More top ten picks will not be our salvation

The OP is off the mark. High draft picks are an essential ingredient to success ... IF you get them right.

And remember, we still haven't technically 'used' our number 1 draft pick from 2009 owing to his defection.

God help us if we don't get it right in November.

Viney + 2 midfield guns + a 10-year, tall key defender is what we need.

Not all picks have to be high for success. I don't want to but I will mention Jack Darling and throw in Richard Tambling at the other end as proof.I Agree about the players we need to draft but can't we bring a key back instead of drafting young lad and waiting 5 years for him to put on some Kg's like Lucas cook? If we screw this draft up we are cooked for a few years. Look at the tigers who are into their second rebuild I know they have won some games but not in september yet. All i'm trying to get across is if we do finish bottom 3 I am not going to put my feet up and wait for the flag in a few years because we have more top 20 picks.

Edited by cowboy_from_hell

remind me again....especially the bit about dominating....................

Hi DC as you know I was airborn friday night.

How did my mate go?

I looked up the statts, had 4 terrific kicks I see.

Can someone please tell me why we keep picking this serial offending D grader?

Then again I suppose Bennell had 10 mates on Friday night

Edited by old dee

I did not see the match wd but I am told he did not make the distance from 30 meters out. What gives there?

Do you remember Maric and his first kick for goal? Well this was equally as bad and very embarrassing.

Do you remember Maric and his first kick for goal? Well this was equally as bad and very embarrassing.

At least Maric was not the captain.

Not a good look for a captain I would think RobbieF

When do we leave for Paris?

Two days back and I am already struggling.

Only Joking with that last line.

I am actually quite calm and relaxed about our impending death by a thousand cuts.

Life goes on and most of it more important than the MFC

At least Maric was not the captain.

Not a good look for a captain I would think RobbieF

When do we leave for Paris?

Two days back and I am already struggling.

Only Joking with that last line.

I am actually quite calm and relaxed about our impending death by a thousand cuts.

Life goes on and most of it more important than the MFC

15th July we are off.

True aout Maric; I wanted to crawl under the seat when Trenners miss kicked it, he froze and it wasn't a good look, I really believe the pressure of leading a club that has had so much bad stuff going on is getting to him. He and Grimes are only a shadow of their true selves, they are much better than that and I reckon the club has blundered, we all wanted them to be Captain but I reckon we all got it wrong.

Jones and Clark are probably the two that should be the leaders, I reckon they would handle it better and that the other two would be relieved to have the pressure off.

Im looking to the end of seasons trade and draft circus to deliver something which is possibly a little bit more abstract than simply the addition of new talent, new blood. I see it as a homolagaton of sorts in respect to the type of players required by Neeld to carry out his vision for a game style. Obviously there are glaring holes in our current crop.

Often its viewed that the addition of new talent is a top up of some exisitng ability. OUr 'ability' is especially dodgy at present. Theres no consistency through the cattle. Indeed were they actual cattle there'd be more thana handful looking to grace a dinner table or two.

So I ask.....why wont the purging of inadequacy be our Salvation ? I concede theres no guarantee ever that any pick will deliver but theybe picks out of the new regime, not legacy lethargic hangers on.

15th July we are off.

True aout Maric; I wanted to crawl under the seat when Trenners miss kicked it, he froze and it wasn't a good look, I really believe the pressure of leading a club that has had so much bad stuff going on is getting to him. He and Grimes are only a shadow of their true selves, they are much better than that and I reckon the club has blundered, we all wanted them to be Captain but I reckon we all got it wrong.

Jones and Clark are probably the two that should be the leaders, I reckon they would handle it better and that the other two would be relieved to have the pressure off.

I have not seen the last three games but from a small amount of vision, reading reports and opinions from friends it appears that most of the group is either in shock with zero confidence or not up to AFL standard.

From last year's games and the first four games I saw this year I believe the later.

I have little faith it can be changed quickly, draft picks take at best a couple of years even if we get the right ones.

