What's wrong with Ricky Petterd?

Dee_Flower

Petterd has had a number of injuries which have impacted his ability to string games together. Obviously that makes it difficult to show any consistent form or improvement. The real question I have is his attitude. Watching him at Casey (or the the G) he just doesn't seem to be enjoying his football. Is it a clash with Neeld and Co.? Is he struggling to get his head around the training demands? We'll probably never know.

• Like 2

Pettard has played four games this season - and done nothing.

Nohing more than a passenger now - trade him, but what would we get?

Pettard has played four games this season - and done nothing.

Nohing more than a passenger now - trade him, but what would we get?

If he's a passenger who has done nothing in his four games at the third bottom club ... haven't you just answered your own question?

• Like 1

Guest José Mourinho

Take away the odd speccy and Petterd is just an average player with a poor kicking action.

If you're going to make it as a mid-sized forward you've got to be very good. He's not.

It was seen as blasphemy when I nominated him as expendable last season.

As a mid-sized forward, he is behind Jurrah, Howe, Watts, Sylvia, Green when all fit.

He's about on par with Dunn and Bate too, although roles might differ.

But it's a position a lot of players are capable of playing.

I think you can sum up Petterd with a simple question:

What is he good at?

It was seen as blasphemy when I nominated him as expendable last season.

As a mid-sized forward, he is behind Jurrah, Howe, Watts, Sylvia, Green when all fit.

He's about on par with Dunn and Bate too, although roles might differ.

But it's a position a lot of players are capable of playing.

I think you can sum up Petterd with a simple question:

What is he good at?

He's a good mark. Can kick the odd goal. That's about it.

The arrival of Howe - a player of similar height and marking ability but with more strings to his bow - made him redundant.

Petterd is a good mark, but at his height 182cms, we need more aerobic capacity. 2nd efforts? run & chase ?? hunger for the footy?? not evident.

Delist or trade if right options

Suggestion 1 - Petterd & pick #45 from MFC to Sydney for Brett Meredith OR

Suggestion 2 - Petterd & pick #45 from MFC to Suns for Josh Toy

Seemed to be a likely one to kick on. I dont think the injuries helped at all.

In the end if you cant break into this weak line up and cement a spot....well .............. :unsure:

Guest José Mourinho

Howe is a much MUCH better mark than Petterd.

Honest appraisal of Petterd:

- very athletic

- average kicking

- hard at the contest (when he's in the mood)

- erratic form

- has been good as a defensive forward at times in the past

- looked good as a HBF/wing in first season but doesn't really have the skill or defensive inclination to play there

- at AFL level is very much a "vanilla" midifielder

- not sure of his fitness levels (i.e. average, but not close to elite tank)

- as a HFF he is not bad, but there are a lot better

I just don't think he has enough setting him apart from a lot of other players.

He has no elite properties besides his athleticism, but I don't think he uses it well enough often enough.

• Like 1

card marked me thinks

Petterd is a good mark, but at his height 182cms, we need more aerobic capacity. 2nd efforts? run & chase ?? hunger for the footy?? not evident.

Delist or trade if right options

Suggestion 1 - Petterd & pick #45 from MFC to Sydney for Brett Meredith OR

Suggestion 2 - Petterd & pick #45 from MFC to Suns for Josh Toy

more a case of seeing who bites if shopped around...and go from there

Sad. I remember his finish to '09 and his start to 2010. I had high hopes.

You certainly werent alone.

Thats footy !!

What is he good at?

He WAS pretty skillful.

He USED to be hard working.

He USED to be passionate.

He WAS courageous.

He CAN take a speckie.

He CAN kick a goal.

He looks like he just doesn't want to be out there for us, I still think back to that Collingwood game (which will go down as his most influential game for the club) and I remember how gutted he was. Then he got injured and was being courted by GC, but he signed with us and we were all so happy.

Now he can't even crack into a side that is decimated by injury everywhere on the ground, but especially in the forward line. It's just sad.

Edited by Pates
  • Like 1

Poorest ball drop of any Melbourne player I can ever recall, including Bruce. Shanahan and Ingerson were probably better.

