Jake Stringer

Dr. Mubutu

There is a lot of water to go under the bridge on this.

Stringer could go anywhere within the first two rounds. He is good enough to be taken very early yet some suggest he could fall to a late first-rounder. Kevin Sheehan says he will go "top 20". His impressive skill numbers at the Draft Combine send him up the rankings but his poor movement in the running tests drag him down.

I know nothing about where our recruiters rate him, but with a mid-teens pick gone I don't think we're really interested.

Stringer could go anywhere within the first two rounds. He is good enough to be taken very early yet some suggest he could fall to a late first-rounder. Kevin Sheehan says he will go "top 20". His impressive skill numbers at the Draft Combine send him up the rankings but his poor movement in the running tests drag him down.

I know nothing about where our recruiters rate him, but with a mid-teens pick gone I don't think we're really interested.

Agree ... he is not a match for us now. We have too fwds and need more quality mids.

I would love to have him at the Dees, but he's struggling to run well atmo. So is too big a risk IMO in the first round.

I wouldn't be surprised in such a manic looking free agency/trade period, clubs appear desperate to get instant players to climb or to cling on to power.

None of them want to slip down while rebuilding. Recycling looks the theme.

I'm going to hazard a guess for Stringer, P24.

I would love to have him at the Dees, but he's struggling to run well atmo. So is too big a risk IMO in the first round.

I wouldn't be surprised in such a manic looking free agency/trade period, clubs appear desperate to get instant players to climb or to cling on to power.

None of them want to slip down while rebuilding. Recycling looks the theme.

I'm going to hazard a guess for Stringer, P24.

Hopefully 20 :)

Who thinks Stringer can pull a Jack Darling and slide right down to pick 20?

Without a doubt. He's a talented kid, built strong in his core but moved like a plodder this year.

It has been suggested that we downgraded from pick 13 to 20 because we have a player in mind to draft there. That may or may not be Jake. But it's abundantly clear that Neeld wants strong, ready-made bodies out of this year's draftees. We don't have the luxury of time to wait on skinny kids as they bulk up.

For that reason I think Oliver Wines firms as our pick 4 selection. At pick 20 I would take Stringer without hesitation. The other solid build midfielders / utilities within the top 25 are Kennedy, Vlastuin and Hrovat. I don't rate any of them ahead of Stringer.

If it's a choice between Stringer and Wines at pick 4, head-over-heart I choose Stringer. But with Viney's sway, I think the club would disagree.

Finally some playing footage has surfaced, and I must say this excites me...

[media=]

I wouldn't mind the club taking the risk and trying to pick him up, his fitness can be improved and hopefully the leg can be managed. I think if these two things are done (by any club) he may very well be in the same categories as C. Judd, J. Selwood or D. Heppell, all of which slid in their respective drafts due to junior football injuries. Although on that note, with the picks we currently have (pick 20 likely going for Dawes) I think it's very unlikely we will land him.

Edited by ignition.
  • Like 1

I have a feeling that in years to come when people are feeling negative, they are going to start threads about how we missed this guy. It's going to be Darling all over again, how did we pick up (insert player name here) and not take Stringer? Look at what he's doing for (insert club [not us] here). Sack the recruiters!!!!

Even though I am happy with the trade we made to secure Hogan and Barry (and Viney) I really wish we could have held on to 13, because that is where I expect him to go and I would really love it if it were Melbourne calling his name.

• Like 1

I have a feeling that in years to come when people are feeling negative, they are going to start threads about how we missed this guy. It's going to be Darling all over again, how did we pick up (insert player name here) and not take Stringer? Look at what he's doing for (insert club [not us] here). Sack the recruiters!!!!

Even though I am happy with the trade we made to secure Hogan and Barry (and Viney) I really wish we could have held on to 13, because that is where I expect him to go and I would really love it if it were Melbourne calling his name.

I don't think there will be the same angst if we miss out on Stringer, he would be a great pick up but we simply don't have the pick that will get him, as has been already said 4 is too early and 20 is probably going to go on Dawes so unless we can trade for a pick below 20 I doubt we will be in it. Mind you if he's there and our Rivers pick is still available then we should snap him up.

Love to have him looks good but we can't have them all.

