Everyone Stand Up And Applaud Mark Neeld

Range Rover

Who said anything about perfection ? We are nowhere near a pass mark , forget about perfection .

I fail to see how my questioning Neeld's gameplan converts to me expecting to win a flag . I'm not alone in questioning this gameplan .

Is there any other team out there playing a similar style of play to ours ? We're 18th on the ladder with a woeful percentage .

You're responding to a point I didn't make, which was about the difference between listening and putting into practice, not about being perfect or otherwise.

Though you're also hanging onto your assumption that Neeld's game plan isn't working, when it has already been pointed out here, (and also in comments from the players and Neeld himself) that you're not seeing Neeld's game plan.

This is an interesting topic of conversation.

Neeld spoke big over the preseason and has built expectations that the players do not seem to be capable of delivering. The focus will turn to him if the club does not start winning very soon (at the moment the focus is still a lot on the players).

I would hope he is working on a compromised game plan for this week because something is no right. Either the gameplan is too basic (potentially), the players do not have the right make up to deliver on it currently (potentially) or more likely a combination of both.

Guest José Mourinho

Ah well he's clearly happy with Mark Neeld and what he's doing for the club, unless you're being sarcastic

Yeah, I agree!

We should DEMAND a premiership by round 15!

Nothing less is ACCEPTABLE!

I you disagree, you are only ACCEPTING MEDIOCRITYTM!

• Like 2

Either would I actually. I think he's trying but the game looks to have passed him by. I hope he can turn it around but he hasn't fired a shot for 2 years now.

I must be one of the few who thought Davey looked OK on Friday night. Tore through the midfield on a few occasions. I think sometimes supporters get frustrated when he can't mark overhead but usually it's the fault of his teammates who floats it over his head and allows someone 15cm+ taller to come in and spoil. Bail did this a couple of times. The best we've played was in 2010 when Davey was dissecting opposition structures with pinpoint passing off half back. I wish he'd stay there.

Also, our kick in strategies on Friday night were Auskick 101. Just appalling that it is bombed to Jamar every time. How dumb are we?

Though you're also hanging onto your assumption that Neeld's game plan isn't working, when it has already been pointed out here, (and also in comments from the players and Neeld himself) that you're not seeing Neeld's game plan.

The game plan isn't working .

If you believe our gameplan is working so well then why are we on the bottom of the ladder (18th) with a woeful percentage .

In case you didn't realise it bing , we're in the results industry here . Wins and losses .

Can you kindly explain how are wonderful gameplan is working so efficiently . Leave out any crystal ball or futuristic stuff . Just the cold hard facts thank you .

• Like 2

I cast my mind back to the early to mid ‘80’s. The push was on to get our favourite son, Ronald Dale Barassi back home where he belonged. He was to be the Messiah. Clearly a successful coach, with an uncompromising philosophy. His previous coaching stints were at clubs where a great deal of work had been done to instill a winning culture. He came from a club which made him, largely, into the man he became. He came from a culture that the great Norm Smith engendered into a club with a long and proud history. Simply, anything less than 100% commitment was not acceptable.

History now records that the prodigal son’s 5 year plan, at least on the face of it, was anything but successful. Some so-called sage commentators at the time, viewed Barasssi’s tenure as coach of the MFC as nothing more than an unmitigated disaster. Under his stewardship and football department, he brought in Kelvin Templeton, who was passed his prime. Anecdotally, it has been said that when Templeton knew the Dees were having a crack at him, he told the Scraggers, get what you can for me, because my knees are shot. We also had Peter Moore, who was a class act and won a Brownlow while playing in the Red and Blue. He was a beacon in what appeared to be a sea of playing mediocrity. Often a one man show, Moore’s ability and class simply was not complemented by what seemed to be a bunch of inept tyros. Nevertheless, Barassi was bold and was prepared to throw anything and everything at his ill-fated ‘5 year plan’ – ill-fated so it seemed. He and his team (Barry Richardson in particular) were the pioneers of the ‘Irish experiment’. Despite that, a pale, skinny bean pole of a kid was banished by Slug Jordan and he was sent to play reserves football with Prahran. We all no know what became of that story – legendary!!!!!!.

Under Barassi, the MFC would again suffer the ignominy of multiple wooden spoons.

Of course, in those days we had the under 19’s, which, along with the reserves, was to enjoy a modicum of success.

At the end of Barassi’s reign at Melbourne, it would seem his attempts to resurrect the Club were an abysmal failure.

Then along came John Northey. Swooper was uncompromising. A hard taskmaster who believed in the tenets of playing for the jumper, for your mates and would instill an ‘us against them’ mentality. His first year seemed to continue the mediocrity we endured under the Messiah. A bunch of no name kids were brought into to the team and it would seem we would continue to endure failure, as we had done for so long.

But Northey would transform this bunch of kids into a unit which fought every inch. Tooth and nail, they would graft wins. The football world at first saw this as an aberration, but for the first time, we, as supporters could puff out our chests and take pride in our footy team. Who can forget that day at Western Oval in 1987. My fondest memory is of the last training session before the 1988 Grand Final at the Junction Oval. A sea of red and blue. Thousands of supporters all with the same mantra. The late Stuart Spencer; our President addressing the assembled faithful. I was in football heaven, even though a few days later, we were flogged by what was then a record Grand Final winning margin. Still, it was bloody worth it.

