James Sellar (calf) - test

James Strauss (leg) - test

Josh Tynan (foot) - 2 weeks

Leigh Williams (virus) - 3 weeks

Jordan Gysberts (jaw) - 3-5 weeks

Michael Evans (back) - indefinite

Neville Jetta (ankle) - indefinite

Max Gawn (knee) - season

After looking at that list my conclusion is we can hardly blame injuries at present for our results.

I was thinking exactly the same thing, old dee.

Gys would be the only one I would at this stage have in my top 25.

Keen for Strauss to get back on the park and firing. He's one - probably the only one - on that list that should really be pushing for a spot in the seniors. Other than Sellar who is difficult to get too enthused about.

Even though it has no impact at all on our footy fortunes, I'm really glad to see Williams is back on the radar after his virus of the brain. Can only imagine how horrifically scary that must have been.

Still seething about Gysberts' injury.

• Like 2

Keen for Strauss to get back on the park and firing. He's one - probably the only one - on that list that should really be pushing for a spot in the seniors. Other than Sellar who is difficult to get too enthused about.

Even though it has no impact at all on our footy fortunes, I'm really glad to see Williams is back on the radar after his virus of the brain. Can only imagine how horrifically scary that must have been.

Still seething about Gysberts' injury.

I agree Nasher but really is Strauss going to make a dramatic difference to us winning or not?

I am amazed he is even this close.

When it happened last year I thought 2012 was a write off for him.

Why are you seething about Gysberts?

Injuries happen and his form prior to the injuries was poor, from my memory he was dropped to Casey because he was not playing well.

Edited by old dee

I agree Nasher but really is Strauss going to make a dramatic difference to us winning or not?

Injuries happen and his form prior to the injuries was poor, from my memory he was dropped to Casey because he was not playing well.

He's not going to impact our winning or not, but I think he'll be a good player and pressure on the players in the side is a good thing.

I'm seething about Gysberts because I think he'll be an important player in our side so I'm impatient about his development, and he got injured in his first game back so it's yet another setback. I know these things happen and so forth, but that one just annoyed me.

• Like 1

He's not going to impact our winning or not, but I think he'll be a good player and pressure on the players in the side is a good thing.

I'm seething about Gysberts because I think he'll be an important player in our side so I'm impatient about his development, and he got injured in his first game back. I know these things happen and so forth, but that one just annoyed me.

OK

I guess I just take the view that there will be injuries and I hope they are as few as possible.

At present I see our injury list as short and it is not having a major influence on our results

At present I see our injury list as short and it is not having a major influence on our results

Not directly, but the fact that we've only been able to get:

0 games into Cook

2 into Fitzpatrick

4 into Gawn

6 into Blease

11 into Strauss

18 into Gysberts

19 into Tapscott

30 into Jetta

38 into Grimes

Is one of the reasons for delayed development.

Edited by maurie
  • Like 3

Not directly, but the fact that we've only been able to get:

0 games into Cook

2 into Fitzpatrick

4 into Gawn

6 into Blease

11 into Strauss

18 into Gysberts

19 into Tapscott

30 into Jetta

38 into Grimes

Is one of the reasons for delayed development.

Maurie other clubs have similar stories, take Hawthorn they have lost more ruckman in the last 5 years than the other clubs put together

But they keep on keeping on.

Right now our injury list is looking ok, I will stay with my comment

jesus we are full strength, that is scary

on the other hand, there are about 3 blokes in the side that would actually hurt us if they got injured, the rest are useless anyway

I thought you gave the MFC up?

Guest José Mourinho

jesus we are full strength, that is scary

That is to say, none of them are injured an unable to play.

Being match-fit and finding touch is another thing.

Any word on Viney?

Strauss can do that thing were you hit a team mate by foot.So can Watts ,Jurrah , Tapscott ,Blease . No wonder Casey are winning.
  • Like 1

Maurie other clubs have similar stories, take Hawthorn they have lost more ruckman in the last 5 years than the other clubs put together

But they keep on keeping on.

