The Couch Situation

stuie

This gets discussed a fair bit every week in the team changes thread etc, but I thought we should open a discussion about the Couch situation.

What's going on here? Has anyone been to one of the information nights and asked or heard someone ask what the deal is?

My understanding is that he doesn't need to be re-elevated to play, but why was he elevated in the first place (before the season) if he was not going to even get a shot?

Neeld and Co. must have seen something in him to elevate him in the first place, yet with all the injuries and out of form midfielders we have, Tom is still tucked away at Casey and being named among the best most weeks.

We're yet to really blood a lot of the young and/or new talent despite 10 goal losses most weeks and 0 chance of finals.... Why?

In a year of "experimenting" and development, we seem to be playing it very conservative in this case.

Guest KingDingAling

I dont know whats going on, but the kids been sitting on my bench in the supercoach most the year

and with trades dwindling - I urge Mark Neeld to pull his finger out and give him a run, before my side goes under!

• Like 2

I would guess that what they saw in him preseason hasn't come to fruition - some "KPI" that he hasn't met despite being regularly named amongst the better players at Casey.

I don't know what that KPI is but it must be something that MN holds as important.

Odd that they would pull the trigger on upgrading him to the primary list and not give him a game, especially considering his form early in the season for Casey. Would be an interesting question to put to Neeld.

They said they would elevate rookies that were in the mix for selection. Couch was obviously in the mix early in the year before he got injured.

It's not surprising he hasn't been picked since he had that injury. Casey has had nearly as many byes as games lately and Couch's form hasn't been as good. There is no "situation" as far as I can tell.

I just reckon with a midfield that already consists of Moloney, Magner, Trengove, McKenzie and Jones they don't see the value in playing another one paced player, and if any of the above have missed, they've taken that opportunity to bring in runners like Blease, Bennell and Bail.

He'll get his shot, it's just a matter of when.

They said they would elevate rookies that were in the mix for selection. Couch was obviously in the mix early in the year before he got injured.

If they did say that, it would explain it a little for me, because normally rookie listed players would only be elevated when they were going to play that weekend. But the fact he was elevated before Round 1, strung 4 or 5 excellent performances together at Casey while Melbourne were getting spanked everywhere in the first few rounds and still couldn't crack a game, is still a bit odd.

Guest José Mourinho

I'm guessing Couch and Magner were vying for the same role / spot.

And we also have a lot of similar types to him, even if they don't always fill the same role, they probably fill all the roles he is seen as suitable for.

Moloney, Magner, Jones, Trengove.

I'd have any of those 4 in front of Couch.

Even Moloney.

I'm guessing Couch and Magner were vying for the same role / spot.

And we also have a lot of similar types to him, even if they don't always fill the same role, they probably fill all the roles he is seen as suitable for.

Moloney, Magner, Jones, Trengove.

I'd have any of those 4 in front of Couch.

Even Moloney.

Yep spot on.

I was down the club the other day and Tom's father Paul said that Tom was competing with Magner for a spot. Said he was very disappointed that Tom wasnt getting a game, but is still excited/hopeful that he might.

Yep spot on.

I was down the club the other day and Tom's father Paul said that Tom was competing with Magner for a spot. Said he was very disappointed that Tom wasnt getting a game, but is still excited/hopeful that he might.

That makes sense to me as well.

I reckon we'll probably see more of him next year

Yep spot on.

Case Closed.

I would guess that what they saw in him preseason hasn't come to fruition - some "KPI" that he hasn't met despite being regularly named amongst the better players at Casey.

I don't know what that KPI is but it must be something that MN holds as important.

He getting too much of it to make it into the seniors.

• Like 1

Magner started well but to me he has gone down hill and couch should get his chance soon.

He should not be put in a box and told its you or Magner.

He could replace Bate as a strong mid and Moloney has been the worst mid in the demons team in a long time.

I hope it's not that silly that he can only push out Magner when Moloney,Magner,Bate,Trengove have all had bad seasons.

Something smells funny to me.

