Trade & Draft Assessments

Whispering_Jack

I have no doubt the coaching staff can pick talented players, but they can't compare this talent across different leagues and competitions. That's where the recruitment dept come in and try and make informed decisions. I hope there has been a very good balance of decisions made between the coaches and recruitment depts. At the end of the day time will judge the decisions made. Fingers crossed

I think we all get it: you think the coaching staff took over Prendergast in an unlawful coup...

To be perfectly honest - recruiting in the AFL is the most speculative in all of 'draft oriented sports' in this world, so I don't see the problem of the coaching staff getting to choose the RL players as a rule going forward. It makes the train-on players motivated as there is a definite position on the cards if they put the effort in.

I love the way McKenzie goes about his footy but geez he has terrible disposal - Im tipping he may struggle to get a game next year if he doesnt clean it up. As for the rest of our picks - maybe Magner and Williams are ones to look out for.

I think you have a point. I remember listening to Malthouse provide special comments on a Melbourne game late last year. He was less than complimentary about Jordie - saying pretty much that he avoided kicking the pill and his handballs were routinely intercepted or missed the target. While I think this opinion might have filtered down to Neeld when at Collingwood, I don't think it would condemn the man - just give him a bit to work on at this time.

I think a number of our selections have been modest. At this stage Mitch Clark seems to have been the hot selection. The rest have an awful lot to prove. But with our developing list one need only expect a couple of this years selections to make it. Clark and Sheahan look the most likely to me. Stella has a lot to do but if he improves in our environment that would be a coup. All the other runners might help, perhaps with a few games as we need replacements through the year. And who knows a smokey might come good. We got what we need for the moment, but recruiting is a long term game and I'm not to worried about the overall success of this years recruiting. Next two years are the important ones as we use the high compensation picks.

Realistically, if you have three ND picks at 36+ and four rookie picks, your chances of success with each one are not that high.

If we got one or two average AFL players out of that lot I'd be more than pleased. If we get a Bail, a McDonald and a Mackenzie, it's better than average.

People are expecting too much if they think it will be much better than that.

• Like 1

I think a number of our selections have been modest. At this stage Mitch Clark seems to have been the hot selection. The rest have an awful lot to prove. But with our developing list one need only expect a couple of this years selections to make it. Clark and Sheahan look the most likely to me. Stella has a lot to do but if he improves in our environment that would be a coup. All the other runners might help, perhaps with a few games as we need replacements through the year. And who knows a smokey might come good. We got what we need for the moment, but recruiting is a long term game and I'm not to worried about the overall success of this years recruiting. Next two years are the important ones as we use the high compensation picks.

Don't forget that after his 1st season on the rookie list, Adelaide tried to lure McKenzie away on a big contract but he wanted to stay and repay the club's early faith in him.

Neil Craig is obviously a fan.

Jordie's skills are better than 2011 indicated.

I think savoydee might mean "another McKenzie" in terms of a player who flew under the radar and wasn't really fancied when drafted but turned into a really good one after a year's grounding at the club.

As for his kicking, I beg to differ in that I don't believe our midfield set ups under Bailey were particularly conducive to producing good disposal by foot. Our players were often hurried coming out of the middle and had less protection when doing so and I believe this often affected their disposal, particularly by foot. I'll be very interested to see what Neeld does with our midfield set ups and how he can effect improvement in that division which was often found wanting in the past despite the efforts of players like Moloney, Jones and McKenzie.

You are spot on

Don't forget that after his 1st season on the rookie list, Adelaide tried to lure McKenzie away on a big contract but he wanted to stay and repay the club's early faith in him.

everyone should be a fan of this kid...he may never have the elite kicking skills of a pendlebry or judd but he has more ticker than both of them combined.

i think there needs to be a spot in the team for a 1% player. the nut case who is going to throw his body around, accepting death before dishonour and the bruises associated with such play.

jordie mckenzie is one of those few players who seem to become 10foot tall and bulletproof when putting on the jumper. he seems to actually care about the MFC as an institution rather than just a footy team and therefore he should be applauded for the 5chase downs and 10team acts a game (plucked the numbers out of the air) rather than booed for his 4missed handballs.

matty whelan and daniel ward made solid careers off playing this style of football

• Like 1

I think savoydee might mean "another McKenzie" in terms of a player who flew under the radar and wasn't really fancied when drafted but turned into a really good one after a year's grounding at the club.

