Mark Neeld's Spray on Morton.

dazzledavey36

Whether Morton is ever going to be a good footballer or not is almost immaterial. I'm not surprised that a journo would have a look at D'land if they were putting a story together on someone like Morton or Watts. As high draft picks, the story is about them not living up to their potential rather than, in the case of low draft picks, exceeding expectations eg Howe, Magner. Nothing surprising there at all. I suspect everyone knows that there has been a fair bit of deserved criticism from the supporters.

My issue was that:

Are the best interests of the footy club served by our coach, on match day, being publicly seen to deliver a rocket to a player?

I was uncomfortable last year when a premiership-winning coach (Malthouse) did the same thing to a young-ish player (Simon Buckley) and I'm more uncomfortable with a first year senior coach doing the same thing. It's just wrong and (I'm filled with dread to use the term) makes MN just look like a schoolyard bully. Where's the consistency when other players did exactly the same thing in the game but didn't receive the same rocket. I've long been a critic of Morton but, up to the clanger, I thought he was one of or best. He tackled, he chased, he ran both ways.

The other question is would the story have been written without the spray and has this improved Morton's chance of minimizing his areas of concern. Only time will tell, I guess

you do wonder however as to whether the pulse in the real footy world ( npi ) is that Morton has yet to fire ...or are they going by our collective sentiments?

A bit chicken and egg almost

we must remember...we are viewed as a rather infiormed supporter site. Thats the goss anyhows

Anyone else think we are too soft in backing our players in public?

Mahoney's response was luke warm at best. Say what you want about him, but can't imagine a strong figure such as Sheedy coming out with a limp response.

Say what you want behind closed doors but could we not at least try and defend our players in such articles.

Anyone else think we are too soft in backing our players in public?

Mahoney's response was luke warm at best. Say what you want about him, but can't imagine a strong figure such as Sheedy coming out with a limp response.

Say what you want behind closed doors but could we not at least try and defend our players in such articles.

I agree. If MFC is unable or unwilling to defend the player, we'd be better off simply saying that individual player performances are not going to be discussed outside the club and if we didn't think a player was delivering what was asked of him, he wouldn't be playing for the Dees. Surely, that's a true statement.

I have no problem whatsoever if a player gets a spray. Invariaby theyve earnt it. They can shove rockets up their bums and strap jets to their arms...make them wlk on coals for all i really care.

Think though.. what transpired. .. Was Morton being picked on.. ? No.. He was tasked with a job, that was/is to folow instructions, the coach's instructions. You dont dothis, you will cop it. He obviously failed to do this and it would seem its somethingthat had been previously highlighted to him (as a shortcoming, error etc ) and he hadnt heeded the good advice of his boss. erto...a right royal bollocking was in order........and delivered........and we move on.

Not all players will survive this remodellign of the club. that just IS. I sense Cale will be one ( that doesnt ) And you know what I couldnt really care a toss as all players are just a part of a bigger picture...the TEAM...our team and if it isnt working properly I want the club to exercise every ability in rectifying in.

I just want an able and competitive team , ultimatelly successfyul but dont care whos wearing the jumpers in order to achieve this. Why actually does it matter.

it seems the club has invested much time, patience and resources ( let alone money ) into Cale and its just not gelling. I have no personalanimisityat all towards Cale. He has skills, he has talent, he just doensnt seem to be at teh level and ability required to fulfil the requirements of a team member of a SUCCESSFUL Melbourne. So he either becomes one or is replaced. Simple isnt it.

Time wise...surely he must be close to exhausting his time credits.

actually

"One fan commented yesterday that he had played well against the Pies ''apart from the bit where I had to throw the TV out the window''."

It's further down the article and there's no actual reference that it did in fact come from Demonland. To a reader of The Age, it could have come from any supporter anywhere. It's just an illustration of supporter's divided loyalties to Morton.

I'm still not sure why quoting Demonland is bad journalism. Are we that disapproving of our own site? It's probably the best and most intelligent supporter site going.

Edited by maurie

It's further down the article and there's no actual reference that it did in fact come from Demonland. To a reader of The Age, it could have come from any supporter anywhere. It's just an illustration of supporter's divided loyalties to Morton.

I'm still not sure why quoting Demonland is bad journalism. Are we that disapproving of our own site? It's probably the best and most intelligent supporter site going.

