McGuire is impossible - Just a Grandstander

Harrisonrules

Normally I wouldn't watch EMT but naturally the mention of the MFC on the Agenda meant I couldn't help myself.

Fancy Eddie deciding to jump into Jimmy's shoes and save the Melbourne Football Club.

If he was genuine he would have spoken to our President and offered his services behind the scenes.

I felt insulted that he decided we couldn't do it on our own.

He 's just a grandstander for his own purposes. We saw it with the Jurrah interview. When it comes to something for Eddie, he'll be the first at the head of the queue.

• Like 1

The fact even Ed wants to helps says alot about the predicament we're in.

I watched it and am conflicted. On the one hand I feel a bit dirty having the Collingwood President pass the hat around on our behalf. On the other hand his connections in media and the corporate world are invaluable.

Some of it is posturing and ego no doubt, and his track record isn't great when it comes to looking out for the well-being of other clubs, but I do think he believes in the importance of the MFC for the competition.

If it results in getting a couple of big new sponsors on board, I don't really give a rat's.

Speaking of getting pillaged; we are going to get absolutely savaged by free agency due to the clubs financial situation and the total lack of appeal to leave the club (not to mention lack of appeal at even coming to the club).

• Like 1

Speaking of getting pillaged; we are going to get absolutely savaged by free agency due to the clubs financial situation and the total lack of appeal to leave the club (not to mention lack of appeal at even coming to the club).

Yes. I have grave concerns for all that right now. People are talking of another 5 or so years to get this list up to scratch. We don't have anything like that amount of time to wallow at the basement of the competition.

The first of the vultures has already smelt a victory & is circling.

We took 6 flags off the Filth, they would love to be the first in with a fresh blade. Make no mistake of that.

The CEO or President of our club had better make a strong statement today regarding this or it will be percieved by many we have raised the white flag.

I do not like this at all. 3 weeks after Jimmy passed and we have this mess....

McGuire has no interest in the MFC. Anything he says is grandstanding and putting himself and his club in the best light, such as his assertion that Collingwood "let" Melbourne have a home game every QB when it is our fixture requests to which Collingwood simply stays mute.

No doubt there will be a conga line of back slapping Collingwood supporters and journos saying "good on ya Ed!"

The point is that there is no need for McGuire to announce this publicly. If he could assist and was genuine he would shut-up. Such public announcements are really only going to add further pressure and destabilise the MFC, which IMO would be part of his real motive.

Edited by diesel
  • Like 3

Clearly it would be better for us if the AFL covered a temporary shortfall than charity organized by Eddie, but if the AFL won't come to the party what's wrong with Eddie's charity?

As much as you might think he is a publicity-seeking ego-maniac, who cares if big-noting himself makes him happy. Not taking his money sounds like cutting off your nose to spite your own face unless there are other reasons not to do so, ie. 'evil' intentions.

But I can't see how any 'evil' intentions he may have are furthered by having given us charity? If you think differently, please elaborate, I may be missing something here.

He may expect something 'evil' in return, but surely it's up to us to take his cash and then resist the 'evil'. If that looks too difficult, then it has to be weighed up against having a shortfall.

I'd never accept a handout directly from Eddie. I will however accept him using any influence he might have to assist in fixing the sponsorship mess, and it is an absolute mess. I don't buy into the barking at shadows stuff.

Yes we need the money. However, what does Eddie Everywhere's intervention say to the world? That our club and our admin are incapable of doing the business themselves. That we are second rate and need the likes of HIM to deal with the big boys. Perception is very important. As mentioned above EE is patronising and condescending and should keep out of our business.

• Like 1

Yes we need the money. However, what does Eddie Everywhere's intervention say to the world? That our club and our admin are incapable of doing the business themselves. That we are second rate and need the likes of HIM to deal with the big boys. Perception is very important. As mentioned above EE is patronising and condescending and should keep out of our business.

Bu what if we 'are incapable of doing the business ourselves'? That may be the case no matter how competent we ourselves are, so where'e the insult? Do flood ravaged victims say no to help because unusual circumstances are overwhelming? I'd say dropping Energywatch to save the reputation of the club and AFL is such an unusual overwhelming circumstance. (No matter how stupid it may have been to engage them originally - that's a separate argument, not relevant now.)

Bu what if we 'are incapable of doing the business ourselves'? That may be the case no matter how competent we ourselves are, so where'e the insult? Do flood ravaged victims say no to help because unusual circumstances are overwhelming? I'd say dropping Energywatch to save the reputation of the club and AFL is such an unusual overwhelming circumstance. (No matter how stupid it may have been to engage them originally - that's a separate argument, not relevant now.)

If we are incapable of doing business for ourselves it is time to shut up shop. simple as that.

Eddie would love to wave us goodbye and then take over the MCG as their own.

You're fighting a losing battle here Sue...the populist view on Demonland says that if Eddie's involved, then regardless of what it is, he cannot be trusted. I'm with you on this as our present circumstances are exceptional and unfortunately we are in no position to pick and choose. So rather than put our pride ahead of an almost certain fall, why not hear him out.

Maybe a couple of you miss my point a bit. I'm saying that in exceptional circumstances a victim of a disaster may need help from outside. It is not demeaning or an indication of giving up the ghost to accept it. Otherwise half of Queensland should have been towed out to sea and sunk…. hmm maybe not such a bad idea… :unsure:

You're fighting a losing battle here Sue...the populist view on Demonland says that if Eddie's involved, then regardless of what it is, he cannot be trusted. I'm with you on this as our present circumstances are exceptional and unfortunately we are in no position to pick and choose. So rather than put our pride ahead of an almost certain fall, why not hear him out.

Precisely. I understand the distaste but I'm not sure we have the luxury of turning it down cold.

Beware of Fat bastards bearing false sympathy.

• Like 3

Maybe a couple of you miss my point a bit. I'm saying that in exceptional circumstances a victim of a disaster may need help from outside. It is not demeaning or an indication of giving up the ghost to accept it. Otherwise half of Queensland should have been towed out to sea and sunk…. hmm maybe not such a bad idea… :unsure:

No I don't miss your point - I disagree with it - totally. Your analogy with flood victims is irrelevant. They did need immediate aid because they were in physical danger. The footy club is an entity it wont die of exposure. My point is that EE is buying in far too quickly and therefore I question his motives. Altruism? I don't think so.

If this club accept charity from Eddie and the Filth. We are a shot duck. QB is already looked on in those terms.

We got ourselves into this mess and it is up to the CEO & Board to get us out.

And yes get every $$$ out of EW that is legally possible.

No I don't miss your point - I disagree with it - totally. Your analogy with flood victims is irrelevant. They did need immediate aid because they were in physical danger. The footy club is an entity it wont die of exposure. My point is that EE is buying in far too quickly and therefore I question his motives. Altruism? I don't think so.

OK I'll drop the flood analogy, though please acknowledge there can be exceptional circumstances which can require external assistance and tell me why the current case doesn't qualify.

But who cares if EE's motives are less than angelic - as long as no real 'evil' follows just take his loot (or loot he organises) and swallow your pride.

I agree with other posters, get loot out of EW too if legally possible (though that seems unlikely to me). I think the AFL should come to the party - it's their reputation we have upheld.