As for his kicking, I beg to differ in that I don't believe our midfield set ups under Bailey were particularly conducive to producing good disposal by foot. Our players were often hurried coming out of the middle and had less protection when doing so and I believe this often affected their disposal, particularly by foot. I'll be very interested to see what Neeld does with our midfield set ups and how he can effect improvement in that division which was often found wanting in the past despite the efforts of players like Moloney, Jones and McKenzie.

Im pretty sure there is only one McKenzie.

I think you have a point. I remember listening to Malthouse provide special comments on a Melbourne game late last year. He was less than complimentary about Jordie - saying pretty much that he avoided kicking the pill and his handballs were routinely intercepted or missed the target. While I think this opinion might have filtered down to Neeld when at Collingwood, I don't think it would condemn the man - just give him a bit to work on at this time.

Exactly my point. I actually heard Malthouse say this myself on SEN later in the year and agreed with him fully. Obviously some people on Demonland think they have better opinions than someone of this calibre.

I think this is a bit over the top. To my understanding Adelaide said they would take Jordie if we didnt retain him.

everyone should be a fan of this kid...he may never have the elite kicking skills of a pendlebry or judd but he has more ticker than both of them combined.

i think there needs to be a spot in the team for a 1% player. the nut case who is going to throw his body around, accepting death before dishonour and the bruises associated with such play.

jordie mckenzie is one of those few players who seem to become 10foot tall and bulletproof when putting on the jumper. he seems to actually care about the MFC as an institution rather than just a footy team and therefore he should be applauded for the 5chase downs and 10team acts a game (plucked the numbers out of the air) rather than booed for his 4missed handballs.

matty whelan and daniel ward made solid careers off playing this style of football

I am a fan but I just think he has terrible disposal and always looks for the handball. But hey thats my opinion, Malthouse has his and people on here have theres.

We get a C+ from Knightmare, apparently based on losing an error-prone Warnock (while developing a great lot of younger defenders), the unknown virtues of Taggert taken at pick 36, and his lack of knowledge of Williams as our fourth rookie pick.

Ho hum. I can live with that.

Most telling post to date along with Acobar. Time will tell.

The Tipping McKenzie will struggle to get a game this year comment ................early nomination for the Oopsy I made a boo-boo award.

Most telling post to date along with Acobar. Time will tell.

The Tipping McKenzie will struggle to get a game this year comment ................early nomination for the Oopsy I made a boo-boo award.

I think there is a place for Jordie in the future and am a fan of his endeavour but I would not be suprised if this is the case. Neeld is clearly pushing for bigger bodies in the midfield. For this to happen those who are less developed will not get game time in there. I expect this to affect McKenzie and Gysberts in particular. Jordies value at this time is as a tagger as well as his defensive acts. Collingwood never really played midfielders with the primary role as tagging and I would not be surpsied if Neeld is not similar mindsert. Jordies ballgetting ability's are limited and in most cases ineffective. I expect he will spend a fair chunk of the year at Casey getting more mature in body and improving his midfield craft.

I think there is a place for Jordie in the future and am a fan of his endeavour but I would not be suprised if this is the case. Neeld is clearly pushing for bigger bodies in the midfield. For this to happen those who are less developed will not get game time in there. I expect this to affect McKenzie and Gysberts in particular. Jordies value at this time is as a tagger as well as his defensive acts. Collingwood never really played midfielders with the primary role as tagging and I would not be surpsied if Neeld is not similar mindsert. Jordies ballgetting ability's are limited and in most cases ineffective. I expect he will spend a fair chunk of the year at Casey getting more mature in body and improving his midfield craft.

Who, at this stage, is going to replace him?

yeah McKenzie will play. Realistically i'd expect Nicho to be the Rookie to be upgraded to the senior list (as was the case with Juice last year) and one of Magner or Couch will get Gawn's LTI spot. I cant see this, alont with our draft picks, being enough to keep both Mckenzie and Gysberts out of the side.

I think you've found your answer right there

Fair bit of artistic license used in the above description of Jordie.