Edited by RobbieF
  • Like 1

I don't think there will be the same angst if we miss out on Stringer, he would be a great pick up but we simply don't have the pick that will get him, as has been already said 4 is too early and 20 is probably going to go on Dawes so unless we can trade for a pick below 20 I doubt we will be in it. Mind you if he's there and our Rivers pick is still available then we should snap him up.

Love to have him looks good but we can't have them all.

If the Rivers pick can get us Stringer than I will clean out his locker and piggy-back him to his new home.

How marvelous would that be?!

• Like 2

If the Rivers pick can get us Stringer than I will clean out his locker and piggy-back him to his new home.

How marvelous would that be?!

Sloonie if we can get Stringer for the Rivers pick I'd give you a hand, it's a long way to Geelong.

Do we know if that footage is from before or after his broken leg?

The first game's worth of footage appears to be his 9.7 game vs. the Northern Knights. His slow-walk run in to goal gives that away. I can clearly see bandaging over that leg in the Etihad Stadium footage, too.

He needs to be selected as a bona fide midfielder if we were to use pick 4 on him. It's hard to tell from articles online though: some say on-baller, others utility and the Draft Combine nominated him as a tall forward for some reason.

But he has the sharp hands and evasiveness to act as a mid. Plus the core strength and tackling. And the marking.

• Like 1

Do we know if that footage is from before or after his broken leg? 'cause it looks like he's still got a great leap from the early parts. No chance he'll still be there at 20 unfortunately.

Highlights are post injury. The first part of the footage is from the Pioneers game against the Knights earlier this season. Jake kicked 9.7.

The rest is footage of him playing VFL for Bendigo Gold. I was surprised by how well he moved after all the talk of the injury affecting his mobility.

Extraordinary that he got 46 votes in the Gold's B&F from just the 3 games.

Looked very Goddard-like in some of those passages, his kicking looked elite (combine results seem to back that up).

• Like 1

Do we know if that footage is from before or after his broken leg? 'cause it looks like he's still got a great leap from the early parts. No chance he'll still be there at 20 unfortunately.

The footage was obtained after he broke his leg. I think this is an interesting picture, it appears he has taped a shin guard in front of where the break occurred.

IMGP7397C-1.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting to read the thoughts on Wines as an option at pick 4. He is built strong and ready-made; attacks the contest and is an accumulator of the footy; skilful by hands and by foot and makes good decisions. That's a copy and paste job into Stringer's profile.

Wines has a clean bill of health as far as we know, but Stringer has marking ability and kicks goals. It's a split decision.

• Like 1

One thing is, Kinghtmare has Stinger in the 5-20 range but maintains he could still be the best of this draft and has the most talent.

Unfortunately at this time of the year there are so many temptations and so much information available that you can get somewhat confused as to what and who you want. I've had a look at his highlights clip and he looks really good, he shows a certain arrogance when he gets the ball and is strong enough to fend off opponents or burst through tackles, he looks the goods but so does Wines.

I'd hate to be in the position of having to choose and even GWS with picks 1, 2 & 3 will be kicking themselves about the ones they let through, probably more so than us because if they have had the first 3 picks and Stringer turns out to be better than their selections they are going to look pretty stupid.

We may have to pick between Grundy, Wines O'Rourke and Stringer, wow, which will turn out to be the best?

If we can get Wines at 4 and somehow Stringer is available at 20 (if we still have the pick) I will be ecstatic.

I think Stringer at 4 wouldn't be a silly option by any means but it seems like there are more 'safe bets' before him like O'Rourke, Toumpas, Grundy, Wines, Macrae and so on.

Unfortunately at this time of the year there are so many temptations and so much information available that you can get somewhat confused as to what and who you want. I've had a look at his highlights clip and he looks really good, he shows a certain arrogance when he gets the ball and is strong enough to fend off opponents or burst through tackles, he looks the goods but so does Wines.

I'd hate to be in the position of having to choose and even GWS with picks 1, 2 & 3 will be kicking themselves about the ones they let through, probably more so than us because if they have had the first 3 picks and Stringer turns out to be better than their selections they are going to look pretty stupid.

We may have to pick between Grundy, Wines O'Rourke and Stringer, wow, which will turn out to be the best?

Yep, and im sure they are also thinking, if i get this pick wrong the guys down at Demonland will write another 2000 post thread about how i suck at my job.

Seriously i cant be disappointed, i assume.....there are that many options who can justify a pick at 4 we must get one