• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Melbourne Football Club Commencement Dinner

Whispering_Jack

Judging by the player comments going out into the twittersphere, they seem to like the blazers (I assume if they didn't like them they would say nothing) - if this sort of tradition instills some pride and a sense of history in the players, then hopefully that will be reflected in their performances on-field. Winning is definitely not a tradition, and with the size of the competition now, the game is becoming more competitive and winning is becoming harder and harder; so anything that can give you an edge (psychological or otherwise) is a good thing imo.

Then can we give them 2 blazers each please

OK. Blazers or not, other than Neeld, I thought the night was flat. In deference to Thomo, I was very disappointed re lack of any announcement of a sponsor for foj. In fact, it would seem from Schwab's comments, the China connection has been missed.

I am as proud of our history and heritage as anybody, but the future needs to be secured as well. I did not feel that last night.

• Like 1

I was very disappointed re lack of any announcement of a sponsor for foj. In fact, it would seem from Schwab's comments, the China connection has been missed.

In a semi-comatose state this morning, I managed to decipher a radio news report (on Sydney's 2BL) that mentioned something about Port Adelaide, sponsorship and charity. That was all I got... anyone have the missing pieces? Let's hope that prompts the MFC to make some sort of an official statement.

OK. Blazers or not, other than Neeld, I thought the night was flat. In deference to Thomo, I was very disappointed re lack of any announcement of a sponsor for foj. In fact, it would seem from Schwab's comments, the China connection has been missed.

I am as proud of our history and heritage as anybody, but the future needs to be secured as well. I did not feel that last night.

I'll take the bait...what was said?

I agree, I thought it was very ordinary and the whole night was a bit of a waste of time. I wouldn't be expecting any announcement on FOJ sponsor in the near future I think we are a long way off signing anything at this stage.

Might be a stupid question but how do you even get in to the commencement dinner? Can you buy your way in or is it invite only? I know people are saying it was a bit of a flat night but I would have loved to be there.

The night was for the Foundation Heroes and Elite player sponsors, the cost was $195 per head but the Elite Player sponsors, I understand, were admitted free of charge. This is going to take the place of the Season Launch an event the club has run before.

I have been to a few nights like this before but it was just ordinary and there was not much happening, plus the food was terrible.

I couldn't agree more. The highlight of the night for me was Cam Schwab's address which was quite moving. The majority of the night focused on our past and if you were in a nostalgic mood it was ok but for a "Commencement" dinner nothing was said of the coming season. Nothing. Even Neeld's speech talked of the NAB cup and the preseason but I really didn't learn anything and I got no insight about what to expect. For a dinner called "Commencement" it missed the mark.

I think our football club has a disproportionate focus on the past. We continually hear from past greats, we are continually reminded that we are the oldest footy club in the world and we are continually reminded of how great we were. I think it's time to focus more on this group and what we think we can achieve. I want to hear about the future. Even the blazer is a replica of those of the 1940's, that's 70 years ago. Are we a modern progressive club or one at the cutting edge of the future. Last night would have had you wondering.

There were no player interviews, there was no word from our captains, there were no insights from the coaching staff and I can't remember a laugh.

All up a flat night. Enjoy the watch RobbieF. Player sponsors didn't get it "free" by the way, it's part of a package for which we pay a reasonable amount of money.

• Like 1

I couldn't agree more. The highlight of the night for me was Cam Schwab's address which was quite moving. The majority of the night focused on our past and if you were in a nostalgic mood it was ok but for a "Commencement" dinner nothing was said of the coming season. Nothing. Even Neeld's speech talked of the NAB cup and the preseason but I really didn't learn anything and I got no insight about what to expect. For a dinner called "Commencement" it missed the mark.

I think our football club has a disproportionate focus on the past. We continually hear from past greats, we are continually reminded that we are the oldest footy club in the world and we are continually reminded of how great we were. I think it's time to focus more on this group and what we think we can achieve. I want to hear about the future. Even the blazer is a replica of those of the 1940's, that's 70 years ago. Are we a modern progressive club or one at the cutting edge of the future. Last night would have had you wondering.

There were no player interviews, there was no word from our captains, there were no insights from the coaching staff and I can't remember a laugh.

All up a flat night. Enjoy the watch RobbieF. Player sponsors didn't get it "free" by the way, it's part of a package for which we pay a reasonable amount of money.

What did you want??? "We will do this,we will do that" Rah rah rah. Action speak a lot louder than words espicially at this club. Too many years we have had the other. This year maybe it will be actions
  • Like 1

I didn't quite mean it that way I understand that Player Sponsors pay quite a bit for that right and in fact I have put my name down for Howie as I see he doesn't have one already, so I know what the cost is. I was just answering a question as to how you get to go to the night. I think my wife will finish up with the watch, I have one and it is more of an accessory than anything else.

I've been to a few functions where Cam Schwab has spoken and he does, in my opinion, spend a bit too much time dwelling on the past and not enough talking about the current situation that the club is in.

Edited by RobbieF

What did you want???

