• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Brian Royal Poll

McQueen

Brian Royal - Stay or Go?  

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Found it a bit amusing he has copped it on here. He may be a dud, but we wouldn't really have a clue of the workings of the football department and his specific role. All we do know is we are undermanned in the midfield and have been for a few years now.

• Like 7

If anyone just looked at their ceiling and shook their head - I'm with you.

I love this Forum's periodical assessments of assistant coaches.

It has all the intellectual rigour and basis of fact that would be present in a dark ages village witching hunt probe. Think Monty Python.

Royal may well go at the end of the year. But to expect a coach to do anything with our bottom of the barrel third world midfield is laughable. But yes it must be the assistant coach and not the cattle!

Heavens knows who the torch bearers next year....Bohdan Babijczuk?

• Like 1

Found it a bit amusing he has copped it on here. He may be a dud, but we wouldn't really have a clue of the workings of the football department and his specific role. All we do know is we are undermanned in the midfield and have been for a few years now.

Just saw this Forest. Too much sense . You will only upset the lynch mob. :lol:

I know that he's a very unimpressive person from listening to his game previews on the MFC site.

Yes you need your ass coaches to be impressive in pre game interviews.......It's a must.....

Edit....spelling

Edited by Bossdog

Really don't know why everyone has concluded that Royal is a dud coach .So what if he's hesitant in a pre-game interview? He's struggling to balance the need to give interesting information to supporters with the importance of keeping interesting information away from opponents. OK ... so he's not comfortable feeding [censored] to the media - that doesn't mean he can;t coach!!

His reputation may have suffered because he was part of Terry Wallace's team at Richmond .... but that is not to say that he can't coach either. He's generally credited with being the key man in establishing a strong mid-field culture at the Bulldogs ............ and as part of the St Kilda coaching team in their grand final years he was hardly a failure !!

Neeldy may want to bring more young blood into the role nexy year - and someone like Lingy would seem to have much to offer - but I don't see how you can point a bone so clearly at Brian Royal. He hasn;t had the cattle - much less consistently fit cattle!!

I love this Forum's periodical assessments of assistant coaches.

It has all the intellectual rigour and basis of fact that would be present in a dark ages village witching hunt probe. Think Monty Python.

Royal may well go at the end of the year. But to expect a coach to do anything with our bottom of the barrel third world midfield is laughable. But yes it must be the assistant coach and not the cattle!

Heavens knows who the torch bearers next year....Bohdan Babijczuk?

I just don't get why you have to make these comments Rhino. Of course nearly all of the content on this forum in relations to topics like this has no research or findings to it. It's to gauge peoples feelings and create discussion and you know that.

Anyway, thanks for the couple of sentences of input relating to the topic.

Edited by McQueen

I just don't get why you have to make these comments Rhino. Of course nearly all of the content on this forum in relations to topics like this has no research or findings to it. It's to gauge peoples feelings and create discussion and you know that.

Anyway, thanks for the couple of sentences of input relating to the topic.

Whilst not quite as abrasive (sorry RR) I really dont know how anyone can gauge the work of the assistant coach. First and foremost the assistant coach would be delivering the message of the head coach- they would not work in isolation.

The only way to judge is through heresay and movements of the coach (and it is unfair to say that West was a poor assistant coach because Neeld moved him out - Neeld wanted his own people in year one ).Probably when 5 teams chase after one guy - you have to take the leap and assume he is good and if Neeld doesnt renew Royal at years end you have to conclude that Neeld doesnt think he is the man to assist. Anything else and we are guessing.

Edited by nutbean
  • Like 1

All the talk of getting chapman for his culture building abilities gets me thinking we should go hard for Cameron Ling as a Midfield coach. This bloke knows what it's like to be in a crap team and then turn it around into a monster of a team. Many say he is interested in coaching so I say get him.

I often think posts about former players as coaches indicates a high level of belief in voodoo or 'rubbing Buddha's belly' for wealth, as the link as to why someone is going to transform players into their level of ability seems very faith based.

However on this occasion I can see Ling having that effect and would be on-board with him as midfield coach, hell I'd be happy if he pulled on a jumper.

I want him gone .

I make no secret of it.

He has been at the centre of most of our problems.

We look like drunk lepers trying to catch a greased watermelon whenever there is a bounce .

He must be retarded or no good at his job.

See you chocco!

• Like 1

I dont know why you want to defend the behaviour.

