MFC Senior players.

olisik

I know it is early in the year and most demonlanders will probably disagree or throw in the usual 'Its just the start of the season' comments but i wanted to ask what peoples opinions would be of trying to trade off some senior players at seasons end if they dont pull there weight this year.

Players like Sylvia, Davey maybe Rivers can be a class acts if they are motivated right with the right game-plan and team mates who protect them.

I have always felt that the reason that they possibly do struggle is because there are not many/enough senior players for them to work together and protect each other, and that there never will be for these boys at the MFC.

It seems evident that these players careers are on the balance at the moment at the MFC when they could be flourishing elsewhere, and that they could have some good trade value seasons end. Possibly pick up some 2nd round draft picks in the super draft, or pick up a player who could grow with the rest of the crop who are coming through. I saw on bigfooty someone suggested a Sylvia for Caddy trade for example.

Long term I think it would be better as I can't see any of the current senior players becoming a premiership player at the MFC at the moment sadly.

I know it is early in the year and most demonlanders will probably disagree or throw in the usual 'Its just the start of the season' comments but i wanted to ask what peoples opinions would be of trying to trade off some senior players at seasons end if they dont pull there weight this year.

Players like Sylvia, Davey maybe Rivers can be a class acts if they are motivated right with the right game-plan and team mates who protect them.

I have always felt that the reason that they possibly do struggle is because there are not many/enough senior players for them to work together and protect each other, and that there never will be for these boys at the MFC.

It seems evident that these players careers are on the balance at the moment at the MFC when they could be flourishing elsewhere, and that they could have some good trade value seasons end. Possibly pick up some 2nd round draft picks in the super draft, or pick up a player who could grow with the rest of the crop who are coming through. I saw on bigfooty someone suggested a Sylvia for Caddy trade for example.

Long term I think it would be better as I can't see any of the current senior players becoming a premiership player at the MFC at the moment sadly.

We've traded, delisted, retired etc. enough of our senior players in recent years

I really don't think we can afford to lose anymore

We've traded, delisted, retired etc. enough of our senior players in recent years

I really don't think we can afford to lose anymore

I think the argument is that these senior players are setting a terrible example, and that we'd be better off if our younger guys forged their own way.

I don't think the only issues with our senior players are the players which they were drafted with and how many still remain at the club.

To survive as long as they have has said something, considering how few of them left there are. They all definetly can excel in the right environment, which i do not think is the MFC as they do not have enough senior bodies around them.

Imagine Sylvia Davey or Green running around at Hawthorn, they would be a real weapon down there, which is why i think that they have good trade value.

I personally cannot see them being part of the future of MFC.

Feels like the MFC lost a generation of players which is the big black hole right now and the attitudes of the remaining ones may rub off onto our future players.

I wouldn't be against one a year... to ease the adjustment slowly. But who, we'll have a better Idea after 2/3rds of the season....

I think the argument is that these senior players are setting a terrible example, and that we'd be better off if our younger guys forged their own way.

I can't disagree with that, however I also think it's important to allow the senior players redemption under a new coach and regime

I think our seniors players have been hung out to dry by the likes of Gysberts, Blease, Morton, Bennell and Watts not coming on quick enough. How much better does luke ball look with Swan,Pendels and co around him? The younger blokes are the key to our success not just in the future but now as well.

• Like 1

I think our seniors players have been hung out to dry by the likes of Gysberts, Blease, Morton, Bennell and Watts not coming on quick enough. How much better does luke ball look with Swan,Pendels and co around him? The younger blokes are the key to our success not just in the future but now as well.

I wouldn't say 'hung out to dry' as they are hoping on youngsters and as a collective we seem to be missing continuity in playing with some high draft picks, Tapscott, Grimes, Blease to name a few.

Overall we would have expected more from all these high draft picks. most like tapscott have that as an excuse as they showed really good signs but I thought Gysberts in his thrid year should be aiming to play each week in what is an average midfield.

• Like 1

Agree with this, the lack of development that has come from our early picks is unacceptable. We haven't been able to keep most fit and playing or the ones that have played haven't showed enough to warrent there draft pick. Trengove is the exception but he still hasn't torn a game apart like Dustin Martin. I posted before only Grimes and Trengove are automatic selections for round 1 if fit, considering we had 9 first round picks since 2007 draft that is a poor reflection on the development of these players.

• Like 1

I personally don't blame the senior players for there lack of performance. They haven't had the motivation or support over the years to maintain what they used to have.

Under Baileys regime the seniors were always put aside for the youth policy, and now the youth do not seem to have developed as well/fast as people thought they would have. Now its the seniors who are copping alot of the critique.

