At this critical juncture in the club's future, the selection of our high draft picks should in no way shape or form be compromised by a conflict of interest.

A father charged with possibly calling out the name of his son when there are several other highly rated prospects at the pointy end of a 'superdraft' is about as compromised as you can get.

We have stuffed up too many selections under the previous head recruiter to take any chances this time. We are walking a minefield at this draft and cannot afford to put a single foot wrong.

We'll cope with it.

(Unless you want an outside runner like Morton)

I want a champion like Pavlich or Judd.

Get real.

I want a champion like Pavlich or Judd.

So do I, but you won't be disappointed with Viney, although it will be a disaster if we have to use our first round pick. And not because Viney isn't worth it, as I believe he is, but because we miss out on another gun mid.

I've watched Viney a few times now and he's absolutely manic at the contest. The player that he most resembles in style and the way he goes about it is Joel Selwood and I can't say the same about any other young listed AFL player.

RPFC, you've written nothing much of any help there. Most people are ignorant about this stuff. How would you know that tests would not be useful? Because you don't know better? You've reviewed that literature?

There are simply thousands of scientific peer-reviewed articles that say that more objective methods improve human decision making. In fact, objective methods are often much better than human judgements.

to say that you don't reckon because you don't reckon is a pathetic arguement. Actually, it isn't an argument. It's an opinion. That's great.

• Like 1

RPFC, you've written nothing much of any help there. Most people are ignorant about this stuff. How would you know that tests would not be useful? Because you don't know better? You've reviewed that literature?

There are simply thousands of scientific peer-reviewed articles that say that more objective methods improve human decision making. In fact, objective methods are often much better than human judgements.

to say that you don't reckon because you don't reckon is a pathetic arguement. Actually, it isn't an argument. It's an opinion. That's great.

We are talking about the best candidate as a footy coach.

I am of the opinion that HR can stay out of it.

We are talking about the best candidate as a footy coach.

I am of the opinion that HR can stay out of it.

Im probably biased as a qualified HR professional Its a Bachelor of Business degree

HR is more than a hire / fire function and more than Psyche tests

Maybe you need to psyche test the hirers

I think TD did say the tests as part of selection and I would agree with that and also with you rpfc that it is the best candidate as footy coach.

I trust that the club does have some qualified HR people on board and if not they couldnt do worse than train some up. I did ny degree part time and found plenty of research and supporting evedence for my studies while watching the Dees, its an ideal environment matched only by Dland for exposing the variables that make up an organisation,

Oopss its getting tooo messy now better leave it at that.

It's easy really

If Todd picks two beautys he will be lauded as a great recruiter

If he picks two duds he will be lambasted by all on here..

• Like 1

So the rumour goes. If it's true, it might go some way to explaining why we had to pluck someone out of our own crew to fill the spot. It puts us in a tight spot - we've gone after one of the best in the business, but can't get him until next year. We have to do something in the mean time and I doubt any decent candidate is going to want to sit in the chair for one year while we wait for the next bloke to arrive.

Agree.

Jack Viney's selection has been locked in for years.

Im probably biased as a qualified HR professional Its a Bachelor of Business degree

I think TD did say the tests as part of selection and I would agree with that and also with you rpfc that it is the best candidate as footy coach.

I trust that the club does have some qualified HR people on board and if not they couldnt do worse than train some up. I did ny degree part time and found plenty of research and supporting evedence for my studies while watching the Dees, its an ideal environment matched only by Dland for exposing the variables that make up an organisation,

Didn't we have some top people from our sponsors Drake involved and on the panel? They might have known a little about recruitment and the merits of any processes to follow...

• Like 1

Are you joking? The two issues are not remotely related.

It is untenable situation to have a father in charge of recruiting his son.

It doesn't surprise me that you can't process this. You are an imbecile.

He is probably a very good man for the job, but no one can deny that this year there is a huge (potential at least) conflict of interest here.

He could stand accused of being too hard on Jack, or too easy on him depending on where he is selected.

I trust he wont but there will inevitably be questions asked.

Hard I hope.

Diamonds are created under pressure. Only the strong survive.

Clark

Watts

Jones

Grimes

McKenzie

Sylvia

Moloney

Davey

Green

Rivers

Jamar

Jurrah

Frawley

Trengove

Howe

Garland

Bartram

Tapscott

Viney

These are all good players. I have seen enough from these blokes to now that when playing at 100% ability, they play good footy.

Now Neeld has to get the best out of em.

Add Viney, 'big fish' and a few more first rounders, and we are good enough to challenge for finals and even win the [censored] thing.

2013, 2014, 2015!

Rip em apart.

Carn the demons.

• Like 1

hey dpositive.

HR is more than hire and fire. Apologies if I stated or implied otherwise.

Psych tests have a long history of being a damn sight better at selecting candidates for jobs than using interviews alone, which is most common way. Interviews are most often unstructured, biased and conducted by people with little or no training. That is what the MFC appear to have relied on - unstructured interviews. How do I know - because Cam Schwab described the process on SEN. Structured interviews are much better, but really only tell you about whether someone has social skills. If the club has qualified HR people on board, then I'd love to know why pretty basic HR selection process appears to not have been followed.

Given that psych tests are more value the higher up the management/professional food chain you go, it is just unbelievable to not use them.

• Like 1

Hard I hope.

Diamonds are created under pressure. Only the strong survive.

Clark

Watts

Jones

Grimes

McKenzie

Sylvia

Moloney

Davey

Green

Rivers

Jamar

Jurrah

Frawley

Trengove

Howe

Garland

Bartram

Tapscott

Viney

These are all good players. I have seen enough from these blokes to now that when playing at 100% ability, they play good footy.

Now Neeld has to get the best out of em.

Add Viney, 'big fish' and a few more first rounders, and we are good enough to challenge for finals and even win the [censored] thing.

2013, 2014, 2015!

Rip em apart.

Carn the demons.

I like it ... we need more positivity and belief. We will add 3-4 guns and then watch out. This draft and free agency period is CRUCIAL

• 1 month later...

Excerpt From Website

"Todd Viney - General Manager - Player Development & Strategy"

"Viney will oversee the operations of the Club’s overall player development programs, including the academy with Kelly O’Donnell, and personal development with Ian Flack. He will also work closely with conditioning coaches to ensure the development of the players’ physical skills are consistent with longer term objectives in the context of the Premiership Model."

How does Todd Viney's role effect his sons recruitment? Todd will probably have little input into any decision being made due to the conflict of interest. The decision to draft his son will not be made by Todd but by others in the football department. The fact that his son is in the draft this year does not mean you should sack Todd. Because his insight and experience can still be used. Why lose that experience? Conflict of Interest can be avoided when every one is aware it exist and puts strategies in place do deal with it. These processes within the club should be transparent to everyone involved. Yes externally the perception that it is wrong will exist but that would not change even if Todd was a runner.

I think that Neeld also will have the most say in who gets drafted as I think he and his coaching team have a very clear plan on who they will target as can be seen from the choices made at last years draft.

• Like 1

I still believe the club will not let Todd have the only and final word on the drafting of his son. I also stand by the fact that just because his son is in this draft we should not move him from the position he currently holds.

Funny this thread came up again as I just saw Todd Viney and Tim Harrington walking into the Westpac Center.

Now this is good news. Whatever the outcome its clear we are putting the time into some deals right now.