Its character assassination based on bias, ignorance and malevolence. its low grade stuff that appeals to the LCD

And the most of the site isnt like that. There is useually a mix of intelligent discussion, good research, facts amongst the sea of unwashed banality.

You are not that discerning.

• Like 1

We win most taps every week.

He just does nothing

Whilst not quite as abrasive (sorry RR) I really dont know how anyone can gauge the work of the assistant coach. First and foremost the assistant coach would be delivering the message of the head coach- they would not work in isolation.

The only way to judge is through heresay and movements of the coach (and it is unfair to say that West was a poor assistant coach because Neeld moved him out - Neeld wanted his own people in year one ).Probably when 5 teams chase after one guy - you have to take the leap and assume he is good and if Neeld doesnt renew Royal at years end you have to conclude that Neeld doesnt think he is the man to assist. Anything else and we are guessing.

It was the reason why I put the option of responsibility with Neeld and is my opinion.

I dont know why you want to defend the behaviour.

Its character assassination based on bias, ignorance and malevolence. its low grade stuff that appeals to the LCD

And the most of the site isnt like that. There is useually a mix of intelligent discussion, good research, facts amongst the sea of unwashed banality.

You are not that discerning.

I'm not defending that behavior at all and FFS where do I mention Royals character in any of this? You are given an inch and take a mile in an effort to satiate your appetite for argument and massage your ego.

You have taken my comments on the discussion for topics like this out of context. Well done. Read it again - thoroughly.

And what is the LCD?

ok, enough tof that, far too much reason there. Can you please learn to tart up your writings with vacuous commnetary based upon rambling and dribble.
  • Like 1

I'm not defending that behavior at all and FFS where do I mention Royals character in any of this? You are given an inch and take a mile in an effort to satiate your appetite for argument and massage your ego.

You have taken my comments on the discussion for topics like this out of context. Well done. Read it again - thoroughly.

Your start to post 34 sums it up. And you came on trying to justify what had been said about Royal to date. Nutbean also explained it to you. Its ironic that you made specific comment on the contribution to the thread and gave little yourself. But I know.....back to post 34!

His contract is up...he's goorrnn.

The real question should be whether other assistants will walk of their own volition

No it's not...and this debate is simplistic drivel. Do you really believe one assistant coach among a coaching team of 7 is responsible for overall performance & direction. Complete crap. Look at the cattle - I don't see a Pendelebury, Swan, Judd, Watson or Ablett amonst them.Take a reality check, it wouldn't matter who was coaching them, we're not good enough (at leasat not yet ).

Your start to post 34 sums it up. And you came on trying to justify what had been said about Royal to date. Nutbean also explained it to you. Its ironic that you made specific comment on the contribution to the thread and gave little yourself. But I know.....back to post 34!

What Nutbean explained I completely agree with and it's shown in the poll. Neeld said at the start of the season that it's the assistant coaches job to bring ideas to the head coach. If they've got merit they'll be acted on. Obviously I should have backed up my vote with better dialogue so people like yourself won't carry on like I pointed out in post 34!

And your comments below are so extreme it's laughable.

"Its character assassination based on bias, ignorance and malevolence. its low grade stuff that appeals to the LCD"

Whatever floats your boat.

What Nutbean explained I completely agree with and it's shown in the poll. Neeld said at the start of the season that it's the assistant coaches job to bring ideas to the head coach. If they've got merit they'll be acted on.

How would those voting in the poll have any clue? How would the mug supporter sitting in the stands be able to assess the interaction between the head coach and assistant coach? How can they possibly make a valid judgement on the performance of individuals? The answer is they cant. If you agree with Nutbean then I dont know why you would run a poll?? Its given you nothing based on informed views. And Blind Freddie could have told you the Forum torch burners would want him sacked.

And too often these sought of discussions on the worthiness of an assistant coach become a springboard for up being character assassinations and ignorant condemnations of MFC public figures as demonstrated in this thread by posters.

I think post #2 summed the worthiness of the exercise but at least you got something out of it.

If we only had the midfield's performance this year to judge Royal by, no one could judge whether he can coach. However, we also have a nice little controlled experiment. In 2010, under Sean Wellman, the backline was good, sometimes very good. In 2011 under Brian Royal, the same backline was very bad. The only thing that changed was the coach.

Really not in the position to make a call, but all I'll say is if there is better out there then we should go for it. He is somewhat of a symbol of the previous coaching panel. In some ways until we have severed ties entirely with of the old group it's difficult not to feel it's still there.