Casey Scorpions v Frankston

KC from Casey

EightSix Demons on the team sheet - James Strauss, Jack Fitzpatrick, Kelvin Lawrence, Lucas Cook, Jordan Gysberts, Jai Sheahan, Tom McDonald and Cale Morton PLUS Jack Viney lining up for the Scorpions.

Reserves won the curtain raiser with a late goal in an exciting finish 9.6.60 to Frankston 8.6.54. Played with only 20 men.

Quarter Time: Casey 3.4.22 to 1.1.7

Jai Sheahan impressive at full back. James Strauss - great disposal.

Michael Riseley looks an improver.

And let me be the first to say this:

Before the year is out a lot of Demon fans are going to be wishing Jack Viney was already on their team's list.

Quarter Time: Casey 3.4.22 to 1.1.7

Jai Sheahan impressive at full back. James Strauss - great disposal.

Michael Riseley looks an improver.

And let me be the first to say this:

Before the year is out a lot of Demon fans are going to be wishing Jack Viney was already on their team's list.

Great to hear that Sheahan, Strauss and Viney are doing well.

How is Gysberts and Morton going?

Half time and it's Casey 6.8.44 to 2.5.17.

That was a pretty ugly quarter with the Scorpions in particular pushing numbers back.

A bit of brilliance from Kel Lawrence and young Viney's continuing excellent form the highlight.

Both Gysberts and Morton coming into the game and will welcome this hit out, particularly the latter who is having his first run for the year.

Considering his form at the level in the past a fitter (and hopefully stronger) Gysberts should rise above this lot. By reports he didn't get a lot of it last week but it looks like he's finding the footy now.

Nice to see Sheahan getting a few kicks. He moves well and kicks very nicely for a tall and for that reason we've pencilled him in as a CHB prospect. They are both a way off AFL level as witnessed by Davis against Hawthorn it but I expect him and Davis to keep Sellar, Rivers and Frawley honest.

Just as interesting will be to see what Cook and McDonald can dish up as key forwards. If Watts can't hold down a spot I'd love to see these guys have a chance instead of someone like Dunn, but they have to put their names up.

With the poor performance of our small defenders so far I wonder what Strauss' chance for round 1 is if he plays well. You wouldn't write him off would you?

Oh, and where is Grimes!!!

• Like 1

Three Quarter Time: Casey Scorpions 7.9.51 lead Frankston 5.10.40

The Scorpions seem to be running out of puff. They have less players on the bench and are without Viney who played only the first half.

Statistics - Jai Sheahan 17 possessions, Lees, Morton 15, Collins, Gysberts 13.

Cook and McDonald not playing BTW. Nor is Jack Grimes who I did see in the rooms before the game.

Considering his form at the level in the past a fitter (and hopefully stronger) Gysberts should rise above this lot. By reports he didn't get a lot of it last week but it looks like he's finding the footy now.

Nice to see Sheahan getting a few kicks. He moves well and kicks very nicely for a tall and for that reason we've pencilled him in as a CHB prospect. They are both a way off AFL level as witnessed by Davis against Hawthorn it but I expect him and Davis to keep Sellar, Rivers and Frawley honest.

Just as interesting will be to see what Cook and McDonald can dish up as key forwards. If Watts can't hold down a spot I'd love to see these guys have a chance instead of someone like Dunn, but they have to put their names up.

With the poor performance of our small defenders so far I wonder what Strauss' chance for round 1 is if he plays well. You wouldn't write him off would you?

Oh, and where is Grimes!!!

Once the season gets well Underway, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Davis lift his game quickly. I reckon he'll learn to adapt to the new disciplines quickly once playing matches. I hope to see Him regularly in the Demon side by Mid season...

McDonald as well, I would hope to see fairly Regularly by mid season, but not quite as much as Davis as I can see Davis playing a 3rd Tall type role for JMac or Garlo or Riv... when required.

Go Strauss'y.

Casey win 10.12.72 d Frankston 7.11.53

Jack Fitzpatrick with a goal and a good tap out of the ruck to Gysberts was instrumental in the win. He finished the game with two goals.

James Strauss was off the grounf in the last quarter and his calf was in an ice pack at the end of the game. Didn't look too bad. I think he will be an important player for the Demons because of his brilliant disposal.

Jamie Sheahan down back finished with 23 disposals (10 marks) ahead of Wade Lees with 20 possessions and Jordie Gysberts 17 possessions.

• Like 2

Guest Spirit of 39

Casey win 10.12.72 d Frankston 7.11.53

Jack Fitzpatrick with a goal and a good tap out of the ruck to Gysberts was instrumental in the win.

James Strauss was off in the last and had his calf in an ice pack at the end of the game. Didn't look too bad.

Thanks for the updates KC!

Any feedback on Nicholson or Bail's efforts today mate?