I'm a fan, but I think that's way OTT.

willing to cop that, i do tend to get worked up talking about mckenzie but thats becuase i really do think he is the kind of player that this club needs.

his choice to stay on our ROOKIE list instead of going to the crows senior list shows that in this day and age of "mercenaries" there are still a few players who adhere to the old ways.

agree that despite his endeavour there are question marks over his disposal however IMO i'm more than willing to play the guy who is willing to go to the bottom of the pack to fetch the pill. its no good having the best skills in the world if you can't get the ball.

i will defend his style of play to the end because of all our players last year, how many actually showed that hunger for the ball and the willingness to do what needed to be done to get it?

seems to me that he and mitsubishi play a simliair game its just that magna is built like a brick shithouse due to a few extra years in the gym and working in construction (i think) and when jordie's body gets to a decent size he could be genuinely hurting people when he flies into packs...looking forward to it

(Self) love is blind!

good call buddy, how many hours did you spend on that gem? if your chasing cheap laughs mate post a video on youtube. at least try to further the discussion rather than making a closed statement which highlights your inability to form discussion points. i'll even start a thread so your brilliant one-liners will have a place to flourish

Ok they dangled the carrot. But as I said I think it was a bit over the top to say a big contract. He got offered more money hardly big? Rookies are on $40k.

And McKenzie sums his self up just as I have from my first post. "Im not blessed with great pace or unreal skills, but like a lot of fellas, I enjoy the physical contest." Couldnt agree with him more and as I said I think his disposal is terrible as does Malthouse and many more and nothing will change my opinion until he proves it.

The end.

I Agree. It would be nice to see him turn into the new Cameron Ling. As I said love the way he goes about it but really needs to clean his disposal up. If only the rest of the team had his desire with their skillset it would be a new MFC. Who knows we may even see it this year hopefully.

Who, at this stage, is going to replace him?

Likely someone that offers similar defensive traits but additional flexibility to the side and a stronger set of attacking attributes. I would think both Bail and Nicholson will be ahead of him at start of the season. We should also consider based on the clear plan for bigger bodied mids that likely one of Couch/Magner/Bate to be played as an additional big bodied mid.

Come on guys, the Malthouse thing is being taken out of context here. From my memory it was a game at Etihad where he also said the forwards were playing way out of position. It's hard to hit targets when they aren't presenting. Jordy came in well under prepared in 2011 but still gave us all he had, for some reason he always looked to hand off rather than kick and this is what Mick had a problem with, but at times maybe that was a better option than blazing away as beamer tends to do.

Our mid field let us down badly against solid opposition (Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood) and it was the senior players (flat track bullies), the so called big bodies who were responsible. A couple of seasons ago Mark Mclure said that Maloney and Silvia were dumb footballers and I couldn't agree more, they both play like junior footballers, they don't play team football they try to barge through opponents and get away with it against young teams such as Gold Coast, they always want to kick the ball rather than use team mates in a better position, this is primary school stuff.

Col Silvia is a forward and a damaging one when on song (not often enough), his peripheral vision is not good enough to be a quality mid and he and Maloney should never start together at a centre bounce, against quality teams they get creamed.

Jordie, in fact both Jordie's will be good footballers for the MFC. A good mid field needs at least 8 to 10 contributors with a couple of star quality players, Trengove will be one of those, Viney when he comes maybe, lets see who else stands up and in the meantime get off Jordies' back.

• Like 1

Whilst others are criticising McKenzie's kicking and I agree - his main strengths are getting the ball and getting it of to others by handball is excellent.Whilst his tackling is the best in the club.(Maloney the possible exemption)

Ok they dangled the carrot. But as I said I think it was a bit over the top to say a big contract. He got offered more money hardly big? Rookies are on $40k.

And McKenzie sums his self up just as I have from my first post. "Im not blessed with great pace or unreal skills, but like a lot of fellas, I enjoy the physical contest." Couldnt agree with him more and as I said I think his disposal is terrible as does Malthouse and many more and nothing will change my opinion until he proves it.

The end.

So, you were wrong, but you still choose to focus on a small aspect of the post, one that is subjective anyway, and attempt to use that to make you sorta right?

You were clearly wrong and you continue to be.

McKenzie's skills aren't half as bad as you paint them to be.

If anything, his at-times poor disposal in 2011 was by virtue of the places he gained possession of the football.

Your use of a throwaway, unverified line from Malthouse lend little extra weight to your argument.

Neil Craig was a clear fan.

And more than anything else, Neeld has promoted the need to fill the side with competitors who win their own footy - McKenzie is nothing if not a competitor.

Moloney will be gone from the list before McKenzie.