As much as I love Swooper, what became evident was that RDB did indeed a leave his mark as coach. Despite the lack of success during his days as mentor and teacher, he left a culture which would endure for over a decade. Barassi managed to bring together a bunch of kids, who although unheralded at the time, would be come favourite sons of the MFC. Barassi did leave a legacy.

Of course, footy has changed and evolved remarkably since those heady days, but history still has a habit of repeating itself.

Maybe, just maybe, there is some real method in Mark Neeld’s perceived ‘madness’. Maybe, just like Ronald Dale, he will put a significant imprint on this bunch, which will be sustainable well into the future. I bloody hope so.

In the meantime, stay proud and strong Dees supporters. There are a few blokes who spilt their own blood for the red and the blue, who are no longer with us, and we at least owe that to them.

Go Dees

• Like 3

Guest José Mourinho

The game plan isn't working .

If you believe our gameplan is working so well then why are we on the bottom of the ladder (18th) with a woeful percentage .

In case you didn't realise it bing , we're in the results industry here . Wins and losses .

Can you kindly explain how are wonderful gameplan is working so efficiently . Leave out any crystal ball or futuristic stuff . Just the cold hard facts thank you .

It's not working as intended, but it would be foolish to expect it to after only 7 games, and considering the list Neeld has at his disposal to implement it.

• Like 2

It's not working as intended, but it would be foolish to expect it to after only 7 games, and considering the list Neeld has at his disposal to implement it.

Why foolish ? I've obviously got higher standards than you've got . You just keep carrying on accepting losses .

Did you make these same comments at the start of the season ? If so , in what thread ?

• Like 1

Guest José Mourinho

Why foolish ? I've obviously got higher standards than you've got . You just keep carrying on accepting losses .

Did you make these same comments at the start of the season ? If so , in what thread ?

It's about understanding the mammoth effort required to effect such drastic change.

I don't recall making the comments prior to the season, but I may have.

Don't think I would have bothered though, since this is so bloody obvious!

I'm quite frankly shocked that you have such unrealistic expectations.

edit: further to that, we were already a crap side last season - what exactly do you think has changed?

The coaching staff has changed - does that mean you think the only problem last season was the coaches, and everything else was ok?

Edited by José Mourinho

It's about understanding the mammoth effort required to effect such drastic change.

I don't recall making the comments prior to the season, but I may have.

Don't think I would have bothered though, since this is so bloody obvious!

I'm quite frankly shocked that you have such unrealistic expectations.

edit: further to that, we were already a crap side last season - what exactly do you think has changed?

The coaching staff has changed - does that mean you think the only problem last season was the coaches, and everything else was ok?

I doubt anyone on this site would have envisaged a game plan such as the one we're seeing . Nobody predicted this at the start of the season . Nobody .

It's all very well to talk in hindsight here . That stuff doesn't cut it with me .

I actually only have what I would call normal expectations . You need to lift your expectations . Be a bit more demanding . Neeld isn't going to read this and have a panic attack .

What's wrong with myself and may I suggest many more Demon fans , expecting better performances ?

To me it's just totally natural .

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

Guest José Mourinho

I doubt anyone on this site would have envisaged a game plan such as the one we're seeing . Nobody predicted this at the start of the season . Nobody .

It's all very well to talk in hindsight here . That stuff doesn't cut it with me .

I actually only have what I would call normal expectations . You need to lift your expectations . Be a bit more demanding . Neeld isn't going to read this and have a panic attack .

What's wrong with myself and may I suggest many more Demon fans , expecting better performances ?

How would anyone predict exactly what the gameplan would be?

And quite a few predicted ASPECTS of it, i.e. going along the boundary, contested footy.

I don't need to be more demanding.

Demanding things that won't realistically happen only leads to irrational disappointment.

I'm understanding of our current situation, and of what it will require to improve.

I understand what has come before, and what is likely to come in the near future.

I expect better, within reason.

And we've seen better at times, just many fail to recognise it.

How would anyone predict exactly what the gameplan would be?

And quite a few predicted ASPECTS of it, i.e. going along the boundary, contested footy.

I don't need to be more demanding.

Demanding things that won't realistically happen only leads to irrational disappointment.

I'm understanding of our current situation, and of what it will require to improve.

I understand what has come before, and what is likely to come in the near future.

I expect better, within reason.

And we've seen better at times, just many fail to recognise it.

You need to be more demanding , raise your expectations . Don't concern yourself with the disappointment that comes with it . That's life .

You're adopting a fail-safe attitude because you don't want to get let down . You might think you're tricking yourself but deep down you will still be as disappointed as the next person .

• Like 1

What do you envisage the game-plan to be ?

We are performing considerably worse, more consistently, then we did in Bailey's first 7 games. We have never really looked like winning this year. The Dogs and Saints games were always lost causes, because we could never really push ahead and win the extra ball.

