Consider This

phoenix

That others are happy with it and support it is good. I just don't share that confidence that we got the best fit for our club.

The widely held perception, both outside and inside the club, was that we were "soft". So, we got the hardest coach going. Fair enough I would have thought, and no amount of "right game plans" would have dealt with the central problem.

Agree with some of the posts above - seems over-simplistic to assume that because we were seen to be following a Geelong-type game plan, that we should have got a coach from Geelong.

I also come back to one of my ongoing themes - we should give Neeld a year or two before we start talking about "Neeld game plan". Just feel that some are jumping to conclusions based on a few games. The Sylvia situation says more to me about Neeld than anything that's been going on on the field.

What are you on about, I was annswering "I Want a Flag" post regarding the candidates and followed it up with my opinion that at the time I would have preferred Hardwick and still do, maybe it's just the way I like my footy but I like honesty and hardness and see that in Hardwick

No No No.. Not criticising you.

I too, wanted a tough hard Coach. Again, I was hoping for Matthews I think.. Hardwick would have been finer to me as well.

My reference was to the fact that the past issues had a lot to do with the incumbent board at the time, & issues re Culture (onfield) & also our perennial Culture problem.

We perhaps should have had a meeting re the board at that time to sort that out before the season ended, put some knowlegable footy people in place to seek a Coach, without the previous boards input.

We might have ended up differently, but all the same we're repairing damage doner between '97/'98ish to around 2005/6...the damage was done.

we had to Clear the List and start again,, thats fine & Bailey helped.

Those that think we've wasted our time a wrong. The majority of our list is strong & will grow. They're talented but need to be taught, & hardened up.

No No No.. Not criticising you.

I too, wanted a tough hard Coach. Again, I was hoping for Matthews I think.. Hardwick would have been finer to me as well.

My reference was to the fact that the past issues had a lot to do with the incumbent board at the time, & issues re Culture (onfield) & also our perennial Culture problem.

We perhaps should have had a meeting re the board at that time to sort that out before the season ended, put some knowlegable footy people in place to seek a Coach, without the previous boards input.

We might have ended up differently, but all the same we're repairing damage doner between '97/'98ish to around 2005/6...the damage was done.

we had to Clear the List and start again,, thats fine & Bailey helped.

Those that think we've wasted our time a wrong. The majority of our list is strong & will grow. They're talented but need to be taught, & hardened up.

No worries agree entirely, I blame Danniher a bit but in his defence and have discussed this with some of the players he had no FD backing, no money and nothing really enticing to recruit proven players.

We will turn things around the off field changes will see to this but people need to be patient and I don't want to hear I have been patient waiting for 48 years we have had the new set up only 6 months and at least 2 pre seasons and regular games into these boys before consitent progression is seen

Clarification: This is in no way a criticism of Neeld, it is a critique of the management flip flop that has given us the laughing stock of the competition and consigned us to yet another rebuild.

Success for any coach is first and foremost a function of the quaility of players and nothing else. This post assmues all lists are equal.

Good players make good coaches - not the other way around..

As other posts have said recently, our list post-ND has been less than inspiring with a few excpetions. IMO the right people are at the helm now to get this sorted.

Im also a little concerned that adopting a collingwood game plan might not be the best option.

We don't have the collingwood gameplan. We're simply turning a weak side into a strong side. The gameplan will develop when our bodies and minds have.

If we can minimise injuries and get the likes of Gysberts, Tapscott(not sold yet) Blease, Strauss, Jurrah, Sylvia and Grimes to stay on the park for the last 15 rounds the year won't have been a complete waste.

We still need these young kids to develop on and off the field. We also desperately need some pace and talent in the middle, Drafts 2012 - 2013 are super important.

We don't have the collingwood gameplan. We're simply turning a weak side into a strong side. The gameplan will develop when our bodies and minds have.

If we can minimise injuries and get the likes of Gysberts, Tapscott(not sold yet) Blease, Strauss, Jurrah, Sylvia and Grimes to stay on the park for the last 15 rounds the year won't have been a complete waste.

We still need these young kids to develop on and off the field. We also desperately need some pace and talent in the middle, Drafts 2012 - 2013 are super important.

Agree 100% with that Roost.

What would concern me the most is if the coach, in this case Neeld has a strict adherence to a game plan. The game is changing at a pretty rapid rate and I would hope the coach has the flexabilty and strategic capability to not only cope with this but to in fact start to set the agenda and not just follow it. Get some basic fundamentals, players, fitness levels, development, skills etc in place and become leaders not followers, if we continue to follow we will always be one step behind. We were caught out by the press and I hope we are not adopting another outmoded game plan.

What would concern me the most is if the coach, in this case Neeld has a strict adherence to a game plan. The game is changing at a pretty rapid rate and I would hope the coach has the flexabilty and strategic capability to not only cope with this but to in fact start to set the agenda and not just follow it. Get some basic fundamentals, players, fitness levels, development, skills etc in place and become leaders not followers, if we continue to follow we will always be one step behind. We were caught out by the press and I hope we are not adopting another outmoded game plan.

Just quietly, I reckon Neeld is smart enough and experienced enough to have that one covered...