Training - Wednesday 25th January, 2012

DirtyDees DDC

Gotta have someone to delist at the end of 2012...

Considering we need to make room for:

- Jack Viney

- 2 x other 1st round picks (compo picks)

- in such a strong draft we'd want to use our 2nd round pick

- elevating Nicholson (virtual certainty)

- elevating Evans (possibility)

That's 6 spots we need to clear, potentially.

I think if a player has been previously on an AFL, there are no minimum contract years like a normal draftee - Sellar would be on a 1 year contract.

I'm being facetious, but at the same time, I expect us to decide there's not enough room for him on our list next year...

Balls in your court now James.

Make it too hard for us to say no.

I'd be confident Sellar got a 2 year deal. For a guy his age to be picked in the national draft you would take him on a 2 year deal.

But dont worry, Bate, Dunn, Macdonald, Fitzpatrick, Spencer, Bartram and Jetta could free up your 5-6 delistings, wouldn't be surprised if Green is over the hill as well.

To all those who are questioning why Sellar is being named I suggest that you read the 16 January training thread and the discussion between AOB and rpfc.

IIRC in the Matt Burgan article on the draft he wrote that the coaches and recruiters spoke at length about taking 'a particular recycled player' to fill a role with pick 54. Neeld asked if he was ready to go round 1 and the answer was yes.

Putting 2 and 2 together and hopefully not getting 5, they're talking about using Sellar as a gorilla keeper.

• Like 1

garland in the midfield, bate in the midfield, grimes in the midfield, howe in the midfield, watts in the midfield, petterd in the midfield, tapscott in the midfield, frawley in the midfield...fair enough our midfield is struggling but moloney and jones are about the only two that would be able to gamble in vegas.

give the kids we've got a chance to show what they've got with what is for many of them their first full pre-season before taking players out of position (bate being the exception)

Can't wait to see Garland playing Back Pocket/CHB/Half back flank and really adding an attacking side to his game by running off his opponent, getting to the wing and kicking the ball long to someone like Mitch Clark. Will be good. Especially if our midfielders, who will be playing in the midfield are doing a good job.

Collingwood were training next door. Very different. The did match play - lots of it - and used the full length and width of their training oval. There was possibly less emphasis on tackling, and more about creating and finding a target. It was a lot more interesting to watch, and most of their top group was involved - Cloke, Swan, Pendlebery and even Jolly.

Obviously this is just a snapshot of Collingwood training compared with ours, but I think it highlights a difficulty we will have throughout this year. Certainly against the better sides, and possibly early on in the year against the mid-lower sides.

I'll use StKilda under Ross Lyon as an example. I remember very clearly that Lyon's first year in charge of the Saints started off very slowly. I can't remember where they finished, but I'm fairly sure they took a step backwards after some decent years leading up to his appointment. His game plan took a while to catch on with the playing group. That was with a team that was already performing at a good level.

Our team has been pathetic for years. We have no out and out stars. We have a new coach and a number of kids still learning the game who have to learn a completely new game plan. We may be doing everything right on the track and be heading in the right direction, but my concern is that come round 10, we could be going alright but still be 2-8 just based on the fact that we haven't perfected our new gameplan.

Collingwood are now just a classy unit who have been well trained and matured together. Their training (albeit one session noted by one supporter) can easily be dedicated to refining an already proven formula. We, on the other hand, are still teaching new tricks to VERY raw little boys in an AFL sense. We're a long way behind the best teams still. To suggest we are finals contenders in our first year with a new coach after being perennial underperformers is, I think, a bit optimistic, Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it, I'm just not getting my hopes up.

• Like 4

Form what I've seen Collingwood's sessions always involve more specific drills and lots of close in technical stuff and match simulation drills.

Our training is more big picture and fitness. However they went to Arizona just for fitness so it makes sense that our fitness is more spread out whilst theres is kind of out of the way potentially.

The other issue is what is stated above. Neeld and Misson are clearly trying to get the guys very fit so they can play at a level and then teaching them the general aspects of the game plan. In a way I hope this season is a lot about the team getting the plan by the end of the season and playing for each other at a high work rate. Next year we can tighten the drills up and do some specific stuff.

The other thing I'd like to see at training is remedial work with some players foot skills and others tackling and things like that. I'm yet to see that or hear reports about it.