I was there until 3/4 time and as much as I love young Viney he hardly put on a "clinic". He was off quite a lot as they clearly managed his loads. He looks very comfortable already at this level.

The biggest plus for me today was Strauss. I'm amazed that he broke his leg in round 20 last year and he'd be an outside chance for round 1. His agilty, reading of the play and disposal was excellent today. He stood out as a class above this level. I hope he makes it as he'd add a lot to our side.

Jai Sheehan made some poor decisions and a number of times kicked to a static target, which allowed an opponent to spoil, but he's an excellent prospect. He's a nice size with good kicking skills. He has poise and remains calm.

Gysberts still looks to lack AFL endurance to me. He worked his way into the game and tried hard. He's playing as an inside mid and needs to develop his upper body. His legs have grown, but the chest and arms need a lot of work. I like him as a player, but it will be a year, or two before he'll be a good AFL player.

Morton continued with his development as a backman. It's a pity he had the slight setback with his knee, as he was good in the intra-club. He was solid today.

I spoke briefly to Magner, which was important for my Dreamteam.

Can I make this prediction, after seeing JV today for just a half a game that he will have all the hype that TS had (as a footballer) except for a couple of major differences:

- Jack is fearless

- Jack goes in and GETS the ball

- Jack gives second and third efforts

Just adding to other comments I also think Kelvin Lawrence did a couple of nice things.

There were glimpses of the old Strauss but definitely needs one or two more runs at Casey.

Morton - same old same old - he was almost too good to be there today but then he spoils it by giving out stupid handballs

Gysberts - did anyone else think he looked a bit frustrated out there.

Jai Sheahan - looks really likely. Maybe a game at the end of the season but way off keeping Frawley honest. Needs to put on a bit of weight

Fitzpatrick needs to hold his marks

I thought the team played cohesively. They were definietly not holding back in the packs. Passing was good. Brett seems to have made a good start

Just a last thought I have the greatest admiration for Kyle Matthews from what he has come back from. Fearless leader.

• Like 1

Can I make this prediction, after seeing JV today for just a half a game that he will have all the hype that TS had (as a footballer) except for a couple of major differences:

- Jack is fearless

- Jack goes in and GETS the ball

- Jack gives second and third efforts

Jack will hurt Tom on the footy field. Often.

I thought there were more than glimpses with Strauss. He looked terrific.

And I'd like to add that for a cellar dweller team Frankston have some really good young footballers.

The Casey Scorpions named co-captains for 2012 - Kyle Matthews and Evan Panozza

Vice captains for 2012 are Rian McGough & Daniel Nicholls

Congratulations to the club's leaders.

Jumper numbers for 2012:

1 Kyle Matthews

2 Nathan Allen

3 Luke Tynan

4 Gus Patti

5 Jordan Pollard

6 Danny Nicholls

7 Stefan Baumgartner

8 Brayden Salton

9 Rian McGough

10 Mitch Gent

11 Michael Riseley

12 Matt Fieldsend

13 David DeAraugo

14 Evan Panozza

15 Michael Johnson

16 Jordan Roberts

17 Dean Cleven

18 Chris Clay

19 Luke Bull

20 Dave Collins

21 Kieran Roberts

22 Mark Weeks

23 Tom Corry

24 James McFarlane

25 Wade Lees

26 Ricky Plummer

27 Nathan Page

28 Luke Thompson

29 Sean Corrigan

30 Luke Hill

31 Jess Bolton

32 William Petropoulos

33 Aiden Lindsay

34 Bryce Galvin

35 Tim Costigan

36 Dylan Troutman

37 Malcolm McGillivray-Smith

38 Steven McInnes

39 Pat Chin

40 Tim Smith

41 Nick Lang

42 Daniel Johnston

43 Pat Rosier

44 David Eddy

45 Dean Kimitsis

MFC player jumper numbers for 2012:

46 James Strauss

47 Sam Blease

48 Jeremy Howe

49 Jack Fitzpatrick

50 Matthew Bate

51 Liam Jurrah

52 Troy Davis

53 Jeremy Bennell

54 Neville Jetta

55 Tom Couch

56 Dan Nicholson

57 Kelvin Lawrence

58 Josh Tynan

59 Jake Spencer

60 Jack Watts

61 Lucas Cook

62 Clint Bartram

63 Ricky Petterd

64 James Magner

65 Stefan Martin

66 Jordie McKenzie

67 Luke Tapscott

68 Jordan Gysberts

69 Rohan Bail

70 Leigh Williams

71 Michael Evans

72 Jai Sheahan

73 Rory Taggert

74 Tom McDonald

75 James Sellar

76 Cale Morton

77 Max Gawn

78 Colin Sylvia

79 Colin Garland

80 Joel Macdonald

81 Lynden Dunn

Players not allocated jumper numbers:

Mitch Clark

Aaron Davey

James Frawley

Brad Green

Jack Grimes

Mark Jamar

Nathan Jones

Brent Moloney

Jared Rivers

Jack Trengove

Jack Viney wore number 7 today.

