consistency at the top and the Board has decided to offer Cameron Schwab an extra three year contract.

This constitutes a fairly strong endorsement of a man who, as CEO, presided over a club whose financial position has improved from being in debt to the tune of $5m to a point where we are in a positive asset situation in excess of $6m.

I've never quite known why the angst about Cameron Schwab. His critics speak in whispered tones of his interference in football matters leading to the disasters of late July 2011. I still don't know if, in the end, he deserves to be damned or praised if this is in fact the truth.

We have a CEO who by all accounts is well respected by those high up at AFL and club level and on that basis, congratulations go all round on the appointment.

To those who don't like it, get over it - it's time to move on.

in total agreement. i was at a market research thing at the club earlier in the year. the subject of cam came up and a few sinister grins appeared on certain faces. there was a chap there who actually is involved at the club. he whispered something to the guy next to him. when i asked what that was all about he didnt elaborate.

there are many things that clearly occured in the lead up to his near dismissal that have not been made public. for the fact that he is still there and has a new 3 year contract tells me many people may have been wrong. the whisperers need to man up and speak out if they have something to say.

I dont proclaim to be a financial boffin, but what i do know is that i have on a number of occasions been moved by his passion for the club. these are the sorts of people i want working for the club.

No

Dr there are more than CW believe me.

I have a media contact that informs me he is the most disliked GM in the AFL.

does it really matter what the Media cares for or not ?

Its whats good for the Club

Who are we trying to appease ?

• Like 1

Poor Cam. He gets 2 sponsors in a month under intense pressure and he doesn't get squat for it.

Furthermore the poor bastard doesn't even have a good product to sell. Fancy trying to [censored] off oil to Arabs, because sponsors certainly weren't getting on board knowing we'd be helping their image!

Cam has done a good job with the resources in front of him. I'd love too see what he can do with a real football team on the ground gathering outside support.

I personally think 2 years may have been more suitable but I trust the club and say congratulations Cam, don't take your foot off the gas yet- the good times are coming.

• Like 5

The thing that the Melbourne Football Club needs the most is unity and consistency at the top and the Board has decided to offer Cameron Schwab an extra three year contract.

This constitutes a fairly strong endorsement of a man who, as CEO, presided over a club whose financial position has improved from being in debt to the tune of $5m to a point where we are in a positive asset situation in excess of $6m.

I've never quite known why the angst about Cameron Schwab. His critics speak in whispered tones of his interference in football matters leading to the disasters of late July 2011. I still don't know if, in the end, he deserves to be damned or praised if this is in fact the truth.

We have a CEO who by all accounts is well respected by those high up at AFL and club level and on that basis, congratulations go all round on the appointment.

To those who don't like it, get over it - it's time to move on.

I agree with you WJ however I must add that my view is from the outer.

I have no real idea if he is good , bad or indifferent.

What I do know is that compared to the two previous incumbents he looks to be a rocket scientist.

The Board should and have given the job to the person they see as the best person.

He does have one draw back and that is he is not liked by the media.

That is of course is not a reason to preclude him for the job.

does it really matter what the Media cares for or not ?

Its whats good for the Club

Who are we trying to appease ?

BB please read a few of my previous comments on CS.

I am not suggesting we do not give him the job because some media people hate him.

I am making a statement of fact ( based on my contacts )

I said earlier the one down side is we will continue the be the precipitant of Media scorn.

And the best way to shut them up is to win games.

Fairly simple solution.

However the Dees make hard work of the solution.

I would think also that 3 years also facilitates some staggering of contracts of upper echilon employees of the club.

3 years is a very common commercial time slice.

BB please read a few of my previous comments on CS.

I am not suggesting we do not give him the job because some media people hate him.

I am making a statement of fact ( based on my contacts )

I said earlier the one down side is we will continue the be the precipitant of Media scorn.

And the best way to shut them up is to win games.

Fairly simple solution.

However the Dees make hard work of the solution.

OD

wasnt having a go at you :) simply asking the question, who are we to appease. ? Us , i.e members and followers of this great ( sometimes..lol ) club ...OR.. the others.

Im quite chuffed that the MFC has enough cohunas to ignore any other influnces to its decision other than what it considers best for the MFC.

I realise thats scandalus as there are so many in the media whose opinions and views ought to be sought and valued :unsure:

Cam has done a good job with the resources in front of him. I'd love too see what he can do with a real football team on the ground gathering outside support.

Well you don't have to look too far. Check out what he did at Freo. Diddly squat.

Any other pearls??

Lets cut the crap

12 months ago he was gone, cooked, done, put a fork in him.

Now he's signed to a 3 year deal.

This board has tied their future to his if he goes down they do.

I'm comfortable with that.

3 years for the board, CEO and football department to turn this ship around.

• Like 2

Well you don't have to look too far. Check out what he did at Freo. Diddly squat.

Any other pearls??

He took Fremantle from $8 million dollars of debt to a profitable one, and the foundations he set in place now make it in the top 4 or 5 AFL clubs for financial stability.

Schwab has done the same with us, we continue to get more and more members every year even after the worst 10 years in the clubs history IMO.

I don't like him getting too involved in the squad decisions but I'm more than content with his ability to set up the club, he's shown an ability to do so, and it is Mark's place to tell him to stay out of list management decisions.

