Hypothetical: Rendell?

Striker475

You're all kidding right?..

What sort of respect does that show to our indigenous boys, Davey,Bennel,Jurrah,Lawrence,Jetta.

You call yourselves supporters, the only thing you support is racism....fools!

Do we really know what he actually said, as opposed to what was reported in the pre$$?

Matt Rendell is on Footy Classified tonight. I reckon he'll say that the game is heading in a direction where endurance is paramount and sports science shows blah blah blah whatever he supposedly said.

How long have the AFL known about this? Sounds like they've been trying to dispel this myth and mount an attack on "sports science". It will be interesting to hear the coaches views on how 2+2 interchange would influence the game. The AFL seem to want to get rid of the press and get players to play positions but I'm not sure 2+2 would do that.

Edited by Harcourt
  • Like 1

Matt Rendell is on Footy Classified tonight. I reckon he'll say that the game is heading in a direction where endurance is paramount and sports science shows blah blah blah whatever he supposedly said.

How long have the AFL known about this? Sounds like they've been trying to dispel this myth and mount an attack on "sports science". It will be interesting to hear the coaches views on how 2+2 interchange would influence the game. The AFL seem to want to get rid of the press and get playing to play positions but I'm not sure 2+2 would do that.

Who knows whether going to 2&2 will create more positional footy but ...................it will take a brave coach to ask his defenders to run up and down the ground for 75 - 90% of the game with very little rest . If it was left at 4 interchange eventually all the clubs might flood and press all game . I think it's worth a try for 2&2 .

If , in the near future , the press and the flood were in decline and there was more positional play , then that could , in theory , bring the "burst" player back into the game . Stay at home forwards and backmen would get lots more rest (on the ground) .

Maybe these comments attributed to some of the recruiters , with regards to endurance , would have been irrelevant anyway .

The other thing is , any change to our sport often brings another unknown factor to the table .

Cheers

Edited by Macca

Here is my take on the issue, based only on agreed facts known so far.......

Very well laid out Redleg, I felt this stank of the AFL trying to Grandstand the issue of racism in football, especially with a lot of other issues re: recruiting indigenous players have come out recently. The endurance issue with the change in interchange has kind of merit but I feel is perhaps a bit of an overstatement, with Jurrah's recent arrest and ongoing tribal warfare in Yuendumu some have suggested this will put clubs off from recruiting in remote aboriginal communities, perhaps it will but I think what it will do more is to make clubs want to better understand the issues out there before recruiting.

What i feel that AFL has tried to do with Rendell is simplify the issue to: if you don't want to recruit because of these reasons, you are really just racist. Perhaps that is me simplifying the situation, and I certainly don't condone the comments that have been reported, but nothing about how this has come out feels right.

As to us getting Rendell, once the dust settles, perhaps simply ask some of our indigenous players what they think about it, if they truly are uncomfortable with it then look elsewhere. Also maybe ask ourselves whether his services would be worth the possible s-storm that could head our way if we got him.

How long have the AFL known about this? Sounds like they've been trying to dispel this myth and mount an attack on "sports science". It will be interesting to hear the coaches views on how 2+2 interchange would influence the game. The AFL seem to want to get rid of the press and get playing to play positions but I'm not sure 2+2 would do that.

why not 2 + 1 ?

Guest Gotzy15

Happy to call anyone that supports a racist a fool.

Sorry mate but you are an absolute fool! Massive media beat up. Comments completely taken out of context. If you think Rendall is a racist then you have the intellect of a child.

How long have the AFL known about this? Sounds like they've been trying to dispel this myth and mount an attack on "sports science". It will be interesting to hear the coaches views on how 2+2 interchange would influence the game. The AFL seem to want to get rid of the press and get players to play positions but I'm not sure 2+2 would do that.

Thats exactly what I think & where I was wanting this to go to.. I think thats right, & I agree with them. I can see the flood/press problems in Many areas, Now, & going forward, literally.

Who knows whether 2&2 will work but ...........it will take a brave coach to ask his defenders to run up and down the ground for 90 - 95% of the game with very little rest . If it was left at 4 interchange eventually all the clubs might flood and press all game . I think it's worth a try for 2&2 .

If , in the near future , the press and the flood were in decline and there was more positional play , then that could , in theory , bring the "burst" player back into the game . After all , he's going to get lots more rest (on the ground) .

Maybe these comments attributed to some of the recruiters , with regards to endurance , would have been irrelevant anyway .

The other thing is , any change to our sport often brings another unknown factor to the table .

Cheers

Burst players have been a part of the game before Macca. There were plenty. Micky Conlan was considered a burst player when he first started, Catoggio, & heaps & heaps more. If we want to start dredging them up. they won't disappear, but more footballers will reappear, & more full forwards will reappear. And more man on man play will reappear.

Even more long kicking with the High Mark as well. And maybe even the Torp...

