Cultural Change and Precedents

Left Field

I like that the new coaching group has identified weaknesses and targetted change. There are lots of positive examples including:

* Target and get Clark because we need a big forward

* Change pre-season training regime to start building "gut running" capability

* Emphasise defence as a foundation (did anyone else smile when the Bombers gave up 180 points on the weekend - they will fall behind us soon enough)

* Move players around to (cover injuries and) build flexibility

* Spill the leadership group and elect one based on pre-season imput

* Drop name players if they are not performing

The next test for the coaching group is to stick fat with their own rules.

Grimes is growing in the captaincy and will become a terrific long term player for the club. But JT is out of form and out of confidence. His turnovers are becoming costly, his pace into and away from the ball is slowing and his body language is drooping.

This is a turning point for the coach.

Will he ignore his own rules for his new golden child or will he drop him to the VFL (as he did with some terrific long term club servants)? Will he review his captaincy during the off season?

• Like 1

I agree with pretty much all of that. However we , as a team are caught a little between rock and hard place. We dont have an abundance of choice come the selection table. Id agree in merit the idea of Trenners finiding some form in the magoos but we stil probably need him more in the 1sts. I do agree he should go down,. In reality he ought not be alone , but thered be no-one left. Were just too ravaged by injuires.

Might be clutching at straws here, but for those that saw last year's preseason (2011 that is). Trengove started preseason very chunky in the legs. He was slow at running at pretty sluggish in play simulations etc. After a number of weeks he slimmed down in the legs and was back to normal. I put it down to too much training in the offseason, or the wrong type of training for his body/legs. Maybe it's the same again now - he's definitely got the tree trunk legs again. Do any preseason regulars recall this?

Demotion to the two's for a skipper, in my eyes, has always been a way of basically saying 'You've lost the captaincy.' I think they should let Trenners finish the year and then make him vice captain to Jack Grimes. After a bit of a shaky start, Grimey (see I used the Simpsons nickname?) has grown into the role while Trenners looks like he is carrying the Great Southern Stand on his shoulders.

Edited by Guest

Trengrove's form is much weaker than Watts 's or Greens form earlier in the Season when they were dropped.

You don't know what you are talking about. Neeld has been at pains to point out Trengove is either 1, 2 or 3 in the pressure stats, tackles and work rate. His GPS numbers are 30% higher than last year.

He's not playing well but its not because of effort.

I think you are looking at a comparison with Watts and green superficially.

The biggest "cultural change" Neeld is trying to implement is to put bodies in the field that can withstand the pressure and rigours of the AFL contest.

Why do we produce so many turnovers?

I don't think it is that our players lack skill inherently - to be able to take the field at this level they have a high degree of skill but what robs you of skill is lack of relative strength and fatigue.

Neeld is trying to address this by pushing the players to a higher level of fitness and by building bigger bodies in the gym. He also drafted stronger bodies in 2011 as a short term fix.

Hopefully we start to see some dividends next year but he is trying to build from the bottom - no jokes, I know that's where we are.

That is why talk of ditching the bloke is way too premature.

Trengrove's form is much weaker than Watts 's or Greens form earlier in the Season when they were dropped.

Please try harder next time not to do this again.

Is anyone actually diputing his form is less than desired ? He's been a bit better of late,to this humble, observer , but he seems constricted.

Demotion to the two's for a skipper, in my eyes, has always been a way of basically saying 'You've lost the captaincy.' I think let Trenners finish the year and then make him vice captain to Jack Grimes. After a bit of a shaky start, Grimey (see I used the Simpsons nickname?) has grown into the role while Trenners looks like he is carrying the Great Southern Stand on his shoulders.

Which is just another way to tell him you have lost the captaincy :)

JT hasn't had a great year, but it hasn't been any more shocking than a lot of our players, I think MN mentioned that as Jnrmac has pointed out he is leading a lot of the pressure stats, tackles etc... (He is 3rd in overall disposals at the club. Grimes and Jones ahead of him) It most seems like he he is almost trying too hard in these areas and not being able to free himself up for the uncontested possessions. MN also commented that JT is a very intense person, so I imagine that he would be trying super hard to follow the gameplan to the letter, perhaps a little to the detriment of his game, but I can't see the captaincy being taken from him in 2013.

He does look a little slower this year than last, but David Misson must have each player on a different physical plan, perhaps they are trying to get a lot of work into his legs and engine, and as such he is struggling for a little pace. If it persisted beyond 2012 then perhaps we might have something to be concerned about.

Is anyone actually diputing his form is less than desired ? He's been a bit better of late,to this humble, observer , but he seems constricted.

His stats are down on 2011, but yeah I agree, I reckon he was looking better in the last month or so..... He got up to take a pretty decent mark against port the other weekend (sure that's only one event) but if he had OP or something like that, I don't think he would be going for marks over the top ....

He is struggling at the moment (whether that's due to the captaincy, fitness, game plan or a combination) but mark my words he will be an absolute gun a couple of years time with some maturity and more miles in his legs. He is great overhead, can kick a goal, has strength through the hips/core, does the 1%ers and even while struggling can still get the footy etc I see him as a Bartel type player and think he can get to that level with a few more years experience.

• Like 2

Trengove had his worst ever game on the weekend.

Thanks to this captaincy noose around his next, he doesn't have the luxury to find form in the vfl

I was wondering what it was that had caused him to slow down a bit. So it's that pesky © that appears next to his name on the team sheet.

Interesting bit of insight.

Trengove had his worst ever game on the weekend.

Thanks to this captaincy noose around his next, he doesn't have the luxury to find form in the vfl

I'm sorry, worst ever game? based on what indicator? Because looking purely from a statistical view it is very similar to how this season has gone. 17 possessions, 6 tackles (He even got a hit out this week!) I know stats aren't everything, but trying to use absolutes like "worst game ever" just grinds me.

Incidentally, I don't think he would necessarily find form in the VFL, he is still playing a lot better week in and week out than several other mids/players in the side. Only thing that he might get out of the VFL is a close fought come from behind victory, which Casey seems to be doing a lot lately.

I was wondering what it was that had caused him to slow down a bit. So it's that pesky © that appears next to his name on the team sheet.

Interesting bit of insight.

It's making him slightly lean to the right I think RR

It's making him slightly lean to the right I think RR

actually he does look more chubby on the right and the left side

some other poster mentioned it too but his legs do look over developed for his body

has he bulked up too quick at the expense of his speed?

Surely the FD wouldn't be sacrificing his form this year to get him cherry ripe for next year!

Edited by PaulRB