To all those who are questioning why Sellar is being named I suggest that you read the 16 January training thread and the discussion between AOB and rpfc.

IIRC in the Matt Burgan arrived on the draft he wrote that the coaches and recruiters spoke at length about taking 'a particular recycled player' to fill a role with pick 54. Neeld asked if he was ready to go round 1 and the answer was yes.

Putting 2 and 2 together and hopefully not getting 5, they're talking about using Sellar as a gorilla keeper.

Probably being named in the hope that this year we will have four genuine key position players instead of just one ( Frawley) last year. Hopefully we will have Clark , Frawley, Sellar if he cuts it and Watts if he has developed sufficiently.Will make a big difference, we have been very undersized

Obviously this is just a snapshot of Collingwood training compared with ours, but I think it highlights a difficulty we will have throughout this year. Certainly against the better sides, and possibly early on in the year against the mid-lower sides.

I'll use StKilda under Ross Lyon as an example. I remember very clearly that Lyon's first year in charge of the Saints started off very slowly. I can't remember where they finished, but I'm fairly sure they took a step backwards after some decent years leading up to his appointment. His game plan took a while to catch on with the playing group. That was with a team that was already performing at a good level.

Our team has been pathetic for years. We have no out and out stars. We have a new coach and a number of kids still learning the game who have to learn a completely new game plan. We may be doing everything right on the track and be heading in the right direction, but my concern is that come round 10, we could be going alright but still be 2-8 just based on the fact that we haven't perfected our new gameplan.

Collingwood are now just a classy unit who have been well trained and matured together. Their training (albeit one session noted by one supporter) can easily be dedicated to refining an already proven formula. We, on the other hand, are still teaching new tricks to VERY raw little boys in an AFL sense. We're a long way behind the best teams still. To suggest we are finals contenders in our first year with a new coach after being perennial underperformers is, I think, a bit optimistic, Don't get me wrong, I would love to see it, I'm just not getting my hopes up.

I only saw about 10 minutes of Collingwood, but if their goal was to hit targets they were certainly succeeding.

I was a little disappointed that we spent much of yesterdays session doing laps. I wanted to see a bit more action, but I'm not privvy to Misson's exercise book. Be interesting to see what we do in the next 3 weeks before the intraclub match on 17 feb.

garland in the midfield, bate in the midfield, grimes in the midfield, howe in the midfield, watts in the midfield, petterd in the midfield, tapscott in the midfield, frawley in the midfield...fair enough our midfield is struggling but moloney and jones are about the only two that would be able to gamble in vegas.

give the kids we've got a chance to show what they've got with what is for many of them their first full pre-season before taking players out of position (bate being the exception)

Com'on Rolly, Use your imagination! Moloney could very well play the small defender role. Jones, , , hmmn, he could make a fitness guru?

It's a good point but there is a key difference in that we have a much younger group who have not been drilled with the same game plan for years (like Saints).

It's often more difficult for the older players to change the habits/training of years than it is for a young player to lean new processes. Green's first instinct when we lose control of the ball is always to "man up" where Bailey's GP was to "protect space". Green wasn't being disobedient but merely acting instinctively.

It will be interesting to see.

• Like 1

Garland on the wing? His best work is going back with the flight.

I was thinking Grimes to the wing actually, if anything... Then I realised... I'd rather Grimes kicking out of defence than inside fifty. Garland's a very good kick, and could be utilised more in this way.

I may have missed it but did anyone see Colin Sylvia in trouble with a quadriceps strain as reported in Friday's H-S?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/colin-sylvia-suffers-quad-scare-at-training/story-e6frf9jf-1226253939032

If Garland were to be moved onto the wing, then what would our back six look like?

Tapscott-Frawley-Rivers

Grimes-Sellar-Bennell?

I personally don't imagine Sellar getting a whole lot of playing time in 2012, and would much prefer to see Garland in the back line with players such as Howe and Gysberts on the wings. It will be interesting to see how we line up though, as I'm not saying that putting Garland on the wing is a BAD suggestion, just not one that I would necessarily do.

Garland on the wing? His best work is going back with the flight.

I was thinking Grimes to the wing actually, if anything... Then I realised... I'd rather Grimes kicking out of defence than inside fifty. Garland's a very good kick, and could be utilised more in this way.

I'd rather Grimes at the bottom of the packs in the centre square.