Burst players have been a part of the game before Macca. There were plenty. Micky Conlan was considered a burst player when he first started, Catoggio, & heaps & heaps more. If we want to start dredging them up. they won't disappear, but more footballers will reappear, & more full forwards will reappear. And more man on man play will reappear.

Even more long kicking with the High Mark as well. And maybe even the Torp...

Yeah , you're right . I've seen plenty of burst players over the years . I think all players will need a certain amount of endurance no matter what rule changes they bring in .

Cheers

Edited by Macca

Judging by the interview on footy classified there is no way that man is a racist. It's a disgrace that the AFL & media have soiled this persons name after a life dedicated to football & trying to improve young peoples lives. It is an indictment on today's society that someone could be hung out to dry in this way. The AFL are lucky that Rendell has a support network around him as these sorts of allegations can often lead to more serious implications in the accused's life.

Before making a judgement I think people should take the time to watch the interview, I'd find it hard to believe anyone would walk away believing he was a racist.

Clearly not a racist and what he said about there's no racism In footy Is spot on. The worlds gone mad you cant say anything these days. Its got to the point you have to carefully map out what you say with a fine tooth comb just to make sure It's politically correct.

Judging by the interview on footy classified there is no way that man is a racist. It's a disgrace that the AFL & media have soiled this persons name after a life dedicated to football & trying to improve young peoples lives. It is an indictment on today's society that someone could be hung out to dry in this way. The AFL are lucky that Rendell has a support network around him as these sorts of allegations can often lead to more serious implications in the accused's life.

Before making a judgement I think people should take the time to watch the interview, I'd find it hard to believe anyone would walk away believing he was a racist.

Agree. At times difficult to watch, but compelling viewing.

Really felt for him. He's been strung up for trying to make a difference and do something positive, which wouldn't have been for personal gain, or purely for the benefit of his club.

I think football stands to benefit from his proposal, and disturbing to see what came of it.

I do note that a slight variation on this program was trumpeted in the Herald Sun as an Essendon idea.

Guest Dr Who

We definitely are in need of his type of skills. Probably do Mat Rendell a world of good to get out of the Adelaide footy fish bowl.

However, we may need time to let the press-beat up blow over. Watch this space.

After watching FootyClassified I'm sticking with my original comments. Needs to get out of Adelaide.

• Like 1

Well he's certainly not coming.

But one of the best interviews I've seen.

Not for the interviewee's- Hutchy and Caro especially are a joke but Rendalls passion was fantastic

Strung up and quartered.

Riveting interview. He nearly blew a gasket and foofer valve !

Well he's certainly not coming.

But one of the best interviews I've seen.

Not for the interviewee's- Hutchy and Caro especially are a joke but Rendalls passion was fantastic

I agree with you DL7. Great stuff by Matty even IF he didn't explain himself as clearly as he could have. I cannot believe people can't understand what he tried to say on the day & hows he's explaining it Now. Carpo seemed not to understand, looking at the words and Not the context & structure of what he was trying to express.

He wants to help the Indigenous boys, as the game is turning in such a way, that makes drafting many of them, too great a risk...

And that is One of the reasons I've been pushing to reduce the Number of interchange players. Because it nullify's the space that the light bodied Indig' boys thrive in. And everyone Has to do their defence & tackling. Some indig boys aren't good at that stuff & don't like to do it.

The game Needs it's space back again.

Could Jason Mifsud be the world's worst friend?

#throwingabrotherunderthebus

Or the other Fly in that room, maybe... Maybe it wasn't Mifsud who initiated the deed....Political correctness going Mad, & kiling off many good AFL people because of literal words people misinterpret.

• Like 1

Agree. At times difficult to watch, but compelling viewing.

Really felt for him. He's been strung up for trying to make a difference and do something positive, which wouldn't have been for personal gain, or purely for the benefit of his club.

I think football stands to benefit from his proposal, and disturbing to see what came of it.

I do note that a slight variation on this program was trumpeted in the Herald Sun as an Essendon idea.

Maybe some of us could send an Email, complaining to the AFL about the poor treatment of Mat Rendell...

Maybe some of us could send an Email, complaining to the AFL about the poor treatment of Mat Rendell...

I'm in if you can get the right address. The sad story is this is just one of many things the last 1-2 years the AFL have been corrupt with. Dodgy operation it's turning into, they owe everyone alot of answers. I'd hate to know what secrets they are hiding!

I'm in if you can get the right address. The sad story is this is just one of many things the last 1-2 years the AFL have been corrupt with. Dodgy operation it's turning into, they owe everyone alot of answers. I'd hate to know what secrets they are hiding!

Her I think are the AFL's Contact Details + an contact via email,,, page link Re: the reinstate Matty Rendell...

AFL House Contact Details:

Telephone 03 9643 1999

Postal Address GPO Box 1449 Melbourne 3001

Contact web page > https://telstra.com/...aflenquiry.asp?

Remember to check the 'General' button, to the bottom of the list of Options.