I wouldn't blame any of them if they wanted to change clubs. It has been a tough run for alot of the guys.

I personally don't blame the senior players for there lack of performance. They haven't had the motivation or support over the years to maintain what they used to have.

Under Baileys regime the seniors were always put aside for the youth policy, and now the youth do not seem to have developed as well/fast as people thought they would have. Now its the seniors who are copping alot of the critique.

I wouldn't blame any of them if they wanted to change clubs. It has been a tough run for alot of the guys.

Why should senior players be held accountable for their own performances?

Nice piece of misguided revisionism on Bailey. Pity its a red herring.

The senior players are criticised because its the senior players who have failed to perform and where applicable lead. I cant see why they get any exemptions. In fact there are so few senior players that they have had more than enough opportunity to perform.

Which senior players have been cast aside by Bailey and are still with MFC?

Here are the List players over 26 yo and their position if they had a bad year (again)

Green 31- finished and retired.

Davey 28 - Contracted in 2013 - No trade value

Jamar 28 - Depending on fitness and ruck stocks but could be one of the few effective senior leaders.

Moloney 28 - Little trade value

MacDonald - No trade value - Spend last year at Casey

Rivers - Negligible trade value

Sylvia - Moderate trade value. Possbly more upside keeping him for upside.

You really are arguing about trade for rats and mice.

No the senior players just dont perform. And Blease has been out injured alot of the time. How does he hang the senior players out to dry? :wacko:

The senior players are criticised because its the senior players who have failed to perform and where applicable lead. I cant see why they get any exemptions. In fact there are so few senior players that they have had more than enough opportunity to perform.

Here are the List players over 26 yo and their position if they had a bad year (again)

Jamar 28 - Depending on fitness and ruck stocks but could be one of the few effective senior leaders.

I find nothing here to disagree with RR

You have nailed it

Thats the reason why i think they are lacking performance, is because there are so few of them and the youngsters arn't developing quickly. there aren't enough of them to carry/slow paced development and it is impacting there own game.

Do you think that none of the senior players wouldn't perform in a team with support from more similar aged players?

I think that they would which is why I rate them as having some trade value.

• Like 1

The hawks keep adding senior players to their list each year.

People should be talking about Mitch Clark.

in my opinion he has already made a big impact with the dees. He's in the leadership group and kicking goals.

Melbourne has struggled to attract ready made footballers. Mitch Clark cost us our first round draft pick and a heap of cash.

Money well spent...must be repeated during the next trade period.

I'm not saying we need to go after Travis Cloke...We could go after Tippett from the Crows.

The hawks keep adding senior players to their list each year.

People should be talking about Mitch Clark.

in my opinion he has already made a big impact with the dees. He's in the leadership group and kicking goals.

Melbourne has struggled to attract ready made footballers. Mitch Clark cost us our first round draft pick and a heap of cash.

Money well spent...must be repeated during the next trade period.

I'm not saying we need to go after Travis Cloke...We could go after Tippett from the Crows.

The Hawks have done all their class recruiting through the National draft, taking quality youngsters.

The older players have been capable mature bodied players, as top ups to their weak spots.

Guest Gotzy15

When I saw this thread title I thought to myself- what senior players??? O yeah the ones that turn to water and fold like a deck of cards as soon as the going gets a little tough. The ones that show no leadership or direction whatsoever. The ones that are lucky to get a game every week. That's right I'm pointing the finger at you Davey,Green,Moloney,Sylvia and Jamar. The two that are excused are jones and riv as they always give a consistent effort,show immense courage and lead by example on field. Can't say much for the rest at all though.

The Hawks have done all their class recruiting through the National draft, taking quality youngsters.

The older players have been capable mature bodied players, as top ups to their weak spots.

i think you are forgetting about these players...they all come from other clubs.

Josh Gibson, David Hale, Shaun Burgoyne,Cameorn Bruce, Brent Querra, Jack Gunston, Kyle CheneyBurgoyne

Before people start rubbishing some of the players...please remember that the hawks had no issue getting them to come over..

Gibson, Burgoyne, Bruce and Guston all publicly requested to be traded to the hawks. Something that hasn't happend at the demons for a very long time!

Edited by disco_demon

When I saw this thread title I thought to myself- what senior players??? O yeah the ones that turn to water and fold like a deck of cards as soon as the going gets a little tough. The ones that show no leadership or direction whatsoever. The ones that are lucky to get a game every week. That's right I'm pointing the finger at you Davey,Green,Moloney,Sylvia and Jamar. The two that are excused are jones and riv as they always give a consistent effort,show immense courage and lead by example on field. Can't say much for the rest at all though.

Bit stiff on the Russian?