And we have a poor record in that area.

Who in there right mind as an experienced player would choose to come to the MFC in the next few years?

I will keep on keeping on but I am loosing the will to attend games when we all know the only thing to be decided is the size of the loss.

Perhaps when we are winning games again my daughter might push me in my wheel chair to the G

We might be able to swap stories about the pain of supporting the Dees in the second decade of the 21st Century

I have not seen the last three games but from a small amount of vision, reading reports and opinions from friends it appears that most of the group is either in shock with zero confidence or not up to AFL standard.

From last year's games and the first four games I saw this year I believe the later.

I have little faith it can be changed quickly, draft picks take at best a couple of years even if we get the right ones.

And we have a poor record in that area.

Who in there right mind as an experienced player would choose to come to the MFC in the next few years?

I will keep on keeping on but I am loosing the will to attend games when we all know the only thing to be decided is the size of the loss.

Perhaps when we are winning games again my daughter might push me in my wheel chair to the G

We might be able to swap stories about the pain of supporting the Dees in the second decade of the 21st Century

We have a chance to get it right if we can recruit a couple of good midfielders and get a player or two in the PSD, I think if we can show we are on the right track by the end of the year then there's no reason why an experienced player wouldn't want to come to our club. If we can't show we are on the right track then it will be a bit more difficult to get an experienced recruit.

You and I know as well as anyone that we have had this rotten culture (for want of a better word) that has run through the club since we were young kids and unless we can get rid of it we are always going to fail. This is a chance to do that to get rid of the players that have carried the bad attitude through from one generation to the next and to finally rid the club of the loser mentality, a chance to get rid of those players that play for the money and not the club. There is no pride in saying you play for or support Melbourne and if we can't fix that we can't and will not succeed.

I'm off for 8 weeks weeks and there was a time when I wouldn't have had one week off during the season let alone eight, so you can see that I'm getting weary of it all.

• Like 1

15th July we are off.

They'll be fine when they come thru the other end. It might be tough now but it'll workout OK.

• Like 1

Guest José Mourinho

Do you REALLY think they'd be performing better without the captaincy?

I think the difference it would make is negligible.

Do you REALLY think they'd be performing better without the captaincy?

I think the difference it would make is negligible.

I generally say what I mean, so when I said that I meant it. Do you post just to try to have an argument ever time? Get over yourself.

Guest José Mourinho

I generally say what I mean, so when I said that I meant it. Do you post just to try to have an argument ever time? Get over yourself.

Haha I could say the same about you.

Trengove is clearly carrying some sort of injury.

Grimes has been Grimes.

Any notion of the captaincy holding those 2 back, is purely in your head.

• Like 1

Because he had two games at Casey where he was close to BOG, lots of disposals etc., and was doing everything that was asked of him.

Because he had two games at Casey where he was close to BOG, lots of disposals etc., and was doing everything that was asked of him.

Well he slipped right back into his normal mode on Friday night.

The guy is not an AFL level player

He has been gifted a lot of senior level games for probably 5 good ones.

All of which are now 2 years ago.

Sad reflection on our player stocks.

remind me again....especially the bit about dominating....................

Valenti was stiffed - in his last game, he was bog against North to half time, inexpicably replaced ( he still got 1 Brownlow vote !) & then dropped the next week.. Another great Bailey decision.

Not all picks have to be high for success. I don't want to but I will mention Jack Darling and throw in Richard Tambling at the other end as proof.I Agree about the players we need to draft but can't we bring a key back instead of drafting young lad and waiting 5 years for him to put on some Kg's like Lucas cook? If we screw this draft up we are cooked for a few years. Look at the tigers who are into their second rebuild I know they have won some games but not in september yet. All i'm trying to get across is if we do finish bottom 3 I am not going to put my feet up and wait for the flag in a few years because we have more top 20 picks.

The problem is we have not found one A-grader with our picks.

