New recruiting manager

Will be interesting to see when Taylor's contract finishes. Am I right in thinking most AFL contracts expire October 31 or is that just players? As the draft isn't until November we could still use him on draft day if that were the case.

Just coz he isnt working directly for us yet dosnt mean he wont feed us his insight. Im sure he is still investigating all the young players and will give the MFC the heads up and his opinions on things.

It's perfectly understandable that the Pies don't want Taylor crossing to MFC ahead of this draft. This is an area where current intellectual property is key - Taylor will already have access to all Collingwood's IP on this year's draft - and would bring that with him to Melbourne. That's way more valuable even than assistant coaches bringing gameplan knowledge. Over Eddie's dead body will he be with us before draft day.

• Like 1

Here's an idea - tell Eddie to GAGF.

I'd have no hesitation when he's being unreasonable - but in this case his position is completely understandable.

Yeah, I'm sure he wouldn't hesitate if the footy boot was on the other foot. Eddie, he's all nice and reasonable until he doesn't get his way then it's all bets are off and he starts sooking like a toddler.

Right so we should start sooking like a toddler?

Not sure if it has been mentioned previously in other threads, but did anyone see the twet from Emma Quayle the other week about this draft not having the great depth as originally thought, but the top handful were of the highest quality?

Regardless of who is boss of recruiting, our ladder position will be the most important factor going in to this year's draft. If we can get away with not needing to use our first pick on Jack Viney, we will be in a better position, especially if The Queen of the Draft © is accurate about the depth not being as great as first thought.

• Like 1

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/nathan-buckley-open-to-matt-rendell-joining-pies/story-e6frf9jf-1226375568879

It's the first I've heard of a "new, full-time recruiting technology co-ordinator". Not entirely sure what the job is about but the more money spent on recruiting the better.

Very keen for the Rendell deal to get done promptly and Taylor to be headed this way a lot sooner than November.

So according to that article Taylor is "rumoured" to be contracted to the Pies til November 1. Pretty stupid of them considering the draft is only a few weeks later which means he can walk to us before the 2012 draft. They might as well just let him go now.

• Like 1

So according to that article Taylor is "rumoured" to be contracted to the Pies til November 1. Pretty stupid of them considering the draft is only a few weeks later which means he can walk to us before the 2012 draft. They might as well just let him go now.

Never let common sense get in the way of Eddie's ego.

Guest José Mourinho

It does mount a case for us to hope Collingwood lands Rendell.

As said at the function last night, we are putting a lot of work into getting these picks right.

I know it has been mentioned elsewhere, specifically what Viney said about favouring another KPF (hello Mason Shaw) and boosting our midfield, and when briefly assessing the states I believe he said that WA mainly had a handful of elite talents (Shaw from WA).

He also mentioned one of my personal favourites, the currently injured Lachie Plowman.

Injured at the moment, a key defender who could play midfield, and I think would be Stevie J-like up forward.

And most importantly a dees supporter (ok, not most important, but I like the romanticism).

But Viney said he would be rated top 5, 10.

This is a bit higher than I would have thought, but I really hope we can get him at pick 12.

It does mount a case for us to hope Collingwood lands Rendell.

As said at the function last night, we are putting a lot of work into getting these picks right.

I know it has been mentioned elsewhere, specifically what Viney said about favouring another KPF (hello Mason Shaw) and boosting our midfield, and when briefly assessing the states I believe he said that WA mainly had a handful of elite talents (Shaw from WA).

He also mentioned one of my personal favourites, the currently injured Lachie Plowman.

Injured at the moment, a key defender who could play midfield, and I think would be Stevie J-like up forward.

And most importantly a dees supporter (ok, not most important, but I like the romanticism).

But Viney said he would be rated top 5, 10.

This is a bit higher than I would have thought, but I really hope we can get him at pick 12.

As far as I understand it we can't use ( or be forced to use ) a compensation pick on jack? I could be wrong ?

Edited by Daz's Dee's

Guest José Mourinho

As far as I understand it we can't use ( or be forced to use ) a compensation pick on jack? I could be wrong ?

I believe you are correct.

As for the comment about Taylor being released, I think that person is requesting for that to happen.

Recruiting technology officer = smart move having someone full time available to collate all the data. Think about how much data you get of potential recruits - hours of game film, interviews, statistics, profiles and so on.

Oh and great news that Taylor's contract finishes on November 1. Note to the Melbourne footy club to make sure their recruiting contracts run until after the rookie draft so you don't have someone potentially working for you all year then leaving 3 weeks before the time all his work comes to fruition.

Any lawyers capable of saying whether if Taylor doesn't get released until Nov 1 whether we can use his insight for our draft, considering all his knowledge will have been obtained from working at Collingwood. How would Collingwood prove he used IP anyway. Tough one. I hope common sense prevails and they release him ASAP, even if he can't impact this draft he's already got detailed knowledge about who Collingwood are keeping an eye on for next years draft and would be stockpiling knowledge about what Collingwood will be doing with their listed players for the next few years.

There is a commet under the article saying the pies have already released Taylor?

I believe you are correct.

As for the comment about Taylor being released, I think that person is requesting for that to happen.

Yes, and it was a sarcastic comment aswell...

Can we stop referencing Comments from the Hun.