That's strange, because, on paper, the team is considerably better that in 2008. By a mile. 2010 proved that.

More indicative of the playing group, Neeld, the club, or all?

You tell me.

Edited by Cudi_420

What do you envisage the game-plan to be ?

Read the entire thread Ben , you'll see it there . I'm not going to repeat myself .

I dragged out that "first half of the season" thread last night .

Just over 86% of Demonlanders predicted 4 or more wins in the 1st 11 games . 86% !

You and Jose need to tell all those people to have lower expectations . How many wins did you pick by the way ?

Edited by Macca

Guest José Mourinho

You need to be more demanding , raise your expectations . Don't concern yourself with the disappointment that comes with it . That's life .

You're adopting a fail-safe attitude because you don't want to get let down . You might think you're tricking yourself but deep down you will still be as disappointed as the next person .

That's not it at all.

I just don't waste energy expecting things that I understand are very unlikely to happen.

Why on earth would I EXPECT something, that I know is very unlikely?

I'd prefer to focus on improvement and the things that will contribute to making the club better in the long run.

Unrealistic expectations are not one of these things.

After all, wins are only a by-product of getting right all the processes and begin to execute more consistently on the field.

Wins will come as a natural end-result when we get those correct.

I shall applaud Neeld when it is deserved. Right now he has to work his guts off. "Head down Bum up"

I hope he is a long term coach. But sitting at 18th after 7 rounds is not a good start. But he is contracted for 3 years.

Many of our list will be made redundant at seasons end, that is when i begin to applaud.

I think its great that Neeld has the guts & Honesty to try to levvel our foundations before building his structures.

I for one certainly Do Not want Neeld, to build ontop of the wonky cultural foundations which support a Feeble Footy Club.

That's not it at all.

I just don't waste energy expecting things that I understand are very unlikely to happen.

Why on earth would I EXPECT something, that I know is very unlikely?

I'd prefer to focus on improvement and the things that will contribute to making the club better in the long run.

Unrealistic expectations are not one of these things.

After all, wins are only a by-product of getting right all the processes and begin to execute more consistently on the field.

Wins will come as a natural end-result when we get those correct.

We're never going to come close to agreeing .

I agree Macca By any measure to be last after seven rounds with an average loosing margin of 8+ goals

Is a bad result no matter who is at fault.

I did not expect to be 7 - 0 but I hoped we could have won a couple of games by now and that we could be competitive against most of the teams we have played.

Not sure how long as members we are supposed to keep coping seasons like the last five before we are allowed to complain.

I say enough is enough [censored] loud and clear.

Can it make us worse?

I saw on replay Our team out on the ground well after the Hawks game all smiles and congratulating the hawks on a great game.

Now that really pisses me off.

Shake their hand and get off the ground.

Does not appear there is much hurt in the Dees after another belting.

If the boot had been on the other foot would the Hawks be all smiles?

No they would be inside imediately planning the next encounter.

• Like 4

I think every player contract drawn up from now on should include "Strong Perforrmance Incentives" regardless of who the player is.

The players on our list do not deserve the same cash as a top 4 performing side.

No wonder they are all smiles after a game.

• Like 2

I think its great that Neeld has the guts & Honesty to try to levvel our foundations before building his structures.

I for one certainly Do Not want Neeld, to build ontop of the wonky cultural foundations which support a Feeble Footy Club.

Dee-luded DB Told us in 2008 we had to have a complete rebuild and that our players and game plan were crap.

He was just as honest ( if that is the word).

So lets not make out this is the first time we have heard that things have to change and that Neeld is the first honest person to coach the Dees.

I have no idea if he is a good coach at this point.

We are putting up such bad performances how the hell could you tell.

What I see is a large number of our players have never played so consistantly bad.

Not sure what that means but it is not a good look for a new coach at this point.

• Like 2

I agree Macca By any measure to be last after seven rounds with an average loosing margin of 8+ goals

Is a bad result no matter who is at fault.

I did not expect to be 7 - 0 but I hoped we could have won a couple of games by now and that we could be competitive against most of the teams we have played.

Not sure how long as members we are supposed to keep coping seasons like the last five before we are allowed to complain.

I say enough is enough [censored] loud and clear.

Can it make us worse?

I saw on replay Our team out on the ground well after the Hawks game all smiles and congratulating the hawks on a great game.

Now that really pisses me off.

Shake their hand and get off the ground.

Does not appear there is much hurt in the Dees after another belting.

If the boot had been on the other foot would the Hawks be all smiles?

No they would be inside imediately planning the next encounter.

I have to agree,there seems to be a acceptance of defeat here. I think it comes from a lack of older leaders teaching the young captains how to go about it.....It will come....

I thought we should have 1 definite win (Brisbane) and 4 50/50's (Richmond, Saints, Swans & Dogs). Anyone thinking we would have more than 4 wins was being wildly optimistic. Having said that I thought we could play finals considering our second half draw but thought we would definitely have to come home with a wet sail. That is obviously out of the question though I still think we can win more than a handful of games in the second half of the year though I'm just not sure it will benefit us at this stage.