I am confident that Watts, Trengove & Grimes will become very good players, but we have also used first & second round picks on the likes of Morton, Strauss, Blease, Cook, Gysberts, Tapscott, Maric for whom the jury is still out. Not to mention Fitzpatrick, Bennell, Jetta, Cheney

I dion't know if it's development, opportunity or just the wrong picks

Hi DC as you know I was airborn friday night.

How did my mate go?

I looked up the statts, had 4 terrific kicks I see.

Then again I suppose Bennell had 10 mates on Friday night

to be honest old dee i didn't even notice if he was playing

if he got 4 disposals then i must have missed them

but he wasn't on his own in that regard with all the upgraded casey players finding it hard to find the pill

Whatever happens will happen. From my perspective I just do not want to hear ‘ if we win this game we will drop in the draft order’. To be frank I do not care, I want to win now. Furthermore sometimes dropping the draft order is not a bad thing, I think we need more players who have had to work their guts out to make it to AFL, because they bring a hunger that some of our touted picks seem to be lacking.

to be honest old dee i didn't even notice if he was playing

if he got 4 disposals then i must have missed them

but he wasn't on his own in that regard with all the upgraded casey players finding it hard to find the pill

That probably says it all DC!

Agree that top ten picks aren't the answer but at 0 & 7 what is the point in winning meaningless games?

The lower we finish the better chance we have of using our 2nd pick for Viney rather than our first. We need to be smart about it.

Agree that top ten picks aren't the answer but at 0 & 7 what is the point in winning meaningless games?

The lower we finish the better chance we have of using our 2nd pick for Viney rather than our first. We need to be smart about it.

Sorry but I could not disagree with you more.

The MFC has to start winning games.

There are sponsors and Fans that need to see some joy in winning or come 2013 the member base will be 20 000 and the likes of Opel will be long gone.

We need some hope no matter how small it is in 2012

We have been down your suggested path for the last four years

What do we have to show Last on the ladder with poor playing stocks.

it is the direction of Disaster.

Winning a few games is vital IMO

• Like 1

Sorry but I could not disagree with you more.

The MFC has to start winning games.

There are sponsors and Fans that need to see some joy in winning or come 2013 the member base will be 20 000 and the likes of Opel will be long gone.

We need some hope no matter how small it is in 2012

We have been down your suggested path for the last four years

What do we have to show Last on the ladder with poor playing stocks.

it is the direction of Disaster.

Winning a few games is vital IMO

WELL SAID O.D.

No game to this club is meaningless. We need to win often. So sponsors and members keep giving $$$

The Jim Stynes honeymoon is over. Jim is a total legend, but the board he left in place is definately on notice. 0-7 is not acceptable.

Guest José Mourinho

Really, with the quality and depth of the draft, we'd have almost as good a chance of unearthing a gun at pick 23, as with pick 4.

The real difference will come down to development.

Guest Jackie

If we go down the hair brained strategy of losing games to yet again recruit kids with unproven potential I will seriously consider ditching this club. Hasn't worked before and won't again. We have poisoned the minds of a generation of players to become losers and that's what we got now. I want to see pride, commitment and the will to win and any signs of this for the remainder of the season is infinitely more valuable than getting the next over hyped junior at the club at all costs.

And to who is doing the recruiting, just do your effing homework this time.

Guest José Mourinho

If we go down the hair brained strategy of losing games to yet again recruit kids with unproven potential I will seriously consider ditching this club. Hasn't worked before and won't again. We have poisoned the minds of a generation of players to become losers and that's what we got now. I want to see pride, commitment and the will to win and any signs of this for the remainder of the season is infinitely more valuable than getting the next over hyped junior at the club at all costs.

And to who is doing the recruiting, just do your effing homework this time.

What's really hare-brained is thinking that we were that bad on purpose and we had a choice.

I don't think any coach at MFC has ever said to the players he doesn't want to see pride, commitment or "the will to win."

Also ignoring the part development has played in our recruits disappointing output to date.

Edited by José Mourinho