Guest oldman emubitter

The Casey Scorpions named co-captains for 2012 - Kyle Matthews and Evan Panozza

Vice captains for 2012 are Rian McGough & Daniel Nicholls

Congratulations to the club's leaders.

Jumper numbers for 2012:

1 Kyle Matthews

2 Nathan Allen

3 Luke Tynan

4 Gus Patti

5 Jordan Pollard

6 Danny Nicholls

7 Stefan Baumgartner

8 Brayden Salton

9 Rian McGough

10 Mitch Gent

11 Michael Riseley

12 Matt Fieldsend

13 David DeAraugo

14 Evan Panozza

15 Michael Johnson

16 Jordan Roberts

17 Dean Cleven

18 Chris Clay

19 Luke Bull

20 Dave Collins

21 Kieran Roberts

22 Mark Weeks

23 Tom Corry

24 James McFarlane

25 Wade Lees

26 Ricky Plummer

27 Nathan Page

28 Luke Thompson

29 Sean Corrigan

30 Luke Hill

31 Jess Bolton

32 William Petropoulos

33 Aiden Lindsay

34 Bryce Galvin

35 Tim Costigan

36 Dylan Troutman

37 Malcolm McGillivray-Smith

38 Steven McInnes

39 Pat Chin

40 Tim Smith

41 Nick Lang

42 Daniel Johnston

43 Pat Rosier

44 David Eddy

45 Dean Kimitsis

MFC player jumper numbers for 2012:

46 James Strauss

47 Sam Blease

48 Jeremy Howe

49 Jack Fitzpatrick

50 Matthew Bate

51 Liam Jurrah

52 Troy Davis

53 Jeremy Bennell

54 Neville Jetta

55 Tom Couch

56 Dan Nicholson

57 Kelvin Lawrence

58 Josh Tynan

59 Jake Spencer

60 Jack Watts

61 Lucas Cook

62 Clint Bartram

63 Ricky Petterd

64 James Magner

65 Stefan Martin

66 Jordie McKenzie

67 Luke Tapscott

68 Jordan Gysberts

69 Rohan Bail

70 Leigh Williams

71 Michael Evans

72 Jai Sheahan

73 Rory Taggert

74 Tom McDonald

75 James Sellar

76 Cale Morton

77 Max Gawn

78 Colin Sylvia

79 Colin Garland

80 Joel Macdonald

81 Lynden Dunn

Players not allocated jumper numbers:

Mitch Clark

Aaron Davey

James Frawley

Brad Green

Jack Grimes

Mark Jamar

Nathan Jones

Brent Moloney

Jared Rivers

Jack Trengove

Jack Viney wore number 7 today.

appreciate the effort kc

related to josh?

I was at Casey yesterday and the highlights were James Strauss and a couple of kids we won't see in Demon colours until next year in Jack Viney and Jai Sheahan. Beyond them were two other important players from Melbourne's point of view in Jordan Gysberts and Cale Morton who will each get another effort in for Casey before being considered for senior selection. They will be joined next week by co-captain Jack Grimes who will make a bid to return to the Melbourne team for its round 1 clash with Brisbane Lions.

Strauss was very solid down back, closing down opponents and delivering the ball with pinpoint accuracy. If both he and Grimes can get back into the side for the opening round, I think we should at least see our strongest backline on the park. Morton started tentatively and, at times tried to be a bit cute holding onto the ball a bit too long at times, but got better as the game went on. Gysberts was also fairly good and a class above the standard on show.

Both Jack Fitzpatrick and Kelvin Lawrence had their moments but have plenty of work to do to earn senior berths at Melbourne. Fitzpatrick had a purple patch early in the final quarter. He palmed the ball beautifully to Gysberts who ran into an open goal to score and moments later kicked a nice goal from an angle. He remained dangerous up forward but had to be moved into the ruck because the team only had one other player who could fill that role. In fact, the Scorps don't seem to have replaced the lost height of departing players like Mohr, Fevola and Wall. I noticed their back up full forward from past years Ben Waite has crossed to Frankston. Those who thought Fev was holding back the development of young Demon KPF's now have their way but I think the Scorps will struggle for height.

I was super impressed with Jai Sheahan and, on that performance, can't believe he wasn't drafted onto someone's senior list. He played full back in the old style, marked strongly, backed his judgement and teamed well with his fellow defenders. I take on board what B-H wrote about him kicking to a static target, which happened once or twice but such is the nature of things at this level.

As for Jack Viney. Yes, he might have a bit to learn but he's a real chip off the old block with the one exception that his kicking is so much better.

• Like 4