Lucas Cook, Jack Fitzpatrick etc

satyricon

At 2 years in the system he is not even close to getting a game in an injury belted team. He struggles at VFL level. He does not show basic commitment to a contest.

If 2014 is the date you believe he should be a regular player then he has to improved bucket loads. And its not just putting on a few kilos either.

And if the FD did have a plan that was 4 years before making a contribution then he better turn out to be as good as Wayne Carey because its a terrible waste of a first round pick.

Its more than reasonable to have expected Cook to be pushing for an AFL spot in his 2nd year. Its also reasonable to expect that he would be showing the traits of a talented footballer than drew him as pick 12 in the draft. He isnt showing that at all.

Say he doesnt show commitment to the contest is absolute Bulldust mate, and saying he struggles at VFL level your so full of it, he has been injured, trying get back into it, when he plays a full preseason and season he might build some momentum and thats what i expect. Unless you have watched him closely as i have tried to with him being a Ballarat boy then dont make sweeping comments that are way off the mark because they suit your he is young and skinny argument, its pointless.

I think Tom McDonald shows how a great preseason can boost a player coming into the real stuff. If Cook can have an uninterrupted pre-season then we'll see how much talent he has. Until he gets that pre-season, we are just speculating.

Edited by PaulRB

"Plain" because it's patently obvious to most and "rubbish" because it's crap.

Hope that helps.

And if you're still unsure ask Binman.

Shouldn't it be "plainly rubbish". Don't think there is anything called "plain rubbish" unless it is that which is found on a plain.

Only few were audible back then. Hindsight really is a wonderful asset though.

You clearly read different draft info to me. He was in most media's top 10 at the time and to think Cook will outdo him is like sitting around for 7 years waiting for the likes of Bate and Dunn to become footballers

• Like 1

You clearly read different draft info to me. He was in most media's top 10 at the time and to think Cook will outdo him is like sitting around for 7 years waiting for the likes of Bate and Dunn to become footballers

Clearly 14 other AFL recruiting officers read a different draft to you as well. But what would they know!

Clearly 14 other AFL recruiting officers read a different draft to you as well. But what would they know!

Quite clearly, not much.

There were many on here hoping that Darling or even Atley would be our selection, I doubt that many would have been pumping for Cook.

• Like 1

Gysberts should be added to this thread. 3 years and struggling. I havnt seen any improvements from him since his first season. He wont get de-listed though I think if he has another mediocre year then he ll be on the line.

Gysberts should be added to this thread. 3 years and struggling. I havnt seen any improvements from him since his first season. He wont get de-listed though I think if he has another mediocre year then he ll be on the line.

Gysberts is a pretty talented footballer who has had a series of injuries including an injury to his back and a broken jaw, he'll be ok.

• Like 1

Gysberts is a pretty talented footballer who has had a series of injuries including an injury to his back and a broken jaw, he'll be ok.

not if he has another 3 yrs of injuries he wont be.

Slow, poor endurance and not a lot of hurt factor with his disposals. He's a smart inside mid without a big body.

I think he's in trouble, unless he can get big and fit quickly.

• Like 1

Slow, poor endurance and not a lot of hurt factor with his disposals. He's a smart inside mid without a big body.

I guess we will have to see how he develops in the pre season; I'm confident he will be a good player for us.

Next year is massive for him. If he's still a plodder with less than 30 games to his name at the end of year 4, he's gone.

I still have (probably blind) hope that he can be our answer to Jobe Watson.

As for Fitzpatrick & Cook, it doesn't look good, I'm loathe to write off young players especially KPP's after a couple of years. However, all good KPPs have shown something in their first couple of years - what have Fitz & Cook shown?

Swans were very keen on him from what I remember.

Got some height , just gotta get him fit and fill 'im out.

Interesting considering that they finished up with Jed Lamb the only other player picked in the top 30 that hasn't played a game yet.

The moral to the story is don't take any notice of the Swans early pick but take a great deal of interest in the ones they pick later on, they've picked up some gems.

Listening to Neeld talk about the young players on our list he seems to have a

good understanding of where they are at.

I think people should stop speculating on who should be gone and just wait

and see, he will keep the players he thinks have the potential to succeed.

• Like 1

I have never made the skinny argument about him mate. I have already he said he needs a cracker of a pre season.to atone for his underwhelming 2 years mate.

Fair enough but i still think you were selling him short saying he lacked commitment to the contest, i still have faith in his ability but that isnt always enough within itself with players who get injured and cannot put on the weight ect required.

Guest José Mourinho

So you can't have an opinion on what you've seen first hand ? Do you think every poster that has strong question marks over Cook doesn't "grasp" the fact that KPPs take time ? A young tall can be young and not much good. They're not all great prospects just because they're young and under-developed.

I've seen him live a number of times now, including against cellar dwellars Frankston, and the guy couldn't be more underwhelming. He's slow, there's not an aggressive bone in his body, he didn't work hard, and didn't read the play well. He's an OK mark, a good kick, he supposedly has excellent endurance, he's a good decision maker (when he gets it) but not much more. He was expected to go in the 25-35 range in the AFL's own phantom draft (which now seems generous) but he's another Barry Prendergast "special" at 12.

The guy should be hanged, drawn and quartered.

In the interview following that draft I recall Prendergast saying that another recruiter after one pick said to him "You got a real steal there, we had our eye on him" about one of the picks.

I got the distinct impression the pick was Cook, and that the opposition recruiter was winding him up...

Cook was rated approx 25-35 in mock drafts, but I believe it was another pick for needs.

Now I haven't had an opportunity to see Casey other than on TV, but could the unlikely and underrated, now resurrected Williams steal a march on Cook? The clips one sees suggest that he is a big boy, and a good mark and kick.

Any comments from regular Casey watchers?

Now I haven't had an opportunity to see Casey other than on TV, but could the unlikely and underrated, now resurrected Williams steal a march on Cook? The clips one sees suggest that he is a big boy, and a good mark and kick.

do you want fraser gherig or do you want nick riewaldt

do you want fraser gherig or do you want nick riewaldt

I guess my question was along the lines of: Is Williams at all likely to be a big surprise packet ala Pods?

I wasn't even remotely looking at Reiwoldt or Gehrig comparisons. But I wouldn't mind Gehrig, at his best, but of course would rather Reiwoldt, or Carey, or JBrown etc etc etc

Edited by monoccular

I have not seen every game mon

But have seen a few.

I think Williams is doing very well considering he had a month off and was in a coma for a week during that period.

Has he passed Cook I don't think so but there are three games to go

IMO it will depend on how they each play during that period.

The thing I like about Williams is he looks like he has a body that is going to fill out.

I could see him putting on weight faster than Cook.

He is of course 2 years older than Cook.

Cook just looks to me like a guy that is always going to be thin.

These are only my opinions but you have my feelings