Right now our injury list is looking ok, I will stay with my comment

I was making the point that protracted injuries don't just hurt you for the time players are injured, especially with young players ... they hurt you because their development is also hindered. It's different with a 100- or 200-game player because they have developed nearly as much as they are going to and they can come in from even a 6-8 week injury spell and still be nearly as effective.

Here's the actual games each player has played versus the total AFL games that Melbourne have played since they joined the club (not counting NAB etc.). It shows how little AFL football they've played, due to a combination of injury and development time. Six of these players were top 20 picks, some are players on which we were basing our future midfield, the area that is so lacking at the moment.

Cook 0/29 (0%)

Fitzpatrick 2/51 (4%)

Gawn 4/51 (8%)

Blease 6/73 (8%)

Strauss 11/73 (15%)

Gysberts 18/51 (36%)

Tapscott 19/51 (38%)

Jetta 30/73 (40%)

Grimes 38/95 (40%)

Contrast Blease and Strauss with players taken in the same year (2009) and the number of games they've played e.g. Stephen Hill 74, Sidebottom 66, Rich 66, Redden 54, Yarran 49, Hurley 47, Vickery 45. Many of these players have already had finals experience. If our players had managed 50+ games with a couple of finals we might be in a different position.

• Like 3

Michael Evans (back) - indefinite

Max Gawn (knee) - season

Jordan Gysberts (jaw) - 3-5 weeks

Neville Jetta (ankle) - indefinite

James Sellar (calf) - test

James Strauss (leg) - test

Josh Tynan (foot) - 2 weeks

Leigh Williams (virus) - 3 weeks

Would suggest only Gysberts, Strauss & maybe Gawn are starts in our best.

I would have seen Watts, Green, Martin, Jurrah & Blease there as well. though for a variety of reasons, none were there last week.

This week, who knows ??

Has there been an explanation as to why Jetta's ankle injury is indefinite? It might have been posted previously but, if so, I've missed it. I don't understand why the recovery period hasn't been stated. It must be very severe.

It would be nice to see Evans, Gys, Jetta, Strauss and Tynan fit and training. Learning the Neeld way and putting everyone on notice that there are other options if you don't perform. Hard to develop players when they aren't on the track.

I was making the point that protracted injuries don't just hurt you for the time players are injured, especially with young players ... they hurt you because their development is also hindered. It's different with a 100- or 200-game player because they have developed nearly as much as they are going to and they can come in from even a 6-8 week injury spell and still be nearly as effective.

Here's the actual games each player has played versus the total AFL games that Melbourne have played since they joined the club (not counting NAB etc.). It shows how little AFL football they've played, due to a combination of injury and development time. Six of these players were top 20 picks, some are players on which we were basing our future midfield, the area that is so lacking at the moment.

Cook 0/29 (0%)

Fitzpatrick 2/51 (4%)

Gawn 4/51 (8%)

Blease 6/73 (8%)

Strauss 11/73 (15%)

Gysberts 18/51 (36%)

Tapscott 19/51 (38%)

Jetta 30/73 (40%)

Grimes 38/95 (40%)

Contrast Blease and Strauss with players taken in the same year (2009) and the number of games they've played e.g. Stephen Hill 74, Sidebottom 66, Rich 66, Redden 54, Yarran 49, Hurley 47, Vickery 45. Many of these players have already had finals experience. If our players had managed 50+ games with a couple of finals we might be in a different position.

I don't disagree with your basic suggestion maurie.

I was just making the comment that right now we have a low number of injured players.

I still think we cannot blame injuries for being 0-7 at present.

As a side light are we very unlucky to have all those injuries to this group or did we pick a bunch of crocks?

I still think we cannot blame injuries for being 0-7 at present.

It's still an interesting hypothetical though how much better off we'd be if Grimes had played 80 games, Jetta, Blease and Strauss 60, Gysberts, Gawn and Tapscott 45, and Cook and Fitzpatrick 20 or so.