Petterd is a victim of genetics like countless Melbourne players before. Not big enough to be a KPP. Not quick or agile enough to play a crumbing role, nor the tank to run through the middle.

Combine that with an under resourced footy department with NFI where he should be played and you'll wind up with a tweener with obvious talents but unable to utilise them consistently.

See M Bate and L Dunn for further examples.

• Like 2

Ricky's form sums up our year. Full of promise with a hint of hope for something really good and ..........Bugger all!

I really like Ricky and his good form is good enough but If I were his manager I would be suggesting he leaves for his own sake. Someone will pick him up for nothing and he will pull his finger out and start kicking goals and we will wonder why we let him go. But I just can't see him in our team in 2013 and that's saying a lot considering we suck,

He's not a Catalyst, he's a Responder. At least at this point in his career.

Being an emotion driven type IMO, he's feels flatter than others when the clubs struggling.

But when the teams get a hint of form, he'll be away. Big game type.

Say no more. De-list.

He's not one I'd move on. I'll be disappointed if we do.

We've seen what he's got but we haven't been able to get the environment conducive to regular exciting footy. Can you imagine how Steve Johnston would have gone on his own @ Melbourne over the last 3 years?

• Like 2

Guest José Mourinho

He's not a Catalyst, he's a Responder. At least at this point in his career.

Being an emotion driven type IMO, he's feels flatter than others when the clubs struggling.

But when the teams get a hint of form, he'll be away. Big game type.

I reckon you just described a downhill skiier...

I've got a slightly different suggestion.

He's clearly struggling in his current role. I know he's played most of his MFC career across half forward but in the early stages of his career he was played across half back and did really well. I remember his first game against the Swans where he regularly ran back with the flight in front of Barry Hall showing immense courage. I know most of you will say "but he can't kick!" but I honestly don't think he's that bad. Yes he kicks helicopters, he always has, but when he first started they did go straight. I also recall Voss commentating one of his earlier games and mentioned he worked with him in the juniors and he was always a fantastic kick. He's played the defensive forward role, he just needs to do the same except not worry about kicking goals.

His position up forward has been taken by Howe who's got more tricks and more fitness, hence why he's struggled for a game this year. If I was Neeld I'd sit Ricky down and say "Look mate, you've got the rest of the season on the HBF to prove to me that you've got something to offer the footy club. I think you've got all the tools to succeed and I apologise for not giving you a shot in the position earlier. If you perform well then great, but if not, we'll have to consider moving you on as we're not getting the best out of you."

Edited by adsy
  • Like 1

I've got a slightly different suggestion.

He's clearly struggling in his current role. I know he's played most of his MFC career across half forward but in the early stages of his career he was played across half back and did really well. I remember his first game against the Swans where he regularly ran back with the flight in front of Barry Hall showing immense courage. I know most of you will say "but he can't kick!" but I honestly don't think he's that bad. Yes he kicks helicopters, he always has, but when he first started they did go straight. I also recall Voss commentating one of his earlier games and mentioned he worked with him in the juniors and he was always a fantastic kick. He's played the defensive forward role, he just needs to do the same except not worry about kicking goals.

His position up forward has been taken by Howe who's got more tricks and more fitness, hence why he's struggled for a game this year. If I was Neeld I'd sit Ricky down and say "Look mate, you've got the rest of the season on the HBF to prove to me that you've got something to offer the footy club. I think you've got all the tools to succeed and I apologise for not giving you a shot in the position earlier. If you perform well then great, but if not, we'll have to consider moving you on as we're not getting the best out of you."

... as you're not getting the best out of yourself."

I reckon you just described a downhill skiier...

Well thats your opinion.. What I'm talking about is a bit like an artist, more than a front runner.

We're talking about what motivates a persons output. And many are different. I think your showing your narrow experience.

I like the challenge of getting different types of people to function well.

The average norm is a bit boring to work with. Crack the whip and go. Like a dog sled.

• Like 1

Add to the scrap heap that is

Morton

Bate

Bennell

or simply everyone including me seriously over rated him. His application and hunger for the contest has been seriously lacking.

thats been an endemic problem this year

plus Dunn, Jetta, Moloney, J.McDonald, plus about 3 more at the end of the year