The rookie list has to be cut by 2 next year.

Nicholson, Evans, Magner, Couch, Lawrence, Sheahan, Williams.

Nicholson is elevate and Evans, Magner, Sheahan and Williams are retains. Lawrence probably delist.

Couch should get a run to see whether he's worth retaining, otherwise see Fisher and Valenti.

Magner started well but to me he has gone down hill and couch should get his chance soon.

He should not be put in a box and told its you or Magner.

He could replace Bate as a strong mid and Moloney has been the worst mid in the demons team in a long time.

I hope it's not that silly that he can only push out Magner when Moloney,Magner,Bate,Trengove have all had bad seasons.

Something smells funny to me.

I agree with this. Moloney in particular must be holding on by a thin thread at the moment.

Trengove has a been a serious disappointment so far this year.

Guest Jackie

I'd like to see some guts at selection and finally give Trengove a rest to sort out any issues that may have dogged his onfield performances. And give Couch his spot. No one could be as slow, lethargic and ineffective as Trengove has been all season and he is still playing. So much for all the tough talk by Neeld.

• Like 1

I'd like to see some guts at selection and finally give Trengove a rest to sort out any issues that may have dogged his onfield performances. And give Couch his spot. No one could be as slow, lethargic and ineffective as Trengove has been all season and he is still playing. So much for all the tough talk by Neeld.

Yes I would agree that Trengove looks like he's knackered and could use a break, I'm not sure Couch would be the next choice in to replace him though as they are different players.

Couch has been a frustrating case, but look at how the selectors have gone this year, a lot of of experience when possible. I feel that they are no longer gifting games to young players, they have to set a standard before they get in. And while there's plenty of argument for blooding players (which we have done in the past), I'm liking the fact that the young blokes have to earn their stripes.

I'm confident that by the end of the year Couch, Cook, Tynan, and Davis will have at least a game or two under their belts. Just a taste to get them really wanting it for 2013.

• Like 1

Yep spot on.

I was down the club the other day and Toms father Paul said that Tom was competing with Magner for a spot. Said he was very disappointed that Tom wasnt getting a game, but is still excited/hopeful that he might.

The thought going through my mind was that perhaps Couch was elevated as a form of risk management in the event that Magner didn't work out.

• Like 1

Guest José Mourinho

Yeah, I also reckon we should drop our co-captain who is leading the internal 1%er ratings, for a bloke that likely won't even be retained as a rookie next year.

What is Neeld doing?!

Maybe this thread should be titled "The Coach Situation"!

Guest Jackie

Yeah, I also reckon we should drop our co-captain who is leading the internal 1%er ratings, for a bloke that likely won't even be retained as a rookie next year.

What is Neeld doing?!

Maybe this thread should be titled "The Coach Situation"!

Players who have a dip but move like a wet sponge can be had by the dozen. These never were's can be found in every minor league. They can walk into our side and offer just as much if not more just for the opportunity. Too bad our highly paid co-captain is currently one of them.

Edited by Jackie

I understand what people are saying about similar types, but our mix can't be that good if we're getting smashed every week can it?

Surely it's worth finding out what would happen with Couch in if we're really having a year of "experimenting" as Neeld says, I mean geez Rivers and Garland are now pretty much permanent forwards!!

Also, don't go bagging Trenners guys, the problem is not effort, it's obvious something isn't 100% right yet he's still finding a way to contribute, even though it's not too the expectations of what most of us would have thought for this year, I have no doubt at all he'll smash it next year once he's all sorted.

People seem to forget that along with the new gameplan and structures that we're all excited about, players are playing completely different roles to previous years, and in some cases (Magner) they're playing different roles compared to the start of the year, so expectations need to be adjusted a little.

I was a big 'get couch in there' all year but we have pushed our uncontested possessions from 150 to 210 in the last 5 weeks and so the lack of spread of mids is less of a concern and we have done quite well in the stoppages and contested possessions of late.

All that means we probably won't see Couch for a while but he should have had a shot by now.