• Like 3

Poor Cam. He gets 2 sponsors in a month under intense pressure and he doesn't get squat for it.

The only issue I have with Schwab and sponsors is that he came on here and was particularly bullish about the EnergyWatch deal.

Even before the racial rants of Polis were revealed, there was always something dodgey about EnergyWatch with ACCC investigations and the fact that they were sponsoring so many sporting clubs for a small company was a concern. Then of course the mysterious Chinese sponsor never eventuated.

Therefore, Schwab had no choice but to get two sponsors in a month, and it must be said that the value of these sponsorships has never been revealed.

people forget that the board consists of some seriously established and successful businessmen who know what it takes to run a successful business (which is what Schwab has to do) and can make hard decisions. no doubt the board has played a huge role in clearing the debt but that doesn't mean schwab has sat on his hands for 4 years.

a couple in particular Stuart Grimshaw - CEO of BOQ + Guy Jalland - Legal Exec to the Packers.

I'm not going to dance around like some of you here and say its a fantastic or suicidal decision but i do know that

a) these guys are far far more qualified than most on here and

B) they actually get to work with him and see the inside of the club

If they've come to this decision it wont have been without hours and hours of debate and scrutiny and i will stick with them on it

• Like 5

The only issue I have with Schwab and sponsors is that he came on here and was particularly bullish about the EnergyWatch deal.

Even before the racial rants of Polis were revealed, there was always something dodgey about EnergyWatch with ACCC investigations and the fact that they were sponsoring so many sporting clubs for a small company was a concern. Then of course the mysterious Chinese sponsor never eventuated.

Therefore, Schwab had no choice but to get two sponsors in a month, and it must be said that the value of these sponsorships has never been revealed.

Let's not forget that several other sporting orgnisations had similar sponsorship arrangements. Was that a reason to dump their CEOs?

Cameron's legacy will be as follows:

- Bloated off-field department

- Unsustainable business model

- Waste

- Stupid logo

- Stupid blazers

- Poisonous culture

You have valid concerns, but you lose credibility with misguided and petty inclusions like the above:

What 'bloated off-field department?' We had one of the smallest footy depts incl. pro-recruiting, drafting, and sports science in the AFL and it showed. We were amateurs in these areas.

What 'waste?' Is this just repeating the 'bloated' idea above?

The 'stupid logo & blazers' line is just pettiness.

And, finally, the poisonous culture is not something that a CEO can create and cultivate by himself - far from it. If we are talking why 186 happened then that is the domain of the senior players and the coaches before it is the CEO. And what was it like under Harris and McNamee? How was our culture then?

and last but not least

- A big pay out that the club can ill afford because he has convinced his mates to give him a three year deal

I guess Schwab has finally worked out what you have not - he simply isn't up to it.

This is just bitter. Would try to keep this nonsense out of posts as it is very similar to the nonsense about the Gardner boards that you rightly dismiss from time to time.

Schwab had an awful 2011 with most of the club enjoying a similar time. The dysfunction was caused by competing interests in the club, a CEO looking for a sacrificial lamb and a coach trying to save himself - as Warwick Green pulled from Jim's notes.

But events have given him a mulligan because his destructive behaviour was on the right side of history and the fact that he is the last one standing from that mess.

I hope he does very well, because I support the Demons and so does he.

• Like 2

If we don't start winning games he won't see out his tenure. There won't be an MFC to officiate.

I think he's done a decent job, but the Energy Watch thing was really unbelievable. Don't think Cam ever saw The Smartest Guys in the Room.

Any other pearls??

Did you know that Fremantle were a basket case before CS and CC got there????

They made the prelim and the club got out of a 2 million debt...But as usual CS stepped on toes and was sacked

Diddly squat.....Crap

P.S. ....Also saved the Richmond FC with the "Save our skins" campaign

Edited by Bossdog
  • Like 1

Did you know that Fremantle were a basket case before CS and CC got there????

They made the prelim and the club got out of a 2 million debt...But as usual CS stepped on toes and was sacked

Diddly squat.....Crap

P.S. ....Also saved the Richmond FC with the "Save our skins" campaign

Demons advocate.... so he is good at getting tin rattling/supporter donations what about getting sponsors on-board prepared to pay big $$ for the long term. I deliberately put long term as he seems like he can bring sponsors on (even if some have been through what appears to be sheer luck ie Kaspersky) but retention of sponsors seems to be a concern from the outside looking in.

I know neither way if he is good long term or not but I think as Hazy mentioned and agree accountability has to be held by all in positions of power at MFC. He has passed the test from the boards point of view but is it the right call, time will tell.

I never said that, I'm just saying that getting the two sponsors wasn't such a great bonus as much as it was a necessity considering the situation.

So, through no fault of his own, and at very short notice, Cam has to go out and land TWO new sponsors?

And he delivers?

Bad Cam!

• Like 2

Lets cut the crap

12 months ago he was gone, cooked, done, put a fork in him.

Now he's signed to a 3 year deal.

This board has tied their future to his if he goes down they do.

I'm comfortable with that.

3 years for the board, CEO and football department to turn this ship around.

Spot on Diablo, the board and CEO will live or die by this decision. Nothing is giong to change it - and there is no solid evidence that it should be changed.

They need to keep funding the FD to give them the resources to build a strong team, and the inhabitants are getting impatient!!