We are not disapproving of 'our' site but the opinion on any player is very divided, the journo, if you can actually use that phrase these days, will usually in all probability pick the 'bad' first, it sells more newspapers

Probably trawled through the site coz he had writers block, or poor imagination, you pick which one, and thought there is an easy target,

What do want Josh Mahoney to say...."he is a complete spud of a list clogger, should never be picked again", I would be horrified if he did.

Cale Morton has to answer to the Club, he will know exactly where he stands today

The fact that he was booed off, by Melbourne supporters, disgusted me

Edited by satyricon

On first viewing i thought it was a spray, but on repeat viewing, i didn't think it was that bad. A spray is face to face yelling where the recipient cops a literal spray of foaming mouth....

A coach shouldn't be coaching if he can't tell his players off for not following (or executing) instructions. In this situation MN just happened to be on the bench, and the media loves to make a big deal of things so all cameras would have been ready. I'm sure there are many times where this sort of thing has happened between coaches and players on the bench and the cameras wouldn't have caught it. What about all those other times where MN has lost it in the coaches box. I'm sure if he was on the bench he would have done the same to whoever the offending player was.

I'll admit i've been a Morton-knocker for a while now, but I agree he has shown signs of improving this year, and as i've said before, MN obviously sees something in him, to keep him in the side. Hopefully for the sake of the club, he keeps improving, and I look forward to cheering him on to the bench after he has put some solid effort and heart into the contest and earned his rest.

I thought it was pretty obvious, otherwise it would have been completely out of sync with the structure of his article. It came from Robbie57 on the 75th post on this thread.

And I think Demonland is a great site, as I posted - you get more insight on here than you get from the best 'journos' at the Hun and Age.

But therein lies the problem - we are not evidence in any article - we have no stature as we are anonymous. We are just an amorphous group of posters that decide to post our thoughts on here.

Forums shouldn't be news.

Cale Morton has been improving this year. Unfortunately the clanger on the MCC side of the ground undid most of that good work.

Can we depend on Cale Morton going forward?

If he did the same in September would you be still waiting for his talents to shine through??

Big Decisions from the coach on CM's place in the side. Clangers like that kill the team. You cannot hide from that.

I think the solution is already at hand. You get the wobbles and fluff , youre game getting shakey then ifs a gig in the magoos to sort it out and get your mojo back.

What I would've much preferred is if Hanlon chose to wrote an article on the non-performing Colin Sylvia and directly quoted some of the offerings in the thread "Thanks Colin But See you Later".

Now that would've been much more entertaining ... and justified.

• Like 1

What I would've much preferred is if Hanlon chose to wrote an article on the non-performing Colin Sylvia and directly quoted some of the offerings in the thread "Thanks Colin But See you Later".

Now that would've been much more entertaining ... and justified.

But Colin was doing his assigned job on Harry. This weeks criticism of Sylvia is unwarranted IMO

Then we'll have to agree to disagree then. It's not the forum that's news, it's the views posted on it, even if they are anonymous or hidden behind user names. They're still valid and diverse views of Demon supporters, or are you denying that too? A major theme of Hanlon's Morton article was the divided opinion on Morton after five years, and Hanlon was quoting a valid source i.e. Demons supporters here.

We can get insulated and forget there's a forumless world beyond. The fact that you identified the quoted post as #75 is neither here nor there if you are a reader of the Age who doesn't ever visit Demonland.

But therein lies the problem - we are not evidence in any article - we have no stature as we are anonymous. We are just an amorphous group of posters that decide to post our thoughts on here.

i think a supporter website is a great place to air news. It is what the supporters and members think. Be it right or wrong.

Being Anonymous gives it more cred as people say what they really think without fear.

21st century communication.

I am glad we get read. At least it is well known we care for this old and great club.

I'm still not sure why quoting Demonland is bad journalism.

It isn't.

It's an example of a reporter using modern technology to inform himself and his readers.

I really enjoyed the article and it was using this site to demonstrate the division among supporters about Cale. Could hardly have been more apt. It was not adopting any of our opinions, simply noting that we are split on Cale's value or prospects.

Some people (rpfc included apparently) aren't happy unless they're miserable and whingeing is their way of life.

Edited by pitmaster

Then we'll have to agree to disagree then. It's not the forum that's news, it's the views posted on it, even if they are anonymous or hidden behind user names. They're still valid and diverse views of Demon supporters, or are you denying that too? A major theme of Hanlon's Morton article was the divided opinion on Morton after five years, and Hanlon was quoting a valid source i.e. Demons supporters here.

