Just how good will Nic Naitanui become?

Range Rover

He's a dud. If he didnt play in patches people would realise that he's a dud. He has no football brain and can only run and jump, nothing else. His handball inboard when he had the free man across the ground on the last quarter, which consequently led to a Pies dangerous fwd 50 entry and score again underlines y is is overhyped. Just an athlete, not a footballer

Football followers annoy me in that a bloke like Naitanui plays a blinder last week and he is a superstar and he is the best ruckman since Polly Farmer, and then the next week he is quiet and he is deemed a complete dud. Everyone seems to make knee-jerk comments to a team's or player's last game. The truth, as it is most of the time in footy, is somewhere in the middle. Just wait for the week long [censored] fest over Michael Hurley kicking 6 over at Subi tonight.

• Like 2

Football followers annoy me in that a bloke like Naitanui plays a blinder last week and he is a superstar and he is the best ruckman since Polly Farmer, and then the next week he is quiet and he is deemed a complete dud. Everyone seems to make knee-jerk comments to a team's or player's last game. The truth, as it is most of the time in footy, is somewhere in the middle. Just wait for the week long [censored] fest over Michael Hurley kicking 6 over at Subi tonight.

Who deems him a 'complete dud'? You? Bobby McKenzie? The guy had an off night in a season where he has been very good thus far.

That's the only 'truth' that needs to be understood here.

You have been seduced by his athletisism, which is understandable. The stuff he does is exciting and it's great that he can use his physical attributes to his advantage- but that's all he has going for him. He has grunt, a leap and second efforts. He has no football brain and [censored] skills.

I'd take football brain over athletisism anyday. See Watson.

I am reserving judgement on NicNat. At the moment he is a freak athlete with poor skills and little understanding of the game. He is able to impact games in bursts simply because of his physical presence. Obviously the hope is that he will develop the skills and the instinct for the game that so many of the greats have, and if he manages to do this he will in time be a legend of the game. However, we have seen a number of freak athletes taken on the assumption that they will grow into freak footballers, and they often fail to fire. Look at O'Hailpin or our own Stef Martin. Setanta was eventually moved on and is now with GWS where he will struggle to get back into the side. Martin is very much like NicNat in that he is able to impose a physical presence on a game but nobody knows what he is going to do with the ball, including him.

I really do hope that Nick manages to get his head around the game and the skills, because if he does he will be a once in a generation player, but as it stands he has a long way to go.

One side saying he has a bad night

Others saying he had an normal night......

Which one is it? i definitely think it was closer to his average than last week

Spot on JT. Have a look at his stats week by week and realise that last week was a flash in the pan. Playing in a strong team too with plenty of support that Jack Watts doesn't have at present. I do admire RR unswerving loyalty to NicNat though.

Who deems him a 'complete dud'? You? Bobby McKenzie? The guy had an off night in a season where he has been very good thus far.

Hey RR! Where did I say he was a complete dud? Just because you and a few others overrate him doesn't make him a dud. He's a good honest trier.

Edited by Bobby McKenzie

What? I am sticking up for him. I am agreeing he has had a decent season. I am saying I don't think he is the superstar he is painted as after a big game, and he is definitely not the dud some people on here are suggesting after a quiet game. As I said, the truth is in the middle.

Edited by Forest Demon
  • Like 1

What? I am sticking up for him. I am agreeing he has had a decent season. I am saying I don't think he is the superstar he is painted as after a big game, and he is definitely not the dud some people on here are suggesting after a quiet game. As I said, the truth is in the middle.

Everything is black and white in football if you believe forum speak. Dud or star. Brilliant or terrible coach. Fast or slow. Exciting or boring. Craves success, or accepts mediocrity.

I've got a permanent lump on my forehead from bashing my head against the desk while reading these forums.

• Like 5

Luke Darcy may be a [censored] of the highest order, but one of his frequent comments is that "things are never as good as they seem and they're never as bad as they seem." Too true. If only he'd follow his own advice and stop calling people "Elite" all the time.
  • Like 2

He's a 21yo ruckman with extraordinary athletic capabilities who has gotten a lot better this year and shown that he is capable of best on ground performances (ie. last week).

He is not a superstar ... yet. But he will be. That's all I'm saying.

This thread will be bumped during the finals.

You have been seduced by his athletisism, which is understandable. The stuff he does is exciting and it's great that he can use his physical attributes to his advantage- but that's all he has going for him. He has grunt, a leap and second efforts. He has no football brain and [censored] skills.

I'd take football brain over athletisism anyday. See Watson.

I bet if you asked any coach in the AFL who they'd want firing in a big final out of those two players ... ALL of them would say Naitanui.

I bet if you asked any coach in the AFL who they'd want firing in a big final out of those two players ... ALL of them would say Naitanui.

Definitely debatable, Jobe Watsons best is best in the league and match winning, he can carry a team on his back, having 40 touches, 2 goals, 6 tackles, at his very best, give me that in a final ahead of anything

Definitely debatable, Jobe Watsons best is best in the league and match winning, he can carry a team on his back, having 40 touches, 2 goals, 6 tackles, at his very best, give me that in a final ahead of anything

Excellent player. In my Dreamteam. But can he go toe-to-toe in the Bomber midfield with Swan, Pendles and Beams ... or Mitchell, Sewell and Hodge?

Freo midfield is B-grade.

Excellent player. In my Dreamteam. But can he go toe-to-toe in the Bomber midfield with Swan, Pendles and Beams ... or Mitchell, Sewell and Hodge?

Freo midfield is B-grade.

On a player-for-player basis Watson is as good as anyone. Obviously he's not helped by the rest of the Essendon midfield being pox and that's why they're second tier compared to Collingwood et al, but make no mistake: he's a genuine star.

Wow, that is a big call.

Agree with this, Natanui doesn't touch it enough, where as Watson can turn the tide of a game himself.

Oh, can we please continue talking about a player from another team?

So much fun...

But haven't you heard? Someone said they have it on good authority that we are offering up Jack Watts and our first two picks for Natanui, so we have to talk about him!

Just watched the replay of the the eagles - pies game and one stat that was interesting was that Nicnat did not get one brownlow vote last year. At the moment he is very much a highlight player. Does some great things and then will run around like a headless chook for a bit. Think he will end up a very very good player. Love watching him.

He's a 21yo ruckman with extraordinary athletic capabilities who has gotten a lot better this year and shown that he is capable of best on ground performances (ie. last week).

He is not a superstar ... yet. But he will be. That's all I'm saying.

This thread will be bumped during the finals.

RR, Did you happen to notice a guy called Watts today? Compare his skills to NN. As different as chalk and cheese. One is a champion footballer the other a high leaping athlete. You really should be singing the praises for Jack. After all he is one of us.