It's akin to adding footnotes on what the crazy lady outside the housing flats said about requiring bus money home when she clearly, clearly lives there.

• Like 2

Not sure if it has been mentioned previously in other threads, but did anyone see the twet from Emma Quayle the other week about this draft not having the great depth as originally thought, but the top handful were of the highest quality?

Regardless of who is boss of recruiting, our ladder position will be the most important factor going in to this year's draft. If we can get away with not needing to use our first pick on Jack Viney, we will be in a better position, especially if The Queen of the Draft © is accurate about the depth not being as great as first thought.

Anyone got anything on this comment? Or is it too disappointing for people to think that this may not be the superdraft that they are expecting where we get a star at every pick up to pick 103?

Anyone got anything on this comment? Or is it too disappointing for people to think that this may not be the superdraft that they are expecting where we get a star at every pick up to pick 103?

It's the Teenage Lottery Draft of the AFL © where even in the SuperDraft of 2001 © those picked 10 to 20 were more miss than hit (Sam Power, Richard Cole, Ashley Watson, Barry Brooks, Rick Ladson, Shane Harvey, and Daniel Elstone).

My point is I think most of us realise past the first 5 or 6 picks it is a minefield of unfulfilled dreams and awaiting nightmares.

No need to drum it in.

It's the Teenage Lottery Draft of the AFL © where even in the SuperDraft of 2001 © those picked 10 to 20 were more miss than hit (Sam Power, Richard Cole, Ashley Watson, Barry Brooks, Rick Ladson, Shane Harvey, and Daniel Elstone).

My point is I think most of us realise past the first 5 or 6 picks it is a minefield of unfulfilled dreams and awaiting nightmares.

No need to drum it in.

My point is that having a gun head of recruiting is no more important this year as it has been in the last 25. In actual fact, our 3 x 1st round draft picks this year are potentially going to be quite easy, given that we will most likely (but hopefully not have to) take Viney with our first pick.

I'm not drumming it in, I'm just trying to inform people that the so called superdraft may not be as super as some hoped (as reported by the girl that everyone hangs on to every word she speaks about drafting). But hey, we wouldn't be Melbourne supporters if we didn't build up unrealistic expectations on our later picks would we?!

My point is that having a gun head of recruiting is no more important this year as it has been in the last 25. In actual fact, our 3 x 1st round draft picks this year are potentially going to be quite easy, given that we will most likely (but hopefully not have to) take Viney with our first pick.

I'm not drumming it in, I'm just trying to inform people that the so called superdraft may not be as super as some hoped (as reported by the girl that everyone hangs on to every word she speaks about drafting). But hey, we wouldn't be Melbourne supporters if we didn't build up unrealistic expectations on our later picks would we?!

And we wouldn't Melbourne supporters if we weren't suspicious of a supposedly good hand in the draft...

I don't know where we will finish, so it might be moot - but the odd situation of getting Collingwood's second in charge three weeks before the draft would be handy...

What a stubborn idiot Eddie can be...

"I am not letting you go. You will stay here and use our resources to formulate a list of players that we will scout and help develop that list into a recruiting strategy and three weeks before the draft when your contract is up and you know exactly what we are looking for and like you can go."

Yeah, and WE get criticised for this farce?! It's not our farce! We brought a farce on them, and it's their farce!

The farce is not with us!

• Like 1

And we wouldn't Melbourne supporters if we weren't suspicious of a supposedly good hand in the draft...

I don't know where we will finish, so it might be moot - but the odd situation of getting Collingwood's second in charge three weeks before the draft would be handy...

What a stubborn idiot Eddie can be...

"I am not letting you go. You will stay here and use our resources to formulate a list of players that we will scout and help develop that list into a recruiting strategy and three weeks before the draft when your contract is up and you know exactly what we are looking for and like you can go."

Yeah, and WE get criticised for this farce?! It's not our farce! We brought a farce on them, and it's their farce!

The farce is not with us!

RP - I'm interested in your thoughts about this bloke. I have read a number of posts on this thread talking about getting the best guy we can, and there are more than a few who believe this guy is it, yet he's 2nd best at Collingwood. I would be of the view if we want to get the best we can, then we start with the best and work our way back. Same as players at trade time - no one is out of reach until we have exhaisted every possible avenue to get them.

Or maybe E'd wants to stop him doing our scouting & seeks to get some of our draft info.

If he gets Rendell and holds Taylor til November, it could be a nuisance.

RP - I'm interested in your thoughts about this bloke. I have read a number of posts on this thread talking about getting the best guy we can, and there are more than a few who believe this guy is it, yet he's 2nd best at Collingwood. I would be of the view if we want to get the best we can, then we start with the best and work our way back. Same as players at trade time - no one is out of reach until we have exhaisted every possible avenue to get them.

Maybe we did inquire about Derek Hine and we were rebuffed? I don't know.

I think it is a little unfair to say that it's Hine or bust or the head bloke at the Cats or bust. Taylor would know how one of the best run clubs in the country do their recruitment and judging by Eddie's recalcitrance, is a valued member of the organisation.

And as I intimated when talking about Viney in the role - it is hardly something that a learned footy person cannot jump into - thie role is not the one out there with the camera - they are the one facilitating the recruiters and aiding the judgment of prospective players - it's a management role.