We can get insulated and forget there's a forumless world beyond. The fact that you identified the quoted post as #75 is neither here nor there if you are a reader of the Age who doesn't ever visit Demonland.

Anonymous forum quibblings are not 'news' Maurie. Get real!

What if Hanlon had decided to go with "Magner Is Melbourne's Biggest Liability" as a story idea instead? Purely because 'Gotzy15' got a rush of blood after a big loss to Collingwood. Not having a go at Gotzy as I've been there and done that type of thing myself. It's just that it's the stuff of anonymous supporter footy forums.

It 'aint for printed public consumption. At least not by any respectable newspaper.

And did Hanlon really present a balanced piece showing the "divided opinion on Morton" by Melbourne supporters? Hardly. Seemed more like a hatchet job to me presenting overwhelmingly the negative and the sensational ('throwing the TV out the window' etc).

Where was the counterbalancing quote in favour by Jose Mourinho, or the controlled potting of JnrMac?? lol

Anonymous forum quibblings are not 'news' Maurie. Get real!

What if Hanlon had decided to go with "Magner Is Melbourne's Biggest Liability" as a story idea instead? Purely because 'Gotzy15' got a rush of blood after a big loss to Collingwood. Not having a go at Gotzy as I've been there and done that type of thing myself. It's just that it's the stuff of anonymous supporter footy forums.

It 'aint for printed public consumption. At least not by any respectable newspaper.

And did Hanlon really present a balanced piece showing the "divided opinion on Morton" by Melbourne supporters? Hardly. Seemed more like a hatchet job to me presenting overwhelmingly the negative and the sensational ('throwing the TV out the window' etc).

Where was the counterbalancing quote in favour by Jose Mourinho, or the controlled potting of JnrMac?? lol

But the "Magner" thread is quite balanced RR as long as you read it all.

It actually makes Gotzy look like a bit of a goose so i have no problem with forums being used as a reference...as long as they are used as just that. A good journalist reports the news of others, not his own opinions which i think Hanlon has done here pretty well.

It isn't.

It's an example of a reporter using modern technology to inform himself and his readers.

I really enjoyed the article and it was using this site to demonstrate the division among supporters about Cale. Could hardly have been more apt. It was not adopting any of our opinions, simply noting that we are split on Cale's value or prospects.

Some people (rpfc included apparently) aren't happy unless they're miserable and whingeing is their way of life.

Miserable and whingeing...

Posters on here cannot decide on my personality, can they?

I run the gamut on descriptions of me on this place...

I am miserable with the state of journalism. I am whingeing that it is getting worse.

Footy journalism has reached a new low of recent times where the majority of news stories derive out of what another journalist has said. The Echo Chamber...

And now we have a article on the views of Melbourne Supporters with regard to Cale Morton. Mention the divided opinion on supporter sites, mention the fact that we jeered the kid as he came off, but go and talk to someone in the crowd if you want an opinion. Call up Dave Schwarz. PM Whispering Jack and ask him for his full name and his opinion.

This is not about rpfc being a whingeing MFC supporter - I think I have shown that I am anything but - it is about journalism and how this is an example, a small one albeit, of how it has sunk.

• Like 2

I thoght the throwing the tv bit was avery amusing lighthearted comment on what is obviously a divisive issue for Demon supporters.

I suppose no player has ever made a mistake in the pressure of a match nor received a spray from the coach coz so many think this is unusual

I must have been at too many matches and watched too much footy and I cant remember the perfect game played by anyone. \Its the mistakes; How you handle them, how you learn from them and how you develop from them thats more important.

Wether Morton reads this or the article is probably less important than how he develops from it

I saw him do some good things some ordinary things some hopeless things He wasnt alone. Why and How these acts occurred will need some reflection but he needs to concentrate on the good things and keep them coming

I have been ambivalent on Morton and others but Crikey Id love to see the bloke play to his max more often coz I too reckon he just might have it.

• Like 1

Hanlon could have gone alot harder on Morton (if was a Herald Sun journo) but it didn't, I thought it was a reasonable article.

At the time, you would think that a 17 year old player who was is States (WA) best player for that year, standing at 192cm and touted as a bloke with a massive engine and skills would be a gun by now. But alas, poor development and just his innate ability to undo his good work with some shocking decisions in the space of 5 mins of play his downfall and costly one at that. I've seen it transpire over the last 5 years, its not getting any better, its not getting any worse. Put him up for a trade and see what you get for him. At 22, he's still has some upside, its just whether MFC/or a new club can bring that out him. The young fella is certainly at the crossroads,