I'd have liked some comment on the game plan, not chapter and verse. A quick outline on its core characteristics and how long he expects our players to be able to implement it. I'd like some indication of his expectation of the year. What are some of his KPI's. How does he view the list, areas of strength and weakness. Which players he sees as having an impact this year. How Jack Viney is going. How about an explanation of the "Gap Year" initiative, why it was done, what the benefits would be and what the downsides are. How about a discussion over the activation of the CP which will be public in 5 days anyway. What are they thinking, what are the competing strategies and what are the objectives with the CP. How about the relationship between Casey and MFC, how closely will Brett Lovett work with MFC, what are Casey's priorities. What about the issues of list management this year with up to three 1st rounders available. What about some details in what extra work the players have been doing over preseason. What about a comment on how long the "new" PS regime will take to "build" AFL footballers. How about a view of the impact of free agency? How about standing up the MM and WC on their comments on Watts.

Hell, that's just off the top of my head. I don't want "inside" detail but some thoughts on the issues. It's a football night about the coming season but that seemed to be a taboo topic All I got was "we want to be elite". I've heard that for far too long and it means, as you say, diddly squat.

If the MFC want to make a franchise night of this they will have to offer more because if I wasn't entitled to go because of my player sponsor involvement I would have been very disappointed with the content and wouldn't consider going next year. In the end it's a fundraiser, you've got to give a little to get a lot. $195 a head is not value based on what was offered last night.

• Like 3

I'd have liked some comment on the game plan, not chapter and verse. A quick outline on its core characteristics and how long he expects our players to be able to implement it. I'd like some indication of his expectation of the year. What are some of his KPI's. How does he view the list, areas of strength and weakness. Which players he sees as having an impact this year. How Jack Viney is going. How about an explanation of the "Gap Year" initiative, why it was done, what the benefits would be and what the downsides are. How about a discussion over the activation of the CP which will be public in 5 days anyway. What are they thinking, what are the competing strategies and what are the objectives with the CP. How about the relationship between Casey and MFC, how closely will Brett Lovett work with MFC, what are Casey's priorities. What about the issues of list management this year with up to three 1st rounders available. What about some details in what extra work the players have been doing over preseason. What about a comment on how long the "new" PS regime will take to "build" AFL footballers. How about a view of the impact of free agency? How about standing up the MM and WC on their comments on Watts.

Hell, that's just off the top of my head. I don't want "inside" detail but some thoughts on the issues. It's a football night about the coming season but that seemed to be a taboo topic All I got was "we want to be elite". I've heard that for far too long and it means, as you say, diddly squat.

If the MFC want to make a franchise night of this they will have to offer more because if I wasn't entitled to go because of my player sponsor involvement I would have been very disappointed with the content and wouldn't consider going next year. In the end it's a fundraiser, you've got to give a little to get a lot. $195 a head is not value based on what was offered last night.

Fair enough. You make some very good points. I have just had enough of the rah rah stuff we seem to get every year. Good reply

The night was for the Foundation Heroes and Elite player sponsors, the cost was $195 per head but the Elite Player sponsors, I understand, were admitted free of charge. This is going to take the place of the Season Launch an event the club has run before.

I have been to a few nights like this before but it was just ordinary and there was not much happening, plus the food was terrible.

Premium members got invitations also

Personally I like the less talk more action. Perhaps the previous regime had it the wrong way around.

If you haven't already, why don't you send some feedback to the club as what you would like to see at the event. I'm sure they would appreciate your comment after all it is 'your' (and other members) club.

There is selling the club and there is winning games of football. One of these options achieves both of these aims on it's own.

I couldn't care if Neeld's philosophy is "tell em nothing" much like it is at some other hard nosed clubs.

I want a footy coach not a marketing genius. If the club feels it needs to close ranks on some things whether it be to protect information or any other reason it so deems then I will wear it.

• Like 1

Personally i would have paid truckloads to hear Mark Neeld speak last night.

The little grabs i heard on the wireless this morning got me pumped again (along with the Neil Craig piece last night on the MFC website)

Simply if it is too hard around here, too bad. That is what it takes to become Top 4.

I think our coaches are actually going to demand and expect it this time.

Actions not words.

Simply if it is too hard around here, too bad. That is what it takes to become Top 4.

I think our coaches are actually going to demand and expect it this time.

Actions not words.

As long as it doesn't become a revolving door where players gets dumped after 1 (or even 2) games down on form. Part of becoming a top 4 side is also becoming cohesive as a team and getting a regular 22-25 players going.

• Like 1

As long as it doesn't become a revolving door where players gets dumped after 1 (or even 2) games down on form. Part of becoming a top 4 side is also becoming cohesive as a team and getting a regular 22-25 players going.

I don't agree. If a player doesn't show the required intensity them they go back to the 2's.

This hopefully ensures that when you pull on a Melbourne jumper you know that less than 100% will not get you a game. That is the culture we need to perpetuate.

Errors can be worked with, effort should be compulsory.

Sure. If a player is really trying to do what is asked i wouldn't expect them to be dropped. Team committment will dictate a lot.

IMO at this stage we have no automatic selections. This is our biggest problem. After 4 years of a rebuild i certainly expected a better situation.

This could change quickly though. Neeld must be tough, but after a win against a good opponent the players will realize he is right.

The players that don't realize this won't last.

• Like 1

SPOT ON. This is absolutely the rubbish we always get at these events, which is formulaic and frustrating, and makes you feel like you have been sold a pup.

Nothing you have mentioned here is too private.

I can appreciate that Neeld might be anxious to set expectations at this point, but on the other hand, he can say what the goal is and what impediments there might be to getting there.

In my list of topics I'd be surprised if there aren't enough there to fill 10 mimutes without ramping up expectations. Free Agency and the CP competing strategies would do it and that discussion has nothing to do with expectation for the year.